Horror games to get inspired

Any recommendation? I want to create an adventure game with cosmic/body horror, but I need some material to inspire me (I accept any kind of source)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=da9bQ086lZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=UXFrfhqtHw8
youtube.com/watch?v=j_dpapksqY4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

MLB The Show 17

I know you say horror games, but those tentacles my butthole pocker with glee.

UNF!~

I'll allow you to use my face (edited with a special program preset).

Use me as a named villain please. None of that generic mob crap.

Here's what he's talking about.

Did you just randomly name off the last playstation exclusive? As if anyone gives a shit about sports games here anyway. People generally consider MLB The Show to be a pretty good baseball game series so where do you even get off, scumbag?

There's a face glitch in the game,

Your face is creepy-sexy, like pic related.
I'd rather fuck you tbh. You're like a sexy demon boy.

I see that now.
How does that even work?

I'm still planning the plot, I can go for something little, less that 6 characters, only one enviroment, no seeking a sequel.
The resume of the plot: Something came form "other place", maybe it's an alien, an entity who cross the space/time, it doesn't matter, it's something beyond our compression. Our characters are coincidentally the first living things who came into contact with that "thing", (like Stephen King's novel "It", without his cliche plot elements) and terrible/"good" stuff happends. There is no moral decisions, your character (can choose between some or create your chara, I dunno) can have fun going against that creature, be their host in the house and reciving "gifts" for it or more stuff.
There is no true and happy end, but that depend on what you consider as "happy end"…

We've reached the point where sports games have scarier monsters than recent inclusions into the Silent Hill franchise.

I don't actually look like that, you know. But who knows that may be arranged. Never give up hope.

(fucking your butthole not rearranging my face to look like that)

Mix methyl-sulfonyl-methane with acetyl-l-carnitine, and a choline+inositol blend, throw in a racetam if you're feeling thrifty.
I experienced consistent vivid nightmares every single night, with increasing frequency of homicidal confrontation from characters in the dreams.
They want me dead, because they hate their existence even more than me, and they can't die until I do.
That's what they told me.

I don't mind that one bit!~

Won't this fuck you up some way or another?

great

I presme you are in the states?

judging from his description, it makes you an edgelord

Oh hey! That reminds me of this pic

Hello!

Giger's artwork is perfect inspiration for horror. Especially the organic/machine melding theme.

Splatterhouse.

I got just the game for you, son.

Looks great, what about Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth?

Soul recognition software+niggers.

Do you want horror (modern definition: walking simulator with jump scares every 5 minutes), or do you want spooky (golden age definition: a game that unsettles you and causes fear and psychological discomfort without resorting to cheap jump scare tactics)?

There's a shitload of "horror" but there's almost no "spooky". Honestly, I'd suggest just reading some Lovecraft or something along those lines. I know people gripe about him being overplayed, but that shit is overplayed because it's worth overplaying.
Look into tabletop resource books like World of Darkness or Call of Cthulhu. Look into a Lovecraft-inspired game called Sunless Sea, which is somewhat fun and has a nice mid-level creepy atmosphere to it. Also check out board games like Arkham Horror/Eldritch Horror/etc.
Reading a D&D Monstrous Manual might also give you some inspiration, though you should make sure it's 3.5e or earlier because they've been making D&D more "broad audience friendly" and sanitized for a long time now.

play this.

Play Pathologic and The Void

they hate their existence more than you hate theirs or more than you hate yours?

Awake in the night land.

If you want body horror play The Void, you don't get to see most of the body horror in Pathologic. The albino's too cute to count

That head reminds me of the cleric beast

here's a tip, don't just stick to one medium if you're ACTUALLY interested.

The concept art for Bioshock can be interesting (how normal NPC were originally gonna mutate after taking various vigors), or a bunch of /tg/ monsters or international horror stories/mythologies.

Your best friends are primal fears.
- Uncanny Valley. (Something that looks almost human, but has enough "wrong" to make you uneasy.)

