Poochie General

Decided to replay these again for the first time since I was a child.

Who hype for Crash trilogy remake?
Not me.

Other urls found in this thread:

all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/
all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/03/making-crash-bandicoot-part-2/
all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/05/making-crash-bandicoot-part-4/
all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/07/making-crash-bandicoot-part-6/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What a nice thread (not)

Well you could contribute to it with your own opinion but of course you'd have to get that mandatory first snarky post in like a true cuckchan dweller.

You OP is low-effort, why would I bother with a proper reply when you are going to disregard it anyways?

There are other threads for you to post in. Bye.

What a faggy response.

Yet you still managed to outfag it ;^)

3>2>Depression Quest>Battleborn>1

I bet somebody died a lot!

What are you gonna do about it?

I did, the level design is unforgiving as fuck.

Crash 1 is just a lot slower than 2 and 3, which is why I like it probably the least. Also the fact that you can't die to get the gem is annoying, especially so when you add the bonus stages to the mix, with them being the hardest parts of the game.
Had they worked like the no death segments in 2, I'd probably like Crash 1 more than I do.
I still really like Crash though, and I'm really disappointed with the remake from what I've seen.

Become excellent my dude

I don't have enough affinity for the genre to truly git gud, so I prefer my platformers more shitter-friendly like Crash 2/3, Spyro, BK, etc.

Come on user, everyone died a lot on this game some time. There's more to it than that, though. Personally I find most of its soundtrack deprived of the "Crash" feel (except for the main theme, the hog levels and a few more). The lack of analog support is painful as well.

Yeah, a 3D platformer is a derivative and worse version of a 2D platformer.

If you're gonna argue that it's a worse version of a game that's a different genre, at least argue that it's Sonic, since its working title was Sonic's Ass Game.

I like the vehicle levels in 3, but agree that I might have liked the game even more if they were just more standard platforming levels instead.

1 isn't dull, largely due to being hard as balls. Though 3 makes up for it with the Relics being a very difficult challenge.

You don't need the crates in the Bonus Stages to get the gems in Crash 1, though you will need them in the remakes, which I suppose makes up for a little bit of the difficulty lost in allowing you to die and still collect the gem. Also adding Relics to Crash 1 and 2 is nice.

Banjo and to a degree Spyro barely even have platforming in them. Collectathon is not the same as platformer. Some games, though, like Jak & Daxter, do a decent job at mixing the two.

Just shows that you were a babby that didn't play them at the time. Must have grown up with Xbox or some shit, because anyone else would have been using the D-pad. It's not like the Dual Analog was a necessary buy, it was a neat little novelty unless you really wanted to play Ape Escape (which came out years later, after Crash 3). Everyone else would be using the d-pad for all of these games, not just Crash 1.

Who could be behind these posts.

Spyro has tons of platforming, it's just mostly gliding/super-charging rather than short jumps.

3 > 2 > 1

3 is a cornerstone of my childhood, bloated gimmick levels be damned. 2 is just a really good game all around. 1 is probably my favorite from a sheer platforming perspective but fucking Christ is it primitive elsewhere, especially that godawful save system.

Certain parts, much more than Banjo, but a lot less than Crash.

The DKC comparison for Crash is pretty reasonable. They're both focused on challenging gameplay instead of exploration. SM64 pushed platformers into direction of exploration, Crash was a 3D version of what made 2D platformers good. For that matter, Crash doesn't even need the 3D to work. There's whole levels in Crash 1 that pretty much play like a 2D platformer.

I don't see any reason to not play with an analog controller. You may as well be arguing that you should play Doom with just a keyboard "because that's how a lot of people played it back then".

The DKC comparison is no more reasonable than any other 2D platformer. Given that Sonic is the one that is the stated reference, at least go with Sonic. Especially since later 3D Sonic games, when they finally came out, would follow Crash's style instead of trying to copy Mario again. Crash tried to translate 2D platformers into 3D, Mario just did something that was very different even from previous Mario games.

I'm not saying not to play with the analog controller, but that complaining about not using it just reveals you as underaged. The game plays very well with the d-pad, as do all the games in the series, including CTR.

OP reads like a cuckchan refugee.

FAST

I have to try that out

try it on the boulders level, what used to be hard is now easy.

I put Spyro/BK in with SM64 as 3D Platformers. They aren't straight platformers like Crash, but they're still platformers.

