Best PC controller

What PC controller should I use?
I've been using the Logitech F310, but it broke, so I am thinking of getting another one instead of just getting the same thing again (it was good, but far from perfect in terms of ergonomics).

Maybe a wireless one would be good, but I have a desktop PC, so there is no Bluetooth and I don't wanna bother buying a bluetooth dongle unless it already comes with the controller (and I am also worried about them often only having AA batteries, I'd rather just charge one). I am also not going to update my OS for the sake of using a controller (I'm on Windows 7) and don't want it to be too expensive (between 50 and 100 bucks at the most).

Logitech was also good for having both Dinput and Xinput, but thinking about it I probably haven't been using Dinput for a long time, so it doesn't matter much, I guess. I want it to be Xinput-compatable with Xbox-like buttons, so that the games properly support and show the buttons out of the box.

Anything that doesn't have that awful type of d-pad, like Dualshock or SNES.

Is this true or a meme?

Dualshock 3.

DS4 or Steam Controller if you don't need analog face buttons.

360 controller breh. Zillions of cheap used ones and knock-off China wireless dongle is like 7 bucks on ebay.

DS4 has issues with Retroarch, and since that's the only time I use a gamepad on my computer it's worthless.
DS3 or DS2 might be better, I dunno

What's the difference between DS3 and 4? Why not 4?
I'd really rather the controller's buttons to be matched with the buttons on-screen (unless Sony is planning to roll out official support for DS3/4 on PC)

Meme. 360-type layout is superior.

That's personal preference. 360 could be the best if it didn't have that fucking shit d-pad.

If you want the letters to match, then you should probably go with a Steam controller or an Xbone controller, or one of those play sega pads Saturn pads.

I'd say the Saturn Pad is the best, but the facts are it probably isn't.
I'd love to get a Dual Shock 4 with 6 facebuttons.

I have no trouble with the DS2 or DS4 d-pads. I haven't used the DS3 enough to have a solid opinion on it. The only downside of the DS4 is that the battery that comes with it is in need of replacement with a higher-capacity battery. Alternately, just keep it plugged in when you can, but you should still replace any internal battery after a few years so it doesn't give Dobson a hard-on.

The Saturn pad is indeed excellent, but almost everything you'd want to use a gamepad with needs analog sticks, and even a Saturn to USB adapter doesn't do anything with the 3D stick's crazy magnetic analog stick.

Also the Switch pro controller is quite good, and works natively with PC.

But it doesn't have the backwards AB/XY like the Sega and Microsoft controllers.

DS4 doesn't have analog buttons, so no Metal Gear or Gran Turismo emulation.

I mean this is one of the reasons I almost love the Duke controller
look at that sexy six face buttons

Does there exist a 360 layout with a non-garbage d-pad?

You can replace the d-pad, but I've not done it myself. Also there was something about a nigger-rigged mod where you put a plastic disc under the d-pad or something.

I use a DS3 for anything analog, and a hori FC4 for everything else. Keyboard and mouse are still king, so it's not like either of these see many miles.

They're comfortable for me, and the analog sticks are supreme dog-nose texture. Could just be my opinion, since I've used them practically all my life

DS3 has analog face buttons, analog d-pad, analog bumpers, along with analog triggers
only really used in MGS 2 and 3, which work well enough in PCSX2 to be worth emulating.
DS4 takes out all that and adds a dumb fucking trackpad in the center, as well as an extremely bright light on the back. It's better than a 360 controller, mostly in terms of d-pad, but that's not saying much.
That's a case-by-case basis, you might be able to mod it in, but in most cases you won't. If it really bothers you that much, use a 360 controller, or put stickers on your face buttons.

It's a great controller, but the convex XYZ buttons always bugged me. The hori FC4 (and similar fightpads) have identically-shaped buttons, which is an improvement in my book. Can't beat the genesis/saturn d-pad, though

Are these (or anything like it) good?

Wii U Pro is amazing.
Switch Pro is good too.

They're good, but the ZR and ZL are kind of lame in my opinion. They're not the kind of buttons I want to use if a game relies on them heavily.

On that specific one, the analog sticks are cramped: pushing right on L and left on R makes them nearly touch. also what said
both these were fixed in the Pro and the Wii U Pro iirc
Something to note about those controllers, the face buttons are spread out like the SNES pad. other 4-button controllers (ps, dreamcast, xbox) have evenly spaced face buttons. This isn't really a problem, at least for me

okay, this is just a dumb thing I noticed a while ago that I've always wanted to talk about but check out the layout of the face buttons for the Japanese Wii pad and the Western pad.

The Western pad's layout goes Down (A), Right (B), Left (X), Up (Y). Meanwhile the Japanese Pad goes Right (A), Down (B), Up (X) and Left (Y).

This actually works with the Playstation controller symbols, as well. Each symbol has a different number of lines, denoting its place in the order: Circle (One Line), Cross (Two Lines), Triangle (Three Lines) and Square (Four lines). Furthermore, it has the same layout as the Japanese Wii controller (Right, Down, Up, Left).

