Starcraft 2

I caved and bought the trilogy this week, am playing through the WoL campaign on brutal, which seems like a decent enough difficulty.

Am on mission 7 or so, and the game seems quite good. I'm finding it quite hard to distinguish between units though, everything looks quite samey rather than very distinct look/feel of units in the first game.

Anyway, the three campaigns have something like 75 missions, so I'll hopefully get used to it by then! Mission variety seems breddy gud so far.

Starcraft 2 thread (hints/tips about upgrade choices welcome!)

Other urls found in this thread:

staredit.net/topic/14204/
youtube.com/watch?v=wtN-r2lLmCc
wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Bisu_Build
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what?

Because the missions send retarded amounts of units at you use the voidray upgrade that lets it shoot at multiple targets.
Otherwise I have no idea what you find in the campaign. It's meh.

Glorified way of saying 'base game plus two expansion packs'.
I don't mind since the single player missions in this game are fun

What do you find so much fun about the missions? You are playing modded starcraft with units you will never get again.

Well, i'm only about 7 missions in but they seem to be quite diverse and creative. Most RTS campaigns, even warcraft 3, didn't have this amount of variety.

I mean, that's a pretty fucking diverse set of missions. There's no filler so far. Maybe the rest of the game recycles these but I'm quite impressed.

Side missions, upgrade system / mercs / science research for benefits also spice things up a lot vs standard RTS campaigns.

Everyone but Jim and Kerrigan dies, because she is the best at everything ever because da sistahood rite xD and is the ultimate purified corruption that chose to become corrupt again to be the purest who now is the queen of all the corruption she purified and so kerrigan becomes a literal god, turns into a god angel made of fire the side of godzilla and punches an ancient evil to death and then literally fucks jim raynor across the galaxy seeding every life in the cosmos with life from earth.

I just saved you all those hours, but you still bought it dumbass, good job. Dead game with the worst writing Blizzard has put out and thats saying something. You da goy mang.

Wings of Liberty is okay-ish as far as campaign design goes, but not really outstanding (plus, they of course had to make the last scenario a hold-out mission, again. Merry Greetings from Warcraft III).

SPOILERS

As for the story, however - what the fuck were they thinking. Raynor suddenly decides that Kerrigan actually dindu nuffin (who's Fenix anyway, and nevermind she killed billions of people). Mengsk went from a dark schemer to a saturday morning cartoon villain only to be replaced by some blonde walking boipussy, and Raynor is completely obvious as to how exactly Tychus got out of Dominion prisonership in the first place right up until the end. Any political scheming that had marked Starcraft I and especially Brood War has been replaced with blunt black-and-white characters, with the Xel'Naga and Amon being as ridiculous as it gets.

Then there's Heart of the Swarm, where Blizzard outright stated that they cut the length of the singeplayer campaign because "nobody plays it to the end anyway, lol". Cue a metric fuckton of pointless mini-tutorials showing you how to use upgrades for pre-existing units. Again, the story is pure lorerape - Kerrigan merrily lets herself get re-infested after you spent the entirety of WoL trying to get the shit out of the system, and to make things worse, they won't even let you play as the genocidal alien overlord because you have to be the good guys. Also, what the fuck were they thinking with the primal zerg? That is a retcon the size of Manhattan. If the campaign was chiefly based on stuff like that one mission where you have to infest a protoss ship from the inside or one of the latter mission where you make planetfall and kick Terran ass, that Xpac could have been awesome, but nooooo, gotta be the good guys.

And legacy of the void? The ability to pick amongst a few different unit choices (or rather, upgrades) is interesting, and the mission design actually is fairly neat in many places, but again, the fucking story. Sure, kill the Khala, take away the last fucking thing that actually made the Protoss alien and different from humans. Also make sure to kill Zeratul early on so you can properly twist the knife in the heart of oldschool SC fans, introduce two sub-factions that literally no-one asked for (when you instead could have had a continued conflict between Khalai and Dark Templars who still don't really get along), and have everyone join up so they can fight back The Burning Legion the Xel'Naga. Kerrigan suddenly turning full Mary Sue is something I won't even address.

But to Blizzard's defense: If you primarily see the market value of your game in the form of people watching fat Korean autists play it in big tournaments, the singleplayer mode probably is your least concern.

I remember finishing terrain campaign and not bothering further. Saw the HotS Sure some variety is nice, but the meat just didn't feel there.
Running around the map for objectives just gets boring after a while and the hero missions are just that hero missions with poor rpg elements.

So you pretty much only have barracks units so far? Yeah, infantry all looks the same. Wait until you've got, y'know, siege tanks and hellions and shit. Those don't look like marines.

