Oblivion

Toying with getting this, since it's supposedly a less casual Oblivion.

What expansions and mods are worth getting? I hear that level scaling is a fucking mess in this game, so presumably something that reduces or eliminates it is worth looking at.

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/tes/res/2137.html
tesgeneral.com/oblivion-guide
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I meant Skyrim, goddamn.

Get a level overhaul mod too. The default leveling system in Morrowind and Oblivion was utter trash and actively encouraged minx-max bullshit just to have a character build that wasn't shit.
Basically, your skills increase by using them, but your base stats only increase at level up based on which skills you've used, so if you haven't been specifically targeting to train strength, you will get a +2 or maybe +3 across many stats if you choose to increase that next level. Whereas if you specifically target heavy weapons skills and shit, you will get +5, and you can only choose two stats to upgrade at a time. So unless you've got a level overhaul mod you can say goodbye to role-playing as you spend your time maximising your level-up situation.

Are you underage or something? Seriously, what's up with these shit threads where you pull out a fairly well known mainstream game and pretend like it just came out?

Don't bother, modding Oblivion is a fucking mess compared to Skyrim or Morrowind.

Just play Morrowind.

The mod pack where you get raped by every creature before leaving the tutorial in conjunction with the mod that makes you and npcs translucent based on your sneak skill resulting in invisible stalkers.

Joburgs and Sneaking Detection Recalibrated.
If you want the >just sucked everyone in Cyrodil off mods then peruse Lover's Lab and so on. Check out Necromancers and Demons or some shit, adds warring factions of Angels, Demon Hunters and Demons. Also revamps Ayylmaos dungeons to feature aforementioned factions as well as rape dungeons for bandits. Also some rapeable disemboweled corpses and slashed tiddies if you're into that. I am

I told you the last thread and I'll say it again - that mod sucks. Yes, in theory it's great but the problem is how the game is not even remotely balanced to account you having stats that high and how you'll grossly overpower bloody well everything (even earlier than usual that is) short of artificially hard creatures such as those from MMM.

Just get all the lewd mods you can and turn Cyrodil into the rape center of the Empire.

It's not worth playing at all OP. Just get Angband or one of the several variants like Z+Angband.

it is 11 years old, user.

Just go to the nexus and look at all top mods and choose them yourself. Also get all expansions and DLCs, because why the fuck not

Apart from the quests its objectively worse than Skyrim.
Playing through it right now largely unmodded so I'll list some things that can be improved via mods.

Unofficial Patches are a given. Get a mod that fixes all the crashes too.

Get a mod to improve the combat system. Deadly Reflex is supposedly good. The vanilla combat system is dogshit. Its just attack->block->attack->block… until enemy dies unless your enemy can cast healing spells in which case you'll want to damage their magicka before fighting.

The levelling system is tedious as fuck. Worse than both Morrowind AND Skyrim. Unlike Morrowind you only have 3 skills tied to each attribute and you won't know which skill ties to which attribute while you are making your custom class in the beginning. The levelling itself works same as in Morrowind meaning focus on maxing out Endurance first then anything else but with a key difference which makes it even more tedious. You cannot build attribute bonuses once you've hit the final level up skill forcing you to micromanage your skill gains even harder. Get Oblivion XP for this or some mod that ties skill gain directly to attribute gains without levelling.

The monster variety is very much lacking. Instead of having a wide variety of mobs, they are level scaled all to shit so you'll be encountering the same variety of monsters but with HP scaled to your level making them damage sponges. There are a bunch of mods which change this. MMM and OOO come to mind but there are probably others.

Quest rewards are level scaled too making them worthless depending on when you get them. Get a mod to change this.

The overworld is very generic and samey. Get Unique Landscapes to fix this.

The UI is a pain in the ass. Get the Darknfied UI mod and a mod that adds keyboard shortcuts to the UI too.

Midas magic is a fun mod but it adds a bunch of OP meme spells. Might not be your cup of tea but still give it a try.

Then there is also Nehrim which is a total conversion better than the base game imo.

And? Is OP 11 years old as well? We're not talking commodore64, amiga and arcade machine platformers here. and frankly if you're a "gamer" over 25 you should have at least some knowledge of those

Oblivion is shit, so is skyrim.
Come to think of it, all TES games are shit.

This is pure nonsense. I've never min/maxed a single character in Morrowind. You aren't required to only put points in the attributes with the multipliers attached. I usually always put one point into luck even though it never gets a multiplier. This is probably why your characters suck if you don't maximize right from the start. It's because you don't understand how to play and your characters are all very unlucky.

Fortify Luck apparel works even better.