- Body horror. (We don't like losing limbs, having something foreign enter our body, or our minds being tricked. It's why zombies used to be so scary.)

- Indescribable. ("It's a dog/spider/pig but- " only gets you so far. Make it something that doesn't readily compare to another thing).

- Symbolism (don't go to heavy or too obvious, but it can at least offer inspiration. Look at Silent Hill 1 to 3 for this. Maybe 4).

- Gore is good. Impending doom is better. (Anyone can make a slasher flick and laugh at it in hindsight. But if the audience is on edge for when someone is going to die next, and that the protags attempts to win are dashed again and again, you don't need to draw that much blood to get a reaction out of them. Sort of ties into the next point below).

- Atmosphere. (You can make the spookiest NOPE-tier monster in the world- no one will care if it's in a setting or area that won't put them on edge already. You need "horror foreplay". While not a horror game, look up footage of Binding of Issac, if only to listen to the music in the initial levels. It's slow and oppressive, making everything feel un-natural and morose. The remakes and sequels went for a pixilated art-style and made the music more actiony. Totally killed it's original style IMO.)

A game based on Hachishakusama.

Also check out this series OP
youtube.com/watch?v=da9bQ086lZ8 (also the embed)
youtube.com/watch?v=UXFrfhqtHw8
youtube.com/watch?v=j_dpapksqY4

I'd also recommend checking out his series about writing- I'm sure it'll be of use to you.

This. Though I would recommend looking up modern films- if only to see what they do wrong.
No matter what you play/read/watch, analyze it.
Ask yourself- why are/aren't you scared?
How did the creator orchestrate this event to get a reaction from you?
If you changed something, would it make it scarier or not as scary? Why?

Another shitty hp lovecraft wannabe? why not use horror like giant structures that act strangely almost samorost like with body horror elements hell industrial rust machines are good too

Speaking of which the trailer for the new Stephen King's IT adaptation dropped today and it looks terrible

That's a great game as well, just be aware it's got some issues and a serious bug towards the end.

I recommend checking out William Hope Hodgson. Even Lovecraft was inspired by the guy. House on the Borderlands manages to paint exquisitely weird and alien landscapes during the dream sequences.

Dark Corners is one of those games that get worse around the end. Everything in Innsmouth is fantastic though.

Uzumaki my man.

Spooky, you think that you can handle the situation … but everything gets bad to worse. Your friends lose sanity, there's something is odd with your body (the transformation is low compared with your pals), and a long etc. Is the old kind of horror, you know this isn't gonna end well, all are going to be (double meaning) into something worst than death, but you want to see it.

Also, no cheap jumpscares.

Check out the Kult pen and paper RPG, it sounds exactly what you're after. The basic premise is that the gnostic myths were sugar-coated: human life is curated by half-dead, half-insane supernatural forces to make it as shit as possible but it's nothing compared to what happens after you die and enter their domain unprepared.

he said cosmic/body horror, no /monster/ territory

I love the Kult setting. I'm still pissed I never got to play it with anybody.

because I am not :^)

Have you played Wraith: the Oblivion? It got cancelled early for being too depressing for WoD playing pussies. Cool setting, somewhat comparable to Kult.

Project i'm working on… give your critques, if any.

I've got a couple of favorite artist for this kind of thing.

And the other one.

Your dude looks like he's stuck in a casting crisis between SF and horror. The level of anatomic definition invites speculation from the audience ("is it a human/grey hybrid?" "how did those abs turn out like that?") and clashes with the missing features, which are an irrationalistic element in horror.

I like the Videodrome inspired bioshit. Beksinski influences are getting cliched, pity because he rules.

Something I noticed that really creeps people out is the face being abnormally long, with the eyes being very high up, maybe it'd help

That guy (guru) uses more live meat contrasted to Beksinski's bone and dried flesh. I like his humanoids too.

