What are some good games to play on LInux?

What are some good games to play on LInux?

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.debian.org/debian-women/2015/04/msg00008.html
change.org/p/valve-corporation-remove-steam-support-for-gnu-linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

rimjob simulator 1997

it's a 20 year old game, but you might just be able to play it on linux

Emulators and most games from 2010 and below

void linux never again
Roguelikes
Urban Terror
Serious Sam
Mountain Blade
Hand Of Fate
WINE as setting things to work under WINE is a puzzle game in and of itself

tux racer

Tux Racer and Minetest.
Also HITMAN and Batman Arkham Knight.

I don't know why you'd install any Linux distro and have specs like that, then expect there to magically be games to play.
Linux isn't for games. It's for efficiency and pretending you're safe from alphabets.

Please stop making these threads.
>>>Holla Forums

as soon as you send the Switch thread to >>>/toy/ as well

Super Tux Cart. Warning, it's EXTREMELY racist and sexist.
lists.debian.org/debian-women/2015/04/msg00008.html

Pretending? Dude, I haven't had an alphabet on my computer since I switched to linux…over 20 years. As for games…fuck it…dual boot windows…pretend you don't.

Sure, user. Those CIA leaks are fake and they don't have access to your files.
I never understood why people want gaymes for Linux when the smart option is exactly that. Windows is for vidya, Linux is for general browsing/typing and Macs are for graphics/video editing. Only because I grew up with Macs and Photoshop 1 and know all the shortcuts to CSS like the back of my hand.

Thanks…for the…blog post…user

And if you keep spilling the Wine, use CodeWeavers CrossOver. It's basically the professional version.

You…are…wel…c…o…m… … …e.(..).

Anyone, regardless of the system, who keeps their plans for world pizza conquest on a network-accessible computer deserves 10-years of CIA buttrape at Guantanamo Bay.

Open source needs to become more mysogynist and racist.

There's a decent amount of indie and AA/AAA titles on Steam and GoG if you're comfortable with those, like Metro Redux. Wine's DX11 support is improving rapidly too and most emulators run well on Linux so the average Linux user has a lot more options now than he did several years ago.

But I don't. I've got PCI passthrough now, which is way more convenient. still waiting for my cheap kvm switch to arrive though Even without that, Linux satisfies most of my gaymen needs because I don't really give a shit about (((modern))) vidya.

Nice list, here's some more.
>any flash or rpgmaker game
>daikatana

psssh………nothin……..personnel………………kid

Install Playonlinux and play whatever the fuck you want.

Dude Sex: Divided has a linux version.

Isn't PlayOnLinux just a front end? Use it if you can't configure Wine properly. If all else fails, CrossOver.

There are no games for Linux.

Pretty much any game, you just have to use playonlinux and install the correct libraries and wine version.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Someone explain to me why learning the entirety of linux is essential to using it when all I want is to browse the internet and install a package or 2. I'd probably get more out of linux if I learned it, but all I want to do is browse the internet, not code, not write scripts that I don't need.

GOG and then use Wine to run whatever isn't native.

All of them except for the few good ones that only use DX11 or don't have WINE support for some other reason.

Here's my favorite native ports:

If that's the case then it isn't essential, there's nothing wrong with casually using mint/ubuntu and anyone who says otherwise has crippling autism.

>post about linux games on >>>Holla Forums
>post about linux games on >>>Holla Forums
8ch boards confirmed for lazy parents.

Quake Arena and UT2004

So has it been, so shall it be

My thoughts exactly. Every linux thread is
Linux users are elitist and all they're doing is driving away newcomers to linux. I'm not saying give them linux with a spoon in the mouth but guide them in the right direction if they have trouble or want to learn more about it.

You are wrong. Last thread had one autist/false-flagger/shitposter going on about how the only way for a newfag to use Linux was to install Arch. Everyone else told him to shut the fuck up and install Linux From Scratch if he was so hardcore.

"Linux is full of elitists who make it hard for newfags" is the second meme Microsoft shills push after "Linux has no gaems".

Also, on topic, I saw that The Sims 1 is now supposedly working on Wine. I haven't tried it though.

WINE

Loss is a forced meme.

sudo apt-get install warzone2100

change.org/p/valve-corporation-remove-steam-support-for-gnu-linux

archtistic or fedorafag or what?

Debian is the best distro and mint is the best beginner distro as long as you don't fall for the cinnamon meme (use XFCE instead)

forgot pic

Reverse this graph and it'll be more accurate. Cinnamon is far better than XFCE, which is trash. Although I don't like the changes to Cinnamon and think it's been going downhill. LXQT looks like it's headed for being the new best DE. That's if you use a DE, which only retards do anyway. Openbox-only is the supreme choice.

Sorry I like development to be easy and to have a nice package manager.

I was once in your position too, friend. Just switch to XFCE now, it can do everything that Cinnamon can without the crashes and memory leaks. You just need to tweak it a decent amount because the default settings are pretty shit.

