Iji receives massive update after seven years

For some reason the Remar felt like updating Iji to 1.7 after seven years. If you don't know what Iji is, it's a freeware metroidvania/action platformer with some RPG elements, a neat reactive story, and a graphical style similar to Amiga games with rotoscoping. Features a kick-ass soundtrack too.
You can download it here:
remar.se/daniel/iji.php

Changes include:

But seriously go play it, it's good

Other urls found in this thread:

mortisghost.tumblr.com/post/147265226396/hello-hello-some-off-related-news-i-openned
remar.se/daniel/ijiguide_trivia.php
remar.se/daniel/iji_textdump.txt
remar.se/daniel/donate.php
remar.se/yuka/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I hope they didn't add anything progressive like OFF and its neutral gender update.

That wasn't an official update, right?

holy shit i fucking loved iji
going to be worth another replay. i recommend it to anyone/everyone

Nope but Mortis Ghost did endorse it on his Tumblr page
mortisghost.tumblr.com/post/147265226396/hello-hello-some-off-related-news-i-openned

time to replay it. I was in the mood to play it again recently but felt i had too many other games to play. Guess i have no excuse now

Now this is nice.

Whylive?

Seriously now?

Please tell me what said update is and make it quick and painless

There are no based devs.

Checked and kek'd.

Holy fucking shit, based Daniel.

The download is called iji2.zip
IDS HABBENING

It's better we never find out.

They already had the lesbian Tasen. Though in your defense, you said "add" rather than "include." (Plus, those two are written decently since both are young and generally stupid).

Here's the things Dan did add, that are important:
>Two alternate endings
>One of which is for Genocidal maniacs, resulting in the Komato alpha striking the planet and allowing the player to see their glorious culture for only a moment in the credits
>The other being a gutpunch "fuck you" to people going for true pacifist endings since sparing Iosa results in her going Asha on Steroids and murdering you before you and Tor can peacefully come to a resolution. I will say that while I felt that, I thought it was very fitting.
>A kill log at the end of Sector X, logging what tomato you've killed and unique death causes (Turret head impact, Compromised Nanofield, Extreme Violence, etc)

Pic related
GLORY TO THE KOMATO

He posted on here, he's pretty based. Main problem you could attribute to him is Automata having Denuvo but that's entirely on Squeenix.

Holy shit, based fucking Daniel. Thanks for the news OP. Time to replay it

I remember that it was stated that all the Tasen in the game Are female because they're not even the last line of defense, but rather the women and children who were forced to take arms in order to survive because 99% of their race was wiped out by the Komato. Pretty much all they're doing is trying to hide so the remainders of the species can go extinct peacefully.

In his No More Sweden 2012 presentation, he actually stated that it's a 50/50 split in terms of characters that actually have dialogue. Krotera was a dude, Yukabacera is a dude, Naotgerai (might?) be a dude, etc.

>gutpunch ending
Does this happen even if you do it on the highest difficulty and save your brother?

A train is coming down the train tracks and can't be stopped in order to save the world. You are tied to the tracks, but you have a remote in your hand that will detour the train through Iosa and General Tor, and besides that, there will be no consequence to the rest of the world regardless of who gets run over in this way. Do you change the track? Will you keep your life at the risk of the true pacifist ending?

I wouldn't.

Also, I've been checking Dan's website for 7 years- for this update.

I got it on Ultimortal against Maximum Charge Tor with a killcount of zero and keeping Dan alive because I thought the Alpha Strike was intended to be a really shitty gutpunch. I was not prepared.
It only happens if you spare Iosa, though, so there's that

So does this remove the part where you spare iosa but someone else kills her instead? I can't remember who it was but I do remember that being how you got a true pacifist ending before.

Nah, you can still recruit Anaksie to kill Iosa for you. Deep Sector's still intact.

Alright good. That would be stupid otherwise.

You can still recruit Ansaksie to kill her for you, but if you have under 270 kills, you can choose to spare her yourself now. It basically makes a new "alternate" pacifist ending.

Does countering with the pulse aura to kill enemies count as pacifist run

Not anymore! as of this version you can no longer kill people by returning their rockets and pretend it wasnt your fault

Oh shit how do I win the boss fight then

Pretty sure if you are doing pacifist right, you can find ways to skip most boss fights.
Remember, robots and turrets are not alive so you cant 'KILL' them

ayy thanks for the tip

Damn, listening to the high quality music tracks he released along with this update really make me remember why I love this game. Music like this doesn't come around often enough.

I really hope this update brings more popularity to this game again.

Can confirm that it works on XP, but it's slow as fuck and can barely handle more than 2 people on the screen at once.
It also eats up cca 550 MB of RAM during gameplay and the promised 200 MB in menus only.

I just hope that's a vm and not a real PC in this day and age man. Good job on the testing though.

To be fair Iji has always ran like shit because it's too much of a game for Game Maker.

I didn't have problems running it on my XP computer back in 2008. Also, it's actually optimized fairly well for a Game Maker game – some devs don't know to deactivate instances when they're too far off-screen, but it's actually done here.

remar.se/daniel/ijiguide_trivia.php

It's the real deal, I keep only the toastiest of toasters for myself.
Killing the svchost.exe process made the game run at an acceptable speed (cca 80%), turning off the music gave it another little boost, but it's a shitty exchange: dope ass musak vs 2 frames per second.

