I'm going to make a WH40k roguelike

I want Holla Forums's input on the features it should have.

Here's the features I have planned so far:

Features I plan to implement once the base game is ready:

It won't have graphics. I can't do those.

Other urls found in this thread:

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Gland_War_Veteran
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

CHAPTER
MASTER

Death to Duke, tbqh

No you won't.

I would suggest starting out without getting too ambitious. A base that can generate a single planet and limits you to the Imperium should be good enough as a testbed for most features.

Just don't go and sperg all over the place putting in features without a clear roadmap.

Make a dating sim instead, OP

You'll never finish it
Hell you probably won't even really start it

You better make the protagonist a guardsman or at least a non-marine or you're a faggot, OP

Good luck.

I'd take a Guardsman though.

Have fun getting bent over a table by Games Workshop's legal team.

This is so trash I don't even mind posting an Undertale image.

good luck. as long as their is cool stuff with different terrain heights effecting line of sight make it work fam.

limit your scope. A singular space hulk, hive city, or planet is going to be better than navigating a shitty galaxy map.

I'd also hold off on vehicles. Space Marines vs Orks is probably as distilled 40k as shit gets.

I'd recommend imitating some 8 bit art style if you can't into graphics.

Good luck, user. Don't let your dreams be dreams. Yesterday you said tomorrow….

This. Too many games have nothing substantive to offer because they're caught up chasing an "open world experience." Congratulations, you have the next No Man's Sky. 40k cities are big enough as is. Look at Space Marine from last gen: it was linear, but it covered a lot of ground and invested into the details of its setting. That's what you need to do. That'll make your world feel like 40k, rather smearing too little butter on too much bread.

Have you ever heard of Chapter Master game user? your just giving an excuse for GeeDubs to C&D your game

First and only advice
Don't make it another motherfucking stone soup clone you subhuman piece of shit

Model it after DoomRL.
Take a look at Unreal World for immersion and making the world feel mysterious and dangerous.
Give it depth. Don't just have the player be a space marine. Do something interesting.

You should use a darknet/distributed git so that you'll be immune to takedowns.

Draw inspiration?
h t t p s : / / e x l c o m . j i m do . c o m /

A 40k dating sim sounds amazing. You have to get sempai to notice you, but there are a billion bad ends.

/thread

Why a rogue-like user? You can do anything and everything with a computer. My suggestion is to follow your heart all but for the rogue-like. Maybe even go the distance and make an 'Imperial Commando' game, in the same mindset as the Star Wars: Republic Commando, where a city has experimental guardsmen. Said guardsman could be the after-effects of the cataclysm in Space Marine, or as a need from the events of Fire Warrior. Sky's the limit and you wanna be a fucking faggot about it.

That takes a lot more time and effort and will be less creative and replayable than a roguelike.

I think user is trying to make 40k xcom?

I'm artistically retarded.

Your first and last mistake was announcing a game based on an existing IP without actually completing it first.

Enjoy your lawsuit.

Theres already a previus case of such a thing happening.
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Gland_War_Veteran

That would be Rad as fuck, i mean, we have chaos gate, but an IG x-com would be cooler.

I don't get you faggots at all. 40k is already derived from so much other shit, that taking inspiration from it to make your own little xcom game shouldn't be an issue provided OP isn't retarded enough to slap WARHAMMER 40,000 on his game.

REMEBER CHAPTER MASTER NIGGER

OP, if you're going to talk about making a game, have something to show first. I understand the ambition, but there's not much to talk about here, unless this is an idea guy thread.

As for your game:
I'm not getting a consistent sense of scale of what you want your game to be. You say you want it to be squad-based with permadeath, so I see XCOM, which can work with the boarding actions, though the scope of the project already seems pretty big for a one man thing.

But then you put up army generation, vehicle combat, air combat, and space combat, and then implement a destructibility system for everything that's already been put in the game. Everything in this paragraph, outside of the destructibility system, sounds out of place for a squad-based game, more like a good RTS.

For my input, just try your hand at an XCOM TRPG first, using Sphess Mariners and Jeanstealer Pyramids on a Sphess Holk, so that you can work out what you want, what art style you want it in, the scale and scope of the combat, and then be able to release something without GW's legal department taking a creamy shit all over you for your efforts.

If you wanted to, go ahead and work on that: the source code is public, and it's a neat little game, but it's buggy, prone to crashing, and has way too many features missing after a C&D order game from GW crippled it.

Why do you need more than there's Emperor's work to be done and it's time to move on? Especially Orks, have you tried counting the beasts?

Only if you consider Eisenhorn tier drivel proper canon.

Here's your pro tip: Don't make a blog. Don't have a contact e-mail. Don't have a website. Post all of the download links on image boards.

If there is a single method of contacting you, you WILL get a cease and desist.

OP, check out Steam Marines if you haven't already. It has the following features that you mention (and is reminiscent of 40K):

When you mention permanent death, what do you mean exactly? That individual squad members can die or that you as a player can loose permanently? Because I don't see a reason for adding a permanent fail state to an 'open sandbox universe'. It's the main flaw in ToME and Caves of Qud.

You don't just combine features you like when making games. You design everything so it supports your abstract vision of what the game is supposed to feel like when played.

doesn't deserve it's own thread. post it in the agdg