Why isn't "Zelda" considered a Metroidvania series

Aside from the second game where it's an RPG and the three "open-world" titles (The original, ALBW, and BotW), the entire the progression of all of the games is like a Metroidvania title, just with individual dungeons added on.

"Metroidvania" is a shit term anyways. They're all action-adventure, with games like 2D Metroid and IGAvanias being specifically 2D and having platformer mechanics.

With that in mind, only Zelda II could be considered "Metroid-like", if we consider IGAvanias with similar RPG progression to be like Metroid.

Not side scrawlin.

Is Mario considered to be one? Sonic? Megaman? Kirby?

If you use the word's "metroidvania" "souls-like" or any other bullshit term made up by gen7 babbys you should consider ending yourself because you're just wasting matter and space.

There's Amazing Mirror for Kirby.

And the ZX series for Megaman.

What do these three games have in common?

They are all "metroidvania" style, and they were all released in 1984.

The first Metroid and the first Castlevania were both released in 1986.

Ok, different question- why is Zelda considered good?

Wew.

The main difference as far as I can see it, is that Zelda has an overworld, and Metroidvanias are one continuous dungeon. Dark Souls is basically what Zelda as a Metroidvania would be.

Jesus

Well, it doesn't have the whole element of weapons doubling up as a key to open access to new areas, but the level structure is pure Metroidvania. Several dungeons that interconnect to form one big dungeon.

It's okay, everything is dark souls.

Right. Because people overuse the term, there are no games with genuine similarities to Dark Souls. Don't be a fag.

Because the term is used by shitty fucking Nintoddlers. Just ignore them, they are beyond fucking retarded. Nice thread though.

This.
MetroidVanias have central Hubs and backtracking is encouraged through the acquisition of items that give you access to new areas.

I do wonder if Metroid Prime trilogy is metroidvania, though. I like to connect the concept to elegant blocky 2D maps.

It's a joke.
Can't you detect a joke if it doesn't have "/s" or "kappa" at the end?

You're so desperate to fit in with the board culture you stop thinking. You are 15, and you are everything that is wrong with imageboards.

KAPPA123
Do you not know the wide spread epidemic that has infected the hobby known as Video Games?

I didn't even post the thing about Souls, I was just pointing out the guy was making a joke and there was no need to get upset.

I am so fucking upset right now.

I don't mean you, I mean this user
He's getting salty over someone making a joke about how everyone has to reference Souls games in a review.

It wasn't a joke. It was "oops, you've stepped outside of my arbitrary idea of how people on Holla Forums are supposed to act today, I'm going to attempt to publicly shame you".

No you fucking moron. He was posting a webm that made fun of people who keep shoving the word "Souls" into every review of every game.
Considering how upset you're getting over this, you're probably the kind of user who's never played a difficult game and thinks Souls are actually hard.

There was no need to bring it up, and your contrast of the games was completely wrong.

Dark Souls is very close to being SotN in 3D. How hard I think the game is has no relevence (it's a solid challenge, but it's hardest game ever made). I was right. You looked silly. Then you tried save face by insulting my skill at a video game like that has anything to do with anything.
And yes, I'm upset. I expect more from you people than mindless meme spouting and groupthink.

He is actually upset, holy shit.

It's more disappointment and exasperation.

Holy shit, please go back to Reddit.

There was supposed to be a "not" in there.

i like to put both games into the same genre. "game" makes shit alot more simpleā€¦ sub genres which are just letters of the alphabet.

Because it doesn't scroll side to side and it's also babby. Plus the Metroidvania games have extra shit to find to defeat enemies instead of a single item gotten from a boss to help you through the next area once or twice THAT ISN'T EVEN A GOOD WEAPON.

Zelda isn't metroidvania because it doesn't follow that structure. Most Zelda games are fairly horizontal in nature whereas Vanias incorporate verticality into their design. already mentioned it but Dark Souls could be considered that style of gameplay transitioned to 3D, though I'd only say the first game is like that and the sequels don't follow suit

Here is a list of all the metroidvanias ever made:
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Exactly, and it's a huge difference in the game flow. Zelda games have defined "dungeon" parts, where you get your important items and beat the bosses. Metroidvanias, on the other hand, are just a group of interconnected areas. There are no defined dungeon areas that you can measure progress by. Few Zelda games give the player incentive to revisit dungeons, too, and when they do, it's often for something tedious like gold skulltulas. In Metoidvanias, though, various items, that are instant upgrades, can be anywhere, giving the player incentive to run around in old areas.
I'll never understand what the hang-up is over using it for the entire game design structure. Metroid was the "originator", but Castlevania SotN cemented it as an actual genre, that other games could follow, in the public eye. And the public eye is what matters most when it comes to the evolution of language.

Why is Metroidvania the term anyway, it was a cool nickname for SOTN, but every other game it's just seems like people were too lazy to make a proper name.

Well, Zelda isn't usually considered a metroidvania because, in Super Metroid, the whole world is a dungeon, while, in Ocarina, the game is split into different dungeons which are separated by an overworld.

Don't worry user, I get what you're saying. These people are being faggots.

The cool thing about metroidvanias, is that half the Castlevanias don't follow the formula, and half the Metroids are first person shooters.

Is that Quadraxis from Zelda Classic mock-up or a real quest?
It looks similar to certain metroid themed quest I remember playing, but I dont remember it having that.

Doesn't the term Metroidvania come from Tenbux?

Why are you using a zoomed in picture of the 7th saga boxart?