The game used to slow down on my 2005 and 2007 rigs whenever certain weapons were fired or certain screen effects happened(like the cool looking shockwaves or the entirety of the Tor fight).

How? I thought using tripmine is a guaranteed kill and it's impossible to avoid killing Asha because shotgun & resonance detonator are the only guns available on that difficulty up until Tor.

Was this worded the same way in the original version as well?

The tripmine proactively destroys the teleporter when it's used, leaving the Trooper unharmed at point A. Though upon closer inspection, it is Extreme as opposed to Ultimortal difficulty. Whoops.

remar.se/daniel/iji_textdump.txt

Author: Tasen Center of Advertisement
Subject: Buster gun
* My good person, have you ever considered a replacement? Yes, the army may have given you a standard old Machinegun,
mayhap even a Rocket launcher if you were indeed so lucky, but what we have here is something quite different. Why,
it's a Shotgun that fires thrice as fast as the regular flavor! Presenting the Buster gun, the cutting edge of
yesterday's technology at an affordable budget price. This hastily cracked combination of a Shotgun and Machinegun may
not look much for the world, and uses a questionable lot of ammunition, but in the right hands it may just be a life-
saver. We're not really sure. But look on the bright side - you'd rather be stuck in a planetary war with one of these
by your side than a pack of Blits!

Brought to you by Redundant Technologies - Inventing Yesterday Today.
(Redundant Technologies strongly discourages any attempt to crack your Nanogun to produce this Nanoweapon yourself.
Seriously, don't do it. Please.)

FINALLY
I wonder what this could be.
That's interesting, but that kind of casualizes a pacifist run, doesn't it?
I can see that working for the large upgrade rooms.

this reads like a reject reddit post

It's 2 new endings.

Wow rude.

Not really. The new nonlethal weapon modes dont take enemies out of combat permanently, only stuns for a few seconds them or protects you from bullets. And now, reflecting projectiles DOES count as kills. So you are forced to go through the enemies and protect yourself, instead of just reflecting rockets and other explosives and just going "woops, did i do that?" after leaving a room full of enemies that comitted 'suicide'

Oh, I see. That's pretty neat.

Making the game better is not casualization, also

Holy shit truce part in Sector 3 is no longer "prepare your ass if you touch anyone" and pacifist playthrough is less of a suffering now. Also that bullshit tasen trooper in Sector 4 is gone so now there's no need to throw fucking shredder into him with proper timing so you don't score that +1 kill while going full pacifist, I fucking hated that nigger.

Oh. Well, this is going to make things a lot more interesting.

Still more updates than Towns and Battlefield Hardline.

Based Remar, I love this
Linux Support when

The Stun Gun does kinda trivialize things in my opinion. I went through a good portion of Sector X unscathed because I used it to stun everything.

Here's a quick rundown on what each non-lethal weapon does:

The Attack stat modifies the effectiveness of certain traits in each weapon. MPFB Neutralizer's stun time is longer, for example, while the range of the CFIS increases instead.

I thought leddit spacing had an extra, unnecessary break between each line of text; not just alternating between a quote and a response.

I just noticed Iji shoots out a little electricity when you try to hack/read things. That's neat.

>we will never get a sequel

wrong pic

I would personally pay Remar $30, maybe even up to $60 for my experience with 1.6 and 1.7.

finally pacifist runs are actually fun now

aaaand done
Tor fight was still running at only 50% speed, so it was easier than it should have been.
And I could've sword you could reflect rockets with a kick. Took like 5 of them before realizing I was remembering it wrong.

Is that the game where if you take the bed ending your character goes crazy and starts talking to herself but the dialog is 95% completely the same?

Good news, you can donate here: remar.se/daniel/donate.php

HOLY FUCK
Daniel just gave me the best birthday present I could ask for.

Yes. Although Iji is already not quite right in the head from the get go.

Neat, I've been meaning to get around to playing this after seeing a speedrun of the game. Guess I'll start now since I've got nothing to play until Tuesday

Doesn't Dan still hold the WR? He's like the only one I know who ran it.

YES

Lotta birthdays this time of year. What were our parents fucking about in June for?

I was born 3 months early

when did a 2008 FOTM get revived?

fuck right off

Well, there's about five endings now
And that one isn't the worst one anymore

post the gif, fag

anyone else getting an error when they try to start the game? I remember playing this in 2005 and having a blast with it.

Have you tried re-downloading the file?

Yeah, three times. Same error each time.

Shit mang, that sucks.
OS? You're not trying to run this raw on Linux, are you?
If on Windows, have you tried running it with any of the compatibility settings on?

Win10 I know I know but I've tried compatibility with everything from XP and up. Same error each time.

Fuck sakes, what a pain

holy shit, solved it.

If anyone else runs into it, this is an issue with fucking GameMaker not getting along with the Print Spooling service in Windows.

Going into task manager and killing it manually solved the issue.

that's pretty fucking oddly specific. Glad you figured it out though.

I suggest you tweet him about it (I couldn't find an email address) and if you don't have a tweeter account, I can do it for you, if you provide process details.

That's moreso a problem with the GM runtime than Iji, which would be something you'd want to contact YYG about. They abandoned GM7 about a year after Iji released, so good luck getting anything done in that regard.

