Dominions 4: Op Pretender Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

8ch /domg/ has it's own discord channel now, best used for setting up blitz's and Conquest of Elysium games

discord.gg/QrtP2mr

dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (embed) (embed) (embed)

jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.

larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

For testing battle formations and spells

dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. There is an older version you can pirate however you will not be able to play online or by email games, but it's recommended you get that and try it out before committing to your purchase.

So far

All our games died, we are pretty shitty people. We blitz every once in a while,

As per custom, i'll photoshop a picture to commemorate a battle in Dom

remember to use this as the first image in your post newb.

What is your favourite summoned unit? I like the Morrigan, they're tough for a small unit, sacred, and they life drain AND they have fear AND they have glamour.

Nothing like it at all

Ahh shit, sorry. I was engorged by the octopuss.

As for summon unit, i enjoy the bishop fish. Having a level 3 priest you can summon comes in handy for sacred focus armies.

So, to get some sort of discussion going and shit.

I want to try blood nation out, as most nations i want to play are blood. I know i'm suppose to put tranny hunters in high population centers. Do i then get a commander to patrol during i'm hunting, or after hunting. Also should i find provinces close together so i can rotate. Having one province with the hunting, while the other provinces are being patroled?

I need to know cause i want to play with dem vampires man

Blood hunt and patrol at the same time, that way you don't have to spend mage turns not blood hunting and you get the flavor of soldiers kicking down the door to nab lolis.

This you need to patrol while bloodhunting, that way unrest stays at zero and you don't lose income.

For extra fun play Lanka, you can bloodhunt in turn 2, and start using the corpses killed by your patrols to start making undead.
By turn 6 you can have a large early game army of undead and demons.

When i patrol, do i only need the commander to patrol, or should i have some units attached to him?

You need units, I believe the faster the unit the better at patrolling, also some units have patrolling bonuses, keep an eye for those as many blood nations have them.
Flying units also get a bonus for patrolling AND bloodhunting, which is why MA Abysia can shit out blood.

Cheap units that you can mass produce in a single turn are the best though, the more blood hunters and the more powerful those hunters are, the more you will need to patrol.

user…

BLITZ THIS WEEKEND, IF YOU CANNOT COMMIT THEN YOU CANNOT PLAY FUCK YOU NIGGERS WHO BLITZ LOSE A BATTLE THEN RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE BY QUITTING

FOR NEWCOMERS THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO EARN EXPERIENCE AT THE GAME WHILE IMPROVING YOUR SHITTALKING/BANTZ ABILITY

SO FAR 3 PEOPLE INTERESTED AND COMMITTED.

I was surprised the key I bought for $10 worked. What's the best way to get blood as MA Ermor?

Proably go with growth scales to mitigate the death, so you can blood hunt, but really, this is memey enough to kill yourself.

I think you can also search for blood sites.

Build stone idols or blood hunt on border provinces

4 PEOPLE COMMITTED TO THE BLITZ MAYBE 5 NOW
SCRUBS WELCOME, COME HITHER YOU SCRUBS

why the fuck would you want blood as Ermor?

Some men like fucking granite holes. I let the memes flow

Whoever made this army was probably getting the blood slaves from a throne, but I suppose you could kill off provinces even faster if you wanted to.

HOw the fuck long does it take to get that many undead?

If you spam priests, not very long at all.

Wait, priests summon undead?

If you're MA Ermor or Sceleria.
Though with Ermor you're better off just spam summoning your national priests, since indies will eat up your gold and catch cancerAIDS from your dominion.

I think C'tis priests do as well. At least for some of the eras.

Any nation that gets demon or undead priests can use those to reanimate too, yes.
I think Sceleria and Ermor are the only ones that get reanimate on indies though.

Is it worth going for EA Caelum's national summons? They don't seem to have any viable strategies other than thunderbolt spam and blitzing enemies with your super mobile armies. Problem is those armies are kind of shitty.

More like he got a random soul contract, all he has is 9 Devils. more plausible than blood hunting, since you'll want to take max luck anyway

Undead with holy levels can always create undead, certain factions (lanka, ermor, sceleria) can create undead without needing to be undead themselves.

I haven't played MP yet, in SP whenever I've attacked a castle/fort with vampires I set them to attack rearmost and they pop right in and fuck shit up. Ethereal is also good but they've still got to cover some distance which means getting hit with banish a lot. I haven't played much, is any of that wrong?

Anyone got tips for MA R'lyeh?

For MA rlyeh your mind blast units are the most important, bless isn't need except for maybe reiving for mages.

You won't have too many sacreds that aren't behind flak units mind blasting
Go magic 3 to get reserach and thuam is top tier for spells.

THE MOST SUCCESSFUL BLITZ IS CONTINUING TOMORROW

RECENT EVENTS

We should play on the map next week. Shit looks great

I resent that comment about Fomoria, you're just lucky I had to do shit yesterday or your monkey ass would be busy drowning.

Christmas is cancelled everybody,

You lie, manlet mega satan, to compensate for lake of height and quads of 6.