The graph isn't about which distro is best, it's about the distros that people with that amount of knowledge generally use. Mint is a fantastic distro and there's nothing wrong with experts using it instead of Debian for the convenience, but I think most generally prefer Debian.

How about every game?

I played around with it a bit but found it to be less friendly to vertical panels, what's better about it?

I got pic related after messing with XFCE.

Is it possible to play vanilla Dawn of War through Wine? All of the expansions work, but I want to finish vanilla before moving on to them.

>when serious sam on the serious engine "4" is ported to linux and you can run vulkan if it stutters more than opengl, there's a fix you have to do to make your cpu not gay.
Nice, there's also some actual linux exclusive games like Dead Heat and TANK TANK TANK.

just use apt, not sure if apt-get is going to be deprecated or not but it does the same thing with the only difference is a fancy progress bar

No one's safe from alphabets unless they're illiterate, and thank God I'm illiterate.

Fair enough, I just disliked it for hard to articulate reasons.

The hitman series is pretty playable on linux. Feels gud. Only 1st game doesn't have music for me.

This is it, linuxfags have gone as low as consoletards.

Hitman 2016 is a good game, in some ways its actually better than Blood Money. The main things about it that would be considered shit are the Denuvo and episodic bullshit but the Linux port has no Denuvo and was released after all the episodes were finished. Also you have to disable all the UI hints like objective markers to make the game actually playable.

Arkhan Knight however is dogshit garbage and anyone who enjoys it is one of those casuals who thinks they're super l33t hardcore for playing games like that or COD when in reality those games are just as simple as shit like Angry Birds, they just try and hide it with meaningless fluff and fancy gwafix.

nuHitman's gunplay, unlocking/grind system and performance are fucking gunk, though. It still has potential. I won't be buying any new episodes until it can run at 60fps consistently, though. Shit is inexcusable. Nearly got 100hrs on it, though.

hhe

That's gross, señor

I like Cinnamon but it's a buggy resourcehog, Xfce is more stable.
Also you complained about the graph about distros but bitched about DEs. Did you not read or are you retarded?

Anyone play this yet? I shilled it a few times.

TIS-100 things' good about tis' shit I'm runnin', but it still works like fucking a feminist.
I'ts a great autism simulator, or "programming game" as Holla Forums likes to call them, but you will feel pretty stupid in the end.

I never really got what the buzz around that game was. It's not like redstone or something where it's a means to make something complex.

I complained about the graph and bitched about the DEs, yes. Did you not read?

I said it because the graph was about distros, not about DEs.

Does anyone else have problems with Mint freezing up because of read/write shit. I have to reset my X-server to fix it and even then it'll crash quicker than if I just reboot.

Yes, and I asked if you read the conversation since you clearly did not follow it very well.

It teaches many logic concepts fairly well. The learning curve is very well designed, and allows a lot of freedom. Learning new things and solving problems make your brain go wooow, and that is why many people love these games.
Stephen's Sausage Roll is pretty fun, but gets insane (not in a good way) in the end.

I though both sentences were related, my apologies.

Every time I play it I just feel like I'd rather work on a real program.

Yeah, same here. Way too meta, you take a break from programming to play a programming game… the future is now. And it's a shitty one.

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS – more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff – including the software I wrote using GCC – and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.

Thanks for listening.

looks promising, what is it?

Signal Ops. It's basically KGB simulator + TF2 + Micro. It's a stealth tactical shooter where you control a squad of 2-4 in first person, and you pick your squad out of 6 agents although usually the bolt agent is required because he carries your signal.

The main thing about this game is it's so out there in terms of gameplay (literally split screen by 1 person) that it's a mindfuck to wrap your head around, so it's hard as fuck at first. Also you will lose all your gunfights because levels usually have someway to respawn guards. Whether it's an alarm system, patrols, etc. So the punishment for getting caught is basically having to go into panic mode and get your squad out of danger.

It also reaks of TF2's dark humor and art style, although it isn't as crazy. You do shit like, plant evidence in poeples houses, or sneak alongside the cliffside avoiding trucks to get into the military base to false-flag the rebels. Also all the missions are pretty varied, minus the first two.

The difficulty modifier is cool because all it does is tweak how much you have to micro the bolt agent's signal.

One wonders what the guy who made it did to relax when he wasn't working.

Issue I have is I'm interested in programming, but don't have any specific goal I'd like to achieve to motivate me to learn. And doing random shit in the hopes of getting better doesn't tickle my fancy. Most likely thing I'll end up doing is dabbling with quakeC or Doom modding at some point.

Clustertruck is a game I really enjoyed.

I tried to play that game before but it kept crashing.

what kinda games do you like op

I had linux only when I first built my computer. Played a shit tonne of Civ V. This was three years ago though so there's probably more options by now.

I just don't bother unless they're FOSS, or emulated. All the others go on my dirty slut Windows computer or game systems.

It's cool. I was just being an edgy little cunt.

what the dicks

Open Transport Tycoon

The first doesn't have music for anyone, it's removed because they no longer owned the rights to the sound track.