New consoles every year

I hate how it seems like a new model of the PS4 or Xbone will be coming out every one or two years now.

Since at least November 2015, probably even 2014, I've been wanting a PS4. My plan has always been to wait for the price to go down to a reasonable amount since there aren't many good games I can't or won't in the future be able to play on the PC. Two examples are Bloodborne and Persona 5.

But then the PS4 Slim came out, followed by the PS4 Pro. Now Microsoft has the Xbox S and Xbox Scorpio. At this point I have no reason to believe Sony won't make a new console model in 2018 or 2019.

The one appeal of consoles was that you had only one model to buy every 4-6 years. You knew that any game that came out for your console was optimized. That won't be the case anymore. With PCs you can upgrade your computer in a piecemeal fashion over the years. You can't do that with a console. You have to buy a new $4-500 console, now every 1-2 years.

Wait for the upgraded Pro Slim

You don't buy a new console when it comes out, you buy a new console when the servers for your old favorite online games and services get shutdown on your old console.

That way you pay budget price for secondhand/bargain bin games, have the "new" console revisions available to you at a lower than launch price, and have a decent idea of what games are shit and what aren't post-hype as well as "enhanced" and "complete" you don't have to buy the fucking season pass for.

No you don't.

"Gamer" brand loyalty is second to none. I remember being younger and getting mad when people used to tell me gaming was for immature people, and now I see they were 100% right. Just about every "gamer" I have ever met has been a mouth-breathing retard. Cult-like devotion to companies that try their hardest to fuck them over, complete lack of self-control, constant bitching for unnecessary nerfs/buffs in multiplayer communities, grown men that watch cartoons well into their twenties, grown men playing kids' games in public without a shred of shame, people who play video games for copious amounts of hours but are completely unable to talk about video games beyond a surface level discussion, smashing controllers, crying about a game being too hard and making up loads of excuses, there is just so many reasons I can't stand "gamers."

I don't call myself a "gamer", because I would be calling myself a mouth-breathing retard. If I'm ever meeting somebody new I just pretend that I don't like video games, because I wouldn't want someone to think I was a mouth-breather, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to meet a "gamer."

/thread

You don't *have* to, but the point is that before you only had to buy one console to have the best hardware for your Sony/MS/Nintendo games, that it"ll be optimized to the specs of your console.

That's not the case anymore. If I wait 1-2 years now for the current-gen console to go down in price it will be an inferior product to the latest variation of the current console. I wanted to get a PS4 last year but then the PS4 Pro became a thing.

I don't have brand loyalty. As a kid I had all 3 home consoles, then as I got older and money became more tight it was just the X360 and PS3. Now I have no current-gen console.

I've personally moved more to the PC over time. JRPGs have been appearing in reasonable amounts on the PC when in the past you needed a Sony (PSX, PS2, PS3) to play any of them.

I played on the Xbox alot for Halo and GoW but I stopped caring about the latter by GoW 3 and Halo became shitty after 343 took over.

You don't have to buy a PS4 pro if you don't want to, all games run perfectly well on their own on the normal PS4, you double nigger

I'm the nigger yet you can't even read.

I can't make this any easier for you Tyrone.

Just wait until the end of the Gen and buy one for pocket money at a second hand shop for the 3 decent games it has.
The only reason why the PS4 is selling well is because its the most shilled and region avaiable normalfag multiplat machine, NeoGaf and Weebtards aside.

I absolutely agree with this, but I mostly blame Gen X retards who were condicioned to be brand loyal retards by the heavy push in Mid Class spending and corporate culture being formed during the 80s.
A shame we still see faggots here do the same, no better than normalfags that can't contain themselves and their primal urges even while being aware that they're being subversed and exploited.

No they don't

This has been a thing since PS1 into PSX
Hell we may even argue the Sega CD

I may have to do that unfortunately, or wait until I crack.