Print Spooler service and Search Indexer have always disagreed with videogames and me in general. I disable them as soon as I possibly can since the former causes weird errors and the latter eats up all of my computer's resources arbitrarily, and the problems were a thousand times worse on XP. Things to consider.

nah, i'd rather not

what are you using to extract? winzip, winrar or 7zip?

XP rocks, last usable Windows.

I'll be honest, this toaster runs better on Puppy Linux than anything else I've thrown at it (original XP that was preinstalled when I found it, Trisquel, LXLE, Puppy Tahr/XP SP4 now). XP with the unofficial Service Pack runs slower and I can't seem to find a proper compatible browser to watch streams and shit. The one thing it's good for for me anyway is old vidya. And I do mean old, the only thing I've been able to run flawlessly no sound so far is Alien Shooter. I have to reinstall the sound driver after boot-up and every couple of hours when the sound just craps out. Puppy's more of an internet browsing OS - boots up fast, shuts down faster, pretty stable (only 1 freeze so far), user friendly advertised as "grandpa-proof, but limited in usability and is Linux.
I am not telling people to "fall for the linux meme", just saying that this toaster toasts toasts faster on the most lightweight of operating systems with GUI.

His printer process was giving him problems as it turns out.

Does anyone here happen to have a crack for Game Maker 7 Pro? When the source code's released I'm gonna try modding the game, but I don't have GM7.

Also, I've taken to call the Alpha Strike ending the Armageddon ending, because my first thought was to the move from Live a Live. The Armageddon ending in this game hit me pretty hard.

Happy Birthday, bro.

>Watch the entire epilogue
>Spend the whole time hoping she'll get back up
>She didn't get up
>Watch all the way through the credits
>Spend the whole time hoping she shows up
>She didn't show up
delete this

You should know better from a game that's bittersweet at it's best.

tell me you can shoot while crouching now.

Nope.

I like that you can't shoot while crouching. Gives the game a bit of a blackthrone feel.

i know what you mean, and is not that problematic given the game mechanics, but it rubs my autism the wrong way.
seems like i going to get a bad ending by the way everything is going to shit

Sounds like a regular run to me

Nothing you do can help with that.
Save your trip mine for later. Go into a deep place.

Doesn't launch here. It only says a Unexpected error occured.

Would you advise someone playing this for the first time to use the HQ music?

Why not, it won't ruin it for ya.

You have no reason not to use it unless you experience severe performance issues.

Being fair, if you're marketing to a universe with aliens in it, there's no way of knowing if some wacky-dacky plant people on the edge of the universe have like six fucking genders or whatever, so 'person' instead of 'Man/Woman' makes sense in this case.

Yeah I guess, just been on the edge for a while.

Has anyone played this?

But the normal save Dan ending is pretty good all things considered; there's no reason to not expect a good pacifist ending.

I did. It's pretty fun for what it is. There was a few "cool indie game jam" bits of dialogue, but nothing really annoying. It's only like an hour long and it's free so there's no real reason not to try it.

Not much depth but it's fun and decent for a gamejam entry. Cute too

I'll agree that I wasn't expecting a bad pacifist end. Frankly, it left more of a bitter than sweet taste in my mouth, but I don't disagree with having it for a second. The execution of it was absolutely perfect in context, and it showcased the idea that an undertale-style happy ending isn't always the outcome when you let your enemies live – especially those with an ego the size of a solar system and an immeasurable urge to maim via combat drugs.
At the very least, you can say that we got a bittersweet ending here. A rogue soldier got reprimanded by her superiors for going rogue and committing acts of high treason, was forced into armor that was clearly too small for her, and justice prevailed in the end.

I enjoy Dan's writing since it feels like he respects his players enough to attempt shit like this. It feels honest, if that makes any sense.

Even after installing a bunch of different wine applications, I still can't get this thing to run on loonix.

A good chunk of the extra dialogue for the game is there because people figured out ways to break the game and Daniel acknowledged it.
Everybody knows you can skip Asha and get him to commit sucide, but did you know you can enter and exit the area where you fight him several times with him getting progressively more pissed off each time.

The little things like that are what gives the game charm. The Komato Crackers' hideout that has all the secrets in the game listed and a talking annihilator plush, for example

It wouldn't be that boring if at least I could run around.
I walk at a snail pace for crying out loud, seeing the same enemies, getting knocked left and right.
I spared Ioda or what's the guy and then closed the game, it's just plain boring.

I dislike this a lot, the whole pacifism thing being "lol you can't actually play the game".
Can't you do an alternate "non-lethal" mode where enemies simply pass out instead of dying?
Or you know, give me an invisiblity or a distraction gun so I can actually try to crack enemies without a weapon that required me to invest points nobody told me to invest onto until I already was level 22 or something.

The story is boring, the character acts however she wants regardless of your input, the combat is tedious, everyone has rockets and crawl instead of walking.
Oh and last rant: why the fuck would a kick to the chest kill them?
Seriously, how stupid is that, I invested in strength to "knock them down" not to "kill".
See, if you tell me "knock down" as opposed to "kill" then my stupid ass will believe that I am "knocking down", not "killing".
Seriously, this game only need a couple tweaks to make it enjoyable, at least for me.

That's what they just did?

