Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Thread

ITT: We talk about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and why it is objectively superior to the mainline Pokeyman games.

I've only played up to Explorers of Time but discussion of all PMD games is welcome.

Also I need some suggestions for a post-game team in Red Rescue Team. Who's a good team to field in Red that doesn't have the original leader and partner. (Leader is Cubone, Partner is Chikorita)

Or at least it used to be.
I've yet to see a good game past Explorers of the Sky, right now it's sitting at the bottom of the trash pile with the last few mainline releases

I dunno, I thought Super was pretty good. They changed up a lot of things, and made it a pretty different experience overall, sure, but it was still a solid game with a good story and great music.

The writing was just absolutely cringe tier, while the gameplay was virtually unchanged.
They went from kid's story that anybody can enjoy a-la Pixar, to full on anime for retards.

Might be the localization, don't really know, but damn it's bad.

Super was actually difficult in the tutorial since Nuzleaf kept getting hit with confuse ray and killed me in one hit. Otherwise I fucking hate that the default movement to an ally is pushing which greatly drains belly, and your belly in general doesn't seem to last as long. The "but thou must" with exploring the mines was dumb too and that's where I stopped. It could be fun but it's just not as comfy as Blue Rescue Team was for me. I still can't get into the Explorers games for some reason.

Super wasn't really localized. It's a very budget translation, which in some ways can be worse than a *good* localization.

But yeah the plot was anime as shit even in the original release. But so was Explorers.

Why would you play Space/Time instead of Sky? Spinda's juice bar is really useful.

Pikachu, for Agility and Discharge.
Meowth, for Technician.
I like Sky Peak, actually. You can get good stuff from Sky Gifts, and there are frequent rest stops so you can scour every floor for loot without having to worry about food/PP.
I dunno. Alakazam from Red/Blue was cool I guess.
Explorers of Sky. I haven't played any of the 3DS games yet, and I haven't heard good things about them.
Speed boosts are always the most powerful abilities in roguelikes.
Leader: Masquerain (Sweet Scent+Silver Wind, Ominous Wind, Agility). Destroys every monster house effortlessly.
Teammate: Yanmega (Wing Attack, Air Slash, Bug Bite, U-Turn). The Tinted Lens ability makes up for the AI picking moves at random.

Totodile
Eevee or Fennekin
Any end game dungeon
Don't have any
Explorers of Sky
Feraligatr, Jolteon and Lopunny

This franchise has so much potential, it just need more NPC interaction, guild/base building, more partner dialogue/interaction and better end game content and maybe romance

Monster houses were my favorite parts of dungeons, they actually posed some level of a threat and required lots more planning than the usual 1v1 or 2v1 battles

Best starters Cyndaquil and Totodile
prove me wrong
you can't

It feels like in the 3DS games that any +speed bonuses got nerfed into the ground. Attacking seems to skip straight to the enemy turn even if you have sixtupled your speed and slow only causes you to miss a turn if you move.

Shit taste of incredibly contrarian for the sake of contrarianism.

Not exactly rocket science.

Too poor to afford a 3DS, lad?

The POKEMON Mystery Dungeon games are brain-dead easy. So no, they are not better. They're basterdized MD titles with a Pokémon skin.

Oh, another Gen Z babby whose ADD prevents him from enjoying the complexity of turn-based RPGs. Sad!

I remember playing Red Rescue Team and wondering if they were hinting that your partner was interested in your character. But I can't see them doing seriously doing that in the games.

The Pokemon mainline games are even more braindead easy unless you're playing competitive (which is a different beast entirely), though.

If I recall, all Pokemon in Red/Blue Rescue with the exception of your character, Gardevoir, and Octillery are never explicitly gendered. I believe they did this so that you could pretend that that they are whatever gender you want them to. It wasn't until Time/Darkness that pokemon were gendered again. Given how many "Protag I just want you to know that you are the fucking best thing that ever happened to me" speeches the partner Pokemon gives in this game, I really hope you picked a female partner or a female Protag otherwise shit gets hella gay. First time I played Explorers of Time I picked Pikachud as my partner and dear god the game was implicit as fuck because of that. Really, the partners in PMD games may not want to explicitly romance you, but lord knows they'll fucking verbally fellate you at the drop of a hat. Can't even help them find their fucking lucky charms without them going off with, "You're my best friend in the whole world you know that? I just want you know to know that I literally could not function without you. If you hadn't come around I would've just stood there in Tiny Woods/Beach Cave forever like a fucking jackass. Oh by the way did I mention you're my best friend in the whole wide world?"

Why are Pokemon Mystery Dungeon doujins the best?

Which one's the best?
I've only played Red/Blue Rescue Team, and that was back when PMD only came in Red and Blue.

Chimchar, because infernape is a rape god
Mudkip, for the cancer and blue rescue team nostaliga
None
Dont remember
Blue rescue team, currently played super for a bit, i fucking hate going to school and being treated like a child, thats not fun at all.
It is my starter in the other portion of super where i only chose my starter. Is that part supposed to be mulitplayer?
The farthest i got in a pkmnMd game was right before primal dialga, then i unfortunately got bored the constant dungeons dragging on and on and quit.

nigga where did you get the hd mystery dungeon backgrounds?

And I thought when I was a kid I was decent at videogames.

The combat system and movement needs to be improved and it needs to distance itself a bit from Mystery Dungeon's mechanic and try something more original. If that's done, then yes, it will be far better than the main games in every single way and it will be the biggest guy in Nintendo's pile of pathetic and unwanted small guys (especially since the main games have gone to shit). It needs a more traditional RPG mechanic a la Dragon Quest or something similar.

Fuck me sideways for forgetting to add that.

is this a new fucking meme?