So why do Japanese controllers and Western controllers have different button layouts? Because Japanese people read right-to-left, and Western people read left-to-right, obviously.

And there you have it! Completely useless trivia about video game controllers. Use it to bore people at parties. I apologize for wasting your time.

Is there a PC controller that has a dualshock-style d-pad and 6 button layout that feels more natural when playing PS1 games?

Fuck. I wanted to get something like that, without the handles, but it's true the second pair of triggers look really awkward to use and all I find are wii classic controller clones

I need something without those handles, I asked on the last thread and they recommended me a ds3 i tried my friend's and they just dont feel right.. I like covering all the buttons with my hands an having everything easily to reach but I guess I'll have to get 2nd pic, from the videos I'm watching they seem small enough, although the people on them seem to have really big hands. If I was actually good at electronics not just a failed hobby, I'd just put 2 joysticks on my bootleg snes controller

Well I just discovered my controller is japanese/japanese based so there's that

The MS controller layout is because Sega had ABC/XYZ opposite of Nintendo, and the Xbox was the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast.

So I'm not sure Sega had that configuration because of Western preferences.

all sega controllers read left to right, even the master system

Is this better than using an adapter for OG Saturn controller?

I doubt it. It was just easier to obtain and native USB, but it looks like Play Sega is shut down now, so it might be impossible to order one anymore.

well just fuck me, then

You could also make the argument that the asymetrical arrangement of sticks on the Duke is just because they took the existing arrangement on the Dreamcast controller and added a stick where there was room.

I hate how most controllers either have those play station shapes on the buttons or have the letter positioning inverted. Nintendo has the button positioning right, but they don't make any controllers for PC. I'm not sure if the Switch pro controller is PC compatible or not but fuck that $70 shit.

I just use a wired DS3 with SCP drivers and it works perfectly for my needs.

I've decided to get a wireless Xbox One controller for my PC. I am on Winows 7, though. Will I run into any problems?

DS4
I like using the touch pad to control my pc from afar.

You can use Switch pro on PC AFAIK

it's cheap and it doesn't require any special setup for the most part

it's so cute and retarded, i wanna care for it

whats that supposed to mean bub

this gamepad looks like an autistic girl like it's retared but you also feel pity for it and wanna hug it

so? some games are better with a controller you autismo

(checked)
If a game can't be played with M&K, the developers should be shunned, and the game left to die. Needing a controller led to console ports and "consolization."

'can be played' is not the same as 'most comfortably played with'
go away shitposter

Yeah I love playing racing games with fucking WSAD

Thanks for ruining PC gaming, faggot

Why can't you? Or, use a wheel != a controller

your opinion is objectively retarded

Connects right to Bluetooth and works right out of the box.

you will never see me play a fighting game without a controller or fightstick, a wheel for driving games, and a basic controller for beatem ups like Devil may cry and Dark Souls.
Your opinion is autistic but not completely wrong

How does this work without Xinput?

Go back to playing Xbox, Hitler

Consoles, and controllers, are shit. Period.

Wheel and pedal sucks fam

What's better than DS4Windows?

I'm using 7, got all the Xbox drivers and stuff, yet it just can't seem to cooperate with me. I mapped the inputs to the controller as I wanted to, and loaded up DOOM. When using my DS4's equivalents of the arrow keys, Doomguy started moving in all sorts of weird directions until I somehow managed to clip upwards into the ceiling.

For you, maybe. I crave immersion with gaming, so I want a wheel and pedals for racing. For everything else, just rebind keys. If I can't play a game with M&K, I don't play it. Fuck controllers.

Did you walk on your gf with Chad fucking her tight pussy with a controller, user?

Your mom, then?

DS4. An Xbone S pad is fine too, but DS4 is without a doubt the best right now, since you can map the trackpad to the mouse. It works really well for some non-keyboard games with Steam Controller config.

:^)

Honestly its the worst thing about it. Then again the only thing i can think of that I would this for is acceleration in driving games, and i have a wheel and pedals for that. I use the Wii U USB adapter for Dolphin and a gamecube controller.

Bluetooth, it just works as a peripheral.

Do we really need this thread twice a week?

If you're looking after an all-purpose gamepad just get a Xbox 360, Xbox One S or DS4, whichever you prefer.

It was a big, black, gen1 xboxhueg controller. She fucking loved it too, the slut. How do I know? Because I'm that Chad, and I'm now his step Chad. And I still play some peecee vidya with a controller. And fucks anons mom on the reg. While he just sulks about muh K&M only mustard race mumble mumble. He's a spaz but he's not a bad kid.

If you're playing older (16bit era and below) games on emulators, the pokken tournament controller is great. It runs on a PC right out of the box, and it's basically a beefy SNES controller with modern ergonomics. For everything else I really like the Xbone controller, but only the latest version with Bluetooth. The older ones have shitty shoulder buttons, and the "wired for windows" version comes with the shittiest usb cable I've ever seen.
DS4 is shit imo, that stupid touch pad gets in the way, the battery is shit, too.
PCs have mice you fucking retards.
Yup, for about 6-8 hours. Every other controller on earth plays for days at a time. Fuck off sonyggers.