SEMI SUCCESSFUL BLITZ TODAY, ANOTHER TOMMOROW WITH ALL UW THEME, CAST VOTES IN DISCORD TO DECIDE AGE

or vote hero with tor until you get the age you want

Is there any giant worm you can summon in game? I want to re enact dune.

Blitz in like an hour noobs. If you guys want in, make a pretender.

Theme is UW nations or any one that can go on both land and water.

SPREAD THE WORD

still open?

yeah

The server is now hosted @ 142.160.202.147 port 7272

Rule is Underwater game, EA, Magic enhanced 1.38 or w/e not the most recent one, Visible sites, and worthy heroes 5.6
and better arena

Choose from the following nations to make things easier on yourself as it is water centric, names not quoted are already taken

Oceania
Atlantis
Helheim
Berytos

we start in 20 minutes.

Is this a splatoon thread?

Game starting in 5 minutes

fuck im so close

Where do I send my pretender to get him itg im green af

Im sorry we started awhile ago, could yuou please join the Discord? it's easier to setup games that way, if you join quickly we might restart since we're not even down year 1

Go ahead without me. I can't into discord, my connection can't handle it.

By the way, how do armies interact when one is set to enter a space that an enemy army is leaving? If my army has a higher level of mobility, ie mapmove 2 to their army's mapmove one, can I intercept them befeore they move away?

Fairly certain that since all turns happen simultaneously, you just get the province defense fighting yo ass.

General rules of map move.

Either the two armies meet or they march right past each other.
If they meet, it's a 50/50 chance of being in either province.
If they don't meet, they just fight the pd in their destination.

Remeber kids. Make your enliven statues in a straight line so they can take the blunt of holding the enemy.

Thank you, anons.

And you too!

What kind of game nights do you guys host. I'm an absolute, 100% no clue what I'm doing scrub player. Should I try and get good before playing with the big boys?

Nah but I'll give you some basic pointers.

Test your build for your nation in single player before committing to an email game; your goal should be 15 provinces by the end of year 1 (turn 12) and another fort other than your capital by turn 12-13.

Try to get as close to that as possible, but when it comes to a blitz you don't need to worry about testing as much because the game goes faster; but the basic outline for your progress remains the same.

The 2nd thing you need to keep in mind is your early research goals that most benefit the magic you have, an example; you have lots of Death mages, so getting enchantment 5 for Horde of skeletons is probably a good first milestone, because it will help you survive someone trying to rush your forts, and also allows you to put pressure when invading forts if you're constantly backing up your army with skeles.

Those are the most basic things, consider them as seeds for branching out into the higher paths of this game. Once you learn what each school of magic has to offer, and what spells do; you can basically play any faction.

Make sure to join up on the discord for blitz's though it's easier to get the logistics set up if we're all conversing, that was the original reason we made it in the first place

I wouldn't worry to much about being a scrub. Theres a guy in discord called hog rider. Hes pretty shitty, you will do fine.

What magic spells let me boom boom across the battlefield?

How do I play a necromancer effectively? What empires/ages are best? What units should I focus on? Shade beasts and drauger seem to be good but getting a lot of them eats gems.

For hordes of undead and the most iconic one: Ermor and Lemuria
For controlled necromancy and good units: C'tis
Industrial Undead: LA Agartha

I forgot to add, these are countries with special undead tinkering. I'm pretty sure there is some other robust necromancer factions.

Lizard are necromancers?

Yes, for EA and La, in MA they have aids swamp dominions which diseases anything not cold blooded in it.

C'tis are pretty badass with respect to death magic. In some ages they get nationally exclusive spells for raising and buffing undead through priests. They get other exclusive spells as well, including summon big poison aura toads and a real nice death/water AoE that may require magic stone usage but is very nice. City guards are your bread and butter, and you need gold more than resources. Hell, Sauromancers are 300 gold and 2 resources to buy. C'tis are comfy lizardmen.

Thanks i will try. Realy tired from Mitchlan Necromancy - i dont know what to do after Skeletal army + moonwarriors. Atleast Nature+ Undead bless give me advantage over pure Undead army.

I'm only started understand this game

The best advice i could give you in learning this game, is to understand spells. Usually theres a set group of spells you should know what they do. This will let you play most nations, as they follow the understanding of spells. Just don't worry to much about it, pick a nation you like and go from there.

Also, forgot to say. Don't be afraid to experiment. Jumping in with units is the best way to understand how they work.

For first playthrough i just set bunch of Easy AI and MAX gem sacred places to try all magic path and watch what they do.

God damn i have no idea Blood Wortex can destroy my own province
If Abbysia/Agartha AI is a enemy - here no fun.

Thats one way to fry a chicken.
If you don't mind me asking, what army have you been fucking around with?

Where are all saves located? I change OS and cant find them on old HDD?

umm, go to open directory in dom 4, that should open up a finder window. In the finder window, you should see saves. And you choose one of them.

Is this what you mean?