Yeah. It is. In DKC, you move right across the screen and in Crash you move up the screen. Changing the axis doesn't make them all that different. Had Crash been a more open world kind of platformer they'd probably be too different to compare but not when it's so linear and not when a lot of that game is spent side scrolling too.
Boxes instead of barrels, spin instead of roll, jungle theme, "wumpa" fruit instead of bananas, tried to make bouncing off boxes and enemies a viable way to traverse the level, it even has gorillas throwing logs instead of barrels. They wanted to be the DKC of the playstation. They failed.
It lacks the flow of DKC, the style is decent but it's not on DKC's level, both have shit boss fights but the DKC boss fights are slightly better, and no Crash game is even close to as good as DKC.

Crash 1 is hard as balls but that doesn't make it good. It's just a slog.

DKC sucks my dude, it's not even a good SNES platformer. It was entirely style over substance and sold on graphics alone. Fucking Nintendrones I swear.

Git gud, faget. You can traverse the levels of DKC at Sanic speed. Just takes more skill than "hold right to go fast" like in Sanic.

I've never played played the games, and your descriptions of them tell me absolutely nothing. So, alas, I am still in the dark.

Banjo has practically no platforming in it though.

Crash is no more derivative of DKC than it is of Mario. If anything it's much more derivative of Mario since that's what DKC is derivative of. Or Sonic, since that was the stated inspiration for the game.

You don't throw the barrels in Crash. You just jump or spin them like in Sonic.

Actually it's spin instead of spin, like in Sonic.

Like Sonic, where you are fighting a mad scientist who is invading a tropical island.

Or coins, or rings. Every platformer has their own "coins."

Once again, like every other platformer.

Your best argument is that a single enemy references Donkey Kong, one of the most influential video game enemies ever. It also uses him as an enemy, so it's just regular Donkey Kong stuff (AKA a Mario game), not Donkey Kong Country.

Yeah, they were the Mario or Sonic of the Playstation. DK64 tried to be the DKC of the N64 and failed, instead just burning everyone out on collectathons.

Get good.

Says the guy who says Crash lacks flow.

It's basically 3D Sonic, especially by the third game where time trials really encourage you to learn to do the levels quickly.

Spyro 1 maybe, I know it had a few blind/puzzle jumps, but 2 and 3 were just collectathons with minigames. Sly 1 is the best Sly game for the same reason.

Crash 1 absolutely does not have the physics nor the exploration that the 2D Sonic games do. Also, I'm pretty sure that the Naughty Dog dev that wrote the blogs about the making of Crash and the technical wizardry and business decisions that led up the release actually specifically compared Crash to DKC.

Sensing opportunity, we turned to our own favorite genre, the character platform action game (CAG for short). In the 80s and early 90s the best sellers on home systems were dominated by CAGs and their cousins (like “walk to the right and punch” or “walk to the right and shoot”). Top examples were Mario, Sonic, and our personal recent favorite, Donkey Kong Country.

all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

For “Willie” was to be – in our minds – a game that tried to combine the game play of Mario or Donkey Kong Country with the animation and cartoon sensibility of a Looney Tunes or Tex Avery cartoon.

all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/03/making-crash-bandicoot-part-2/

Tagged as: action, Andy Gavin, Character Action Games, Crash Bandicoot, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Donkey Kong Country, game, Gameplay, Games, Jason Rubin, Level design, Protagonist, pt_crash_history, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Video game, Video Games, Way of the Warrior

all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/05/making-crash-bandicoot-part-4/

With Crash we decided to emphasize detailed cartoon visuals and classic Donkey Kong Style gameplay. So we used a camera on rails (albeit branching rails).

all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/07/making-crash-bandicoot-part-6/

Crash 1 much less so than the others (especially 3), but you can see how Sonic Adventure followed what Crash did and just added more speed. Crash was 3D Sonic before there was a proper 3D Sonic.

Note all the other platformer comparisons, which is my point. It's no more DKC than anything. If anything, it's more like the older ones that DKC was emulating, since at least they have the claim of being first. DKC is referenced there as a personal recent favorite, as it is of course a favorite (of pretty much everyone) and was the most recent one. Hell, it was the only one still getting proper entries when Crash was released. Mario did 64 which was very different from what came before, and Sonic was dead.

Wow, you spent all that time typing all that out only to be wrong all along. Sad.

the first game had more of a focus on world building then the secound game which was alot more focused all around and then the third game was made by a different team altogether who thought adding more shit would make it better but fell flat

2 is indeed the objective best out of the lot and twin sanity the objective best out of the newer games

That's funny coming from the nigger that shits on Crash doesn't flow right, I never said that I wasn't good at DKC, I just said that it's a shitty barebones platformer with only fancy graphics and an overrates soundtrack that made it shine. Fuck this hipster contrarian thread and fuck you.