Sleeping Dogs

I have to say I wasn't really impressed at first, but after playing it for a while the atmosphere is surprisingly capturing and now I can't help but like it. I'm not a big fan of sandboxy games since getting tired of one is like getting tired of most of them, but now I think a good and unique setting can easily fix that.

Sleeping Dogs fits in rather nicely with Shenmue and Yakuza, in that "roam around beating the piss out of people and improving your skills" way. I'd like to play it again, but I'm really bad at re-playing any game that has a story, as I remember everything that's going to happen. Makes it a chore.

I honestly had been following this game ever since it was announced as True Crime: Streets of Hong Kong.
Eventually it became Sleeping Dogs and it played how I expected, except for being able to jump from a vehicle to another one. Story was okay, but it sucks that we'll probably never get a sequel.
Really love exploring Asian cities instead of American cities.

Or just sandbox games with a martial arts beat-em-up system.
Though, I wish more games allowed you to be a cop or police detective investigating crimes.

This is one of the few times I actually smiled playing video games.

FUCKING DOGEYES

The combat was ass, to be quite honest family

I just want a fucking sequel with even better melee combat and more hideouts and shit.

You take it back. You take it back right now.

FUCK DOGEYES

I thought it was serviceable, but it could've flowed together better.

Apparently there were plans for a sequel with co-op, being able to arrest any NPC, and branching storylines but SE never fucking greenlit that. On the plus side at least we'll probably get Sleeping Dogs movies with Donnie Yen soon

God fucking dammit.

Jackie deserved better.

Noice, I want this.

Why you had to make me sad so early.

To remember the pain of Triad Wars

I just hope it actually comes out compared with the Deus Ex movie, though I hope its coming along if they actually have an actor

The combat was decent enough. It was like bamham, except it was good.

Rest in peace, United Front Games.
Poor Jackie.

Was played too much like a GTA clone, not much memorable open-world surprises, DLCs were a fun way to tribute Hong Kong cinema, but the game was pretty fucking average, RIP Sleeping Dogs dying with a Mobileshit game.

And unlike Wei Shen's gook actor, I.P. Man can actually speak Cantonese. I always found it jarring how everyone else surrounding the main character would drop Canto phrases, whereas Wei stayed monolingual.

Saints Row is average, this wa above average.

It was pretty good but you've seen the whole undercover cop/dual loyalties thing play out so many times that it became boring toward the end.

I like how Wei didn't take the high ground in the end, in fact, he intentionally fucking murdered everyone who tried to fuck him up at the end. Normally these end with the cop taking the morally correct path. Wei just fucking tossed the head of the Sun on Yee into an icechipper and then set up his superior to be fucking shanked in a dirty prison shower.

Was pretty satisfying.

What makes it interesting too is that they mention in earlier moments that the last cop in the triads was found out because he didnt like to get his hands dirty, and Wei eventually stops caring that hes a cop.

A man who never eats pork bun is NEVER a whole man!

This game is my favourite open world crime simulator by a mile. It was super comfy, melee combat was fun, the driving shenanigans were kinda cool too, and I loved that Hong Kong aesthetic.

My boi Jackie "Matherfucker" Ma din' du nuffin he was a gud boi 4 real RIP jackie never forget

Saints Row is garbage, but 2 and 3 aren't.

3's the worst shit I played in a long time and the only thing saving 2 (for me at least) was the ultor after route.

You just don't like open world sandbox games. It's fine..

Reminder that it's all your fault. You're the reason he's dead.

You know, even Holla Forums gave more effort than that.

I really fucking liked the knife fighting in that game, it seemed properly brutal

Heh.

IT TAKES GUTS TO WEAR THAT!

ok

Gutsfags stop injecting your shitty idol into everything.

Didn't know there would be a movie, that might be interesting.

Yeah, Internet Protocol Man was pretty good, I'd like to see Donnie Yen in this.

They said it's so the player feels more connected with him, because if a character you're playing as suddenly starts speaking gibberish, you don't feel like you're connected bro

BOSHY HENTAI

BOSHBOSHY HENTAI

They closed while developing an mmo set in hong kong with triads involved. I wonder why.

kek. They kind of pandered to the Triad in the game and made out the white colonial guy was evil.

You sound triggered, that "kek" won't change the tone of your post.

Hey, no need to go berserk about it.

tbh

This is one of those games that deserves a sequel, but won't ever get one

Apparently there was a multiplayer or MMO successor that was in development, but they did a shit job of advertising it and it imploded

The setting doesn't necessarily have to be unique but the atmosphere has to be spot on. Vice City's violent 80s not-Miami is not particularly original but it worked, for example.

Melee combat in games that don't focus on it is normally shit and generally a chore to get through by being both too shallow and too easy. Sleeping Dogs embraced the easiness and instead let you do cool shit to break up the monotony. If it had been a few hours longer I'd probably have enjoyed it less but as it was I never found myself dreading combat because (the constant drip-feed of new environmental kills probably helped).

I thought the progressive violence of the environmental kills was actually kinda weird. Shooting gangsters was one thing, but impaling them on swordfish is another.

This game made me want to eat one. I wonder if they come in Beef

Fucking true.

Fuck off.

This fucking game made me want to visit Hong Kong someday and watch pic related with my own eyes. And also eat some pork bun.

Nice aesthetic, good story, especially for a sandbox game, and an amazing music selection. Only gripes I had with it was the gun combat sections feeling a bit forced sometimes, and that there was no actual continuity with the romance sidequests save for that one with the human trafficking ring Other than that it felt satisfying to play (I only finished it last year after getting it on sale).

Highly unlikely that we will get a proper sequel, but maybe it's for the best. We'll probably never know now that the studio is dead.

There was also going to be a spin-off MMO called Triad Wars or something, but that was canned too.
I wish the dating features had been fleshed out though. You can tell they cut shit out, because they go fucking nowhere. I just want to spend more time with Emma Stone on my motorbike. :(

it's too bad the pc port was such dogshit that it ends up randomly crashing every 5 minutes on 50% of systems

i got the game on sale, really wanted to enjoy it, but i couldn't play it at all

Was nice to go to somewhere new. Some good music I'd never heard before. Seemed to be unsure of the balance between silliness and seriousness, which seems to happen in all games like it and never getting the balance quite right as Vice City and San Andreas. I enjoyed the combat and missions, progressing though the overall story was a bit off putting for some reason I can no longer remember.

got that yellow fever