Star Wars: Episode IX Will Go In “Unexpected Directions”

When the credits rolled on The Force Awakens, and Lucasfilm began shifting its resources over to Rogue One, no one – not even the man himself – expected J.J. Abrams to return to the Star Wars franchise. Not that we’re complaining.

This is, after all, the same guy who resurrected a dormant giant in 2015, and though The Force Awakens played things safe with its numerous callbacks to A New Hope – the dogged Resistance, the trench run, the spherical planet killer…you name it – Star Wars: Episode IX lends Abrams the chance to toy with expectations. And according to Domhnall Gleeson at least, that’s exactly what he may do.

Speaking to Radio Times in a recent interview, the actor, who plays General Hux in the franchise, teased that Abrams may be going in some “unexpected” directions with the film.

“What was brilliant [about The Last Jedi] was that it was unexpected. And I’ve got a feeling that what J.J. does may also be unexpected.”

While that’s exciting to hear, The Last Jedi also took the story and several characters in some very unexpected directions, and fan backlash was pretty strong. With that in mind, it’ll be interesting to see just how bold J.J. goes with Episode IX. He’s said in the past that the divisive reaction to Rian Johnson’s film won’t impact his work at all, but we imagine that the director may think twice about, say, killing off a beloved character.

Attached: kyloren.png (288x288, 105.13K)

Translation: We realize it all was shit so far, so we're throwing it out with a random (((twist))) and try to salvage the disaster of a franchise.
Everybody dies.

but any reasonable person expects it to go right into the trash

How did JJ do it?

Attached: tumblr_o4ij61D1O81v2q0c9o10_400.gif (268x165, 1.89M)

I swear to fuck if this doesn't mean Darth Jar Jar the franchise is FINISHED.

Jew Jew and the Mouse return in the Kinofather part 3.

They said the same shit for the last two movies despite being the most predictable garbage in the series. For fucks sake, 8's subtitle was "THE LAST JEDI" and people think Luke dying was a twist?

"And I will not be The Last Jedi"

Who is left? There’s no reason to care about anyone. Everything from the OT that we invested in died a shriveled old shitty version of itself.

Kylo, Rey, Finn, Poe…who cares if any of them die? Even if all four of them die the movie will probably still suck.

Chewbacca

Eh. It’d be a mercy for the poor bastard.

TLJ was so bad that I won't even pirate the last flick in the trilogy. It's such a shame we won't get one last kino from George, I was really looking forward to his sequel trilogy before he sold everything to (((Disney))). It would have been fresh yet building on the old, neckbeards would have hated it but it would've been amazing. An older but not subverted Luke, a hot evil twilek, a new Skywalker that we'd get to follow. Tbh I'd settle for a comic adaption of George's planned sequel trilogy drawn by a competent artist such as Juan Giménez or maybe Doug Chiang.

The George kino Saga does have closure with VI but I think George's sequel trilogy could have made the story even grander.

Attached: 1-9e90fPwkx3EJhE-1Moqu7w-1.jpg (750x468 130.33 KB, 59.06K)

The twist was Snoke dying, because nobody thought anyone could be retarded enough to kill the big bad halfway through the trilogy.

Darth Jar Jar is the only thing that could save this. Or the First Order being revealed as the Techno Union the whole time. Or Dexter Jettster returning to get the whole gang to chill out and get high on deathsticks with him.

This is almost a given, cheap death that people will care extra about because "it's Chewie :("

Can it really be considered a twist if people forgot about it before the movie even ended?

Yeah, all of his friends are dead and he's stuck as the manservant of some asshole girl who apparently owns the Falcon now.

I think canon actually says some new Trade Federation runs the galaxy and the Republic and First Order are tiny unimportant factions.

So it will actually try and be good?

Unexpected directions? Let me guess, that's codeword for EVEN MORE DIVERSITY.

Sad Wars is dead to me.

Too hard. Just have a drunken Lando show up as a sad echo of himself and get killed.

They actually wanted Lando to be the safe cracker who betrayed Finn and Rose.

