Grim Dawn

A Steampunk world warped by chuthulian influence. It's lovingly crafted with a dreary and lived in feel that perfectly encapsulates a malevolent force of corruption throughout.

If you fuck up your stat distribution or if you're simply a DIRTY FUCKING CHEATER you can use grim defiler to change your stats and other in game information. It also works for titan quest.

grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9343

Remember, it's not an ARPG unless you have Lovecraft references.

Other urls found in this thread:

grimdawn.com/guide/masteries/demolitionist.php

twitter.com/AnonBabble

did you get lost on the way to neogaf?

I'm not hip to the memes, was I too articulate?

No.
No.

The gameplay is shit, the enemy variety is shit, the loot system is shit, and the balance is shit. 6.5/10 at best, only good as a vessel for coop.

Yes. Also Necromancer class incoming.

Now we have IGN in there too.

It is steampunk. Feel free to disagree if you're okay with being wrong I guess.

It looks better than basically every other ARPG out there unless you like the fag aesthetic of Diablo.

Your tastes are shit and so are you.

I thought we were getting dual shooting something. I forget.

No. It's not.
Not even a little bit. Even POE blows it the fuck out in soundscape, gameplay and visuals.
Underage as fuck. Enjoy your shit thread, kiddo.

I've been looking forward to the new class
Wonder if its going to have lots of summons?
Wait just looked, Its 3 skeletons at beginning, Might be more later on
Honestly i would've been happy if they had just given it the revive spell from diablo 2
On the other hand, Diablo 3 is trying to add a necromancer class and expecting people to treat it like the necromancer class from diablo 2 which is infinitely superior

Its not really that steam punkish user
Its more post-apocalyptic fantasy
I also expected to get a dual shooting mastery as well

Still yet to see a class more fun to play than demolitionist

There is nothing powered by steam engines or even implied to be.
It looks worse than fucking Sacred 2, which is almost 10 years old now.
So yeah, you're pretty wrong.

As far as gameplay goes it's better than most I think.

Chill the fuck out, mate.

tbh fam, sacred 2 was pretty shit, I mean it wasn't that bad but there were much better ARPGs to come out that year

Are you new or something? You posted like you were trying to sell it to is, when everyone knows about the damn game. Also, you missed the part where it's only fun with friends.

Gameplay was terrible I agree. Also that toxic grass prevented most players from going past first zone.
But it's one of the most beautiful, atmospheric even and large open world games I've ever played.
I wouldn't recommend it though.

user you misunderstand, its funner with Friends but standalone its pretty good
Honestly though, it kind of lacks replayability if you dont have friends

Honestly it might have got more attention if it didnt come out the same year as Fallout 3, Dragon Age origins, Mass Effect (PC port) and Silver Fall (Gold Edition) if you guys have ever tried that personally u found Dungeon Siege 2 better

I*

Anyone in europe want to play via steam?

I suppose so, and I don't have much against the game, but there's not really anything to discuss until the new vocations come out. On the other hand, I do have something against OP, because, holy shit, I have not seen such faggy ass OP in a long time. I mean, like, damn, fam.

Fun fact: I haven't played any of them.
But Dungeon Siege 2 is pretty good. I fucked up my character progression somewhere 40 hours and just couldn't proceed anymore and dropped it. Shit was unforgiving, as well as I refused to drag any party members along, even pets.

That explains everything.

They have tracked vehicles, rotary fire arms, and many of the armors before you get to the rare stuff looks like cobbled together cog pieces. That's about as steam punk as I've seen in any arpg. What I like is that it's not over done and feels more lived in compared to more over the top steampunk.

Obviously the chuthulu gods wrecked everything that turned it into a post-apocalyptic fantasy. It's not overly emphasized but that's the impression I got from the world.

I'm pretty sure I saw complex machines nearby the fort and assorted steampunk fixtures throughout the world that suggested they were starting to industrialize and were bridging the gap before the old gods returned.

Also if Sacred 2 has that color palette all throughout I'll take Grim dawn over it any day.

Why? Just grab the donkey and you are fine
Also from what i hear Dungeon Siege 1 is better
Dungeon siege 3 is an abomination

That OP is pretty shit

How many Steam Punk RPGs have you seen?

Not too many of note. Arcanum? There's lots of games that have little bits and bobs of steampunk flavor that aren't what I would consider completely steampunk.

I wouldn't put GD on par with Arcanum but I can see GD being being an underdeveloped world of Arcanum. Instead of completely industrializing they get the old gods awakening.

