Graphic engines thread

Is the Frostbite engine overrated or Bioware just gives it a bad name?

Other urls found in this thread:

frostbite.com/topics/publications/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

hard to tell if its any good since they never made the tools public. According to dev testimony the tools are extremely easy so we'll have to take their word for it. That said I'm really biased against prefab centric engines, I don't like them and strongly prefer classic brush style 3D engines and feel the greatest editor ever, of all time, is trenchbroom 2.

Bioware sucks the engine sucks. Easy as that.

Frostbite was always overhyped ever since Bad Company 1 used it for "muh destructible environment", which games media directly ignored every single voxel engine ever which had done that shit years ago, but was ignored because Frostbite was hyped as having some sort of 'proprietary secret sauce' that nobody could see in source code.

Frostbite was already showing its age in 2011's Battlefield 3, where texture pop-in was more severe than an alzheimers-powered tsunami.

In 2017, Frostbite is even more of a dinosaur RenderWare was back in 2009. Frostbite's hype plummeted harder than Bitcoin going bust, being swallowed whole by Unity, around the same point where Unity had implemented browser and HTML5 support, and Unreal Engine 4 down the line.

NFS 2015 looks nice

wat

biowares team is just a bunch of incompetent amateurs who are high off their own farts, they would fuck up on any engine

we've lived long enough to witness Holla Forums's minimal amount of intelligence go down the shitter

Thiiiiiis.

After Battlefield 1 its very clear the Frostbite engine still puts out amazing looking games, but any engine Bioware touches now they will not be able to code out bugs, render or animate properly.

How game engines look depends on the developer. Bioware somehow made even the Frostbite engine which is pretty good into the shittiest looking mess of all time.

Coupled with a good ENB even a boring game like Battlefront can look good even though it looks just fine without

B-but, this is proof that a diverse team can make a good game!!

i don't think there could be a more cautionary tale regarding diversity hires than ME:A and people still won't learn

The engine is pretty and functional but Bioware is completely incompetent

Well we know nuBioware definitely is shit, but it could be both.

I hate how the road is so low res in the NFS shot. Annoys the shit out of me.

bioware has always been shit.

This, to this day there are still people defending ME:A its like they enjoy eating shit

This shit aside, Dice does have some very talented engine programmers and they document a lot of their neat shit at frostbite.com/topics/publications/ , it just sucks how their hard work is being wasted on shit games.

Seems like shit tbh

The guy who made that ENB tried to capture the feel of the older star wars movies, I think he succeeded but it makes the game look to grainy for my tastes

Hard to believe those are GBA graphics.

There is nothing better than a classic brush-based Carmack-style engine for work flow.

battlefront already looked good fuck off with your cab shit

I'm going to invite being shit on right now and say I think BF3 looked amazing and still does.

Denial is strong in that one.

I had nothing but bugs, shitty graphics, and finally the piss poor story forced me stop at around 20 hours. Before anyone asks, yes I like inflicting pain on myself apparently.

It's a damn shame what they did to Mass Effect. A series with so much promise, ran into the ground by a shit group of individuals.

Some of those accounts look fake.

It does but the blue filter is obnoxious.

I honestly liked it on some maps, others benefited from not having it though.

I can see why since I guess you can argue it benefits the wartorn atmosphere, but I think BF4 made the right choice dropping that, same for Battlefront even though that game was bad.

You'd be surprised by IGN comment section on Kikebook.

That's pretty impressive.

Unreal engine is infected with SJWs so is natural that is the most shit of the engines out there

Based on the artifacts I can guess as to how they did the rendering but I don't understand how you could have engine code do that. Such optimization would require raw optimization in assembler or possibly self modify code because the GBA's processor doesn't have a cache.

I doubt that was running on the 8mhz Zilogs definitly the ARM 16mhz or just an emulator

Could the GBA use the Game Boy CPU as a coprocessor? Would that even be useful for something like that?

Get out of here /agdg/, Unity games always feel like shit just like cryengine games. Bad Company 2 today still looks and plays better than any unity garbage.

What if they were force to work with something
like Gamebyro? Can you imagine all the snowflakes chimping out to defend the dumpster fire that would be

Bretty gud for GBA. The main issue is the lack of draw distance