Bethesda's game engine

What makes the Fallout and Skyrim games exactly so flawed?

It's not even the engine entirely even if it's part of the problem. There's mods that clearly show they can improve the games like Wanderer's Edition for Fallout 3. The issue is that Bethesda casualizes the story and gameplay to death to the point where it's not worth even giving a damn for. Bethesda hasn't made anything worthwhile in such a long time so why even care about it.

I was going to ask about this a while ago, for example they said spears weren't in Skyrim because of engine limitations, right? Why? Does the engine have a limit of weapon types and animations assigned to them? Why would you design your engine like that?

Also I assume that's mostly their fault and not the engines, Bully's PC version runs on Gamebryo and that has working mirrors for example IIRC

Gamebryo wasn't made by Bethesda

There's mods that add spears to Skyrim so it's not that. Bethesda simply cut out more weapon types because they'd have to balance them out, animate them and add more artifacts with spears, which Bethesda is too lazy to do.

Heck, Fallout 4 is by far their biggest mess as well and that's telling something.

That's bullshit. Nothing in the engine prevents spears.All it takes is a proper animation and model.

Mods can do wonders, so it's not that.
Game's just unpolished.

I'd blame Console parity actually.

Can't disagree.

Because being good takes effort.

Has any other company used the same engine for over 15 years?

Do Slit Striders have any R34?

what the fuck

People say that OpenMW could be used to make new games but it main priority seems to be fixing Bethesda's shitty code.

I guess you could technically count Source Engine.

Even Valve made a new engine which they aren't using. But they made it.

Hey dudes, any clue what Julian Fay's up to? Has he quit the industry?

Fallout 4 was the best open world loot and shoot game I've ever played, no matter how bad it was. That's the problem, Bethesda has no direct competitor. The formula of going everywhere, entering every building, fully interactive interior objects and clutters, doing anything in a sandbox themepark, and inventory management, has never been tried by any other dev to a full degree. The lack of direct competitor means Bethesda can sell their games well no matter how bad they are. Though I still give them credits for taking risks in doing many new things and fixing some of the flaws of their previous games, unlike, say, the devs of CoD, Battlefield, Halo, etc.

Also, Beth has a problem with their xenophobic staff hiring. This might give no room for incompetent devs to enter the team, but the lack of new staffs also means that it would be hard to improve the company's performance.

Looks like he's not interested in video game development anymore.

I need to know.
I can't find any.

autistic people run rampant in game design and they are literal retards

Do you not remember that?
I remember shortly after release somebody modded in spears, and there was constant shitposting on Holla Forums over it.
>SPEARS CAN'T BE ADDED BECAUSE OF ENGINE LIMITATIONS attached picture of spear mod
That was five and a half years ago, holy fuck

They only had to copy some of the shit from Oblivion with guns, vegas edition.
But nah, engine limitations.

It was a horrible attempt at a pun, I know it's "Silt".

AH yes…

You mean the brand new Creation Engine™?
There's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

That's the same shit they tried to pull with Fallout 4 and aircrafts and lo and behold someone modded in a functional ground attack jet

I wouldn't say it's Gamebryo's fault, considering Bully was Gamebryo and was a great game and Fallout 4 is on Creation but a bigger mess of the same issues. The problems lie within just how stupid Bethesda treats its consumers. Look at all these loose objects tossed about at random to make one feel like they're in a realistic environment when realistically you would just ignore them instead of picking them up at all to over-encumber yourself or sell them to some idiot who will actually give you pocket change for them. Here's the anticlimactic and overdramatic plots of FO3 and Skyrim but you won't notice how stupid they are because IT'S ALL UP TO YOU, PLAYER-SENPAI. Here's a village of a bunch of teenage shits who can barely hold their own located leagues away from where they came from as arbitrarily competent children, RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO RAD OGRES. The Greybeards have called you! Go! Now! Or a few weeks after you've eaten every poisonous bug and plant along the way, we're only pretending to be urgent while dragons are terrorizing the world. Normally some crazy Daedra equipment could be found from killing these powerful enemies using your skill (or shield and one-handed like this entire game is based around), but you're low-level so here's an iron weapon until you've grinded which also increases enemies health. And in Fallout 4 there could have been skills, decent writing, or any god damn role playing in this pseudo role playing game, but who cares about any of that when you can play Gears of War with bullet time while pretending to have good taste in music in between sessions of Minecraft? Fuck these potato-tested, casual approved piece of trash games.