If you're looking for ARPGs that are steam punk, I recommend Silver Fall, its not as good as dungeon Siege, but i preferred it over Sacred 2

It does not look like time was kind to it. Also

As far as the aesthetic it didn't strike me as a "steampunk" game any more than Grim dawn did on a first impression basis. Maybe I would need to play the game more to get a better grasp of the world but looks almost high fantasy with all those colors.

I can understand the colors part, But in all other aspects its pretty steam punk, with magic vs Technology ( Technology meaning steam punk)
Like one of the first abilities is shooting steam (from memory)
I dont see how Grim Dawn can even compare

Nature vs technology. I only played a little but they definitely open it up the choice as being hippies/druids vs relentless capitalists.

Grim Dawn is okay. I hope there are lots of skeleton warriors in the future. Skeletons are the shit.

can't disagree with that

From the screenshot you can have 7

I wouldn't compare them then. I see grim dawn as a world that was in the process of becoming industrialized and went off the rails with the old gods and you can see bits and pieces of industrialization starting to take hold but not being fully realized.

grimdawn.com/guide/masteries/demolitionist.php

Take a look at the demolitionist. It's a very dark and apocalyptic steam punk but I see it with the tech the world showcases. Seeing as how steampunk gets very little love I'll prop up any game that even has a bit of the aesthetic.

Since when fucking gunpowder is steampunk?

I feel insulted

Problem with Grim Dawn is the everything looks exactly the same.
All monsters look the same, all armor look the same, all locations look the same.
I guess it makes sense in-universe, but come on. I got so bored of everything looking like one huge first act I quit it after around 30 hours.
I mean I liked those hours and don't regret purchase, but I got used to diabloids offering me like 100 hours of gameplay before getting dull. Even trash like PoE held my attention long enough to complete campaign once.

The problem with Grim Dawn is that Path of Exile exists.

PoE isn't a very good game. Core gameplay in GD is miles better.
But fuck I dunno, I have twice as much time in PoE, I guess aesthetics are just as important in this genre, maybe even more than gameplay.

For once, I'd like to see a brightly colored, vivid and visually enticing diablo clone, instead of everything constantly trying to ape the same grimdark setting as if it's the only setting that can match the genre.

How about a goddamn Cyberpunk roguelike, where some Cthululian cybernetic horror took over the megacity, and you have to battle through the neon streets with vibroknives and laser knuckles? How about that?

Fucking idiots making games set in the past. PLAYED OUT.

I get the feeling you would rather play a roguelike than a Diablo clone

Thats just your opinion user, and its wrong

Torchlight 1&2 were pretty bright and colorful.

So you're just slapping on the label when there's barely even anything related there to inflate your little niche that is infested by hipsters and fags. At least you admit it, but that doesn't make the game Steampunk and you're an idiot for thinking people will just roll with it.

That's why we have rusty cogs on hats cosplay and shit.

Not rainbows and fairies and shit.
High tech. Bright neon. Everything made out of fiberoptics solely because it looks cool because form trumps function.
Cyberpunk is the shit. All settings should be cyberpunk.

Shill thread, hidden and filtered.

I bet you play PoE.

Whatever.

It's made by the Titan Quest devs, isn't it? TQ was also a boring, generic, copy-pasted cashgrab of a shitshow.
Grim Dawn has some fun mechanics going for it, so they've improved. Their setting is still bland as fuck, though, and the game's physics and projectile speeds could stand to be sped up about 20-50% to give the combat some pop. As it is now, the combat feels so slow and floaty that it feels like you're playing the game high on painkillers.

You forgot its also not a roguelike user

Got em

Ugh

I liked grim dawn the first hour. After that it gets incredibly repetitive.
Even the worst korean grinder can get you more motivated to slash monsters.

Skills are lame and there are only few of them. But devotion system was also fucking stupid and they fixed it by doubling or tripling damage on it.

Then maybe you should keep playing your shitty Korean Grinders, faggot
Its as repetitive as any of the other Diablo clones on the market, I bet you say the same shit about Diablo 2

There aren't that many diablo clones that have more skills user, PoE is the only one i can think of off the top of my head, But thats even more of a grindfest and most of the skills are useless, although a lot of the item skills in Grimdawn are also useless unless you make builds about them
I'm glad they also fixed the previous Devotion system

Get out

I loved D2, Torchlight, Torchlight2 Titanquest+addons.
Currently playing PoE.

I can't really put my finger on what's wrong with Grim Dawn, it's just boring for me.

