Hearthstone

You got me good Holla Forums. At least now I know you were joking when you said it wasn't p2w.

Not sure what you expected from the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to any kind of card game.
And it's not p2w, it's "make a decent deck and win a little more than half the time because it's the epitome of mindless topdecking"

Do you actually believe that paying doesn't help you win or something? I thought it was pretty clear the correlation.

The joke is that if you give blizzard all your money and have all the cards you'll still only get a slightly above 50% winrate even with cookie cutter decks from professional cashstone players

What's the winrate of someone who doesn't give money to Blizzard?

Yeah Blizzard did a terrible job with the catchup for new Players, It's why the game is dying off.

As a free player, it takes thousands of hours and games to even obtain the current meta cards. And by that point they have already released another Expansion, resetting your progress and putting you back at square one.

A simple solution would be to allow card trading, or some kind of In game auction house system you can buy cards for cheap with your in game currency (If they wanna avoid chink 3rd party sellers)

In my opinion OP, just don't bother with modern Blizzard games. They're a shit-tier company now.

Directly correspondent to hundreds of hours played at an optimistic rate of maybe 10% per hundred hours, once you get out of ranks 20-25 where most people aren't actually even playing the game anyway.

We never did that.

im sure it still evens out around 50%. thats just what match making aims for in games

anyone tried the standalone Gwent?

If it makes you feel any better OP, even if you were to buy OP cards, you'd still lose because the other person drew into their main combo before you, which is literally all the strategy involved is drawing into your good shit before they draw into their good shit.

I got invited to Gwent, and while I still haven't gotten around to playing the Witcher games and feel no desire to spend money on kegs I've been having a lot of fun.

The cards they give you to begin with are decent enough to win some games, and the starter decks are playable. Much more enjoyable than when I started playing Hearthstone sometime around GvG launch, although I suppose this could potentially change in the future, as the game is still in "beta".

Unless you've been playing this for 2+ years, it's not worth getting into. With every new expansion the meta gets fucked harder.

Hearthstone always had a high churn rate. The thing that kept it making money was the massive amount of players Blizzard could funnel into it thanks to their other games (and the whale hunting that brings - most of the game's income comes from whales who spend tens of thousands of dollars to get all gold decks). Devs who try to make card games expecting the same success are fucking idiots of the highest caliber. When Hearthstone finally dies Blizzard will just roll out another card game like one based on StarCraft or Diablo and start the whole thing over again, and it will work for them, because of their existing audience and fanboys.

Wasn't there a bot that made it close to the top ranking by simply playing some expensive meta deck and shitting out the cards with the highest win percentage?

What did you possibly expect

You can still bot with meta decks and reach legend eventually. All you need is a deck which can win more than 50% of the time and it will eventually happen. Normal players have to do that grind too. Scripted bots may not be as smart, but most of the game is about what cards you get in what order (luck) and not super high level thinking.

Hearthstone is fucking disgusting. The amount of man-hours you need to put into this game as f2p is almost inconsequential. You need the expansion, you need the latest card sets, just to stay competitive.

Is there deep thought and strategy required when both sides are prepared and know the match up? Of course, but the paywall to getting into it is obscene. Great, you can pay in-game WoW shekels for content packs. Still doesn't change the fact that you're paying for shit, or still paying for shit while having to grind out x10's of thousands of gold.

This is coming for someone who has every content pack, but still only dropped maybe $30 on the game, and everything else was paid for.

Blizzard ruins lives.

Play Shadowverse

You are forgetting about the people who have just been playing since release and managed to grind their whole collection.

Yeah, but those people aren't at ranks 20-25, they are either somewhere between rank 1 and 15, or are just playing Arena.

A lot of people who mostly play arena do their quests in ranked, and they're usually around rank 20, maybe 15 at most near the end of the month.

It's absolutely p2w. That's why I quit a long time ago. There were realizing new expansions faster than it was possible to keep up without shelling out hundreds of dollars every three months to remain competitive.

