Vidya Hall of Fame Batch 3 finalists revealed

So here are the games that are being considered to be in the Strong's Museum Vidya Hall of Fame:
Pokemon Red and Blue
Donkey Kong (original arcade game)
Wii Sports
FF7
Halo: CE
Solitaire
Myst
SF2
Mortal Kombat
Tomb Raider 1996
Resident Evil 1
Portal 1

What 5 games do you think deserve to be considered just as important/iconic as Doom, Mario, Pac-Man, GTA, WoW, Zelda and Sonic just to name a few? I think it's going to be Pokemon, Halo, Wii Sports, Donkey Kong and FF7). They might allow more than 5 inductees though this time since the competition is very tight. It's only Portal 1 that is the undeserving pick here imo.

Other urls found in this thread:

worldvideogamehalloffame.org/2017-finalists
worldvideogamehalloffame.org/games/world-of-warcraft
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

*Green not Blue

Wow this is actually a hard choice. Every game has a bit of history to it, and I cant think of any to omit, except maybe Wii Sports

Myst, Donkey Kong, Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil 1 and Halo:CE.

All of these, for better or worse, defined a genre.

This game feels so tainted.

It was a pretty impressive game technically, at the time.

Wii Sports is the odd game out.
Tomb Raider, Portal and Porykmen are rock solid candidates.

I'm not sure about the other games since none of them brought anything new to the table (Except Halo, which was the beginning of the end for FPS games :^) ).

It needs Pacman and Super Mario Bros. Super Mario 64 and Sonic The Hedgehog would be good choices too.

Fucking burgers don't even remotely appreciate Tomb Raider.

How do you figure that one rather than Wii Sports?

I do.

Donkey Kong, Tomb Raider, RE1, or Myst.
The rest are shill garbage.
I want no games in a Hall of Fame so faggots would forget about the hobby and we can start getting good games again.

where is doom?

All these games are famous, but come the fuck on. Donkey Kong and Pokémon are clearly the most deserving. Certainly moreso than Halo or Portal.

Yes
Yes
No
No
No
No
Yes
Yes
No
Yes
No
Yes

Pokemon created a new genre and is a cultural phenomenon, still going strong twenty years later.
Donkey Kong is a classic, no denying that, and also spawned the most iconic gaming character ever.
Wii Sports had a big cultural impact and maybe could be considered, but all it really did was ape real sports with shitty motion controls.
Final Fantasy 7 is over-rated and has not aged well, and could be considered as a milestone in game development. There are better, more important games its position could be given to.
Halo is just…no. It didn't define a genre, all it did was simplify it for console kiddies, set really bad genre conventions and slow everything down.
Solitaire. Eh. Again, it's just a digital version of a card game. A great time waster, but that could be said of 99% of the industry.
Myst. This one hit like a bomb and it's still good. It hasn't aged terribly well but it did amazing things that hadn't been done before and was pretty great to boot.
Street Fighter 2. Absolutely deserves a spot. Again, it was a cultural phenomenon. These arcade machines were fucking everywhere in the early 90s. It spawned so many imitators (like the next one on the list) and defined the genre to this day.
Mortal Kombat. No, it rode on the back of Street Fighter and did a poorer job of it. All it had was gore and shitty digital images of real people instead of quality sprite-work.
Tomb Raider. Yes, again, another cultural phenomenon, and while the series has been through a series of highs and lows, the original game was pretty unique at the time, blending a mix of slower, Prince-of-Persia-esque platforming in 3D with puzzle solving and gun combat wrapped up in delicious B-movie tropes. Then again, it is one of my favourites of all time so I'm incredibly biased here.
Resident Evil 1. Eh. On the one hand, it is quite popular and popularised a genre, but it didn't age well, didn't even look that great when it was first released, and has had many revisions since it was first released that have made it better.
Portal 1. Yes, can't think of a title that came out of nowhere and became such a meme (and I mean that in the traditional use of the word, not the "lel image macro teh cake is a lie" sense). Great gameplay, memorable writing, something that can't be done with a deck of cards or a tennis racket, it deserves a spot (although maybe the older classics should get in first).

i don't think it's list of good games, it's just games that has historical weight.
though not seeing mario, pacman or zelda makes that teory moot.