If it ain't broken

Fallout 4s engine supports PBR and all the latest features, its way more advanced than "Creation Engine"

everyone who complains about how things are doesn`t understand how the object management works in this engine,
its an incredible system that nobody else has,
revamping that means with coming up with something revolutionary

Also the latest version utilized in F4 is not that bad really, its even more stable and still mod friendly (incredibly hard to pull off)

Their lie was debunked before it was told.
New Vegas had spears.

But Bethesda can't make a decent game if their life depended on it so it really doesn't matter.

Thank god.

Go back to reddit autistic faggot.

The problem with Fallout 4 was the bland writing. It has nothing to do with plot holes. Seriously, who cares if it's entertaining? But the writing of Fallout 4 wasn't entertaining. In Fallout 2, you got entertaining and memorable stuff such as dumb dialogue options, Sulik, doing works for New Reno mafias in many choices of orders, and so on. I don't care about the scientific details of FO2, but it had a lot of fun. Fallout 4 was boring in that regard.

Also, Gamebyro is only a tacked on engine. Bully actually used modified San Andreas engine in it's development. And the fact that Rockstar games cost almost three times of Bethesda's should say something.

New Vegas could might as well called New Workarounds… to engine problems

Plot consistency is important. Not because of anything else but because Bethesda has shown that it can do decent writing yet they refuse to just like every other mechanic in their games. It's just depressing.

Trips for absolute truth, Skyrim diverged in this manner so badly I couldn't enjoy the gameplay, the shitty quasi dice-rolling mmo style combat just wrecked it for me.

Back when Daggerfall came out, it was acceptable that the game played like a hybridization of Hexen and an RPG. MMO gameplay is shitty because of constraints such as bandwidth issues, why you'd want to hamstring your gameplay in an action RPG so badly is beyond me.

Bethesda really does it's best to pander to the landfill seagulls of the consumer demographic now.

I don't even care about the main plot of Fallout 2. I didn't care about the tedious and cringeworthy president's speech in enclave. I only focus on the small things, and they were entertaining. Fallout 4 has lots of bizarre side quests as well, but they weren't as well written as the ones in FO2.

Slow down there, nigger, you just mentioned one of the GOOD aspects of Bethesda games.

The engine they used since Morrowind is called NetImmerse, they only used Gamebryo's graphics renderer. They no longer used that renderer with Skyrim and made their own, hence the name change to Creation. The core NetImmerse is still there though heavily, heavily modified. Arma is in a similar situation, they've been using the frankenstein Real Virtuality engine for about the same amount of time Bethesda has been using NetImmerse though the RV engine is in a far worse state.

Bethesda is honestly just lazy. Fallout 4 is their first game that feels like it's on a AAA budget with good graphics, sounds, and animations, aside from how shit the rest of the game is. But as an example of their laziness, Fallout 4 renders shadows on 1 (ONE) CPU core in the current year and the whole game runs like complete shit because of it, it's fucking pathetic.

Is the single-threaded CPU deal because of Gamebryo (NetImmerse) or because of Bethesda? I still remember people bitching about poor performance in Oblivion back when it launched because it basically only used one core ever.

It's because of Bethesda. Engines aren't set in stone, you can modify them for your use, especially if you have as much control over your engine as Bethesda does with theirs. They chose not to optimize their game. Whether it's because of time constraints or laziness nobody can say but I'm willing to bet it's the latter.

And FO4 fixed that by making all the objects useful for crafting material anyway.

Still better than Oblivion, the whole game runs like shit on multi core PC's. And looks like the still have a lot of problem with texture rendering, many objects look low quality when observed up close. They DO fix the performance and gameplay problems of their games though, but it's still hard for them to catch up.

I love how they listen to their fans' complains and try to overdo themselves everytime, but keep failing most of the time.