The game is entirely RNG with no room for strategy or mitigation with the hand you draw, it's simply luck of the draw. The microtransactions are a trap for retards that want to be REAL GAMING PROS and blizzard gleefully rubs their hands together as a result.

Shadowverse is pretty alright though, if only because it's far less jewish

i bought all the adventures with real money
ask me anything

When are you going to kill yourself?

when i fail all my finals and can't find a job

this, they give you a shit ton of free cards at the start and if your looking for more gold to get more cards you can do the campaign and battle the hard difficulty ai's which give 100 gold each. its a really good alternative to hearthstone if you can get pass the artstyle being to weeby in some places.

There is no "good alternative to hearthstone", you complete and utter retard. It's the absolute bottom tier of modern card games, with all the complexity of War, but combined with Upper Deck baseball cards to make it addicting and get people's money.

Oldschool Handlock did have some depth and took some kind of skill to play. That dont exist today but i do think that there was some kind of skill needed to play Handlock well

u rather we go back to playing magic standard format?

Or we can play Eternal. I dont play much HS anymore but Eternal is a fun game. Same with Faeria

It's terribly uninviting for newer players. As someone who's been playing it since release, I haven't had to spend a cent but I pity anyone who picks up the game now.
It also gets more luck-based with every fucking expansion it feels like because Blizzard has a fundamental misunderstanding with their card design.

It's a step up. Jesus christ have mercy on me for saying it, but it's a fucking step up. As a game, it actually has some decisions to make during the game itself.
It's not even a little bit good, but it's still a step up from the abyss that is hearthstone.

The main problem is that you have to spend 300-500 usd to get several viable decks if you want to play today. So what i did back then when Naxx launched was to buy an account with most of the cards for 140 usd. Still dumb but less dumb than giving 300-500 usd to Blizzard

Anyone here play Gwent? Don't worry, I'm never going to drop a dime on the game, but so far I've never actually needed to with the amount of gold and card scraps the game gives away. Far less RNG to boot.
RIP monster weather decks if the PTR patch goes live the way it is.

Is it good. Do it feel different from every other card game? Do you have decisions to make doing the game?

I can't tell who's more retarded. The idiots that said it wasn't P2W or you for believing them. Basically all card games are P2W, with a heavy dose of RNG regardless.

All BAD card games are P2W. Good ones also allow the player to mitigate their inherent randomness.

Name the good ones, I'm listening.

YGOPro :^)

this

Strip Hearthstone

Faeria. I am serious

Android: Netrunner has always been a good example of this. The LCG business model has rendered CCG/TCG style distribution completely obsolete, and its strong core cards mean that even someone who hasn't purchased everything will be relatively competitive.
Speaking of purchasing everything, doing the math awhile back revealed that purchasing the entire ANR card pool would cost less than many competitive, tournament-winning Magic decks, and this is likely still true.
Mechanics to greatly mitigate the randomness of card games are also built into the game, with "draw a card" being a standard, repeatable action that a player can simply do. Draw and deck manipulation cards are also far more common than they are in games like Yugioh or Magic.
Which brings me to these faggots

Yugioh has the same problems as Magic. It's only a tiny bit better of a game, and that's only if you're looking at the first year or two.

The only one who is a faggot and a nigger is you because you obviously don't know dick about Yugioh in its current state, all meta Yugioh decks consist of basically searching through your entire deck multiple times on the first turn and then shitting half of your deck onto the field through special summons. Just because you're disappointed that your La Jinn + Yami deck hasn't been relevant since ever since the Great Pyramid was built or you're playing something like Flower Cardians which is basically Bricking Simulator: The Deck doesn't mean that Yugioh doesn't have an overabundance of draw and search engine cards (which it obviously does). Half of the cards on Android: Netrunner would have to be draw engines/deck searchers for that to be the case.

