Why was this game the last good sh game?

Why was this game the last good sh game?

You misspelled "least"

It sucked ass, pretty graphics for a Wii game tho.

OP, stop sucking cock. A "reimagining" of the first game that shits all over the original. It was a vain attempt to show the audience how deep the new devs could be that turned out as shallow as the puddles in Downpour.

probably since SH3 or 4.

Are any of the PSP SH games good?

It wasn't 'good' but it wasn't a complete embarrassment to the franchise as a whole. There were some new ideas being tried out for gameplay, so even if the story was exactly the same, so while it had a few mistakes at least they were unique mistakes for a unique game.

Also after that came Downpour and Homecoming.

Homecoming was complete and abysmal trash. Combat focused, bad horror atmosphere, and a horrible plot that failed at some of the most basic aspects of story telling.

Downpour was considerably less bad. In fact I would say that its greatest sin was the unoriginal monster designs and not establishing certain plot elements in hope that there would be a big twist at the end.

If I could think of an analogy. I would imagine three students that had attempted a test. SM and DP had small problems like forgetting to carry the one, but their logic was sound so the teacher would give them a close to passing grade. HC made a little comic in the show your work section about a soldier killing a monster and gets a hard F.

I'd love a silent hill game that's designed more like a Sim where you go around the town as it usually is only to be able to enter the twisted version and see someones dark past under certain conditions.

It was kind of neat, but it had no business being a SH game.

Seconding these posts. Shattered Memories was an alright 6 or 7 (if you're forgiving) game, but it wasn't really a Silent Hill game at all.

Gee I wonder.

Gotta say, people who dislike Shattered Memories are extremely outspoken about it. Can't even admit it's the only decent Western attempt. It doesn't play like the others but it got the horror and sound design correct.

That's because Origins is the only decent Western attempt. It at least tried. Shattered Memories has nothing to do with Silent Hill at all.

Origins is fucking shit.

Because it wasn't Silent Hill
What a novel concept?

Funny joke user.

It wasn't the last good one, it was the last one that wasn't a complete embarrassment. Great flashlight mechanics and an interesting concept wrapped around the SH1 narrative, but predictable pacing and silly encounters kind of dulled its edges a bit. Still, I guess it was alright. I'd rather play any SH up to and including Origins before it, though.

And the other Western attempts even more so.

Least worse then.

My most interesting experience with SM was starting new games trying to game the "psychology" system, but I couldn't nail it down consistently. Ether it was more nuanced than I thought or I was just a twit. I'm sure it's been fully detailed by now and isn't impressive, but at least it wasn't a series of extremely obvious choices of what would affect what.

Origins at least played like a pocket-sized classic SH. You know the old saying, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". Aside from the world switching and (admittedly poorly thought out) weapon mechanics, Origins is effectively a pale imitation of the first 3 games. Just don't talk about its story and honestly it's passable enough.

Homecoming, Origins and Downpour were much worse.

Didn't it also have a really shitty stamina system?

But yes. It's like the first 3 SH games, wrapped up into a single Western-written game, like some kind of mixed slurry. You have the Alessa plotline, you have protagonist denial about traumatic events, you have a Pyramid Head rip-off, so on, so forth.

I don't think any of the american silent hill games are good, I don't even think the room is good. Silent Hill ended at 3 for me.

They all kind of have shitty stamina systems.

The Room is a mixture of sheer brilliance and unapologetically bad game design, and how much one appreciates it depends on how much one is willing to turn a blind eye to its worse aspects. But when it's good, it's fucking GOOD.

Great story, lame gameplay.

Last good one was sh4.
I don't think sh is shit, it's just not silent hill.

Fixed

Shattered memories is interesting due to the psych profile that can change things. Though the fact mazes are just about running through similar looking rooms being chased by homing enemies turned me off from getting it..

The alpha had a different story