Paper Mario TTYD

This is in my top 3 favorite games of all time, but let's be honest.

Mario is a worthless character. There is absolutely nothing interesting to him; the deepest he gets is the distinction between jumps and hammer, or when characters slap him or kiss him comedically. The reason the story is good is the fucking awesome partners. Most of them have fleshed-out back story and unique personality, with Goombella being the worst in both regards. Flurry, Vivian, Yoshi, Bobbery, Koops, Ms. Mowz… And they all have great unique flavor text for various situations.

Luigi even has an awesome sidestory going in spinoff game potential. Fuck Mario, LUIGI is a much better character. Mario is like Mickey Mouse: the most soulless, inoffensive, universal, corporate logo character who you'd never want to be. Anyone else is a better character.

Also, this game is FUCKING GOOD.

How come Sticker Star sucked so much balls compared to this game?

I never played paper mario, maybe i will try first in Nintendo 64 emulator, thanks for the recomendation.

Yeah, this guy gets i

FUCK YOU GOOMBELLA IS PERFECT

Let me let you in on a secret. This entire style of website was based off a Japanese site. You are posting on a weebshit inspired forum.

SHE IS SPUNKY AND SHE WEARS A TIE

LITERALLY PERFECT

That is actually why Mario is the best character.
He is nothing, a blank canvas for the player to fill.
A Freeman, a Cell, a Doomguy.
He's the player, a silent character that beside a few grunts never really talk.

If they placed an character that had an opinion about everything, always said random shit and whatnot that would be fucking obnoxious.

Paper Mario is good because he isn't interesting, it's just a blank sheet.
And that's how it should be for all RPGs in my opinion.

Given how Mario himself generally doesn't have much of a speaking role at all in other games (beyond the usual "let's a go" and such), even main series platforming ones. Not like he has all that much in the way of character development in the main series either.

Paper Mario 64 is good in its own right, but TTYD makes a number of worthy improvements on the formula. I also liked SPM, but that is much more of an action platformer with RPG elements (as opposed to a JRPG with platformer elements to the exploration), and I can see why people expecting more like the prior games would get mad, leaving the game rather divisive.

Who wants to guess how long this thread will last before anons start arguing over the localization?

yeah ok you shill, go back to leftypol

SPM was a departure in gameplay, but it still had the majority of things that made the series good
Which is why sticker star is near universally hated despite going back to the JRPG formula(and managing to ruin that too)

Well yeah I think that's why the partners are so great, but you can't be 100% it was intentional since the devs had no choice to give Mario (a safe, corporate icon) a personality at all. But as for RPGs as a whole, while player characters should usually be silent or rarely speak, Grandia is an example of proper use of player characters with a personality. The player character is an adventurer, and in the game you go on an adventure with partnering adventurers; so his personality matches the gamplay and story, and thus how the player would actually feel while playing. If he were silent it would absolutely betray the fact that he is going on an exciting adventure, breaking rules, snooping around, fighting, etc. Paper Mario is different of course, but I'm just saying it all depends.

Nintendo has had the choice for years and years to give Mario a personality. They are just well-aware that it's a bad decision. It's why they play with Luigi instead, because it doesn't matter if they screw up Luigi.

This was actually funny. Fuck.

That's also why Luigi is a little more interesting. Of course since they never bother to give him a spotlight all he is le funny scared of ghosts man from Mansion or le funny weird Mario from Smash, but even that is better.

Miyamoto couldn't shut up.

What the fuck is wrong with their thought processes?!?!?!

WHAT
THE
FUCK

THEY RUINED EVERYTHING

There is no need to type in such a retarded fashion.

Personally I like how they did it in the Mario & Luigi games where Mario is the straight man and Luigi is the funny man. Paper Mario has even less character than that, if any.

You could say his characterization is paper-thin.

How could I forget Superstar Saga? I used to love that game. Luigi was pretty funny in that one. I just don't understand why Mario can't be interesting somehow.

Same reason you can't make Mickey interesting. Anything not perfectly bland is potential damage to the corporate image.

Well Mario being bland in that actually is a good thing as it's played up pretty well with the ridiculousness of other things in the game

Yeah, it is. It's one of the very few cases where it works. The gist of the corporate mascot is that everything should be contained to the design you see in renders or something. There should be no developing canon or storyline or extraneous personality traits whatsoever. And Mario's basic design actually communicates quite a lot for what it is.

Mario's design came from hardware limitations, Miyamoto couldn't convey a whole lot in a NES sprite, so most of the features mask the limitations; mustache is easy to convey, hat to avoid conveying hair, overalls are simple to convey and have two nice contrasting colors (can't have a lot of colors in a sprite also), gloves. Him being a plumber is just the overarching idea to tie these design quirks together. As far as the corporate mascot thing goes, what Mario has is bright, simple, and few colors, a chirpy personality (big smile), fat and a plumber (he is an Average Joe), and he is shown mid-jump in all the promotional images. Technically, a fat Italian plumber shouldn't work as a corporate mascot, which is probably why he isn't very fat, the Italian is low key (his voice is more energetic than ethnic), and he doesn't plumb.

Mario can't be interesting because it's the world around him that's supposed to be interesting. Mario games are like roadtrips, it's not the car that really matters, it's where you're going and how you get there.