IS NOBODY ELSE ACTUALLY GOING TO ADDRESS THIS FUCKING MONGOLOID SHIT RIGHT HERE?!?

I admit - early game are trash.

I saw people in the reveal thread going nuts over the art and expressing their disappointment that it wasn't wallpaper-sized and no one seemed to be aware of the wonders of waifu2x.

It gets fast when you jack up your movement and attack speed stats.
Pretty late in the game, yeah, but it does happen eventually if you know the first thing about class building.

Other way around for me. Was bored as shit during the first act, then my build/devotions started coming together and it went on to become the first ARPG I finished on all three difficulties.

Who pissed in your corn flakes today

Titanquest+addons.
You mean mods right?
I've played D1,2 and 3, Torchlight 1, Titan Quest with expansion and mods Shitty Dream mastery will always be OP and PoE
and yet my opinion is Grimdawn is essentially a more balanced, more modern (barely) and faster paced Titan quest
I dont nkwo where your getting your shitty opinion from

user, OP has been called a faggot many times and he needs to be bullied more

OP is a faggot. He see Chuthulian and steampunk where none.

how?

Not really. Except oldest skills some of them, like "slam hammer on the ground" or "hit enemy harder than usual". But they trying to make them useful by adding jewels to effectively make them as additional link for gem.

Well, there are some general references to eldritch horrors and final boss is a vagina.

I know user
But theres is literally no arpg out there that doesnt have useless skills,
except maybe dark messiah, but thats FPS

Coincidence?

Story more copy of Morrowind lore with death gods and their vessels manifest Cair to claim "pure" world without Gods Except witch-gods. I like Victorian style but game need better animations and more enemy. Also developers admit they add more then 1000+ new items and sets in game.

Path of Exile SJW niggers need to go

Trips

u mad? does
UGH
trigger you little man?

Yes faggot

played it for quite a bit but the skills are really fucking boring

I think he was referring to the fact that the term is "lovecraftian".

Dreeg is a creature of infinite eyes that see all and spiked flesh that leaks caustic blood.
Ch'thon's blood was used in the creation of all creatures, exposing him to all the suffering ever felt by them.

They'd fit in Cthulhu mythos beautifully.

Anything that claims to be "lovecraftian" is trash.
Only things that are "lovecraftian" are the works of Lovecraft. Everything not written by him is trash, uninspired fanfiction.

Oh, and any characters that are meant to rip off Lovecraft's work and chuck random apostrophes in their names are the worst of the worst.

Weird shilling (?) Grim Dawn thread?
Sure, why not.

tbh Morrowind is not the first one to do lore like that user

Please user, explain to me how the skills are boring in comparison to skills in other arpgs?
I will admit quite a few of them are uninspired, but it is a diablo clone
PoE tried making skill gems in an attempt to be unique, but the grind for them is absurd, most of the builds are copy pasta and every so often the developer decides to nerf a certain skill, making the character you trained up to full level and farmed gear for ages, almost entirely useless because your passive skills now do not have much use without that skill

On that note, how "toxic" are the PoE developers?
I heard one of them was an sjw a few years back
are they "no fun allowed"?

Except Lovecraft himself wanted his works to go beyond his own mind, so he'd welcome the term with open arms.
Also, "chthonic" is an actual word.

Not that I know of. I know they love the fact they don't have to answer to a publisher the way they had to while developing Titan Quest.
I just like the game, wish my computer wouldn't crash the game every 4 minutes…

Lovecraft wanted people to embrace Cosmicism.
He never really liked the other work people put out, and if you read them you can see a clear misunderstanding of the themes and context.

because its fucking boring, they look like SHIT 90% of the time and they are animated weirdly it also doesn't help how the sound sounds cheap, melee is the worst offender for all of this.
I'll probably try that aether mage next time i play maybe its better

I know but i dont like high fantasy.
Should agree. This is deal breaker. You can only chose appearace and stats grow while only horrendous grind for gems realy build your character. even with GD issues i prefer GD over PoE itemisation and crafting

Yeah, but remember game was underfunded and they make it only with 800k. Also they patch game regularly and have DRM free version.

Relevant.

Don't think he'd retract his permission to let others fuck around with his work just because of the failures of a few.

That's the pic I was referring to, thanks.

Name one writer who did his works justice.