Long Live The New Flesh !

Man, this book was absolutely great until the end. The author really just doesn't know how to give any sort of closure and just cuts the whole thing off abruptly without really giving you enough to think about. It's like he was rushed or something.

Good tips

It's not strictly speaking a horror game, but I would recommend playing or at least watching a play through of "The Void". It's criminally underrated and unknown, not necessarily riveting gameplay but very engaging nonetheless.

Don't make the proportions equal, humans enjoy symmetry

my god that's just disgusting

I want a game where the horror isn't apparent or even obvious. I want a game that sells itself as normal, even generic, with just one or two things that seem off. So that a player who's curious can look into it, follow the subtle clues, and realize exactly how fucked up the game is. Something like a shooter having one odd body in an empty room, which starts off a trail of clues leading to the revelation that the entire game is the result of a side effect of some greater cosmic plague. Like the earth is already doomed regardless because the things you've been fighting are all actually immature versions of the great space slug that has turned the earth into one big egg.

No, as far as White Wolf goes, I only ever had the chance to play oWoD Vampire and nWoD Mage.

Well, you probably won't find many players but it's a good read at least. Unlike the rest of the line it wasn't written for a focus group and it gets a lot heavier.

Make sure it's a fucking game user, not some Mr. Shitface-tier fucking point and click CYOA interactive electronic storybook.

It's hard to make games with sanity systems anymore, since Nintendo patented that game mechanic pretty extensively. They can sue the shit out of you for just using the word.

At least I don't lie to people, I prefer to draw all the stuff and program an adventure game than make a crappy Unity game for sell it in Steam (like a certain cuck).
I'm not a 3d modeler and I don't have money for pay someone to make all the models. Also, it'll be a free game, just for fun and make something similar to old horror games.

How can you patent game mechanics?

Fuck. I am, You from London?

You patent specific technologies that happen to be applicable as game mechanics.

This is probably the scariest pic posted so far. You wouldn't spot him because he blends in with other trees. That smile.

This looks bland, it must be unsettling

Seeing these crossbreeds between Cthulu and the Fly for the first time was fucking scary

Nope. And I don't think my country is going to attempt Operation Sealion again.

Sorry user.

OP, Sound design is king when making horror games. Thief's athmosphere is very much enhanced by its awesome sound and ambient track.
I would say to very much look at what Thief did in terms of sound design.

A pity the Dark Mod doesnt have that sound of quality.

I had a nightmare last night I bought a game on Steam and I couldn't figure out how to refund it, all while hiding in a bathroom trying to hide from a guy trying to dildo me. A more serious example are recurring ones where I wake up and try to look around, I can feel my eyes moving but the image doesn't change and I can't move until I drift again, thinking I've woken but I end up in some weird version of my house where strange subtle shit is off about it. Say, like the light is slightly red and everyone seems to have edgy and hostile undertones, with everything feeling to have a slight murderous quality while I'm trying to do normally mundane things around house.

rise and shine, mr.freeman

Read a book, nigger! Lovecraft will do.
If you really want to play vidya I suggest Pestilence Utopia (or "Pathologic").

he doesn't have a cock… what's he gonna rape me with…?

Patrician taste.

Woah, I didn't expect too see these titles that much. I always thought they are hidden gems with no fame whatsoever.

What's going on with that first pic?

That's some autism right there.

Oh shit, I recognize that. It was from some shitty film, I think. I saw it on JewTube ages ago
I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Just remembered. It was called "Penda's Fen"
The scene that gif was taken from happens at around 00:30:33.

huh. is there more like that? also, why would you fuck this thing?

Did anyone save the lewds from 2nd pic?

Ayo hol up where did my webm go

A lot more, actually.
The artist isn't as serious as that picture would make you think, he drew that same character in a bubble bath with a bright pink dildo in her mouth at one point.

I'm liking the amount of Icepick Lodge recs in this thread.