I don't know, BGS could be a framework for an ideal development studio, but they have everything but technical competency. They actually listen to their fans, but somehow still screw up.

I've been modding Morrowind since 2005 and it has given me relatively few problems while maintaining a good performance, even with dozens, if not 100+ mods.
Oblivion was an utter disaster when it was released; I remember the good old times before Bethesda's final patch, and during the one or two years that I actually bothered with it, you always had to fuck around with load orders, install performance mods, and pray that something didn't fuck up.
The first freeze I had in a vanilla Fallout 3 was five minutes after leaving the Vault you start in. In New Vegas, it was right after leaving the Doc's house, and to this day I have to install several utilities that improve its performance even on my new computer. Ridiculous, but at least that one's a good game.
I didn't bother much with Bethesda games after that, but if they utilize an engine that hasn't been stable since the mid-2000s, how can they not be flawed?

Plot is important as far as the quality of it being a major factor in what you do or where you visit and with side quests it makes or breaks them.

Remember when TES was good? Also does anyone have a roll character picture for Morrowind?

Actually no, you?

Plot is nothing more than a blueprint, you need a good execution.

Morrowind only used a single engine. Every game since Oblivion had a lot of modifications and modules implemented.

I don't think that TES was ever bad, even Oblivion and Skyrim had their charm.

And that's all it takes for games to be good, charm.

I've never had any issues with Bethsoft games aside from bugs, they run fine. Only issues are that Oblivion doesn't like alttabbing and no borderless fullscreen.

Throwable spears at that.

blizzard's been modyfing the warcraft 3 engine for ages

So the epic meme from Skyrimjob came from NV..
Fucking hell Bethesda.

It wasn't even a meme then.

In my personal opinion, it's because of 3 things:
Firstly, the combat. Melee is boring ass weird flaily weapons that doesn't feel right. Damn they don't even have hitstop. Arrows and magic work alright and are way better than the melee, but they both lack depth they could be better.
Second is how healing works in the game. You either use healing spells that are OK, they take a bit of time and mana but get the job done. Or you can, you know, pause the game in the middle of getting mauled and click 20 potions until your HP is maxed, that works better.
And lastly the save system, it really breaks the game, being able to save just anytime and anywhere and realoading freely. I'm the kind of guy that likes to use every tool the game gives me to my advantage, so this really kills the game to me. It should be more similar to dark souls in that regard, when every actions are final and death have a good weight. Or at least have saving ploints scattered around the world map, anything but quicksaving and loading, it's an "emulator cheating" tier system.

What?
Unless you're carrying all your souls all the time, dying is nothing.

Not quite, see it like this:
If you die in dark souls you go back to the checkpoint, lose humanity, enemies respawn, you potentially lose souls, wasted items, etc. It's not a super heavy death but it happened and it's effects will exist no matter what.
If you die in Skyrim, you either go back in time a long way, which is pretty unfair in my opinion depending on how much stuff you did, or if you're lucky and happened to just save, you lose nothing you never died and get to re-do the next fight for free until you win it. The punishment for death is based on how often you save the game and you can either lose nothing or lose a rare random drop or lots of progress. Combine that with saving anywhere everywhere and you've got no consequence for death at all.
While in darksouls if slip or experiment with a cliff far from the bonfire with enemies already dead you'd have to kill em all over again, but wouldn't 100% negate everything you did until then.

You mean hit lag or frame freeze? They're goddamn horrible and ugly. Games that use hitlags are worse than Skyrim. There should be flinching, not hitlags.

Quicksaving allows you to play a game at any pace. You want to retry from the beginning? That's fine, no more quicksaving in this area. No one cares about your epik mlg skillz faggot.

Almost all CRPG games have quicksaves, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Not everyone is a masochist. I don't understand why darksoulsfags are obsessed with punishment. I just want a good challenge, not punishment.

Elder Scrolls games are never punishing anyway, save for getting lost in a Daggerfall dungeon, that shit is just whack. Morrowind lets you become a literal god through enchanted equipment and alchemy.

You can get really powerful builds with the right gear too. I mean, I play on a harder difficulty with Morrowind Rebirth but even I like saving around. Nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, dark cuck fags are truly cancer. They don't understand the difference between challenging and punishing.