Those people belong on a pyre
But somethings can be lovecraftian user, especially when they talk of old gods and have tons of sexy tentacles
Lovecraftian generally refers to anything that is similar to lovecrafts works, But some faggots out there will actually grab things (including names and characters) from lovecrafts works and shove them in their owns works, labeling it lovecraftian, Those faggots are fanfiction writers, same as the ones that copy his plots

wtf now i hate Lovecraft

How the fuck is your computer crashing on a game using the same engine as Titan quest?
I like Grim Dawn particularly because it doesn't crash my toaster because its using a engine from over a decade ago

The engines from Titan quest, a game over a decade old, It had limitations
On that note, i remember one of the mods ports the masteries from titan quest into Grimdawn almost perfectly they had to speed it up and buff it to compare to the normal Frim Dawn masteries
Anyone here know if PoE has a DRM version?

Lovecraft wasn't some philosophist. He wrote pulp stories because he found it amusing and it paid some of the bills, in an intentionally archaic style that he found funny and filled his works with inside jokes from his pen pals and generally had nothing but praise when people loaned from him. He would be fucking elated that people slam his name around as one of his big concerns was that he couldn't find anything Lovecraft from his own works.

Lovecraft is dead, m8.
I have as much right to judge which works he'd like as you have to judge which works he wouldn't.

I asked around on their official forums and it turns out I have a memory problem. I also have a problem with my computer's RAM or, god forbid, motherboard. Memtest turned up with an error and it's all gone downhill from there. About a month or two later I could barely play any game without it crashing every 5-15 minutes (Darksiders 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Gauntlet, Risk of Rain [freezes, but very rarely], NuCom…), the only games that haven't crashed so far are Binding of Isaac Rebirth, DoW II and Emperor: Battle for Dune.

Now I'm just saving up for a RAM upgrade and praying I won't have to replace the whole motherboard.

You can read from his numerous letters what he liked (which was a lot), not to mention all the editor work he did as his profession.

Thats a fucking nightmare user, You got a friend you can test your RAM with?
Honestly its how i find out whether my computers fucking up or not, swap things like RAM, hard drives and video cards around until it works

I do, but I don't want to hear him babble about the star aligning the universe's vibrations to his lifegoals, organic mountain salts and shoddy PE routines
No. I do have a bunch of computer parts behind my back. Maybe I can construct a tester PC out of them… But it wouldn't be reliable, all apart from GPU of these parts (as well as this very PC) I found at a junkyard in one way or another.

I know that feel user, my Dad was even worse
Over the past 40 years hes kept everything PC related to the point he filled up a shed with them
And not one of those pansy tool sheds, A shed the size of a house
Its pretty good if you break a part of your computer though, hes got a fuckton of spares and due to being a electrician hes got no problem wielding shit together to fix his PC
Its a shame he only plays Diablo 2
ever since it came out
single player
with the same character

Now that's a feel I don't know.
All my father ever does for entertainment is watch shitty sitcoms and soccer. And either laugh like a jackass or yell like drunk at the players.

My dad only ever has it on for the news since comedy died early 90's, otr at least for channels he doesnt have to pay for
Although he does snarl at it a lot, accusing them of all being pricks and liars most of the time hes right

Its fun to play with friends. Why else would I play a dogshit diablo-like game anyway?
Are you fucking retarded?

Grim Dawn has co-op though…

Thanks god he are fired now.

Grim dawn is shit unironically i would rather play diablo 3

Boring combat, lame and repetitive abilities, passive based skill tree, horrible level design, forgettable enemies, laughable voice acting, shit-tier story and story telling and painfully bad loot system.

I loved D2 to death because running around in the world and killing stuff was fun. Why can't other ARPGs understand that there's more to the genre than collecting loot?

Exactly what's happening on my other screen right now, my dude.
Don't see your deal.

Also, you just kicked GD for having "horrible level design" in one line while praising an RNG bland wasteland generator in the other.

Yeah but they use 3rd party servers n shit iirc

Using the skills in Grim Dawn isn't fun. Fighting mobs in Grim Dawn isn't fun. Traversing the terrain and maps in Grim Dawn isn't fun. It's missing that spark that turns a game great.

As far as horrible level design goes: I remember more about the Torchlight 2 levels than I do the Grim Dawn levels even though I only did a single playthrough of Torchlight 2 in late 2012 vs a single playthrough of Grim Dawn less than 2 months ago. Puts things into perspective when both the looks and feel of a game's levels are so bland and boring that I've forgotten about them within 2 months of playing said game.

Wasn't there some clockwork shit or a swamp or something? That's all I remember from TL2.

The big temple with the undead dragon and the elevator/mechanic lava city, too. The only thing I remember from Grim Dawn is that one catacomb type level where you spend hours killing nothing but ghosts. Needless to say that I don't remember because of how great the place was.