Attached: frog and toad.jpeg (356x334, 64.17K)

So Luke didn't even die for the fate of the galaxy? He died to stop some nobodies nobody gives a shit about? Wow.

*rubs hands*
Remember the six million neimoidian leaders on Mustafar.

Attached: daultaydofine.jpg (395x435, 47.29K)

God I know they'd never do it, but that's the only ending that could redeem this shitshow.

It gets better, because the entire Resistance was destroyed anyway. All the pilots died on those rickety ships and all the soldiers died defending the gate. There were only a handful of people in the base and they all fit into the Falcon. And Leia dies offscreen.

Luke died for absolutely no reason, since they could have just found the exit and escaped.

I wonder if they’re going to do time travel where Rey will ‘reset’ everything.

They finally introduced time travel to Star Wars, Jay, and here's why that's a good thing.

Attached: F2ZoElFRTznGeA8tQtbFWKzJZEyFOv9G3mB1GWZ3t3k.jpg (418x420, 26.54K)

*record scratch*
Yup, that's me. I bet you're wondering how I ended up like this. Well it all started with the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise…

Attached: darthjarjar.jpeg (750x422, 194.31K)

What can he even do? Rian stomped all his mystery boxes, the entire old crew is gone and he's stuck with a nigger, a spic and a cumpresser with zero charisma and no likeable character in sight. Hux is a joke, Ben Swolo is still not villain material. How do you even make a movie with this starring point?

Attached: 9669eabe7366e4005bbbe1a1a409872ad4c757446c8f40ac9cbf80f86598e07b.png (1024x911, 736.16K)

*starting

Yousa in big doodoo now.

Attached: 014621800b92ea3db62391fc614a5e11_L.jpg (715x402, 95.41K)

It wouldn't be a first or probably even third for JJ.

they're going to re-canonize the EU through time travel

screencap this

we'll meet revan, starkiller, kyle katarn and all the rest throughout the movie

Three words, to make everyone’s skin crawl:

Infinity Gauntlet Tie-in

They'll just make offhanded mentions towards knockoffs like they've been doing.

jan oors
jyn erso

I still can't believe it

Attached: d63.jpeg (600x909, 29.79K)

Would they have the temerity? The balls? Maybe if Ready Player Soy does well enough…

>Everbody dies (even luke and han after they resurrect him)
There's only one man brave enough to actually do that at nucasfilm…

Attached: rian-johnson-interview-tall-A.jpg (1536x864, 295.64K)

I picture a vague reference, with Snoke kneeling towards a shadowy figure with a gemmed gauntlet.

It's going to be time travel, thanks to the shitty SW Rebels series.

Elaborate.

Main character goes to an ancient Jedi temple that's filled with quotes from movies that haven't happened yet. He looks through a portal into the past and sees the director's waifu fighting Darth Vader, so reaches in and yanks her into the future to save her from being killed.

Wtf? That is literally the opposite reason people hated TLJ. TLJ sucked because it took its characters in NO directions at all. They killed off two characters for little to no reason, I suppose you can call that "taking them in unexpected directions" but not really. "Direction" implies story and instead of doing that they just cut ties, bam, brick wall, over for those characters. But neither of the characters that died were even important to the last movie so its not even like that "direction" was unexpected, because there were no expectations, just… nothing. All the other characters are like exactly where they were at the end of TFA.

Attached: 1446061613269.jpg (295x333, 31.31K)

Yep, Ashoka gets to live because of time travel plot twist while Kanan remains dead.

Why is this allowed? Filoni is just jerking off over his OC fanfiction waifu instead of making good star wars cartoons.

On a serious note

Episode IV 7/10
Episode V 7/10
Episode VI 6/10
Episode I 5/10
Episode II 6/10
Episode III 9/10
Episode VII 6/10
Episode VIII 8/10
Rogue One 3/10

Nobody cares.

How have the meatbags been conditioned into this line of thinking so easily?