More like Morrowind.

I never heard about this. I doubt it's true. The LOD is janky because the world is divided into cells and loads low quality versions of meshes in the distance, the reason the LOD is janky is because their method for generating it is very old. The Morrowind Graphics Extender has better LOD than Skyrim imo. I don't know what you mean by moon gravity. The reason they don't have ladders is because the AI in their games has trouble navigating on the Y axis, so it's easier to make ladders into portals than fix the AI. Also I don't get what you're talking about with steps, they have had step walking animations since Fallout 3, that is an actor's legs move according to their elevation. They just don't bother to properly make steps a lot of the time and have a smooth collision mesh instead of a collision mesh with steps on it, that's why it might look like you're sliding up the steps.

That and they've been using the same engine for 15 years now, they are familiar with it, modders are familiar with the SDK, they don't need to change anything. They showed with Fallout 4 that they can make a good framework for a game, they can update the engine to make it look good and play well, but they can't be assed to optimize it or make a good game of it either.

It's to simulate impact and adds a lot of weight in the animations, makes it better for you to feel if a hit connects or misses a target. It's not supposed to freeze the entire game, just the objects interacting, Smash Bros does this very well. And yes, fliching is always welcome and I can't believe I forgot skyrim doesn't do this well.
Are you a souls fan too, flinching is a huge thing in souls so you must be. XD

it also allows you to cheese the game, let's add a non debug/cheat toggleable godmode setting so that players can play at a better pace too. Damn, I don't like when games have an easy difficulty setting but at least then you know you're playing on an easier setting and the game itself balances it out, being able to change difficulty mid-game is retarded tough.

Thanks for warning me.

Both Elder Scrolls and the Souls series have their challenges and punishments, it's just that in the Dark Souls game the punishment is consistently set by the game so your challenge is to consistently avoid that punishment, and in
Skyrim the punishment is set by you and your challenge is to not set up a harsh punishment so it doesn't matter if you fail.

It sure is good game design when you're a mage that can die easily but you can just save before every fight so it doesn't matter.

All the TES games also have the console. Which is a debugging tool. So that should be disabled too? I can understand having issues with failure states but there's only so much you can do with a failure state to begin with.

Well, debug is in it's own category.
Ideally and in most cases debugging tools aren't in the final product since it's use is to locate and remove potential bugs, mistakes errors, etc.
In some cases it's left in because the devs are either lazy or think the game might have bugs or shit left in it after release, so the debug tool is like a last resort thing to "cheat to fix the game", it can also be used to straight up cheat without fixing anything, but then that's objectively cheating, using the game's own save system to it's full potential or turning on the easy mode setting in the game's options menu isn't cheating.

Leaving the console in has its reasons. If you understand the commands you can fix glitches (which happen in all games) or simply to cheat your way like you mentioned. But the save systems vary from pacing style to pacing style. In Skyrim saving isn't all that important since the pacing is fast paced and you get a save each time you leave or enter an interior. While in Dark Souls the pacing is not as fast. Games with tons of saving are games that are very slow usually. That's why that system is there, so you don't lose tons of progress. Otherwise the system extends the gameplay time for no justifiable reason (refer to the lives system).

Being flawed is one thing. Being 15 years old is another.

It's still ugly. It's the laziest form of response. Flinching is the only acceptable form of visual response.

Well don't cheese the game if you don't want to cheese the game. What's so hard about that? Saving is a very optional feature.

No, normal games don't rely on punishment. They rely on challenge.

I actually have no problem with toggelable cheat menu. I don't get the point of having to look up the internet to find a cheat code. You get overpowered nevertheless.

Well, don't hit F6 if you don't want to. What's the problem with you? Just unbind the F6 altogether.

I get ya. I'd still prefer a system with those quicksaves that quit the game and then can be loaded a single time and then vanish than real saves anywhere, for saving in slower games you'd just need well positioned save points. That's my preference tough, as I do realise that those slower games could be awful to lose progress with, I think that being able to re-do anything at will is still cheap.