It's p2p connected to the host.

What does Torchlight have to do with this?
You built up GD as an example of bad level design and placed it next to Diablo II, a game where level design is non-existent.

Hating GD is fine and all, but I'd appreciate some consistency.

GD have local.

Torchlight is another fairly bad ARPG, hence the comparison.

In any case, there's more to level design than just placing building blocks in order to let the player travel from point A to point B. 2D and 3D games alone have massive differences in how level design is done in terms of travel. But just from an ARPG standpoint, the level design of Grim Dawn is bad because it's both too linear and doesn't reward exploration nearly enough. While there are a few side areas to explore, sometimes with unique bosses to kill, those hidden areas are not numerous or interesting enough or rewarding enough. In D2, side levels usually had unique bosses that dropped extra loot AND had higher chance to drop higher quality loot, had golden chests which were loot pinatas and had a higher concentration of boss packs for even more loot and XP. The procedurally generated maps of D2 also meant that you had to look for what you wanted, but the maps had patterns that players could learn to recognize and thus improve the speed at which they navigated the levels.

Then there's the whole visual element of level design, something which Grim Dawn fails at spectacularly. There's some aether(?) fire here and there, but outside of that the individual levels were very forgettable, like I already mentioned. Nothing sticks out, nothing is awe inspiring, nothing is nightmare inducing. It's just bland and serviceable. The Monastery, the Maggot Lair, the Arcane Sanctuary, Tal Rasha's Tomb, the Flayer Jungle, the spider caves of A3, the Durance of Hate, all of A4 and the A5 ice caves were all visually distinct from each other and other adjacent areas. They were visually remarkable and fit the theme/story of the area.

That entire large paragraph makes it seem like you didn't encounter a single Exalted Stash(the ones with a guaranteed Epic/Legendary item) besides the ones placed near bosses.
Also, you're making it sound like item hunting in D2 consisted of something more than Mephisto/Baal runs.

And I cannot relate to you less on the visual comment. Burrwitch, Warden's Lab, Arkovia, Cronley's Mines, The Undercity, Broken Hills, Smuggler's Pass, Mountain Deeps, the fields around Homestead, Conflagration, Hargate's lab, Eastern Marsh, Pine Barrens, Jagged Waste, Blood Grove, Darkvale, Asterkarn Mountain/Valley, Plains of Strife, Necropolis, Tomb of the Watchers — all are finely distinguished.
Sure, there's Steps of Torment, Bastion of Chaos and Port Valbury, which outright copy the style of the places inhabited by the faction they house, but it sure as hell isn't the whole game.

In all fairness, though, with this number of hours clocked, I might just be seeing things that aren't there and not seeing things that are.

Forgot pic.

Remember when Dungeon Siege was considered mediocre? Now it's fucking brilliant because modern games are just that shit.

Lovecraft wrote more opinionated letters than fiction, m8.

Is there a mod or something to change Grim Dawns Soundtrack? It's incredibly boring and tends to put me to sleep. I think Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile really gimped my tolerance for such music. They all literally bleed together with EXACT SAME INTRUMENTS AND MOTIFES.
What's up with this genre and fucking guitars?

it goes back to a place called Trstram…

Grim Dawn is okay. It doesn't take up much HD space but it's not as good as Titan Quest

Depends on your taste and whether you're playing Titan Quest with mods or not
Because Titan quest without mods is pretty damn slow

u wot m8? even my shitty jam-entry Diablo-clone is saved by the aesthetic alone

Reminder that if you aren't playing this shit with the DAIL mod for 30 different classes, you're are an a faggot. It even has necromancers, you hyperspecific autists.

at least link the mod user

I didnt expect you to actually be serious about 30 classes

nexusmods.com/grimdawn/mods/11/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fgrimdawn%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D11%26preview%3D&pUp=1

that game was underrated imo

boring setting
ugly grainy visuals
boring skills
boring story

You're are an a faggot, certified.

Yeah it's pretty good. Couple of them are a little on the Engrish side for their skill descriptions or lore, but as far as the implementation goes it's nice. It also has a sort of PoE maps-esque game mode included. My only complaints so far are about some shit like craftable legendaries for a health pot and 1000 iron in the rift area, but I can't tell if that's meant to be because of the beta state of that part of the mod and for testing shit or just to expedite the more important 'Make cool builds' aspect of having 30 classes and limited time on this Earth. There's also some minor bugs in the campaign mode, but all easily circumvented in my experience thus far.