That being said, the biggest and by far the most glaring problem with current Yugioh is that more often than not, the game is usually decided right at the start since 1st turn advantage is huge, there's a reason many people refer to it as a Coin Flip Simulator nowadays. However, on YGOPro in my experience on non-ranked servers people more often than not play casual-tier decks, so if you want to play one of your shitty pet archetypes like I do with Destiny Heroes, you can be sure that you won't just get trampled 95% of the time if you stick to non-ranked.

You're right, I don't, because it got progressively worse and I stopped playing many years ago.
Glad to know that it's continued the trend, albeit in a slightly different way.

It sure did, so having too many card searchers/draw engines like you suggested and like it is the case in Yugioh now clearly ISN'T good for a card game because while you do mitigate the RNG in whether your first drawn cards will be good enough or not, if you have too much RNG manipulation you get what Yugioh is now, which I described in my post. They also want to introduce Link monsters and only 1 extra monster zone unless you play a Link monster. They thought that it'd slow down the game, however if you think about it even for a second after seeing how Link monsters are summoned, you'll realize that fast decks that already have no difficult time in shitting out monsters through special summons from the main deck won't have any problems summoning link monsters either and will thus still dominate the meta. What's more, it has been confirmed that you can cockblock your opponent by taking his extra monster zone if you use a Link monster to Link to it and then summon your own monster on it. If Coonami wanted to make it more of a Coin Flip Simulator they could've just printed a card that says "Flip a coin, if Heads you win the match, if Tails your opponent wins the match".

It's a decent time waster, and I ground out a lot of time riding playing it on my phone, got all of the adventures f2p. Now I just emulate gba/snes games.

I heard many good things about that game but never played it as it is not an online game and i dont know anyone else that will enjoy it. Any websites i can play it online? And how hard is it to learn the rules

I do suppose I should clarify that just a bit as well. Netrunner's deck manipulation only serves to mitigate the randomness. Actual tutoring cards are far more rare than drawing/shuffling/scrying effects, are mostly unable to fetch more tutoring effects, even when you can it's a huge tempo hit, and tutoring can only get the player a fraction of the power he needs to win and if you're not careful can still easily be stonewalled by the other player.

jinteki.net is a web-based option with rules automation. Tabletop Simulator is also always an option. Watch the official video for rules, you'll get 90% of things from it, it's excellent.

It's a card game. Of course it's pay to win. Every fucking card game is pay to win in that if you want to win, you need to pay to buy enough packs to get the best cards. The only difference in hearthstone is they are doing it digitally and throwing you a bone with the dust mechanic so you can have an illusion of not having to pay to win.

I can't really fault a card game for being a card game. Now if you want to talk about the fucking retarded random effects plethora that turns the game into a waste of time, by all means.

Shadowverse is alright, for an online card game. You get a bunch of packs starting out so it doesn't feel too p2w. There's also a (free) expansion coming out in a few days, and they usually hand out free packs when they release one. It's very anime though, stay away if you can't stand that.

Haven is best

Again, corrected your misconception. Magic and Hearthstone are not the only card games, Monopoly and The Game of Life are not the only board games, and Call of Duty and Candy Crush are not the only video games.

Would you like to point out the CCG that doesn't require you to buy some form of booster packs to progress?

No, I wouldn't. All CCGs are bad, without exception.