No, they keep getting back up.
I can shoot ten rockets to their faces, they get back up.
I kick a drone head to their face and they die like bitches.
Seriously, they are made of fucking paper, a fucking kick or random can you kick while moving to the chest kills them while a "non-lethal" ROCKET that makes them flying five meters in the air has no effect whatsoever.
What kind of bullshit is that?

That's mostly the case with the Tasen, and Tasen are nothing but baby weaklings. I'm not disagreeing with your critique, mind you – the game is good, but flawed in my opinion.

Hold the Down button, and press CCCZ in sequence to solve at least one of your issues

>CCCZ
CCCCZ. Four times. My bad.

Did you seriously try going pacifist your first playthrough? Seriously? Please don't tell me you're that retarded.

I'm not sorry, either, it was worth it.

She starts to get into it if you keep on killing. A pacifist run is meant more as a bonus playthrough after you've done it the normal way. It's not really meant to be a viable, just as good as the violent way, alternative. The game's an action shooty game, first and foremost.

I know, I've since seen her reactions as you kill more and more shit. I'm all for exterminating xenos, but I would've rather have done the pacifist run and kept her pure than killed everyone and turned her into a monster.

I like the idea of her going berserk mode. The logs are making it kind of hard to rationalize all the murder but in the end Earth got invaded, lots of people died, it's kickass time.

Also, I don't know if it's always been like this or not, but going berserk route also appears to effect early dialouge as well. I mean, I don't remember Iji being this aggresive to Dan first time I played.

Why the hell shouldn't I go pacifist mode?
Fucking guy literally tells me "lol it's fine to kill them" and then again "no seriously kill them it's not weird or anything!" and then AGAIN "ugh you're cool… but seriously you can kill them :^)".
I don't fucking trust tutorial voices, alright?
I never do, I fucking hate them, if a game tells me to go right I go left because surely something must happen if I do the opposite.
Same with this game, 'cept the opposite is boring and if I can't have fun playing the game my own way then that's it for me.
Especially if a game tries to go "oh you killed people, what a monster you are :((((".
In fact, this game reminds me of Dishonored, where the most fun is had going for the bad end instead.

1.6 added some disposition modifiers, namely some in Sector II where Iji gets pissed off at Dan for underestimating her abilities.

There's no reason not to. The thing is that pacifist is filling in a much different way than a standard ending, and as of the last update, a pacifist ending isn't necessarily a good one. Pic related

Are you joking? You're basically comparing Dan to Flowey from Undertale, the latter of which wanted to kill because he was bored. Dan wanted you to kill the Tasen because they completely destroyed the Earth's ecosystem in a surprise attack and killed everyone in the research facility, as well as the majority of the Earth's population. Furthermore, due to their personal nanofields, human weaponry is virtually useless against them. He then spends six whole months living off of vending machine candy bars, slaving away to decipher as much of the alien technology that he can so that a hastily thrown together team of scientists can create a nanofield-powered human to stand against them, to stand against the violent alien invaders that have been killing people with zero mercy, and you're wondering why he's telling you to kill them?

Are you telling me that you thought you were getting faked out because the developer wrote his character realistically?

Assuming "leddit spacing" is even a thing, yes, that's what it means. Not whatever the fuck is saying: that faggot can fuck off back to halfchan.

Holy fuck how retarded are you?

I am not comparing Dan to Flowey but how in the god damn fuck am I supposed to know Dan isn't trying to bait me?
Seriously, I am working for you already, don't push for me to kill people.
If Dan went "So yeah, go talk with their boss, if you don't want to kill them that's fine but try not to die" or some shit like that I might have just murdered the fucks.
The fault is that he made a big deal about it even though it was clear it wasn't necessary, Dan might be a realistic character, doesn't mean it's a character I like.
To explain myself, just because a character is well written doesn't mean it's likeable or trustworthy.

Regardless of all of that though, I didn't feel like I was getting "faked out", simply I felt like the game wanted me to do something… and as a player my one job is not to do whatever the game tells me to do.
My issue isn't even about that anyway, my issue is that the game is simply boring as pacifist, that's all.

I don't wanna say you're a pussy but holy shit.

When your own goddamn brother informs you the world ended, and asks you to kill the creatures responsible for murdering the rest of your family and a large part of your species your first reaction is to think "hmm, I wonder if this guy is trying to fuck me over?"
He's the last thing you have left of your old life, I'm pretty sure most people are going to cling onto that like their life depends on it in a similar situation.

Been playing a lot of EYE, by any chance?

Iji is 190cm tall. She's a big girl.

Some poor writer and game director wannabe that needed the help of Platinum for his franchise to not suck for once.

So you're a rebellious teenager, got it.
But Iji never really does that.

Beat it
great game
i used Weapon number 4 against general Tor because fuck the Reflector

A hack. Square Enix's Suda51. Platinum made his game not suck for once. Le risque developer with ebin humor XD

I generally get more mileage out of the MPFB Devastator than any other weapon in the game. It's a good gun.

Now if you want the challenge, go back to the end of Sector X (your current save is doable) and enter the teleporter to the left of the arsenal room. Enjoy the fight.

I really wish that there a Tasen/Komato endings depending if you only kill one race and not another.