Wings of Liberty was good. The side stuff was well integrated.
HotS was fucking awful. And you'll understand why the series is so hated there.
Legacy of the Void was alright, fun even. Had the best story of them.

Remember when you thought Aldaris had gone insane and your job as a Protoss was to hunt him down and bring him to trial so you burn through your brother Protoss' armies to get to him just so Kerrigan can kill him and advance her own agenda.

There was never a moment even close to that in SC2 which I will never forgive.

Fully upgrade marines and medics
Get the all mercenaries
Destroy the flying nest instead of the nydus network

Queen bitch deserved to die, not be god tbh.

What the fuck with even lower quality on Holla Forums? Now with ASSFAGGOTS and bland balanced RTS

Also

nice

fucking

formatting

OP

For HOTS you must get broodlords, it would make the game much easier

this is artanis, he is good !
this is zeratul, he is good !
this is amon, he is bad !
plz save the universe from the big, bad amon !

cmon, the SC team was never good at making a good story

Destroy fliers, mass siege tanks. Win last mission.

The best part about SC2 story is that if you were to read on wiki how does xel'naga works and Amon story it actually makes perfect sense. Just because novels of this game are apparently made by sane people.
But somehow in SC2 they decided to not give a fuck about motives or how Xelnaga works and just prophecy, keri is good, blabla bla, CHARACTERS010101000. I hate it, it is love story not multi dimensional war against ancient god.

Besides fenix LOTV actually had best story.
Reuniting all remaining protoss in giant crusade against Amon with motherfucking arc battle space ship.
I mean LOTV had barely anything to do with Kerrigan so it was obviously the best, not counting epilogue as LOTV story.

I just want to say nobody here is talking about multiplayer.

so YOU just dont like it ?
or do you have some objective argument to back that shit up ?

You better have fucking used wow gold to get blizz shekels to "buy" it, but if you didn't, you're a fucking retard who supports always online DRM and game designers that killed a community.

And there will never be a 4X Starcraft 2 mod that isn't finished, so OP, you suck major blizzard autist dyke trap dick.

wew

campaign is pretty easy even on brutal, especially in HotS. remember to do all of the side objectives so you don't get completely cucked.

i hope that the weeaboo neets on here get genocided before niggers on the day of the rope

Leave it to Blizzard's writers to turn a gritty sci-fi war into a political melodrama over characters who don't know how to handle power.

Who the fuck talks to the zerg, allies with the zerg and constantly bullshits their way to power via a simple "ok let's do it" ?
Every single character in Starcraft has always been a pathetic Hitler-wannabe making connections and betraying everyone after they no longer need them, because they're assholes. Not because strategical ideas and power.

Might as well call it Star Wars.

3 distinct races allying together should be a bigger deal than russia and american holding hands together.

The few missions in Red Alert's Yuri's revenge when the soviets and allies ally together is actually treated with respect, importance and rarity, there's a fucking mission where you spend 30 minutes protecting the world leaders at the Pentagon discussing the terms and conditions.

While in Starcraft it's a simple geekish forced one-liner "Hey you're weak, I'm weak too. Lol let's ally together for no reason to take down our enemy, lol."

That honor would go to MOBAs.

yeah they shouldn't have added the "select all units" in HotS. it made the game more braindead. i don't see the problem with more workers at the start, especially if you're gonna worker rush :^)

Let me guess, you've been here All Year right?

People only played Starcraft 1 for the UMS anyway.

UMS/custom mapmaker here. I miss good Blizzard games for mapmaking. SC2 had a great editor, but their arcade system is utter shit. Lots of good mapmakers left because of the popularity system and "lol fuck you mapmakers, l2advertise". The straw that broke the camel's back was when they forced a guy to rename his map because they were making a shitty 2-player version of a campaign mission with the same name (Left 2 Die).

So, thank Blizzard for robbing you gentlemen of your free entertainment.

I enjoyed Wings of Liberty a lot.
Liked the diversity of missions, how each planet was different from the other.

I guess I suck at this because it took me a lot of tries to beat the last mission in HARD, I only got 5 o 6 missions in BRUTAL.

Anyway,
- You can't buy all the upgrades, so use the cash in the units & stuff you're actually using.
- You will develop all the science techs but you must choose a branch. Most people choose the big Hercules ship, automated vespene, slow zerg and that thing that allows you to recruit two advanced units at the same time.
- Just choose planets in the order that will give you useful units the sooner. You might want to priorize getting the Tank and the Vikings.
- If you didn't collect all the optional objectives you can retry in the mission console. All your scores are collected and you can retroactively collect the points from old rushed missions.
- The Protoss "Memories" missions are completely optional but will give you tons of science points. I recommend to do them all immediatly.
- There's a mission in Korhal. Take your time and explore/destroy everything you can until you find something unique… won't spoil it for you, but you'll know when you unlock "something". WARNING: you can't do this one replaying through the mission console, you only have one try per campaign run.
- I recommend talking to everyone in the Hyperion and spending some time in the Cantina. Wings of Liberty has something special that the other campaigns didn't have. Just listening to those jukebox songs was something else.