I guess the best way to explain it is just to tell you how the game works: It's best of three rounds (so you win two rounds to win the match). The match begins by drawing 10 cards from your deck (you have a minimum amount of 25 cards in your deck, but you are allowed to have more than that if you wish), and you can mulligan 3 of them to get something better. In order to win a round, you must have the most strength by the end of the round. The round ends when both players pass their turn, whereby if you pass your turn, you are no longer allowed to play cards for that round.
Each minion has a strength number attached to it (think of it like health of a minion as well), and a lot of the time a minion will also do something, like for instance if you play a certain card, you also play other copies of it from your deck. There are cards that also play like spells and even certain minions that remove strength from one or multiple minions. If a minion loses all its strength, it goes to the graveyard pile. There are also cards that can interact with the graveyard, including the opponent's graveyard as well.
Now, the big question you might be asking is "Well why would I ever pass my turn and let my opponent just keep playing cards until he has more strength than me?" Here's the kicker: those 10 cards you draw at the beginning of the match are the ONLY cards you draw. This isn't like Hearthstone where you draw a card every time its your turn. The only time you draw cards is at the end of a round (beginning of round 2 both players draw 2 cards, and round 3 both draw only 1), or if you play a card that lets you drawn cards. However, there are usually drawbacks to playing a card that lets you drawn more cards like "draw two cards, then discard two cards" or a minion that you play on your opponent's side (a spy in this case) but you can then draw usually two cards. You usually play spies when you know you're going to lose the round so you then force your opponent into having less cards going into the next round.

Hope that helps clear some stuff up. I'm going to be exercising for about an hour, but I'll certainly be back if you or anyone else has anymore questions.

Infinity Wars is, I think, one of the least pay to win trading card games, and it's actually somewhat original in the gameplay department too, too bad the game is dead and plebs like OP would rather play cardstone.

Shadowverse, I'm a master level player and I can build any deck from 5/7 classes. I would be able to do the other two if I actually play more than once or twice a week.

How bad is the grind for f2p players? Most games agree that HS is too slow so they make it faster for f2p to get cards

How stale is the meta? Is it the same 3-4 decks at top rank or do we see many different decks at top rank

And finally if i do spend money on the game do i get more value for money compared to Hearthstone or other CCGs? The best deal was where you could get all the cards in Faeria for 50 usd but they removed that

i wanna put my deathwang in that elfs butt and puss

You know how in hearthstone you get a new quest every day? In Gwent, there's something like that, but instead of a quest, it's simply a marker of how many round you've won. Every day it starts the marker asking you to get 6 rounds won. Every two rounds it will net you maybe 15 gold or like 15-20 scraps. When you hit 6 rounds won, it rewards you with 100 gold to spend on a card pack, then the meter resets asking you to hit 12 rounds won. When you hit 12 rounds (with 2 rounds giving you some small rewards), you'll get a hefty amount of gold for probably 2 packs or at least 500 scrap for cards (to put into perspective, 800 scrap creates a legendary card). Then the meter resets to 24 rounds won, etc etc etc.

This doesn't even go into how card packs work. When you open a keg (game's version of packs), it gives you 4 random cards that can range from either common to legendary. The fifth card, which is always a rare or higher, is a choice out of three random cards, so that way you're at least given some chance of finding a card you don't have yet.

There are 5 factions total with three leaders to choose from for each faction. Each leader has an ability that counts as a card when you play it, so you can only use it once per match. at the lower ranks where a lot of people are, I have seen a bunch of stuff, but the higher you go, then more you tend to see the same decks. At best, each faction has probably 2 different decks that are in the meta right now, so it's no where near as bad as Hearthstone at the moment. Balance is also still a big deal right now, and weather cards are going to be getting a massive nerf to playability (which is one of the key decks you find with Monsters faction), so a lot can change before the final release.

Really the only point in spending money is just to get a ton of card packs to open, so I guess it just gives you the higher the chance of getting cards needed for certain decks that you might want to build. Honestly, if you're any decent at winning rounds, not even necessarily winning matches, you'll still raise up that daily meter to get your one pack a day. To put it into perspective, I haven't spent a dime on the game, and so far I've found 3 legendary cards from packs, and I've crafted maybe 2 or 3 more along with a bunch of epic cards to boot.

Why did they throw him off the bridge?

Beat me to it. Netrunner is top-tier.

Don't forget to play with proper ambiance! Embed related is top-tier.