It would be really nice if killing only tasen actually make the game end early as the tasen were genocided and the komato didn't just finish you off out of thanks for killing the tasen.

Because man did the game dev overdid it with making the komato way worse than the tasen and giving the tasen too much sympathy even tho they been alpha striking many planets and your own.

Though they were still painted in the wrong, Yukabacera's blog made a better effort to paint them in the grey area. Plus, it's not hard to make the Komato seem violent and unreasonable when they are a society of violent and unreasonable people.

It is a miracle the Komato haven't Zentraidon'd themselves already

Based as fuck. Brb, replaying.

Are you talking about Asha second fight? because that was easy peasy

The world was fine without SJWs. polite sage for off-topic

It was established that the Komato wouldn't accept that. They wanted to alpha strike the planet to make damn sure every single Tasen was eliminated. The Komato were an example of corporatism and societal indulgence for violence gone extremely out of control. Those few with some sense of morality, like Tor, were stuck with having to go along with the status quo or keep whatever action they took against it extremely secret. It took Iji single-handedly taking out Tor and refusing to finish him off to convince him to stop the alpha strike.

Nono, General Tor at Maximum Charge

Well. I just killed everything.
Go me, I guess.
Fuck.

Dishonored doesn't have a bad ending. It has two endings: one's a retarded happy-do-good fantasy, the other is the expected outcome of such a story.
I've done the "pacifist" route, and it's retarded as fuck. I don't mean the gameplay (very limited options) I mean the ending itself. The plague's still there, your enemies are alive yeah, you can kill them and only them and still get the good ending, blow me, full pacifist or nothing.
How the fuck would a "happy ending" work? It's like they're telling you the rat plague cured itself magically which would be a good addition if they ever bothered expanding on it and didn't have to cut 60% of the game because LOL ZENIMAX.

What you got with the so called "bad ending" was the Pyrrhic victory a story like that would yield: Corvo is a man twice betrayed that murdered in the name of justice. He can't be right in the head either because the Outsider kept fucking with his head and Emily grew up surrounded by misery, betrayers and tragedy. Even after she got older, the rat plague was still there.
She SHOULD become the Iron Lady they made her into, and Corvo SHOULD become the psychopathic murderer that people believe he is.
Anything other than that isn't a good ending, it's dumb ending for bleeding hearts.

Of course, we can now disregard this because Dishonored 2 shat all over the Outsider, Emily and Corvo and the story is shite now. Goddamn.

Don't feel bad. There's maybe one or two aliens, aside from Tor, in the entire game that don't deserve it.

I don't really feel bad. I think it happened the way it should have happened.
Maybe there's a pacifist ending, but like in dishonored, this is the only I see things playing out. They came, they saw, the conquered.
And I made them pay the price for their conquest. Emprah be praised, no Xeno scum will snatch victory from my living hands.

I know you could never talk down Iosa or Asha, but I wish you could at least talk down Tor. Or have some sort of true alliance with the Tasen instead of just being a truce. Or hell, even ally yourself with the Komato and complete the genocide of the Tasen as a bid to save your planet and people from complete extinction. While I really appreciated the choices you do have, I always wished there was a little bit more to it than if you go full murderer, Iji is just a complete hypocrite, and if you go full pacifist you're an angel that can do no wrong. I completely agree with Dan here that murder is a justifiable solution against the Tasen and further the Komato because they're fucking alien invaders from another planet and godamnit they need to get the fuck back off our planet or so help it I'll genocide them both to the end of time if they finish killing off my race. Kindof like how Samus is the bogeyman to the Space Pirates and other things because of similar events with the Chozo.

I guess my point is that I don't really see how Iji could be considered a hypocrite because it's not like she's gone out of her way to approach the T&K with anything else but questions, and then a gun because they're all murdering savages. She just wants them off her fucking planet and leave the humans alone to rebuild. The truce with the Tasen always felt weird to me because I never really got behind the whole

shpiel.

I always felt completely justified in taking justice and revenge out on them. And then the Komato come in and the'yre just straight out morally twisted to a degree where they're not willing to listen to anything because they're fucking insane militarized savages, and the few who aren't try to guilt trip you into thinking Iji is a worse person than she really is.

I'm looking at you, Tor and Iosa

Now don't get me wrong, Iji is a great game, but this is years of reminded frustration coming out now that I'm thinking about the game and it's plot again.

I forgot to weave in but thought about it, It feels like the Tasen are literal niggers that dindu nuffin wrong if you decide to form an alliance with them. It feels like there was a missing step there for me, Iji goes straight from these aliens just killed 95% of the population of earth to Let's all work together to find a brighter future! I guess you could call it naivete, but fuck, I don't know. It just bothers me.

>Tor

Tor speaks to Iji as the commander of an imperialistic fleet that's speaking off the record. He showed to have some feelings for Iosa, be they intimate or merely personal, and you were assumed to have killed her in every route prior to this update. Beyond that, he speaks very plainly – Iji doesn't fully grasp the situation at hand, and he's tired of people misunderstanding.
Big spoiler, also:
The only ending where you don't kill Iosa is the one where she proves to be nothing more than a militarized savage that was using her proximity to Tor as a means to genocide the Tasen mercilessly and alpha strike countless worlds.