I don't believe it, the Mouse is shameless enough but its internal politics are so retarded that Marvel is dissolving into three fiefdoms that all hate each other. Trying to get that sort of collaboration between its subsidiaries is probably impossible for its current leadership.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (2560x1920, 9.68M)

Subverting the audience's expectation. That has its place in a subtle postmodern sense, but what these hacks are calling TLJ's subversion is the equivalent of ordering a steak at a restaurant and getting a boiled duck fetus. That IS unexpected, but it is also insulting and offensive, and no one is going to eat that shit except retarded chinks.

And to top it all off, the waiter calls you a kissless virgin faggot who is afraid of ducks for not appreciating and eating the duck abortion.

And our OT heroes completely failed after defeating the Empire. The failed professionally and personally. Are we expected to believe that after our new heroes defect the First Order that they are better qualified to bring a lasting peace to the galaxy? After 7 and 8 we have every reason to believe that they are even less capable. So how can 9 end in any satisfactory, hopeful way?

The only thing to hope for is that the First Order prevails and is becomes slightly better than the Empire at policing the galaxy. But who cares anyway? Episode 10 would be great if 30 years later chaos reigned supreme and the opening scene was R2D2 ripping C3P0 apart for spare parts.

We already know they are less competent than the Empire.

Do you really think people don't find you an obnoxious idiot when you're behaving like an idiot, do you think anyone here really needs someone like you?

So basically, he's gonna rip off EVA and tang everyone into somekind of Force soup.

Darth Jar Jar was literally a reddit theory meant to ‘save’ the prequels. Most posting of it is ironic.

George's last good movie was American Graffiti. Star Wars was shit and only made watchable through editing and his ex-wife's efforts. George and kino really do not belong in the same sentence, especially talking about the prequels.

lol

Wasn't it pretty much confirmed by Jar Jar's actor?

He said something along the lines of “people finally figured it out after all these years lol” which autists at reddit took for confirmation that Jar Jar was Plagueis and not him just fucking around with them. The same people confidently posted that Snoke was Jar Jar.

I think it was Lucas' original intent that Jar Jar was at least a Sith. The Jar Jar animators were taking direction from Lucas. After everyone shit on Jar Jar, Lucas changed his mind. It wouldn't be the first time Lucas changed the story based on what the fans wanted. He didn't kill Han in ESB because he thought no one wanted to buy to doll of the dead guy.

Then the only reason to go see ep9 is if a giant black hole kills everyone slowly. 90s minutes of everyone being ripped apart by gravity. I might actually pay to see that.

That's what most people don't get. Narrative subversion is a fine art that can enhance a story, or completely ruin it. TLJ not only ruined the movie, but poisoned Star Wars as a whole with its misguided attempts at subversion.

The biggest issue, though, is that there is no clear hook for Episode IX. The big bad is dead, replaced by petulant manchild and a ginger clown. How are either of these two failures supposed to feel threatening? I almost wish Disney was brazen enough to introduce Starkiller Base II.

check'd and kek'd

I thought at first JJ just hated pre established series as much as any director would it gets in the way of "The Vision!", but then I remember this is the same fucker who was responsible for lost fans. Lost fans became so notorious that even normal fags would constantly denounce them/shit on them when they could. I think he hated his fan, and this is all therapy for him. I remember stories where apparently during panels at convention he would get salty at peoples questions and why it "didn't make sense" and his responses where "did you not notice how the camera focused on the key card for 5 seconds." "The polar bear didn't come out of now where, did you already forget about all those cages." Basically spelling it out for them. This is all clearly the longest con though, what ever the case.

Attached: pop cancer.jpg (1600x633 98.07 KB, 139.55K)

Someone fucking screencap this.
This is what Jar Jar Abrams will do

Or, you know, he's the usual Hollywood hack that got his job thanks to Jewish nepotism.