The real problem with the game - and why I quit a month ago - is that you legitimately get nowhere without being a Wallet Warrior. It's one thing to be a game that is completely fucking RNG through-and-through, but it's another to reset everything back to zero every year and thus nullify all your progress whether you paid or not. You could say that Wild has all the cards, but I think it's clear that Blizz fucking hates Wild and doesn't want you playing it. They want you playing your gambling addiction over and over again and winning about as often.

I got a bunch of Classic cards, went pretty far up the ladder with Ranked and got most of the Expansion cards, but this resetting to zero to make you run after more shitty cards is just plain bullshit, not to mention the occasional P2W Heroic Brawl they drop on you. Eventually I decided that I like progress in my games and this just wasn't worth all the randomness.

Sounds great. Since it is 21:27 CET my timezone i will look into Netrunner and Gwent tomorrow. Both seem like good games. I like the genre but i feel like the games play themself most of the time no matter what card game i am playing so i hope those 2 will be different. Anyway for Gwent is there any draft mode and if yes did they just do the generic and overdone Hearthstone pick 1 card out of 3 draft or did they do something more orginal?

That's the biggest flaw with games like Hearthstone and Magic. You build a deck and walk through the single, obvious, best choice each turn in order to do what the deck is designed to do.
Even taking the best tournament decks for Netrunner will only get you a little of the way, because it actually has relevant decisions that you need to make each turn, or else you will lose.

Right now the only way to get into Gwent is via closed beta invite. Pretty sure the open beta will kick off next month with the release of the new balance patch that's in the PTR right now, but I could be wrong. When in doubt, just go find the website and sign up just in case the open beta still won't be for a while.
The only game modes they have right now are just casual mode and ranked mode. Both play the same way and are just like how Hearthstone's casual and ranked play are like. There's nothing like an arena style game mode in it yet, but I'm not sure how they could work it unless they put a hard cap on cards that's low since usually most people play 25 cards minimum because of the low amount of cards actually played in a game. It's unwise to be building a deck of like 40 when you're only drawing 10 and at most an extra 4 or 5 throughout the match. Less cards means more of a chance to get what you need in your hand to win.

As a general rule, this is ALMOST ALWAYS the best option, adding more cards than the minimum allowed means that you're diluting the best of the best. Lean is usually the way to go.
Interestingly enough, Netrunner is actually the exception. Corp players will add just a few more cards within a fixed range in order to intentionally dilute the agenda cards that the Runner player wants to randomly find. It's the only time I've ever seen a card game where the minimum number of cards ISN'T the best choice.

You nailed it with this: That's the biggest flaw with games like Hearthstone and Magic. You build a deck and walk through the single, obvious, best choice each turn in order to do what the deck is designed to do. And i played a shitload of these games. I want to see something similar to Duelyst or Cards and castles with the board game movement but with 3 huge things to make the game stand out:

1: You start off with 10 cards in your hand
2: Cards have no mana cost. You can play 2 cards from your hand each turn and you draw 2 cards each turn. Cards are played as a boardgame like Duelyst or Cards and Castles
3: Cards have zero RNG
What do you guys think about this? I believe that it would be a great game as you would have many chooses each turn (that is my goal with this idea) In my next post i tell you what CCGs i have played and what ones i think are best

Well at that point you start getting into something like Mage Wars.
Honestly, randomness is fine in and of itself. The question is whether you can mitigate it or not (without basically ignoring it like yugioh does now.)
Magic does a poor job of this. Hearthstone does even worse. Topdeck, play a card. Topdeck, play a card.

