Etrian Odyssey Thread

It's everyones favorite series about your cute team of lolis going into a dangerous dungeon to fight eldrich abominations and die horrible deaths!

What game are you currently playing? What special run do you want to try next? Whats your favorite EO game? Will EOV ever make it to the west? Will EMD2 be any good? What grills would you fug?

This is my favourite design from EOV. EOV when?

Solo runs are fun

I'm going to name that one Arianrhod.

I'm leaning towards Valkyrie. She will be the leader of my guild.

I'm naming her 決して
BECAUSE THAT'S WHEN ATLAS IS GOING TO EVER FUCKING RELEASE THE DAMN GAME IN NON MOON

I've been wanting to try Solo Yggdroid for a long time, it looks fun

Do you guys have any stories/RPing you do in the games? My guilds are always Ascendi (if the labyrinth goes up) or Descendi (if it goes down), and if sovereigns are available, there will always be a shota named Agamemno, supposed to be the same shota each time.

already sounds stupid
why is this desirable to anybody?

But it's fun

I generally imagine how my characters react to events as I go along.

That's a big FOE

4U

if you take off his singer, will it die?

I'm looking forward to it.

It would be extremely baneful.

EO4(U).

So what's the best portrait and why is it Dark Brown Arbalist?

Why is dark brown is good?

Because she's confident and sexy and looks laid-back and DTF.

From what I've seen on an earlier thread, someone contacted Atlus USA and got the answer that they actually still don't know if they're gonna localize it.

If you don't go in for the lolis, go in for the F.O.E.s

Who do we blame for this? I blame Untold 2 for being jewish

Because of the magic that is 2d. 2d can make everything look stunning and wonderful.

Probably, but you know what this means - Time to annoy the GBAcucks for a fan translation, if people aren't willing to make one with the available tools (there's a general translation tool for 3DS games now)

Fixed.

I was talking officially. You wouldn't want to do something illegal and immoral like pirating, right?

日本語を習い

Officially, it looks like it'll never come, so fan translations are acceptable until the announcement of the game's official release.

The game is accessible enough to not need any Japanese knowledge (with the menus being accessible in English, and the skill lists being available on the wikis) but the more the game is accessible, the more people will touch it, and the more people will harass for an official release. The only losers in the story are Fatlus.

I know there's a lot of text in the game, but I wouldn't be surprised if the biggest thing keeping them from localizing it was the Voice Acting. That shit is an expensive waste no matter what route you go. Voice acting was a mistake

Then there's a simple choice - FUCKING. KEEP. THE. JAPANESE. VOICES.

Le licensing meme though

Then just say fuck it and release it without VA. Its not like EO ever needed va in the first place.

A game without my beloved Saorin's voice is a game not worthy playing. Not to mention scrump Nakata Jouji, or Horie Yui.

No voices, no buy.

Voice Acting has no place in EO, where you're supposed to role play and use your imagination in the traditional old school dungeon crawler.

Same with Story, Automapping, and Floor Jump.

You are the cancer killing EO.

Saorin's heavenly voice supersedes and trumps all that nerd shit. Imagination or role play doesn't intrinsically make any game better, but hearing the velvety subtly of her shrieks and moans bestow upon you a sheer bliss that can positively effect your attitude not only towards the gameplay experience, but indeed all other aspects of life as well.

She is a truly a wonder, and any faggot(s) that removes her from a game deserves no money.

I used one against the 6th stratum boss, Front Mortar is so good.

Who cares is right. Besides with CFW you can restore to the original VA anyway.

I've been waiting several days to call you a faggot and the cancer that is killing EO, and we're finally back online.

You're the cancer killing EO.

Front Mortar is amazing, I did a run of two characters once long ago with a Princess/Monk and a Arbalist/Ninja. It was incredibly fun, and that Front Mortar damage is incredible. Arbalist is easily my favorite class in all of EO, the skills are so fun.

I pretty much maxed out Berserker Vow, Giant Kill and that skill with the chance to do a double attack with mine. Along with my Gladiator and Zodiac I managed to defeat the superboss under 10 turns.

