Final Fantasy Tactics

What are some games similar in tone to the first FFT? by that I mean the mix of the cute visuals with the almost GoT levels of dark fantasy happening in the plot.

I love little details like the noise your units make when they die also playing out when someone dies on cutscenes

Guess tactics ogre also counts, since it was made by the same people

The only thing that even comes remotely close to FFT is Tactics Ogre, as you already mentioned.

When it just comes down to cute visuals and dark themes, chrono cross comes to mind.
I mean the game istn all dark it is full of cute and wacky things like a skeleton clown or an alien who is relevant to the main plot.

But at the same time its a game about going to a different timeline where you died and pretty much only terrible things happening to the cast of the original game.
Given, most of the characters lack much of a personality but there are tons of them, which i suppose could be compared to final fantasy tactics.

Either way, these games give me simmilar vibes and i love both of them for their visual design and the dissonance they evoke.

Pirate this right now

SS13 has a cute, jolly presentation/atmosphere and is about awful people doing awful things

tho it's multiplayer and of completely different genre so may not be what you're looking for

Xenogears.

Odin Sphere?

Disgaea fits the bill of cute appearance, dark story. The first one that is, supposedly 2's a bit goofier, number 3 seemed to be fairly well received, from what I remember.
Most of that series has darkness in the background that slowly comes to the forefront as the game progresses. Phantom Brave is another fit for that.
Suikoden as well.
Age of wonders if you like the Heroes of might and magic style game.

Space or Time user?
I usually go with Time.

Bumperido

Time all the way baby. Overdrive + Stasis broken as fuck.

If you're talking games that also have kinda similar gameplay to FFT, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is decent. Not nearly as in depth a character building system as Tactics, but it's not meant to be played the same way either. Lots of pretty cute character models but the story is grim as fuck. On the same token, the original Valkyrie Profile, which is a completely different style of game, but literally one of the most grimdark experiences I've ever played, wrapped in an occasionally cute bow. You only acquire teammates when they die in Midgard and you trap their souls to fight your wars for you. In 90% of the cases, they die in tragedy and sorrow, leaving behind loved ones who get no closure at all.

All true men go Time. Only wannabe kidfuckers ever go Space. Also, I think this game would technically have to be considered a bad one, it's just so disjointed and unpolished and amateurish. But despite it all, it's probably in my top five PSX games ever. It's got infinite charm.

Asellus is mai husbando and you fags can't have her.

user, I want to like you, but you're making it hard.
Good recommend with Valk, those games were sad af.

Asellus isn't a trap, is she?

La Pucelle Tactics.

Joan D'arc

Lurk Moar

No.

I genuinely hate the vita homebrew/cfw scene.

Why is Delita such a massive jew?

I don't think he's a jew, I think he's, got a decent idea of what he needs to do to "fix Ivalice". He fails because his scope is narrowed to the point of just the elitist politics, assuming everyone else around him is just fucking shit up for the sake of it.
If he'd stuck around and talked to Olan or Ramza instead of having a hissy fit every time someone brought up the past he'd have likely ditched his attempt to get the crown in favour of actually improving the land instead of replacing a bunch of scheming nobles with a bunch of different scheming nobles. Not that we really know how everything played out after Olivia shanked him.

Radiant Historia should be right up your alley.

Vagrant Story says otherwise. Delita is remembered as one of the greatest kings Ivalice has ever had.

never played it, I know it has a somewhat loose connection with Ivalice. Is it worth emulating?
I'd be suspicious of the history, especially considering FFT starting off with saying "yeah everything we know is a lie."

does he die after getting stabbed or recover?

The worst feeling of emptiness I ever got from finishing a game was the bad end in Valkyrie Profile the first time I played it. I understood very strongly that I'd fucked up, but wasn't exactly sure how.

OP, I forgot a really good one. A lot of people hated it because it was not at all what anyone was expecting, but I loved this one. Everything looks like Precious Moments characters, but it's basically a grimmer, darker version of Gurren Lagann's story with Dragon-shaped bioweapons standing in for mechs. Also, after the huge slog and desperate, brutal struggle through the game, the ending is amazingly rewarding.

I'm pretty sure he recovers. Can't say the same for Ovelia though.

But in the end, Delita worked his way up from peasant to king, united the warring factions back under one ruler, got out of the way for his buddy to kick Satan's ass, covered that whole shit up deep so he could keep using the church to enforce unity, and overall led to a better ending for more people than might otherwise have occurred.

It's a good game and part of Ivalice setting before it got slapped with the high-fantasy bullshit.

I don't think it's ever explicitly stated, but it's hinted as being very likely he had a full recovery. Then he went on to be best king ever. Pretty infuriating shit.

Yggdra Union has an artstyle that doesn't make you think its plot isn't about a counter-holy crusade. The gameplay's marvelous but it makes completionist suffer.

Very good game, but the difficulty spike is pretty off-putting if you aren't ready for it.

If you like dungeon crawling and exploration, it's well worth a go.

The only other games I know of connected to Ivalice are the gameboy ones, which seemed pretty out there in relation to FFT lorewise, are those the ones you're referring to?
The last FF I played was 9.

FFT, FFTA1/2, FFT12, Vagrant Story. I'm tired so I'm not thinking right, but these are the ones I can recall off the top of my head that have a connection to Ivalice. There's probably more at this point.

Though FFTA's connection with the setting is loose, it introduced certain elements that would make their reappearance in FF12, which is very directly set in Ivalice proper. At this point, it's pretty clear that going forth, the Ivalice setting is going to be a bit more fantastic than it was in FFT. I would describe FFT's Ivalice as mid-fantasy, if such a term existed, and Ivalice thereafter as high-fantasy.

I don't like it. Not one bit.

Revenant Wings too, though that's a spinoff of a spinoff, so how canonical it is I dunno

You've never read a book in your life.

Kingdom Hearts. The Darkness is no joke, whole worlds are destroyed.

Suikoden 2, maybe 1 to a lesser extent.