He totally does guilt trip you for justifiedly killing the invaders of your home planet. Iosa is an unrepentant psychotic murderer who takes pleasure in murderering. It's not even exclusive to the Tasen at this point because she will just as easily end your life in delight. She's completely fucking crazy, and Tor refuses to see it that way. Iji is not at fault for this. Regardless if you killed her or let Anaksie kill her for you, she needed to be put down because she was a danger to literally everyone. It just so happened that you were to be the one because humans are apparently geniuses at cracking compared to everyone relevant, since you need to crack to take Iosa down.

Iji completely grasps what she needs to know on hand – her world is at peril, most it is already gone, and these freaking aliens just wont leave them the fuck alone. She tried talk before gun just so many times before she gave up (In the murder everything path) with the Tasen, and then the Komato just straight up don't give her any chance until you GET to Tor.

So yes, he fucking guilt trips you for just defending your race and your planet from invaders.

Sounds a lot like what's going on these days from the politically correct crowd actually. Just switch planet to country.

Reposted because spoilers were fucked.

Good shit, it's been a while
So aside from the new ending where being naive actually comes to bite you in the ass, any new interesting story developments?

Tor doesn't guilt-trip you for killing Tasen and Komato. Iosa was something of a confidante to him, and he makes it clear in his Operation: Purge logs that it has had an impact on him. He leaves his feelings out of official reports, but your encounter with him was off-the-record. After the matter of Iosa's death is out of the way, they begin talking about the concept of a handful of leaders not being able to fight against a mob of trillions, and why he was unsuccessful in stopping the war before it got to that point (which Iji accuses him of not doing, which is completely false)

I'll concede to this,
"TOR: You… you think violence will solve everything? You think finding the one `responsible` and killing him would -"
This is the only part where Tor mentions your killcount at all during the final cutscene, and that's more in reference to the fact that she attempted to blast her way to their leader and kill him to solve the problem, but Iji shut him up before he could even finish that sentence and they got back to having a civil discussion discussing about his position as a leader and responsibility to stop the Alpha Strike. Never once during your encounter with him does he guilt you for a natural response to violent invaders, though – just killing Iosa, who he cared about very deeply.

Tor is a good leader. It's a shame Dan Remar has some kind of hateboner for him and doesn't allow him to see the light of day.

The pacifist ending doesn't change much. The Tasen general gets killed by one of his own troops after you fight him, the Komato still wipe out all the Tasen, Iosa gets killed by an assassin who sees her as a giant problem for the Komato (after you disable Iosa's personal shield, of course), and Tor still kills himself after giving the command to cancel the alpha strike. The two major differences are that one Tasen getting out with her girlfriend, and the absence of walls in the ending picture of the rebuilding humans. A pacifist playthrough is seriously just a bonus to approach all the levels in a different way and to see what story changes do happen.

It changes plenty if you spare Iosa as of the last update

I think you're missing my point. When you say:

>This is the only part where Tor mentions your killcount at all during the final cutscene, and that's more in reference to the fact that she attempted to blast her way to their leader and kill him to solve the problem

this is what I'm talking about. It makes no sense he tried to call you out on this because you pretty much had no logical recourse. Pacifism in the face of the genocide of your entire species is an unreasonable idea, so I can't count that as logical. This is why I wish there was some route where you could capture and reason with people instead of killing them. The new pacifistic aresenal is a step in the right direction, but I don't feel like it takes enough of that step to matter, because it remains a gameplay addition and doesnt affect the story at all.

You say Tor is a good leader, and I mostly agree, but I think some of the things going on are just retarded. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I recall that you never really come to a good conclusion to the "you killed my friend" argument because Iji was right in killing Iosa off – her hands or otherwise. It's just reinforced with the new ending.

as for

>they begin talking about the concept of a handful of leaders not being able to fight against a mob of trillions, and why he was unsuccessful in stopping the war before it got to that point (which Iji accuses him of not doing, which is completely false)

I don't really see how this has much to do with what I'm talking about. Tor corrects her assumptions but she doesn't really care either way – it's a minor thing compared to the fact that it already happened anyway.

In the end Tor is still trying to guilt trip you for something completely justified, even if we take your argument into account that he only cares about the fact that Iosa is dead and not the rest of everyone. There are no mincing words here – she needed to die, one way or another.

The only way I can see Iosa not dying are if you never encounter her in the first place in a situation where you're on opposite sides, and that just straight up wouldn't happen unless you could do what I was talking about earlier – just say fuck it and ally yourself with one of the two factions, in this case being Komato in exchange for not finishing the job that the Tasen did or something like that.

My problem is that while I like that there are options, I don't feel like there are realisticly ENOUGH options. There are things that aren't being taken into account just because that would end up probably being a lot more work to implement than Dan Remar would want to bother with, though as he keeps making updates when he said he wouldnt this might still change eventually.

Tl;dr to my entire 3 posts could probably be summed up as

Again, redone because I fucked my spoilers up.

You probably need to configure wine. Did you try it with Winetricks?

If not, just websearch 'Wine GameMaker 1.7'

You only get that dialogue when you go on a murderspree, so you could assume that he's saying it because he believes that you'll kill him when that would change nothing. He's clearly open to the idea of stopping the strike, the only hang being that he'd have to answer to his people and High Command, the larger problem (both figuratively and literally in reference to their numbers and overwhelming power) being the former.