The arcade menu isn't the same as it was when it launched, now there's an open games browser so obscure shit has a slightly better chance

They screwd off the map maker base really bad, when they're actually the most scientific map making community next to Half Life.

staredit.net/topic/14204/

Yeah but you barely have models. Every single medieval themed mod has marines or tanks or something to replace medieval units.

I remember the old mapmaker guild wars we used to have, where mapmaking clans fought each other over being the best and most technical mapmakers. Normalfags didn't care, but it was autist heaven. It was almost like pure capitalism without the money. Attention and player base was really our currency. These were great times before the Jews found out video games existed.

That's what made the whole thing funnier, more challenging and creative. Pretending a Ghost unit is a longbow archer, pretending the marine is a ranger, the zealot a swordsman, the zerglings orcs and so on.

>Fun

it was fun tbh

dead game
dead genre
you just wasted your money for nothing, OP
ladder above plat is dead
quit the game a while ago, got tired of playing with the same people over and over again

I've been here since 1st exodus and on halfchan since 2009. Not my fault you complain about video games and don't actually play any.

It was the best story (of the three) because it felt like a political drama. There were many small factions you were interacting with and trying to win over. Wings is good, but it follows Jim and gets really fucking stupid towards the end when he decides to forget a guerilla war campaign against Mengsk so he can try to save Kerrigan. Even his plot about taking down Mengsk is sometimes stupid. Half of the story relies heavily on Mengsk simply not knowing Raynor was doing something somewhere and choosing not to send all of his forces when he finds out where he is, which is what he does at the start of HotS.
The story should have followed Tychus or Matt. Both were more interesting characters.

Who wants to watch some high-level cheese?

Jimmity Raynor wasn't worth following

(Autistic Screeching Intensifies)
God, he's a fucking qt
Imagine what he's like during sex
Unf.

I'd fuck pence too, shit. I'd fuck him hard in front of his wife and kids.

Contain yourself!

That's a losing battle and you know it.

Are you guys aware of this modded campaign?

youtube.com/watch?v=wtN-r2lLmCc

Call a suicide hotline

Any of you guys wanna discuss UMS maps and map making?

Thanks for all the feedback guys. On mission 12ish or so on Brutal. Making sure not to savescum outside the autosaves but there's a good challenge here.

What are the hardest 3 missions in the WoL campaign?

The last mission with the toss when defending everything against the hybrids. It's the hardest mission because it's purposely made to make you lose, there is no victory condition except for the optional objectives.

That's not a hard mission then, if failure isn't a game over state.

Final mission, if you choose wrong, can be tough, but by that point hopefully your skills and troops are enough that you can still do it handily.

You fail it if you don't kill enough things before actually fully losing. The required amount for brutal is nearly twice that of normal.

I like that mission.
You need to use a lot of colossus though.

Kys.

I'm just here waiting for OP to reach HotS so I can see him get angry.

at 1:49 there is a girl behind him
no reaction whatsoever from her, guess this is how he normaly acts

This is something I don't get, actually. When I started playing games $60 was $90 in today money

wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Bisu_Build

A MELEE RTS GAME WHERE IT TAKES 3 MINUTE TO BUILD 1 UNIT. WHEN in Red Alert and any other fast-paced RTS game your units build instantly, all you need is money.

No, that's fucking retarded. Nobody did that in wc3 because you could get models. All the game of thrones modes with vultures for knights and marines for pikemen suck dicks.

What? Red alert games still take time to build units, maybe not as much time but still some time.

What fast paced RTS games have insta unit builds?

The end game of rise of nations does

Specifically, after a researching an endgame tech. But it basically turns the game into "most money wins". Which I suppose is what you're after.

bump

The "expansions" are the campaigns for each race. Imagine Command & Conquer Generals but having to buy the USA, China and GLA campaigns separately for 40-50 bucks each.

That is the absolutely better thing about SC1 over 2. Not atmosphere, not visual style, not balance, it's the fact that both the base game and BW have a campaign for each race

I gotta recover my account from like 4 yrs ago to play this.

did they make RPG maps like in SC1?
I actually beat a call for help once but part 2 is like impossible.
Man that RPG had amateur writing that still beats today's films.