What happens when you marry the anime?

nah

Holla Forums is full of cancer

i fixed it for you

Best dungeon crawler in years, full of cute girls, and yet there are so few doujins and fanart.

nah

But EO is fun, and has a great OST by Yuzo Koshiro.

Most of the doujins are "Bad End" which suck dick.

yeah thats what a loli is
here's a superior one anyway

You are shit, your tastes are shit, your brain is shit and your mother gave birth to a piece of shit.

It dosen't help that it's almost a dead genre.
What else has been released recently? Legend of Grimrock? I still prefer EO.

go back to 4Burch

There's… EO, Stranger of Sword City which is alright but has some annoying design choices, Didn't CoH3 or 4 come out relatively recently too? Oh wait there was that really shitty game about breast sizes or something.

Aside from those and Grimrock which you already mentioned, the dungeon crawling genre is really dead.

So with EO2U selling like shit and how the Japanese audience hates the Untold games will we ever see an EO3U?

I'd be more concerned about ever seeing a mainline EO game in not moon.
Better learn moon if you want to stay with it.

I hope not, EO3 is an incredible game, still the best one in the series. And while I'd love in theory a remake of it, it doesn't need a remake and I'd be scared they'd do it wrong.

Did Persona kill EO?

one of the things (maybe the only thing) the untold remakes did right was porting the old games into the eo4 engine, which is just plain better than the old engine.
i'd like it just for that, but with the story mode and dlc i sure wouldn't be buying it day one.

Why haven't people made mods to fix Untold and Untold 2? damage sponges kill U2 for me.

Well it looks from marketing team emails and nonsense like that Atlas USA "doesn't know" if they're going localize it. Honestly who knows. EO5 is fun though if you understand moon. Would reccomend

EO3 is a let down for me because of how poorly balanced it is, the classes are all interesting, but half of them are near useless in practice.

EOU1 is fine until the postgame.

Considering what happened with EO2 I share your concern.

I'm ok with EOU but the DLC fest among other issues with EO2U makes me hope they will move on to EOVI and forget about the Untold series altogether.

Eo3's classes I thought were the best option though. All of them are viable and there's no bullshit like in 1 or 2 where they're too obtuse to ever be usable, or end game teams only are useful if they're a specific set up. Subclassing really helped out there in making each class viable. You could argue it makes the game easy which wouldn't be untrue, (and EO3 is still more difficult than your standard JRPG), but if the choice was more freedom in class customization or being harder, I'd pick the former.

My biggest gripe with EO3 is honestly the fact stratums are 4 floors instead of 5. I understand why they did that, I just don't like it, and I'd want it fixed in a remake.

Fair enough, though Grimoires are bullshit and having all the remake content locked out of standard mode is bullshit. If they fixed those like they did in EOU2 it would've been great. Though I still don't think the series should have story modes

Yeah, the DLC really killed it, there are so many things you could say about why it's bad. The DLC handling and the Damage Sponge enemies sour the whole game for me.

The best addition in EOU2 was the cooking system and farming/gathering food items, I loved that. Does EO5 have that?

EO5 has that of sorts. You basically have an ingredients pouch which allows you to cook them in campfire spots within the labyrinth. It restores your HP/MP as you trek through the labyrinth.

Wait, they brought back the Campsites from EO3? Holy fuck, that's wonderful, they were the best compromise to dealing with healing in the Labyrinth

Since the game was me keep notes on the map I usually mark down any significant event that occurs. I also don't run a complete Guild I usually have a single party that I will carry it through the entire Labyrinth. In the first game my protector was in a romantic relationship with our medic. And my Alchemist and landsknecht we're the best and Bros because one kept both in the other. Archer mostly kept to himself but was a broad nonetheless.

Cothragl in the first game was the bane of everyone's existence and the reason I had to respect my protector. And the reveal of the 5th stratum left me awed because I didn't expect it.

I meant buffing. Alchemist + landschnekt was a solid pair for combat.

