Vanguard Banditis

I got nostalgic and downloaded this to play again.

Anyone has similar games to recommend?

Post male clang NOW

Sorry, I don't do robots…

Similar? As in TRPGs with mechs?
Front Mission, SRW, some other one off games like VB.
Even though front mission 3 is my favourite, I find VB to be overwhelmingly charming and between music, art style and multiple routes I like it much more than any given SRW.

Yes I do realize that it's one of the worst localizations in history putting 8-4 and the like to shame.
Still even as a kid I managed to see past that and appreciate story and characters for what they are.
And when replaying it years later I recognized poorly interpreted anime humour and cliches, which only helped me to love the game even more.

Vanguard Bandits in Super Robot Wars never.

Also how the fuck did they work when they ran on slightly better medieval technology.

Magic.
If you can throw fireballs and shit while piloting a mech, why wouldn't it work off magic to begin with?

You think that's bad? Xenoseries mechs will never be playable in a mainline SRW, despite KOS-MOS and T-ELOS being playable in one of the OG spinoffs.

Fuck working designs tbh, because game is god-tier and deserved much better translation and recognition.
Also I've read somewhere on the internet that they dummied a bunch of content out, like a story route or two, fucking hacks.
Proper Epica Stella fan translation never ever.

Can anyone confirm this? Would love to know more about those routes if that's true.

I definitely remember this rumor from back in the day, but I can't find anything concrete about it now, so I guess it's just one of those urban video game legends like resurrection of Aerith in FF7 or recruiting Cloud in FFT that usually surrounded japanese games back in the day.

but you can do that

Can someone explain to me why no one has yet made a musou game where the commanders are actually mechs like the ones in Escaflowne?

Also, any loot you get is components for your mech you can use to customize it.

No market. Unless it has gundam name on it or is some call of duty clone people just won't buy game with mechs.

Isn't that just Gundam Breaker?

That's what I implied.

SRW OG breaker would be fun and be a lot more varied, as it has things besides muh "realistic" reals.

There is SRW OG gundam versus clone, guess what? It sold like shit.

Loved that game. I wish there is more like it. I just love the multiple paths you can take in this game. Western localization was dog shit though. Music is so good too.

Kudos to them at least for throwing the strategy guide right in with the game, since there was essentially no way NOT to get the gut-punching bad ending on your first playthrough without using a guide.

I never really minded WD anyways, though, to be honest. People like 8-4 approach localization as "Now the game is BETTER because it's social justice approved, say it's the great or else you evil cis male" whereas WD just seemed to be having fun fucking around.

I agree with this.
Also knowing how japanese games are it's probably not THAT far from the original script.

Getting all those levels to survive that desert map was bullshit at times.

Dark Prison was pretty good though.

Yeah, despite the translation, there's not really any politics bullshit to speak of, aside from, like, a bill clinton reference in one of the early games. Even their newer games, despite the new company doing stupid shit like seemingly blowing all the VA budget on soundtrack CDs, cover variants, custom shipping boxes, fucking postsers, etc still haven't really done anything different from the shit they've been doing for over a decade, and i can respect that. Though the head of the company has been posting on NewFAGs for neigh on a decade and hasn't been banned, so maybe it's only a matter of time.

bump

Where is your 1990s localization company?

Looking at persona Working Designs look almost like competent guys.

This game is cool, but I suck at it. I took the rite where you believe the desert guy when he says he has the macguffin, and now I'm trapped in an ambush.

I assumed this was the hard route, but damn.

Man I loved the shit out of this game when I was younger. I liked that you could choose what stats you wanted when you levelled up. Speed is OP as fuck though. It determines dodge as well as how many turns you get, so everytime I play now its just: hit the threshold for character's special moves, then throw all your points into speed.

faggot

i got the good end on my first playthrough just because i was autistic about keeping all the party members happy. i did use a guide to find all the alternate routes and other optional stuff though.

the ambush wasn't too bad when you compare it to shit in tactics ogre where you can't even pull back the unit being ambushed because they'll keep trying to kill everything at once.

Your service is appreciated given /clang/ is down.

Same here. I didn't even know what the camp conversations did exactly when I first touched the game so I just talked to characters I liked. Its probably more the fact that I hardly let anyone die that I managed to get the good end.

One thing I hate about this game. On pretty much all the routes, throughout a large portion of the game you have AI controlled team members that essentially steal exp/money from you. Not getting exp is bad enough in a game where you can't grind but getting to a shop and not being able to upgrade everyone's equipment sucks.

For fuck sake anons, this is not an appropriate way to show your respect.

If robots want to be sexy for us of their own volition who are we to judge? :^)

It's back up now.

robbits dehserv respek

It has a good plot, but it's extremely hard.

*have