If this shit deserves a spot somewhere, it's in the hall of INFAMY.

It was one of the biggest fads of its time, and the franchise that started there is practically a genre in its own right.
Why they didn't already have a spot is beyond me.

I'm actually a bit iffy on this one.
While it is Nintendo's first venture into vidya, and the origin of both Mario and DK, it came out in a time when Pacman was king of the arcade, and its historical value pales in comparison to the NES, which effectively resurrected video games in America.
I'd abstain from voting on this one.

I don't like it either, but it is relevant for having broken the mold of motion controls as a silly gimmick before it was reinstated by kinect.
Overall, though, it's too niche for something as big as a hall of fame, just drop it in a museum

The game that defined the console FPS as a distinct genre should receive recognition for that.
Certainly a better choice than CoD or a 343 Halo.

This shit's already pre-installed on every windows OS, an exhibit in the vidya hall of fame would just be overkill.

I don't know enough about Myst to judge its worthiness as a vidya hall-of-famer

The FGC game. Even if you play a different franchise, you know some shit about SF.
Shit even got an input named for one of its characters' moves, that's how big it was.
Like Pokemon, I am totally at a loss as to why it wasn't already in there.

Tobias and Boon only wish they were even half as relevant as SF.
Send them home.

Another contender I'm not going to speak on because I don't know enough about it
Though I guess Lara is right up there with Samus for the title of "best-known vidya girl"

Another genre pioneer, and another contender where I can't help but wonder why they haven't already got a spot.

As bad as it was for community, it's success made pc a leading platform in America once more.
I'd still rather give this slot to CS 1.6 or Hotline Miami

Postal 2

Who the fuck is curating this thing

That would be Goldeneye.

Doom needs to be in that list.

I'd say that Mortal Kombat deserves a spot not so much because of the gameplay, but because of it's social impact. MK (and Night Trap) were responsible for the creation of the ESRB and the crusade against violent games.

AY YO HOL UP

in, start of a now legendary franchise

in, introduced two extremely popular characters

out, the controlls are the only thing that differentiates this from a basic minigame collection

idk, though since it is highly beloved but it's nothing new or particulary influential I tend towards 'out'

in, a grimm reminder of what happens when you take fps to console

out, imo it's a digital cardgame not a 'real' videogame

don't know enough to have an opinion

in, THE fighting game representative

idk

idk

in, very influential on the entire genre

out, concept was taken from another game and humor in games has been done before.

Except that Halo was actually playable and didn't had a terrible controller attached to it.

something is missing from this list

It can't be on the list because Doom is already in the Hall of Fame.

How about adding in Cave Story first before considering an indie game?

Why portal I wonder?
It's not like it was the first puzzle game ever made, nor did it accomplish anything but giving people motion sickness.
RE 1, why not 2?
Wii sports, kill yourself.
Street fighter 2, I guess?
Tomb raider, I know everyone knows and remembers tomb raider, but did anyone seriously do anything but run around the mansion and laugh at the butler?
MK, yes
Gaylo, I don't like it but it's well known enough to earn it's spot, but it honestly gets way more credit than it deserves over games like quake and unreal.

No comments on the others.

Begrudgingly, I'd keep WiiSports there, cause that was the game that got like EVERYONE playing video games for a moment. Everyone just had to try it out. You'd see people who'd never touch a video game checking it out.

Is Tetris in the hall of fame?

nintendo didn't make donkey kong, ikegami did.

I see through your ruse you skinwalker fuck.

T-too cute. Please tell me there is actually a game with her in it.

Of course, there isn't… why would there be? That might actually be worth playing. But lie to me.