If you don't put 5 points in endurance every level up until its maxed out you will be stunted in health.
The gap is around 300 health points for 20 levels between a character who doesn't max his endurance early vs someone who does.

Don't do this. Just fucking play the game cunt.

Just use a level uncapper.

Getting to higher levels without proper growth is setting yourself up for failure.
This rings especially true in Oblivion where enemies gain damage and health based on your levels.

Use a static level list then. These things exist because people don't want to play autistically with their stats.

This, really. So many legal ways to break that ceiling and these shitters need cheat mods?

Did you read my full post or just rushed to reply to it without even reading a full paragraph?

You're never fighting against a player character who started to maximize his endurance from the start. Optimal builds are not necessary to beat the game. Also, there is no weakness that you can't compensate with an enchantment.

I read "there's a mod to fix this" for every complaint you had and you immediately invalidated that statement by asserting . Are you just upset that you contradicted yourself?

I did and I can tell you it's incredibly sad that you're presenting yourself as someone who's opinion is worth a damn when you apparently can't into elementary alchemy or enchanting. Fuck me, you can't even into leveling without this crutch retard mod.

STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM. NOBODY BREAKS THE LAW ON MY WATCH.

PAY THE COURT A FINE OR SERVE YOUR SENTENCE

Instead you're fighting enemies whose health is a direct multiple of your level.
Savage Trolls have a health of 22xlvl-2 and minotaur lords have a health of 22xlvl with a scaled damage per hit of 24+lvl/2 meaning you'll be increasing the damage you take every other level.

How are those two posts contradictory at all?

How does Oblivion's gimped enchanting and alchemy help against its level scaling retardation?

I'm talking about Morrowind. Oblivion a shit and I definitely beat that one too without min-maxing. Since block succeeds 100% of the time, you just need patience to whittle away at all those damage-sponging minotaurs.

You still take damage through blocks and get stunned the same through it. Minotaur lords have a spell which disintegrates armor too. Blocking isn't going to do shit to that.

You can easily beat oblivion without min maxing. My point is that its fucking tedious as every enemy becomes a damage sponge

You can take that goalpost and shove it up your scrub ass. Those arbitrary 200 HP? Pocketchange even for that "Oblivion's gimped enchanting and alchemy" except (like getting a +5) it requires some effort.

I'd actually understand if you just suck and add a bunch of shit via the console to compensate, but this justification crap makes me sick.

It's tedious no matter what, but I will give you that one. Though I did beat the game with a dagger thief light armor character and I never had any trouble with those minotaur lords they place in perfect increments along every road in the game after I reached a certain level. Also, I breezed through all the big bosses with my very first character, even though my build was utter shit. Another sign of just a bad RPG.

What the fuck are you even talking about now?
Is
Supposed to be a coherent sentence?

Stealth is fucking broken in oblivion. Daggers get what, an 6x stealth multiplier with ignored armor?

tbh if you ever played vanilla Oblivion long enough to see that retarded level scaling at high levels, you should kill yourself

What the fuck? What kind of idiot would design a system like that? You're fucking with me right?

I'm 32. Not everyone plays every game at release, so don't shit your pants.

here you go famalamasenpai
8ch.net/tes/res/2137.html

Like I said, you can take that goalpost and shove it up your scrub ass.

No, he's extrapolating bullshit to justify a cheat mod because he can't remain competitive in a singleplayer game or some shit. Cherry-picking the bad and conveniently ignoring how you have the tools (like the training) to optimize your gains, different tools to marginalize/supplement them, or how you don't even need to bother since you'll steamroll everything after a certain point.

Then stop making the same shit thread when you finally do get around to play it and just play it? This is without exaggeration the fourth (I know of) near identical OP tesiv thread we had in the last two weeks.

I had something like 20gb of mods for Oblivion and probably spent more time setting up mods than actually playing the game. Stuff I would suggest:

Replaces the elder scrolls style leveling system with a more traditional one where you gain XP for doing stuff (including heaps of non-combat activities) and when you reach the level requirement, you get a levelup and can spend your points how you like. 100% improved the game experience for me because I no longer had to worry about minmaxing my skill gains per level.

Importantly, you want something that'll reduce or remove the level scaling enemies, so you don't get bandits with glass armor running around outside the imperial city. OOO had a cool idea of making it so the further you get from a city the harder the enemies were

I think I used DarNified DarkUI, which gave the UI a dark red leather style and improved the amount of stuff displayed on screen.

Fashion Scrolls, basically.

There are some ridiculous spells in that mod.

Basically just adds some cool loot into the game

Adds a bunch of cool tools and abilities related to sneaking. You can knock people out, use rope arrows, etc.

Otherwise the game is decent. I had a lot of fun.

