One Week, One Vidya #4 - Pitfall: The Lost Expedition

I didn't pay attention to the last thread when it died, so I don't know what game (if any) had been decided upon. Thus, this week we're playing a game from my youth.

Every week, we make a thread about a video game, play it, and discuss it with other anons. It's like a book club with fewer grannies.

Pitfall: The Lost Expedition is the fourth game in the Pitfall series. The gameplay is your standard 3D action platformer: you swing on vines, swim, jump, punch aboriginals, and loot tombs and caverns for Mayan gold. There isn't much of a plot to speak of besides the obligatory characters to point you in the right direction and an antagonist pitted against you, but that's hardly the point.

Trying new things comes with the risk the thing you try might not be very good.
Buy the mystery item.

Resources:
I can't speak to the differences between the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube releases, but from my experience the Gamecube version seems to emulate well. You can find the ROM here if you don't feel like trawling emuparadise yourself:
emuparadise.me/Nintendo_Gamecube_ISOs/Pitfall_The_Lost_Expedition/66283-download

I'm sure you know where to find Dolphin, but here's a link to the emulator's homepage for good measure:
dolphin-emulator.com/

Previous threads:
As I mentioned, I only lurked the other threads so I don't have any of the archive links. However, don't let that stop you from jumping in and talking about video games.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/wTk5B
archive.is/PPPOx
archive.is/asoEK
ghostbin.com/paste/6ynmt
go4up.com/dl/ffcf2664f70dd8/1_week__1_vidya_-_Thread_#3_Naval_Ops:_Warship_Gunnner.7z
ghostbin.com/paste/95yjf
go4up.com/dl/7d6f6af11a5de0/Thread#4EliteWarriorVietnam.7z
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I really liked the characters and open, explorable maze like world. The map reminds me of a metroid prime game.
This was one of my favorite 3d platformers.

Yeah, it was surprisingly thorough for a Pitfall game released in 2004. Like quite a few games from that era, it holds up visually in spite of the low polycount since the foliage and water use some programming shortcuts to look 90% real instead of busting the hardware open to look 99% real. The water in particular just makes circular ripples radiating out from Harry's position rather than an actual wake, but it's convincing enough whilst being chased by piranhas.

The dialogue is witty, too, which is something I find rare these days. The characters are more or less earnest, and the game never seems like it's using the brand name for cheap ironic novelty.

I remember playing this. It was pretty wacky but I found it to be fun though at some point I didn't know what the hell I was doing and just stopped.

Finally someone who acknowledges this game exist.
This game was a fucking masterpiece, yet it has no internet presence besides old forgotten reviews from mainstream review sites.

Where the hell is everyone? There were at least a dozen anons in the other threads.

I'm surprised at how few people remember it. I don't know if I could call it a masterpiece, but it is a solid example of how to bring back an established IP while still making it relevant for modern audiences.

Maybe everyone got scared away when it was a simulation game. After all that's an extremely, EXTREMELY niche market and some smartass thought it was a good idea to put one into these threads which are not overly populated already.

This game is too hard for Holla Forums.

I got this on Gamecube for my birthday back in '04 or '05. It's surprisingly good. I had never heard of it before.

Dude pitfall the lost expedition is the fucking best metroid game.

I remember looking at the cover and losing much of my own interest. Nothing against simulation games, but it's more detail than I care to have in my video games. I expected there would be other people who felt the same, but I didn't think it would kill the thread. Hopefully some good old-fashioned Gamecube platforming can drum up more interest.

There's a Wii version too, isn't there? Is that one any good?

I had this on PS2 as a kid. It's a damn fun game.

It apparently had lower reviews, but that may have been due to its competition. Can't say for certain myself, since I didn't know it existed until I trawled Wikipedia.

Played for a few hours today and recorded a bunch of webms. I'll post more tomorrow. So far I love this game's sense of humour, even if it doesn't get more than a chuckle from me most of the time.

I rescind what I said earlier about the plot not being important. There are plenty of cutscenes with story characters and the game is more linear than I thought. In this case, I don't think it's a bad thing since there are plenty of opportunities to backtrack to find collectibles. There appears to be a single type of collectable, however, which is generic idols. Even rescuing explorers gets you more idols than usual instead of a different type. I can't fault the game for wanting to keep things simple, but it would have been nice to have two types at the very least to have there be some surprise to what you find at the end of a puzzle or behind an item door.

Your abilities and items flow together quite well, and it never feels like a chore to link them together. Doing a leap will let you grab ledges with your normal hitbox, for instance, as opposed to some "realistic" finicky hitbox which might have made jumps more frustrating.