I'll settle for agreeing to disagree, though. Read through Yukabacera's blog if you haven't by the way. It has some stuff that could be considered spoilers, but it was created before the initial release to build hype for the game.
remar.se/yuka/

I don't disagree with that, but I still love everything we've been given. If Dan wants to update it with more in the future, even better.

I also don't disagree to the notion that Iosa deserved to die. Ansaksie knew her shit

It's just that he doesn't acknowledge the only reason she's had to do that is first because the Tasen basically wiped out the world and then later the Komato didn't even give her a chance to say anytthing. That's my only problem with it. I completely understand he can't just wave a magic wand and call off the strike. The only reason he can do that in 2 of the endings is because he stays behind to die after giving the order, so the consequences of his actions don't effect him anyway since he's already going to be dead.

Iji has only ever wanted two things: answers, and to stop any further destruction of the planet. I don't remember if you could before this, but you don't have to shoot Tor at the end with 300+ kills anymore with this update right? I'm glad Dan made that change if that's the case. That solves a lot of my problems with the ending, because you shouldn't get necessarily fucked up the ass just because you ended up killing pretty much everyone. Maybe if Iji had been unrepentantly evil about it, but in this case she was just trying to do her job of making bad things stop happening, making the best of a bad situation, and the Komato didnt want to talk anyway. Granted you CAN talk it out with the Tasen, but they still nuked your entire planet, so fuck the Tasen.

Again, I just like my options. Not bioware's 3 lines + good or evil line to give you good or bad boy points, but realistic options.

Hell yeah, completely agree. As I said in my original post, I love Iji to death. It's why I'm so passionate in my opinions and thought about it. I played it at a time in my life where it really made me think a lot about things, so it was pretty influential in my love of gameplay and story that I have these days. Any new content is completely welcome, and we're lucky to get it.

I'm just a guy who enjoys getting maybe a little too far into morality and logical reasoning, and when a game that does moral choices mostly right I tend to get really invested in it. There aren't enough games or even books or movies these days that explore topics deep enough in my opinion, so I'll take what I can get.

I forgot to mention my reasoning for the part where I say:
because out of context that doesn't quite make sense. What I mean by that is Iji doesn't end up killing everything because that was what she set out to do necessarily (maybe you as a player, but not Iji herself), but because they keep shooting first. Now that she finally finds someone that she can talk to who doesn't necessarily want to end her existance and everyone else's on the planet, I don't think your first instinct would be to kill him out of spite. That just doesnt make sense, because what she's trying to do in the first place is to find someone who can make this all stop. Again most of my issues are fixed if you can just not pull the trigger at the end of the massacre route.

Where was this game all my life? All i've ever been playing since then was IWBTG fangames and thing thing!

>it was on a post that BTFO undertale
Worth it 100%.

I'd forgotten about that since it's been years since my first run. I couldn't believe that shit when I first saw it, but it made perfect sense.

Nigger,the rat plague works with rats,rats feed on corpses on the guards you've killed.
To counteract this,the state hires inexperienced and new recruits to deal with the rat plague and Corvo.Said newbies don't know how to exactly deal with this shit efficiently,so with all the above factors you end up with the rat plague going to high gear with.

The other issue is that the state will also invest rescources more in protection from Corvo rather than dealing with the plague,resulting in further spread of the real issue and everyone getting even more fucked in the long run.

I've been bringing up Iji every chance I can as an example of a game that did a lot of what Undertale gets praised for but better and a heck of a lot earlier yet doesn't get one hundredth of the recognition(except in Korea, Iji has achieved cult status there somehow).

I noticed Iji had a Korean fantranslation on its homepage, that's probably one way of how they were able to enjoy it fully

Funny how two completely different, otherwise unrelated games can be related like this.

A lot of weird stuff gets cult status in Korea, somehow. Turns out a lot of people over there put cool shit at the top of their list of priorities when they play videogames.

Dan Remar is a massive MaSu fan. He's the reason I got into their music to begin with, but the quality of their work started freefalling after Redeemer.

Also, Weenie Mobile is the best ship in JnG

good shit my nigga

It's an official mirror of a fan translation. Said official mirror has 40% more downloads than the actual game. Go figure.

Dude is half the reason I got into MaSu in the first place, the other reason being(you guessed it) Jets'n'Guns, both of which I played at around the same time.

I think Night World is a big step up from Digital Nation and Phantom Shadow, though it still pales in comparison to their early work.

We can talk about how great Hero Core is, too, right?

So long as we don't forget about Hyper Princess Pitch.

Hero Core takes place in the same universe as Iji, though.

For someone who keeps saying how Iji 2 will probably not a thing, he sure does like to tease it a lot.

The problem with an Iji 2 is that it would invalidate most of the endings. A prequel covering the events of Elem Sioz is absolutely possible, but if you wanted something that happens after the events of Iji, you'd need to have it happen on Tadezocora or some other Komato planet. Something that happens after a few hundred years after the incident on Origin would work, since the history could be skewed just enough to overlook the fact that one ending now has Iosa living to become tried for high treason and the unauthorized use of a GEN2 nanoweapon, though you could still have that with some writing bullshit.

That's a problem with a making a sequel to any game with multiple endings though, not just Iji, you just gotta pick one and roll with it.