It's a good game but it gave us nothing new to be in a hall of fame.

SF2, RE1, FF7, Dunkey Kang for sure
Myst and solitaire perhaps
the rest no.

(heil)
There's only the opening tutorial to Revelations which has her twelve year old self tomb raiding with her retconned in mentor. Even as a pre-teend she had huge fucking knockers. Then it's straight to delicious christmas cake Lara as usual.

Doom and GTA already fill that niche. No need to be redundant.

My pick for top 5:

5. Pokemon Red/Green

It pretty much defined multiple generations of handheld gaming and was a pop culture icon in the late 90's/early 2000s and is still very popular today, though not as innovative as it was in 96. The abiility to "link" games together and trade pokemon was unheard of for the time.

4. FF7

The fact that FF7 doesn't have a spot in the hall of fame bothers me a little bit. FF7 defined JRPGS for its time with its cinematic cutscenes, which were incredible for the time. Its plot isn't good, and the graphics most certainly haven't aged well (as with most entries here) but FF7 is remembered along the likes of OOT for a reason.

3. SF2
THE fighting game and the game that pretty much modernized the genre. SF2 dominated arcades and got a genre going that was only revived thanks to SF4. SF2 was THE fighting game people wanted to play in the arcades at the time. Only MK would even get close to SFs popularity.

2. Myst
So, disclaimer, I haven't played Myst or ANY of the Myst games, but I think something like it belongs here. Its a puzzle game, but its the one puzzle game that got everyone's attention in a big way in 93.

1. Donkey Kong

So Donkey Kong is responsible for giving us the greatest video game developer of all time. Said game is STILL not in the video game hall of fame. Its probably the most important arcade game nintendo ever made, because it not only gave us 30+ years of Miyamoto, it gave us Nintendo itself as a game developer and console maker. Without this arcade game, we wouldn't have Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Star Fox, Metroid, etc. Without Donkey Kong, these games wouldn't exist.

Definitely a good pick.

List invalidated.

Personally I would like to see Devil May Cry 1 go in for pretty much inventing the modern action game, and Ninja Gaiden Black for being prefect.
But realistically God of War will probably get in before either of those for being more popular.

Mortal Kombat might not be the best Fighting game ever, but it was the reason the ESRB was made. I'd say it deserves a place in history for that.

Those millenium graphics
hnnng

Solitaire is a bit of a weird one, it's more like a component of a package of games, or should be considered as much. You might as well put the meta games that comprise 'Cards' in there.

Myst yes deffo, SF2 yes, RE1, I suppose it's indelibly etched in the brain pipes. Halo, mmmm, I suppose it's unavoidable and probably Donkey Kong.

Portal, nah, it has a nice gimmick but Prey got there first, Tomb Raider ehh, not the best game and Mortal Kombat could have been any other fighter.

No/not good opinions on the rest.

That's pretty fucking gay, user. I hope you threw that in the garbage where it belongs.

Ff7 doesn't deserve anything but being in a pile of garbage. Every FF before and after is better.

Goddamn it's like fucking Ocarina of time just much worse, the meme became bigger than the game and now people can't stop sucking its cock

Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy 7, Halo, Mortal Kombat and WiiSports shoul be replaced with Ocarina of Time, Ultima 4, Doom, GTA Vice City and litteraly anything else repectivly. Doom and OoT are particulary egegious omisions.

It's not even particularly historically significant.

both Quake and Doom are more historically significant titles and neither are included for some retarded reason

Remove Tomb Raider, that's nothing special or significant.
Remove Halo CE
Remove Resident Evil 1, good game but Alone in the Dark already existed
Mortal Kombat's only significance is the controversy surrounding it's violence.
Remove Portal, Portal is nothing more than a popular title, it's not historically significant at all, it's not even Valve's best selling game
FF7 is yet another popular game, but Ultima 7 is a far more historically significant game.
Wii Sports only rides in on the popularity, but I can't say I'd remove it

Add Super Mario 64, such a pivotal game should never be ignored
Add Doom, it's the game that popularized first person shooters and it's modability was a major part of the rise of video game modding, ffs.
Add in an adventure game, maybe The Secret of Monkey Island.
Add in Sim City or the Sims, are people seriously not considering a Maxis title, The Sims is still one of the most popular selling PC series and games, and the Sim IP is a historically significant IP.
Add in Ultima 1, 4 or 7.