The natives yelling literal gibberish is pretty funny, too. You'd never get away with something like that these days.

A-anyone else p-playing t-the video game?

Weird, just tried to find this game on The Cutting Room Floor and it seems there's only an article for the GBA port. We should all datamine the ROM and find some interesting shit

Which ROM should we datamine? Can anyone weigh in on the merits of the various ports?

Probably the GameCube ROM would be the easiest to look into. I have never played this game before tbh so I can't compare it with other ports. I imagine the PS2 port is extremely similar or even identical to the GCN port

I played a demo of this game years ago. It's really different from all of the previous pitfall games.

I pulled out my GameCube copy this morning. I'll play through it this weekend.

I'd love to play it but I'm on a toaster for the next 2 weeks. If it makes you feel any better I'm still enjoying Outcast from 2 threads ago.

First timer here. I'll grab the Xbox version and let you know how shit I think it is. I'm sure it'll be fun.

Got the speed boots today, seems like a really solid game actually. Though I don't like the graphics. The hand mechanics are cool too.

Previous threads:
Valdis Story : Abyssal City - archive.is/wTk5B
The Suffering - archive.is/PPPOx
Outcast - archive.is/asoEK
Naval Ops: Warship Gunnner - text: ghostbin.com/paste/6ynmt text+pictures: go4up.com/dl/ffcf2664f70dd8/1_week__1_vidya_-_Thread_#3_Naval_Ops:_Warship_Gunnner.7z sha256sum: d11c876bed53d79624d65d7328365948c494aef9e19e5d98393d8a82c513166e
Elite Warriors Vietnam (my utterly failled attempt) - Text: ghostbin.com/paste/95yjf text+pictures: go4up.com/dl/7d6f6af11a5de0/Thread#4EliteWarriorVietnam.7z sha256sum: c9eece5e1d26bb8aa48f945233bc20b530177b9c10a61cea86e4b8ba5ea83ef5

It's toaster friendly if your toaster can handle relatively light gamecube games.

Absolutely no idea where to go from here.

You have to jump on top of the fallen statue. From there you can get onto the platform that runs around the edge of the room and meet redpilled Leech.

Yes I know. And the entrance is barred so I can't get out.

Leech teaches you the heroic leap, which you use to leap out of the entrance. After that, if you push Y and a direction, you can become a morph ball and roll out of one of the holes.

I spent like 10 minutes trying to do this and it didn't work.

The collision is wonky, but it does work. You have to position yourself just a hair back from the wall and sort of jump into it. I don't remember having trouble with this when I was younger, so I think it might be an emulation issue.

Nah I tried running it, it's like a powerpoint presentation. It's a shame because this looks right up my alley.
I'm saving the download link for when I get back on my good PC.

I never knew they made another Pitfall by the way, last one I played was Pitfall 3D on PSX (it's been so long I played it I don't even remember if it was any good).

You know, I think we got it all wrong. Uncharted didn't rip off Indiana Jones, it ripped off Pitfall.

Any luck?

Yeah but after helping dat ass and taking out the rebel camp I got a bit bored so I havent been playing

Also my headache hasnt helped my playtime.

THICC

Ayy lmao another user and I tried to start one up a few years ago here but it never got anywhere. Glad other people are trying out the idea. How are you guys deciding the games each week?

Weekly appointed dictatorship to who gets there first.

I think I just fucking ejaculated

Was a pretty fun game. Looked up the cheat codes afterward and if anyone is planning on playing this I suggest you go check them out since there's a "Play as Nicole" cheatcode if you wanna look a ass & titties the entire game. I would've if I knew.

H-hello ?

Isn't Holla Forums fans of hard games, though?

Groo?

We're back. Sick. (((They))) can't keep us down.

Oh, and I guess this is as good a time as any to start taking suggestions for the next thread. I made this one on Tuesday, which means today is the end of the "one week," but given that we were offline for four days I kind of want to extend this thread to the weekend. The previous threads reset each weekend, which I think is a good way to handle it since it gives people some time to jump into the game right away.

Thoughts? The only issue is that it seems like most anons here already finished the game, and I don't want to keep bumping a thread for no reason.

You all bought the secret item, right?

Yeah weekend is better in my opinion, even if the thread dies it's no big deal as long as the next game and/or OP has already been decided before.
The game looks right up my alley, it's a shame I'm stuck on this toaster laptop in the meantime.

I played this on the Xbawks when I was in middle school. This game kicks ass. Super surprised with it.

Is there anyone who'd like to make the next bread ?