I cannot describe the rage i feel

What's the consensus on EO2U, worth a run through?

Pirate. Play. No exceptions.

With all these games available the
limiting factor becomes time rather than money.
That said, I will buy EO5 when it's (never) released in English.

Better to play EO2, EO3, EO4, EOU (Classic/Expert) and when it releases, EOV.

If you have a 3ds with piracy and no other games to play, Sure give it a shot.
but you're better off playing EO2 instead

Everyone seems to be lethargic about a EOV english release official or not.
Atlus usa doesn't know if itll be released
fan communities don't seem to care about making an effort to make an English patch

You know what you have to do

yea you're right i'll start back up
But that doesn't change the fact that i still wont be able to play for almost a year.

I really want to work on an english patch.

There's some pretty good tools for fan translation for the 3DS out now, go poke around GBA temp with the monster hunter X/XX people.

oh also you don't really need to know that much japanese, as long as you can understand the skill description and play "mix and match" with what quests want you to get, you're golden

That is a big crossbow

4u

2D brown is truly a wonderful thing.

If she uses Berserker Vow would she die?

Indeed it is, indeed it is

It would be extremely painful

This looks interesting, which game does Holla Forums recommend jumping it with?

4 is the most beginner friendly but 3 is the best one overall.

Etrian Odyssey 3 is a very good starting point and you can still get it new. However, if you're interested there's a demo for Etrian Odyssey 4 on the 3DS eShop if you'd like to try it.

There's demos for Untold 1+2 on the 3DS eShop too but I wouldn't recommend them, they're very different from the usual style of the game.

Do you want any tips or heads up about the gameplay before starting it up?

I looked at the demo first before trying to find 3 or 4 at a good price, 9 squid for EO:IV on Eshop beats Amazins jewgold pricing of 32.99 and trying to find EO3 under 34 squid is nearly impossible.

What make 3 so much better than 4 that it's price is so damn high?

It's not that 4 is bad in any way, 3 just has more fun class designs and a cool ass theme. 4 is a little bit more easy than 3 (But still difficult by RPG standards) and there's like, 1 or 2 less classes.

Just emulate EO3, it's out of print so all you're doing is paying resellers who bloat prices

The first one. Stop listening to the EO3 crowing. It's a great game, but the optimal start is always going to be the very first title.

Also, videogamesplus.ca still has the trilogy set for a reasonable price.

It's such an optimal starting point the skills are mistranslated and it's buggier than all hell.

One. One skill is GLITCHED, not mistranslated. Happens to be the most-OP thing in the game. Also runs just fine aside of some pissy item-fetch grinding such as the grand ant for the best katana (which is about the only difficult grind at all).

Game's perfectly fine.

A few are blunt when it means slashing and vice versa

That sounds like the quickest way to turn someone off the series. EO has come a long ways since 1. 3 is definitely very beginner friendly.

I started with EO1 and didn't turn away. I have all of them except EOU2 due to the severe jew practices within. Again, it's not like the mechanics are an impossible climb. You can function just fine in the game and it's as serviceable as all the later installments.

Not remembering which were bash vs slash, assuming the landshark's listing or the Dark Hunter or the culprits involved.

Made it out alive but bloody hell what did just happen. Reset the skill points in the guild maybe they'll work this time.

Wouldn't want anyone to have a difficult time in our series that is intended to be difficult, amirite? In fact, I'm sure that starting at the worst of the series, in terms of inconvenience and difficulty, would do more to prepare him for the road ahead than anything else.

Welcome to EO. Watch out for F.O.E.

What are you talking about though, EO1 is one of the easiest games in the series difficulty wise on par with 4 because of how overpowered the broken shit is

Sweet innocent child.

I'm disappointed in you. You can make better posts than that.

Having a medic or protector is cheesing the game now?

Dont forget en garde never showing you what it does in fight.

If you specifically use their broken OP powers as justification for the game being easy, certainly.

You can randomly choose abilities, and there are so many overpowered ones you're more likely to end up with OP ones than not OP ones.
The game's just easy.