I've heard good things about the pro pads from Wii U and Switch, too. Switch pad looks very good, I may try one out eventually.

No son, this part
makes you a spaz. Before I had the genesis croissant controller to reach your mom's g spot as well as the xbox gen1 controller in her cooter. I was playing with KB&M on the pc long before you were popped out of her cooch.
Only spazzes go on and on about muh only true platform.

Who the fuck are you trying to impress? You're probably 14 years old, faggot.

Your mom. And it worked too. Which is why I'm your step Chad now.
Now that's about as nonsensical as
Are you sure you're not projecting harder than an IMAX theatre, son.

My Xbox 360 controller from Gamestop is good for non-FPS games. I use KB+M when I actually need to aim.

Is there a good controller with more buttons than the standard dual shock or xbox controller? I'm freshly injured and I can't stand sitting in a position to use a keyboard and mouse for very long, and it's lead me to trying to play a lot of games with a controller that I shouldn't be playing with a controller. Every time I find a controller with lots of buttons, it's such a faggoty contraption.

I feel like I need a standard layout with 2 more face buttons, a hat switch, and a row of buttons to map to F keys.

Try again son. The last physical console I had was the SegaCD, and that xbox gen1 before I sold it. To help pay for your spastic therapy sessions. Typing this from a desktop machine running gahnooo leenox. It even has some non emulated games on it.

Which games?

Works perfectly for me, and all of the DS4fags I've converted into using RA. Tell me what problems you're specifically having, and I bet I can solve them.

The controller for games you really shouldn't be playing with a controller is the Steam controller, but do note that it's only decent in that specific niche, and is shit-tier for games you'd actually want to use a controller with.

lrn2psychokinesis, fags

kys

casual please

I used to use a wired xbox 360 controller until the cat chewed the wire up; now I use a steam controller that I bought on sale. It's actually a decent controller once you get used to it. Only problems I have with it is that the control stick is on the smaller side and the trigger pulls are a bit short for my liking.

Something about it looks like Existenz

Mech Warrior 4 would work better if I had enough buttons to perform non-basic tasks, and if I had a controller suitable for it, it'd be just as good for playing the old Heavy Gear games. Mount & Blade: Warband is in the same boat, and I tried using different controller profiles that I could toggle by holding the triggers on a dual shock, but it was way too clunky.

There are a few other games I've been trying to work out, but the common theme with everything I'm having a problem with is that they're games that I need to sacrifice what buttons I have as shift functions while still needing at least two sticks.

I've considered those little keyboard attachments for controllers, but they look like they'd be shit.

there's no d-pad. it's shit.

She has a halfway decent D-pad, which more than can be said for the original.

We have this thread every fucking week

You're right on all points, but really you could break down every single thread on any generic topic or series in the same manner with equal success.

Shieeet. Yeah those would be tricky. Is your injury affecting your overall posture (ie: back injury) vs your hands?
Nice.
I seen those but haven't tried it myself. Not sure how durable they are.

Im currently using the ps3 controller to play roms in retroarch, you could try that

Kinda late on this but do not ever get a Play Sega gamepad. The build quality on them is super shit and you're better off getting a Saturn controller and a USB adapter.

DS4, or Saturn controller if you need to use a d-pad.

No fucking way that's my controller! I'm playing Dark Souls for the first time,almost beaten it. The triggers are too long.

I'll never understand how people can like those awful asymmetric sticks.

Which cable do you use? my cables break super quick.

Well fuck you, Duke Controller > everything.
It's be even better if it had bumpers.

i had that controller, it was kinda shitty.

I have been using a DS3 and I kinda hate it. Is the DS4 really better and worth it?
My 360 controller feels ok.

try inputmapper

What's with the MEME of this Controller being good?
I bought two, and they both broke within a week or two.
I then got an actual 360 controller, and i've had it for 3 years.
Just save your money, and get an actual none piece of plastic shit.

Asymmetric sticks are better for first/third person shooters where you're never going to touch your dpad except for weapon swapping or some secondary function.

+Better dpad
+Better sticks
+Better ergos
+Better L1/R1
+WAY better triggers
+Larger, now designed for non-manlet hands
-Significantly worse battery life
That said, if you're currently happy with your 360 controller, just use it until it breaks.

Poorfags with no frame of reference, or anons who only use them to play Souls games so the controllers get

Should I go with the 360 controller or XB1?

Is cost a factor, and have you actually tried an XB1 controller before?

I like the XB1 better because the bumpers on the 360 controller are awkward.

I think you have your controllers confused. The 360's shoulder buttons are the same as pretty much every other controller in existence. For the Xbone, they made this really weirdly shaped buttons that actually hinge in the corner, that are also big as fuck so you can't hold it in the typical style of your fingers resting between the should button and the trigger, you actually have to contort your finger and loop it over the corner of the button, hence the awkward shape and hinge.