He could just load your old save and change things based on that, though he'd probably need to pick a "canon" ending for people who for some reason don't have one.

Huh, it's actually pretty good.

It is indeed a problem with all multi-route games, rather than just Iji. Even if you could load your old save, the events from the Origin incident would need to be footnotes, as opposed to something central to the plot. Kinda like the Ciretako/Tasen War logbooks scattered around the game, if you want a comparison.

What the fuck is with the people who can't even fucking spoiler properly? Cuckchanners?

Dan definitely seems aware of this since what little he's shared indicates if Iji 2 were to be a thing it'd be a KoTOR 2 type deal.

Gee, I sure wish I could resize my screen in a way like this or at least to 1152x725 to satisfy my autism.

Jill of the motherfucking Jungle did this with 16 colors. SJWs are so bad at what they do.

Am i just retarded or not upgrading health past 2 or tasen/komato past 3 is essentially fucking you over for when you reach the motherfucking komato sentinel? Because holy shit i can't get past it no matter if i use reflector or the projectile deleter. Playing on Extreme for my first playthrough and everything until this point was piss easy with just the shotgun but GODDAMN the difficulty spiked to a fucking wall.

Tasen weaponry is generally weak, with the exception of the MPFB Devastator. If you can't handle it with the weapons you have, use the stage hazards to do it instead. You won't get your free point of nano if you do it that way, though.

Supercharges don't appear in Extreme though according to the manual anyway and the biggest problem i have is that the boss tends to 2-shot me at random with either the grenade spam+laser cannon combos or when it does a triple aimed MPFB strike in quick succession when i'm badly positioned because i only have 4 hp. It's incredibly hard to know when he's doing the laser cannon instead of the red grenade airburst spam even with the sound cues which leads to quick deaths if you decide to jump to dodge it. I just guess i gotta git gud and get lucky that it doesn't roll those two attack combos too much?

You realize the intended method is to kick it into the electricity on the sides of the arena, right? Killing it guns only is just for a bonus level up.

One of the quirks with Proxima is that it has attack called "Nuke", it has long wind up time, but it is guaranteed to hit you for 5 HP while your max is 4.

They do, Nano Overloads, which are just temporary powerups, do not however
Fuck different markups on other boards man

I know that, it's still tedious as shit to do that because it has a shitload of HP and a truckload of randomized "fuck your shit and die" attacks that either target the entire field or are aimed directly at you, often both at the same time so you end up getting hit no matter what you try to do to dodge it. I'm just wondering if there's a certain pattern i'm missing or something i overlooked when fighting that thing cause not even using reflector+disruptor to delete projectiles help through this bullshit.

It only does the nuke if you don't toss it at the mike pence pads, right? I never let it charge so.
Well shit, i must have misread the manual and mistook the supercharges for that.

Okay, fine, but any resolution bigger than 800x600.

So a game I absolutely love received a massive update after seven years?
It's nice to know that good things still happen in this world.

… except that Iji actually has the player character change based on how you play her like in no other game there is.

Could you link the post?

Except for Undertale. Maybe. Haven't actually played it.

No. Undertale doesn't change the character. It changes the story dialogue, same as iji in the sense of a dichotomy of either genocide or pacifist, but it doesn't change the character in the little details and the character's dialogue, the former because it simply doesn't, and the latter because the MC doesn't talk. We can easily state Iji has more effort because it changes yet another character's dialogue, but undertale is a longer game with more content.

TLDR: yes but the MC doesn't talk so it doesn't change the player character, but it does change the game's dialogue

And what I meanby little details is for instance iji reactions to killing when she has a higher kill count, or the dialogue in key moments depending on kill count or choices made.

Iji also changes the character gameplay wise depending on what stats you invest your points on. You can go kick and become chun-li or you can be a sneaky hacker and hack the turrets. You can be a pacifist and run away from enemies/use non-lethal weapons, or you can go MGR and wreak havoc. Undertale is not as expansive and elaborate like Iji. Undertale is simply either you choose Attack, do the QTE and kill enemies or you Spare them by constantly dodging and selecting the right menu choice. That's it, just two choices.
To give where credit is due every single enemy has a different way to spare them, but yes from a macro perspective its just either attack or spare and that's it, with the latter offering more elaboration but its only 2 gameplay styles compared to Iji 's many ways to tackle the levels and enemies

credit where credit is due*

Thread is gone. As slow as /cow/ can get a several month old post can and will drop off the last page.

pointless idpol in the very first post? wow

Why live?

Of all the people I was hoping to save in the new pacifist path, he was the one. What a shame.

Why are we here
Only to suffer?

Say, how do I get massacre?

A perfect 0 kill pacifist run after recruiting Assassin Ansaksie to kill Iosa for you

Sector Y has another secret.

Oh, boy. Can't wait to have nightmares again.

I understand endorsing it for the other nice setting additions, but it's a damn shame the update maker decided to add that MUH GENDER NEUTRAL shit in there, like seriously who gives a absolute fuck, don't shove that in there too if it doesn't add anything significant and new to the game too

Hopoo

Birthday's also coming up, and like 8 of my friends have birthdays in March/April, so June/July are the months to get it on

but you could shoot while crouching in blackthorne

Crouching in Iji is closer to the cover mechanic in Blackthorne.

I made a mistake

Looks right to me.