Ocarina of Time is still the highest rated game on many websites.
Grand Theft Auto 3 lead to a plethora of copycats and to this day many games still use it's formula, it sold more and had more games copy it's path than Halo CE, so why isn't GTA 3 on there?

I even like the Halo series, but apart from Microsoft's massive marketing push it wasn't even that big of a game, and at best it just redefined console shooters, they were already well defined thanks to Goldeneye, a game that fucking sold more

Donkey Kong was also the first platformer, a genre that held the limelight for 3 console generations, it is a historically significant game, even though I'd say Pac Man deserves a position as well, thanks to Pac fever.

Space Panic predates it by a year.

Change Portal 1 to the entire Orange Box and I'd pass it 100%.

Maybe get some best-selling plug-and-play game from the 2000s aswell.

My personal list, if I had to choose:
- Chrono Trigger
- Outrun
- Super Metroid
- Morrowind
- Minecraft

Games that not only defined genres, but truly once-in-a-lifetime gems that I just don't think could ever be recreated. They're all truly something special, and really defined the times.

yes
yes
is this a fucking joke? kill whoever thought of this
no it fucking doesnt it's not even the best FF
toss this retard in with the Wii Sport twats corpse
older than video games, idk
yeah
yeah i guess
nah street fighter takes a spot first
sure
nah
its name shall ever be tainted by 2. If I pretend 2 doesn't exist, maybe? still not deserving over most

It was shit then and it's shit now.

Ultima Online
Tetris
Civilization
Sim City
Doom

Mortal Kombat deserves a place in the history of vidya as much as the Boer Wars do in world history: they're a marker of a separate event, not historical in their own right.
Compare that to Street Fighter, which had such a huge impact it named a fucking input, and laid the framework that literally every fightan since has followed.

Given their criteria for what quantifies a game as a HoF entry:

This should have gotten in one of the previous two batches. It's one of Nintendo's 3 most iconic franchises, became a pop culture phenomenon that hasn't been seen since (at least vidya-wise), and popularized the "monster-raising RPG" subgenre. GO's success last year should make this a shoe-in this year.

One of the most iconic arcade titles, and one of the earlier ones to feature distinguishable characters, who would become popular in their own rights. Probable yes. Will certainly be in in a future year, if not this year.

Despite what people may think about it, it played a major role in the shift of casualization that occurred in the mid-2000s, and popularized gimmick control schemes. Probably will be a future entry, but the contenders this year make it unlikely that it will get a nod this year.

Most notable for helping popularize JRPGs in the west. This alone is rather important.

Played a large role in standardizing console FPS's, and was probably the single biggest factor in Microsoft entering the console market. If it doesn't make it this year, it will likely do so in the near future.

Despite its massive popularity, I fail to see how it had any significant impact on the industry or culture as a whole. May get a nod far down the road, once they start reaching for entries. But even that's a huge maybe.

Don't know enough about the game's influence on the industry. Given the other contenders, unless it did something incredibly important, it will be passed over this year.

Popularized the fighting game genre and largely contributed to the competitive gaming scene. Leaning yes on this one.

While not as influential as SF2 was within the industry, it was one of the hallmarks in the moral panics of the 1990s. Even with that, I'm leaning towards "not yet".

Don't really know this game for much aside from being one of the earlier popular games with a distinguishably female protagonist. Barring some technical achievements I'm unaware of, I'm guessing this one is a long shot.

Helped set off the horror game genre. Definitely a contender.