The PS1 had what, the PS1 Slim? The specs themselves for the SNES, PS1, PS2, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and Xbox didn't change, let alone every one or two years. Some minor things like the ports might've but they didn't make changes in performance, let alone drastic ones.

You know what I meant, you argumentative faggot.

You really were projecting when you called me a nigger.

Are you seriously comparing two completely different revisions?
There were no performance or resolution boosts to the OG Playstation only fixes and different more cost savy hardware.
The difference here is that that attempt sold like shit unlike this one which will now become a standart.

Just wait until a crack, then you'll be able to store everything into a single storage unit.

No I don't
Both the PS4 and the Pro run and render games shittily and Sony is kiking their retarded consumers by turning their fucking console into a fucking iPhone

PS2 also received an upgrade. As did PS3. Do you really not see a pattern here?

Not a surprise. Nuff said.

not relevant but I just woke up and I have pretty bad beer brain and im still drunk. Any tips on what to do?

Get drunk again

Gaming in 2017.

One horrible trend I've noticed that ever since at least the 7th generation, any low or mid-tier independent developer that gets popular is bound to use the AAA model of game development: more $ spent on marketing relative to the game, cutting corners, worse and worse DLC practices and less content at launch.

Good job lad, you sure showed me

What a surprise

PS2 got a slimmer model. Not a massive upgrade in performance.

Consoles have taken all the negative aspects of PC gaming and none of the positives.

Yeah. That was kinda one of my points. The one good thing consoles had are now gone. It's not like split screen or system link are a thing on consoles anymore.

Time to make the switch to PC OP, it's easy and cheap and the vast majority of games support private servers meaning you can always play your games even after the publishers pull the plug.

I agree with everything bar your hate of the term "gamer", maybe it's just because I'm and old fart but if you consider gaymen a hobby you are a gamer in my book.

Didn't the PS2 slim also cut out a number of features the original system had?

The one thing that consoles always had going for you is that the games actually worked without needing to hack the system, modify the game, use a third-party app, etc.. However, with the newer systems, this may quickly change.

Since going to 144fps I can't recommend it enough. While I can't feel much difference between 144 and 100 the difference between 60 and 100 is defiantly noticeable.

Is it true games run worse on the PS4 pro than the old model?

The Pro and S didn't improve in any discernable way. They are the mid-generation redesign to cheapen the product and prey upon idiots

It literally bumped the res of some games and gave a res/FPS tradeoff on some others and was enough for cuckchan/NeoFag to start shilling and boasting about it.
The Sony shills at Digital Fountry made like 300 videos about it and the fucking thing is selling more than the Slim while being a shitty product that upscales and doesn't work with all games while setting a precedent and a glimpse of whats to come from this shitty gen even if most people don't realize it, just like DLC and microtansactions before it.

Expect another slightly upgraded PS4 model 2 years down the line.
$ony and Micro$haft going full iPhone and the normalfags and brand loyal retards will eat that shit up.

Nigger are you retarded? The PS2 got a redesign. The PSP got like 5 redesigns. The Nintendo DS got like 5 redesigns. The GBA got like 3 redesigns. The Xbox 360 got like 5 redesigns. The PS3 got like 5 redesigns

This shit isn't new, you're just underage

Stop posting

Can you blame sony for doing this?
These ppl shit all over pc cause they dont wanna upgrade but say this a good idea in the same breath. Cant reason with these peasents.

Yes, yes I can, just like I blame Micro$haft for popularizing DLC and paid online.

welcome to the slow collapse of capitalism

reminder that if you paid for online functionality and DLC. you are the cancer that killed the gaming industry. Dont buy consoles just stick to PCs.

Meh. I bought a Slim in January, well after the Pro was announced. I saw games I wanted and the console was at an attractive price point, that's what I based my decision off of. I don't give a rat's ass about specs, the whole "bleeding edge technology" thing isn't something I'm concerned with when it comes to consoles, especially one that's now over 3 years old. Besides, it's hardly in Sony's best interest to divide their userbase so fuck it. If it's labelled as a PS4 game then it damn well better run on my Slim. If it doesn't run on my Slim, it better not be a PS4 game. It's real simple, and Sony would be wise to keep it that simple.