So much for "Dr. Miyamoto" being a genius of game design.

64 was better. SMRPG too. TYD was the weakest of the series but is the one who receives more love, I really don't know why.

This user gets it

Why can't this shit just go away. It's not fucking satire if it's so fucking retarded that it's not even making a joke.

I liked Super Paper Mario, it wasn't even close to how great TTYD was but it was still a fun little platformer that still had the humor from the past two games intact.

I agree. People expecting the next Paper Mario RPG didn't help it though.

No joke, if they managed to flesh out that 2D to 3D gimmick and make the game harder, it'd easily be one of my favorite Mario platformers ever.

Hi, the team on stickerstar fucked everything up and blamed it on miyamoto because they were incompetent. Please, go fuck yourself for knowing this incredibly basic fact.

Mario is actually kind of weird. Sort of… paranormal, at times. For example, his reflection never blinks.
Not that Luigi's any less weird. Did you know the buttons on his overalls are actually metal rods that go all the way through his body?

(Checked)
(Checked)
Naw fam, you niggers all rushed to the defense of your favorite childhood game you people like to masturbate to.

I liked it too, but the way you guys constantly felate it like this with 24/7 threads and then this display is pathetic.

I liked the idea behind the combat system in Sticker Star, but the rest of the game wasn't designed around it.
I could imagine a similar inventory attack system working best in a gauntlet type game, where you focus on preparing to hold out against many weaker enemies but also have some space for bigger attacks on tougher ones. Sticker Star only did this on the final boss. It didn't work out well because the rest of the game was completely different and didn't lead the player through that mind set.

Okay but why do you think that? It's worthless if you don't explain why you think they're better. They are all top-tier RPGs.

Good "joke"

I got bored pretty early in, but maybe I should give SPM another go sometime.

Nintendo has among the best in programmers and artists. Any time a Nintendo game is fucked up, all blame goes straight to the management of the team. If the programmers and artists weren't good, blame still goes to the management for not hiring better. Business.

Speaking of weird shit check out pic related, creepy background thing from Galaxy 2

The sticker thing isn't new, M&L Partners in Time did an inventory attack system really nicely, even though it's not an M&L game I'd revisit (it was an alright game as a kid with a DS). Sticker Star is just mindboggling in how awful it is in every way.

TTYD is shallow in many ways and a smaller game, with a not-so-good story.
I think the apex was 64.

Dunno what you mean
Similar length, I thought
Thousand Year Door and Shadow Peach as villain are both really cool, I liked all the traveling even though the world felt less connected due to pipes or vehicles taking you everywhere.

I'm not arguing though, PM64 is a great game.

He's not interesting, but he is practical. Also no shit, this and the fact that they made everyone they could get away with a toad are a big reason why the last two paper mario games have been completely AWFUL

Less shallow than 64.

Total bullshit, it took me much longer to reach the end of TTYD than 64 did.

Neither is 64's or RPG's. They aren't meant to be spectacular stories. They're excuses for adventures. The real stories are all in the chapters rather than the overarching plot, the real stories are about the fun side-characters you meet and weird villains you fight. And I'd say all the RPGs are equal in those terms.

You really should, it gets pretty good after the slower opening levels
The only thing wrong with the game is that it isn't an RPG

I recently replayed PiT because I'm marathoning the series to see which are good and which are bad. I forgot the bros moves were items because I only used them on bosses which made them pile up and never had to be bought.
I was thinking of something more like Sticker Star where you have to manage the attacks more, but actually put it in a situation where it makes a difference.

I'm currently nearing the end of Dream Team and PiT was probably the most boring one so far. Hallway simulator and the fights are just Superstar with 2 more buttons. I tested Paper Jam a little and I already know that's probably going to be at the bottom of the list, though.

64 really copied SMRPG in structure and tone of the game. and that's why 64 is great. bowser is a threat. bad guys are bad guys. The adventure is taken seriously

TTYD is more light-hearted but they truly elaborate in it and for the better. its an excellent game. TTYD is objectively better than 64 because it is an upgrade, an elaboration on mechanics, learning from their first time, etc.

Sticker Star is a mistake and people like to scapegoat miyamoto but the true culprit is the female director leading it. She never even played previous paper marios.

Who is the female director? I can believe you because women always ruin everything when they get to direct things, since it's a fucking man's job.

Oh yeah, "Those Trees**

It's just the sequel to that game given a new artstyle so they didn't have to get square involved.

why has nobody called that out as bait?
is user that easy to bait now?

wait nvm i just hadnt read the thread yet
its still bait though

FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF ==FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
TUMBLRSHOT==
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT

FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLR==FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
SHOT==
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT
FUCK OFF TUMBLRSHOT

Shh… just relax, user

Are you sure you just don't have a dragon foot fetish?

I'd say Shiggy's about due for the glue factory. Maybe he'll walk into traffic like Gunpei did.

Studious goomba gal fetish, possibly.

She was designer of Sticker Star and Battle and general system designer for Color Splash.

She is the reason we have the lazy choppy frames on the paper to give it a paper "feel" to the characters instead of the smooth animation from paper mario and paper mario TTYD. She also ruined color splash's battle system by making it a giant bureaucracy to just attack once with mario

Her name is Yukio Morimoto. And she is the one responsible for making it so boring to attack in both games

TTYD had better partners