It was pretty interesting conceptually, but aside from being an early form of "nerd chic", there wasn't much this game did for the industry as a whole, as far as I know. So quite doubtful.

tl;dr Pokemon R/B is a shoe-in, Donkey Kong, Halo CE, and SF2 are very likely. Last one will likely be FF7 or RE1. Wii Sports is my wild card pick.

P.S. Here's a more detailed page on the finalists.

worldvideogamehalloffame.org/2017-finalists

That's an awfully retarded leap in thought, and it's wrong. It's a HALL OF FAME to recognize video games that are something important/iconic. The first MMO is Neverwinter Nights (the 1991 Gold Box game, not the game that came later). It ran from 1991 to 1997 on AOL's service.

So if you were trying to make a big point about "that's not EverQuest" or "that's not Ultima Online" or "that's not Runescape" or whatever the fuck, it doesn't matter. The fact of the matter is, it's not about "the first game" it's about a game that is considered to be iconic/important. Something that broke new ground and did something that hadn't been done before. They inducted World of Warcraft because culturally it is significant, it's the modern MMO that launched the MMO genre into a household thing and not the obscurity that City of Heroes/Star Wars Galaxies/The Matrix Online/etc held. Until that point, the MMO genre was small. WoW managed to create a player base that spanned 12 million people. No other MMO even came close to that.

If this was a list about firsts, Zelda wouldn't be on the list because Xanadu. Doom wouldn't be on the list because Wolfenstein 3D. Grand Theft Auto III would be replaced with Grand Theft Auto. Pong would show the radio equipment modification "game" and not the ball and paddle minimalist HUD from the Atari console. Super Mario Bros would be Mario Bros.

It's not about "first" it's about "iconic" and "important." WoW was "important" to the modern NuMale gamer because its popularity surged up just in time to inspire TBBT and The Guild and all that other shit that we all hate.

To add onto what said, they acknowledge that WoW was far from the first MMORPG.
worldvideogamehalloffame.org/games/world-of-warcraft

At worst, you can complain about them mentioning Ultima but not NwN.

I do agree that it didn't deserve to be in the first batch of games, but it certainly deserves some recognition for what it did manage to do.

I'm wholly expecting Starcraft to be there in the future, though. It certainly deserves a spot.

This is true, but it's even more important than that. The entire Japanese industry is influenced by its storytelling methods and character designs to this day. For better or for worse.

I guess.
Would rather have Pac-Man
I guess, it was packed in Wiis.
I guess.
No, replace it with Doom.
No.
Myst
Uncertain.
Sure.
Overrated as fuck, but fine because it started ESRB formation.
Sure.
Alone in the Dark predates it.
Why.
Also why the fuck isn't Tetris or GTA III on there

user…

Pac-Man is already in the hall of fame, as is Doom, Tetris and GTA 3. Alone in the Dark was predated by Sweet Home, so arguably, it deserves the position more than Alone in the Dark. But that's not how this works, and there's no power rankings or "absolute" standings. There can be an unlimited number of games in the Hall of Fame depending on how they get inducted and at what pace.

Biohazard had a better level of storytelling, theatrics and implementation to it, with its fully voiced dialogue, synth score and level of interactivity and problem solving. Alone in the Dark was a very linear game by example.

Would you fucking autists quit being retards and reeing because your own personal nostalgia doesn't appear to be on the induction list? It can always get added later, you don't need to be like "NO, FUCK YOU, ME FIRST" and push another game out for your own game choices.

IMO it made the concept of entertainment accessible to your average Windows user of the time, which would have been early 1990s. Until Windows 10 (or maybe 8), it was a standard in every consumer edition of Windows. Maybe it didn't have the same kind of influence as the others, but I dunno.

Street Fighter 2 is the best game of all time. Not that I should care about some meaningless awards ceremony.

It's not even the best Street Fighter.

Devil May Cry 4 SE
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Sim City 3
Diablo: Hellfire
Starcraft: Brood War

Eh who cares?

Back to 4chan friendo