Don't buy console on release
Actually finish your backlog

There problem solved.

And it did not improve game performance, it was just a smaller, sleeker version.
Again, none of them improved game performance.
Only 2. DSlite, which was just a slimmer version with brighter screens.
And the DSi, which had some exclusive games, but didn't improve normal DS games in any way.
Again, only 2. And neither of them affected game performance.
One was just a tiny version, and the other was slimmer with a backlit screen and clamshell layout.
3. Again, none of which affected game performance in any way.
3. Once again, none improved game performance.

Don't talk shit about Holla Forums

And on the PS2 specifically, it was released way cheaper as well. Redesign and a price cut.

some of these did modify the feature set of consoles. PS4 base is still perfectly viable, you can't think about it like PC components which due to developer incompetence and the general difficulty of optimization on the platform makes 4 year old hardware useless.

Normalfags do that with smart phones, Sony and Microsoft are probably testing the waters to see if they will do the same in regards to consoles.

Consoles becoming PC?

Every PC discussion I've ever seen devolves into endless talk about GPUs and CPUs and SSDs. I don't think it will work for consoles though but what do I know? I just play weebshit. That stuff runs on a potato.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. Ever since the N64 had the expansion pak, I always expected consoles to start introducing upgrades like that.

I thought for sure it was happening when the Xbox 360 started selling a shitty wifi dongle and a better wifi dongle. But it has never come into being. Which I'm thankful for.

upgrades have been a thing for consoles since the 80s. Even earlier wouldn't surprise me. There's also been performance related upgrades on consoles before, things like the PSP, PS1 come to mind.

Buying consoles isn't, or wasn't inherently bad if you have the disposable income.

Some did, though I don't have a list, and I know some of them got patches to make them run better.
Still, developer incompetence is a recurring problem. And most devs are treating the PS4 Pro as an after-thought (as they should), which means that, in practice, you should just get a PS4 Slim.
Unless you have a 4K TV, the Pro isn't worth it.

Given how many nip (and even Western) developers hard code shit to frame-rate, upgrade modules won't do shit unless the game is modified to take advantage of it.

pretty much every developer has some sort of logic tied to framerate. I really can't think of a single exception. Boost mode isn't guaranteed to work in all games, but it does work in a lot of them. Haven't seen any issues yet.

Yeah, several of them fucking removed features that were in at launch, such as backwards compatibility.
Consoles have always had redesigns, but before this gen they were just cost reductions. I remember when we used to solder in modchips into our PSXs on Fridays at an old job, when you'd pop open a new one it just had one little board in it where release PSXes had like five. As technology improved they'd reduce production cost by using modern components.

This is a problem in general, not just consoles.

Devs are so fucking BAD at optimisation and they're all using engines that they don't understand. Just look at Dishonored 2 on PC.

You can generally get a PS4 Slim for $250 with a game or two pretty regularly. Now, I don't know what anons would consider a good price for a console - but personally if I hadn't already received a PS4 as a gift a few years back, I certainly would've bought one now. The library has FINALLY started to come into its own.

I don't see any reason to get a PS4 Pro yet, either. Maybe a few years down the road if my OG PS4 shits itself I might get oneā€¦ but more likely I'd grab an old SKU that can be hacked.

Woah, 3 games

Are you retarded? people shit on 30fps on a console, even though 30fps on a console doesnt look like 30fps on a typical PC setup.
also, 60fps on a console looks smoother than 60fps on a PC unless you have software which monitors the frame smoothing, but just like vsync, it reduces the framerate.
using the same video settings 60fps with poor frame pacing is about as demanding as 30fps with good frame pacing. its seriously that much of a drop.
Go being a fag somewhere else with your shitty consolewar stuff

Why get a Slim when the Pro is a thing? It's better at this point to wait for the PS5 to get a PS4.