Episode IV 8.5/10

Episode V 9/10

Episode VI 8/10

Episode I 5/10

Episode II 4/10

Episode III 7.5/10

Episode VII 2/10

Episode VIII 1/10

Rogue One 3/10

Ftfy

>Obi Wan didn't die in ANH, he just time-travelled to save Rei's boipucci in the future not in time to save luke tho lel

Attached: images (1).jpeg (380x387, 32.76K)

Well yes, that too, but it can be both.

The only good thing about that movie was the Teräs Käsi.

Well at the best least, you still aren't allowed to go back in time, only reaching your hand in and pull someone forward. So it basically just function as a teleportation hax, or "cheating".

Attached: darths1600.jpg (600x800 227.48 KB, 216.68K)

quick add more british people

Attached: eternal anglo.png (1125x746, 708.19K)

They team up and end up fucking a rancor in a spicy comedy sex romp .

In the next movie they should just abandon the plot and characters entirely and just have Chewie, C3-P0, and R2-D2 join up with Lando the fly ass space nigga and go on a rolicking good adventure to find one of Sheev's old cloning facilities and resurrect Han and Luke. Hell maybe Yoda and Anakin too. In the process they accidentally revive Sheev too. Fun ensues.

Attached: unspecified.jpg (602x483 355.25 KB, 445.18K)

The funniest thing about Lost is how they hyped up the finally for months and then everyone completely stopped talking about the show within a week.

Robot Chicken already did it.

Attached: Shit Lord.gif (320x180, 1.05M)

That’s also oddly part of the reddit theory; Lucas allowed the episode to reveal his true plans or some shit.

Probably because everyone guessed the ending since the second episode, but remember its not "THE Purgatory" so it doesn't count.
>JJ forever haunted for not subverting expectations.

lol kill you'reselfe xD

She will travel back in time and redeem Anakin herself.
Not even joking and you are free to screencap this post.

They'll go full Korra and have her absorb everyone's force ghost or some shit to hype up a big fight that never actually happens.

Don't tell Mikestein that though!

Korra had good tits. Also, a brown tomboy waifu with a little muscle on her never hurts. Sadly, everything else about the show is garbage.

She will send The Force back in time so no mysogynists can ever use it again

Good goy heh

t. Redditor desperate to shit on George

At least you didn't try to pretend Kathleen was the secret genius behind Star Wars, that'd have backfired spectacularly.

Attached: george-lucas-1.jpg (1584x2000, 750.55K)

fuck consequences amirite

I'd be surprised if it were any good. That would be an unexpected direction.

Nobody really expects a movie to belly flop and then drown pathetically but star wars is like that kid who will do it just for the attention.

So yeah I believe what they're saying.

Attached: 1490560801905.jpg (800x575, 51.29K)

Oh dear god, they really are going to do a marvel star wars crossover aren't they.

they'll probably just rip off one the games or books that are no longer canon

Attached: 98613257985791324234.jpg (480x480, 57.34K)

Marvel's done this before with Star Trek, so a Star Wars collaboration isn't out of the question

Attached: 913249578132421347778.jpg (525x800 810.5 KB, 79.51K)

some say that line felt stilted but I got the chills

Star Wars is going to be the half of the universe Thanos is going to snuff out.

Holy fuck, it's going to be absolute dog shit, isn't it?

Why is this hack allowed to keep making movies?

I was willing to give cloverfield lane a try, but that was a disappointment. And then he did the "take random script, add monster at the end" thing to this paradox movie, like what the fuck.
It's so embarrassing.

They look a lot of notes with the Darth Caedus books too. Wouldn't be just great is Rey ended up being Abeloth, aka, dark side's Satan.

Some are more equal then others.

Because he's the son of a Jewish producer.

Calling it now: the big twist will be C L O V E R F I E L D

Ep 9 will be called Rey of Light

This of the most obvious tweest you could possibly come up with. Now think of the most cliche way to describe this twist in three words or less. That'll be the subtitle.

Stop theorizing, you know it's just going to be a remake of Ep.3 with more niggers and dykes and kikes, nothing new will happen, screencap this post.

Attached: handclasping_jews.jpg (1000x715, 222.68K)