Can find saves, I started with Mitchlan n9+d9 10dom and 75% research/gold settings (to slow down early rush nations) and proceed build jaguar+moonwarriors. I use necromacy spell what turn every living in to skeletons (have a disease chance if living have a low magic resistance) but moonwarriors have a darkvision and high magic res and can be abused like a "half-dead". Warclubs can be used to destroy lesser undead beings and a be counter to another undead who cast Ethernal Darknes or Burden of Time because my n9 spells can slow down effect in theory of cource. Sure thing i use my nation Undead Hero and bunch of blood summons to feel a gap in army diverse.

Sounds good. You need to put research and gold back up cause in multiplayer, you have to be ready for the early rushers. Maybe think of a good strategy to counter it.

Will you be around later, you should blitz

BLITZ TIME FAGGOTS.

ERA MA

MODS: NOT DECIDED YET, BUT WE CAN HOOK YOU UP

I also have problems with focusing on death magic beyond skeleton horde + one AoE spell that requires gemstones and Terror. The ethereal summons can be great damage soakers, and raising revenants and dropping quills on them is a good way to turbocharge research, beyond that iunno.

YOU SAY THAT BUT NO ONE IS ON TO BLITZ

If you've played multiplayer as MA Ermor, how many other players came at you at once? How'd you fare?

Nigger, it seems like nobody wants to blitz. It sucks bra

No sorry i have a 15 hour work day and cant send turns in time

Everyone gets timid around MA Ermor because fighting them is generally unfun and there is not much of a reward to it unless you want the 15d a turn.

Other than that Ermor is like an old maid you pass between the other players and hope someone else kills them, or puts 'the most effort' into defeating them so they're in a weaker situation than you are, it gets ugly pretty fast and no one likes to fight them.

There is cooperation but it doesn't happen the way you think, and usually this resutls in Ermor getting banned from play.

Lemuria doesnt get banned (often) because it's much weaker but the same thing still applies and it's dominion is slightly less killer.

Bump for Blitz

I don't know brother, i would like to blitz, but shit, nobody is into it.

That sounds pretty metal.
I'm giving mid age Ulm a shot, I'm doing ok but their shit is resource hungry as fuck. I'm dicking around with construction this time around, we will see how it goes.
Before this I was using the Atlantis which didnt seem to bad. I still have no idea about spells and shit though. What are the big players spell wise I should get to know?

MA Ulm's priests give resource bonuses to provinces they are in.
So usually your strat is to make a fort as soon as possible to start churning them out.

If you are MA Ulm there are really only 3 spells you need to know.

Yeah, once I noticed the blacksmiths give a bonus I started to shit them out every turn.
I think steel legion is the spell you are thinking of.

A Horror spawned in a province of mine and killed everyone in it. Wat do?

Additional info: This province had some kind of cult in it. Did the Horror destroy the cult or did the cult summon it? Should I move in to kill it with my pretender god? I'm afraid to go to the next turn.

I've got a similar question - how do I unleash horrors on my enemies? Should I just script Horror Mark?

He just left after one turn. Maybe he just wanted to get rid of that cult for me.

Depends, if its an event it could just disappeared.
If its a dream horror it might continue to pop up.
But if you can't see it, it shouldn't be there.

What army has blood, but its a tiny bit
I don't want to go full blood yet, and it would be good practice in the future

There are a few ways. Horror mark is slightly less direct, and I think if you want to do that sort of thing in battle you should probably be casting astral geyser. The horror mark sound effect is really nice though, so I'd understand if you would rather cast that. Blood offers very direct ways of getting horrors into combat, with both combat spells Call horror/Call lesser horror; as well as ritual spells Send horror/lesser, dream horror, and horror seed.

EA/MA Pangaea, Berytos, Helheim, Vanheim and a whole bunch of others.

there is no such thing as a tiny bit of blood. if you have blood magic, you use blood magic as much as you can because it's that good.

EA Pan is maybe the only one where you can get away without worrying to much about it because your first priority should be mother oak by turn 14. Other than that though you blood hunt, empower, then blood hunt some more.

Blood magic is a way of life, if you have b1 mages, you're a blood nation thats just how it is.

How to use blood in battle? Invigorate and leech?

WHERE BACK BOYS

Also, for new cummers. This friday we'll be having a funeral for a moon priest. Its a good time to network and talk about strats.

We will probably be blitzing that day. Come out, and remeber Jamal at his finest

How to dispel enemy Eyes of the god? I waste around 150-200 astral pearls but this pervert still watching.

Cast Fate of Oedipus. Evo4, needs 4 fire and 75 fire gems

Get a mage to 4F and blast out that fucker's eyes.

Never know about that spell. Thanks.

Its the only direct global counter.
Also its not particularly that bad, astral gems are the most valuable.
Wait until you deal with blood nations casting globals with 999 bloodslaves.

How your strats going user?
You memeing good?

Remeber, dogs are snakes

Dispelling globals is frustratingly one of the most hit and miss thing in Dominions.

Been quiet recently due to my holidays. But I'm back now.

Tell us your most memey strat

Where is all the games? I thought this board was active all the time, now it's dried up faster than a college girls pussy.

when are we gonna get a juicy tierlist for the nations in each age? I need to know how wrong you all are.