Hitstop is good if done right, bad if not done and awful if done wrong, it's supposed to be very very quick just for you to feel the weight of something hitting another thing, you probably played a game with shitty hitstop to be thinking like this. Flinching have another purpose altogether, showing you that the enemy was hit is a subproduct of it doing it's intended purpose, that is to cancel an enemy's actions and shortly immobilize it.

same with "A pressing"

They complement each other, if you're not punished for failing you've no reason no to fail, so there's no challenge. You're probably thinking of punishment as having to go back to a far away checkpoint or losing stuff if you die, and that is punishment, but it's not limited to that. Even losing to a boss and having to fight it straight from the beggining of the fight is punishing you for dieing, tough it's a very light punishment(kaizo level bossfights have an excuse for this). Imagine if a game let you revive at full health in the middle of a bossfight if you died, there would be no punishment and as a result there would be no real challenge(That's why PSO2 sucks).
My point is that it's better when a game sets up it's own punishments thus have a challenge that you have to overcome by wits or skill(or grinding) and not by just deciding to save right before an event after you already died to it once and lost a lot of progress and shortening it's punishment.
Cheats are cheats, you're not playing the game as it should be played, saving is an integral part of the game and you should use it, but it's the most efficient way to deal with the punishments so it ends up being used the most and pretty much removing most of the challenge by removing most of the punishment.

I hated it in smash bros, I hated it in nier, I hated it in king of fighter, I hated it in everything I've played. It literally STOPS an animation for a moment, making it look rough.

No, visual feedback doesn't work that way. Is it responsive? Yes, no doubt. But it's also ugly to see a twitchy animation.

It doesn't have to. GTA IV's enemies flinch when they get shot, but they keep shooting at you. I think flinching should be divided into light flinching and heavy flinching, whereas light flinching only makes the enemies look a bit moved by a collision without affecting much of their action, heavy flinching should make them stagger or even fall. I think flinching and staggering should be classified as two different things in video game mechanic. Dark Souls has no flinching, only staggering.

Atari 2600 games still give a lot of challenge despite the only punishment is losing all the useless pointless score.

Quicksave doesn't do that. It lets you retry any section you want. That's different from changing your current stats.

No it's not. That's a completely subjective opinion.

Punishment and challenge are different things, my point still stands. Even though both arouse tension, both are completely different things.

People with taste, find their own path and end up loving a subgenre of games.

People with no taste, end up playing what everyone else is doing. The most bland, open, unspecific sandbox for all demographics.

I like Bethesda games not because everyone likes it though. Subjectivity isn't that simple.

I never tought I'd see someone disliking this.
I just cannot comprehend how you think it looks wrong, I mean in real life punching the air air is something but actually hitting something really has an impact and stops the fist even if just for a moment, even clean cuts slow down blades a little unless you're cutting butter.

Do not pretend that looks stupid as fuck, but I get what you're talking about. I think dark souls does this too, if not dark souls it's another game I'm not remembering, maybe Dragon's Dogma, The character twitches a bit but doesn't stop it's actions, but heavier attacks do stagger them.

If that's really the case then there's no real challenge, just keep dieing and brute force until you eventually win.

I didn't say it did. I used that as an extreme analogy to show that punishment is heavily tied to challenge.

I really do believe that in most cases, not having completely free quicksave/load objectively benefits the game. It's a matter of your punishment being dependant on the game rather than you. It's like playing soccer but only getting penalties if you feel like it(by reloading and not risking the penalty).

I do agree with you that punishment and challenge are different things, but proper punishment enhances the challenge.

But you ended up there. Playing generalistic crap. You failed to stand apart and now you eat grass.

Does pausing an animation not look wrong to you? It prevents it from looking smooth, it's janky.

Does time stop when the fist stops?

No, the enemies either don't stop at all or get their action cancelled.

The game itself is challenge.

And? It's not like every soccer game is a championship, I just want to have fun with my buddies in sport.

Punishment enhances the TENSION, not challenge. Challenge and punishment are two entirely different things. You don't get whipped for losing a tennis game. Don't be so dense.

What if I like it if one game has everything? What if I like the idea of playing different games with unified progress and theme?

btw, there's nothing wrong with not being an elitist faggot. I play what I like to play.