No, I'm not fucking with you. The leveling system only gives you so many points depending on what skills you've leveled up, so unless you're keeping track of which skills you've increased since your last level, you won't know until you sleep (when the level up occurs) what bonuses you will be able to choose from.
Faggot replies saying your level doesn't matter because you can break the game with enchantments or shit are stupid. I'm not saying you can't overcome the shit level system, I'm saying the level system itself is shit. Especially since the game scales fucking everything to your level, and unless you've trained the right skills and chosen the right bonuses, like the endurance bonus to health (which you only get so many of because there's a level cap BTW), you'll get your shit pushed in unless you, in turn, resort to breaking the game via enchantment/alchemy/fortify exploits to overcome said bullshit.

I wasn't sneaking. I was riding my horse. Maybe the real issue is that you're terrible at an easy game if you're having this much trouble understanding how I could kill those minotaurs without maximum endurance. It's just "block block whack block block whack repeat."

Eh, if you pay trainers to raise the skills you want, then it's not as much of a PITA as you describe. At least in Morrowind, in Oblivion you have a limit of training lessons per level-up IIRC.

How so?
I've only played Oblivion and if I ever play Skyrim I'll do it in a console, as the devs intended.

Oblivion is even more casual believe it or not.
What the hell are you talking about? I wish there was some form of thought put into character building in TES games. Oblivion's damage sponge enemies aren't caused by a lack of min/maxing, they're caused by a combination of over-the-top level scaling and the fact that Strength and weapon skills past 100 don't add any damage. Having more health won't stop that.

I remember this shit. My dad and I played Oblivion at release, and he went stealth cannibal elf archer while I went sword and board magic negro. The level scaling was such a pain in the ass that eventually he just went everywhere with 100% chameleon gear and hoarded pilfered sigil stones in Bravil, while I had enough buffs on at any given moment to slap down anything short of those fucking goblin warlords in a few swipes.

His character was organically progressed, while mine was significantly less optimized read: tape down the "C" key with a "Fortify Magicka + 1pt Fire on Self" spell and walk out of the room. Neither was close to min-maxed.

Get all the expansions, they're trivial to pirate if you don't want to pay for them. Shivering Isles is excellent, Knights of the Nine is pretty good.
As for mods, this is a good starting point:
tesgeneral.com/oblivion-guide
Get everything in the essentials section (except for the leveling mods, pick one or don't, I don't actually mind the default leveling that much). Take your pick from the rest. I highly recommend getting some kind of overhaul mod to fix the level scaling. OOO is a good basic option, or you can try FCOM if you're feeling ambitious (it takes a lot more effort to install, and at least when I tried it it was more prone to bugs, but it adds a ton of shit).

Disagreed on Morrowind. The thing with Morrowind is that there are only VERY few leveled enemies and dungeons, everything else stays the same, for example if you're good enough to clear a dungeon that'd be way too tough for your average character at that level, you reap the rewards of getting really good loot. Leveled loot and enemies is the only really glaring problem with Oblivion which is the reason I could never get into the game. The enemies are not hard, it's just that they take way too much damage and are thus too tedious to defeat.

Waht do

How is Angband fun without an autoexplore feature?

Oblivion is a very flawed game but can be midly fun if you play it as a glorified Saints Row sandbox that doesn't take itself seriously. Just include your favorite goofy game breaking mods in a big pile and see how fast you can make the game break itself.

Slam it in his ass all night long.

BREED ME
R
E
E
D

M
E

Oblivion was so bad that it made me question whether or not video games are even worth playing at all. For the love of christ OP, don't do it.

Errr… what?

In TES games, always make your main attributes not the ones that are you main stats. For Oblivion I made Repair (or blacksmith/whatever it was called) a Major skill and some other one that was easy to level. This way you could raise all your minor skills to max without leveling at all. Making it easier for you in the long run, even if they took longer to upgrade. From there, you could level just by spending your hammers to get the benefits of your actual build.

Shove a sword up his asshole.

The sharp metal one, not your penis.

Daggerfall>Morrowind>Oblivion>Arena>Skyrim

How? They even got rid of the fucking attributes. Everything in Skyrim felt like it was meant to jack off the player to.

RedGuard>Daggerfall>Morrowind>Oblivion>Arena>Skyrim

What did arena do to hurt you?

False, everything is still spongey as fuck

What did Bethesda do with Fallout 3 and later games btw? When I talked to people about Oblivion I used to hear how it was boring as hell, but after Oblivion, starting with Fallout 3 people started praising their games for some reason. That was my experience at least

Oblivion was very popular, I'm not sure what you're on about

Stop the Redguard meme fam!

Kids who grew up with babbys first RPG are now on the internet

Have both of you lynched for faggotry.