In Hearthstone you have to buy an account or pay a lot of money if you want to have fun as the new player grind is terribad. Even doing dailys for gold would give you an arena run every 2,5 days. As for the game itself Blizzard sucks ass at balancing the game and they are creating stale shitty metas every expansion. They also nerfed the 2 decks that took some kind of skill to play (Handlock and Parton Warrior) Those 2 decks was not ¨You build a deck and walk through the single, obvious, best choice each turn in order to do what the deck is designed to do¨ unlike every other deck in this shitfest. No wonder why Blizzard nerfed it. At least it got me into the genre and the game itself deserves praise for one thing only. The game is so flawed that it created a big market for ccgs for people that are tired of Hearthstone and all those games have at least a little more depth and a more fair payment model

Sounds kinda like Smash Up, though there's still RNG in what you draw in that but you tend to go through your whole deck at least once over the course of a game so it all evens out.

kys fam

Because he deserved it.

Shadowverse: I did not play this that much but it is as many people will say a better Hearthstone with an ok evolve system that sets it apart from Hearthstone. I do think it is overrated for these reasons
1: It is still a huge grindfest since you can put 3 of the same legendary card in your deck. You always want 3 Ancient Elf as Forestcraft
2: The player going second have like a 55% winrate for what i remember
3: While the game do have more depth than Hearthstone (what a hard feat) You build a deck and walk through the single, obvious, best choice each turn in order to do what the deck is designed to do as that user pointed out still applies 95% of the time in Shadowverse

I played it years ago, before the retarded nerd packs. Maybe you should kill yourself for assuming everyone follows wheaton like you do.

Never heard about Mage Wars will give it a look. But really i am just thinking Duelyst, or Cards and Castles but with those 3 differences i named. I know it is not a super orginal idea but i do think that those 3 things will add way more depth to the game compared to having 3 cards and playing on curve. The goal with this idea is to add chooses to the game

Faeria:
Pros: Semi orginal gameplay that do have a small MTG feeling with the colors it is a very unique game otherwise. It also have more depth than most ccgs that are online only and released after Hearthstone

Cons is that they changed the payment model from buy2play (similar to a LCG) to free2play with an unique pay 50 euro and get all the cards or grind at a rate way faster than Hearthstone into something that is not much faster than Hearthstone (still slow as fuck) and they removed the way to get all the cards for 50 euro. So if you want cards faster you buy packs like HS. The game itself is still solid and worth playing

Jim couldn't feed him to the pigs.

At the very least Faeria's solo content gives you a decent amount of packs and gold. As well the daily login bonus and daily quests can set you up with a good 500-1000 gold a day. Enough to get you a pack every 1.5 days or a solo mission pack every 4~ days or so.

I recommend saving up for the solo mission packs personally. They give you the same amount of packs from completing them as well as bonuses from the Solo Play quests.

I am happy i did pay the 50 euro while the game was in EA. I just dislike how much slower they make it for new players but i have no real complaints against the game itself

Going to sleep will check on this thread and talk about other CCGs i played when i wake up

It's a bungee jump video. Someone just edited out the bungee cord.
If you look at the guy in the red jacket to the left you can see him holding a small portion of the edited out brightly blue cable.

Pokemon

they gave out a LOT of keys so either you can buy it for 0.40c from key site or google around to find a site that gives a key for newsletter subscribe (where you can just insert some temp email and get a key that way)

FUCK THE MONSTER DECK

Hearthstone has been shit for a while now. If you want to play a digital CCG, TES Legends is the much better option, less RNG and more deck variety. Gwent is quite a bit different and also fun but it's still going through big changes.

As someone who played Faeria in the beta, but lost interest before it became pay2play , how does it hold up?

Chalk up another vote for Netrunner. That game is amazing and FF really needs to make a client or something for it online.

A bad HS pack gets you 2.5% of a legendary while a bad SV pack gets you 3.5% of one. That isn't mentioning the better drop rates that aren't even comparable and the all of th free packs you get.
Find one game that is perfectly balanced for one side
Card games are unique in that you don't notice when you are making mistakes if you aren't playing 5 hours a day then I guarantee you that you are, maybe even every turn

Yes.

I am almost certain people here mentioned it was p2w.

Kill all elves.