>>>/vm/

IRC:
#8/agdg/ on rizon.net

Previously… on /agdg/:

Other urls found in this thread:

drawabox.com/lesson/1
youtube.com/watch?v=tVj0ZTS4WF4
docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SceneManagement.SceneManager.LoadScene.html
docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SceneManagement.SceneManager.UnloadSceneAsync.html
docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SceneManagement.LoadSceneMode.html
dropbox.com/s/9uuboggqvvdvj3y/Rockman X1-3 Genesis Megamix.zip?dl=1
a.cocaine.ninja/hoyfpg.opus
archive.is/5geOh
codeproject.com/Articles/20550/C-Event-Implementation-Fundamentals-Best-Practices
unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/user-interface-ui
docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Object.DontDestroyOnLoad.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_number
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_number
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternion
3dgep.com/understanding-quaternions/#Complex_Numbers
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Let's up the aesthetics a bit

i was about to say you should've included vaporwave mate, 10/10

Things like this are what video games need. Only partially kidding.

'Finished' this today.

Wow, I think the animation is awesome, but the perspective seems a little weird. Am I looking straight on at her or am I looking down on her at 45 degree angle?

TL;DR Are there any actual exercises for game design?

One thing I noticed is that in several practices we have the students practicing some boring, but essential shit before getting the promised mad skills, for example, in martial arts I believe based on personal experience that you spend most of your time repeating specific movements, choreographs or basically punching something repeatedly for a while, after some months or even years you fully develop your hurting skills, analogically in drawing, you have to practice pencil control and study all kinds of references, and by study, I mean repeatedly draw all kinds of anatomies and objects taking into account physics and light sources, I don't draw but I guess it takes a while until you can fully project your waifu decently on a screen.

I can go on forever here:

But I fail too see a equivalent with vydia development, I mean, if somebody asked you how to gitgud at making games, you'll probably would answer "just like make game, fam", but that's the same thing as answering "just draw this landscape over and over again until you gitgud" which probably works, but I wouldn't say that is the most ideal path, you would probably want to start by knowing how to draw trees and mountains first to perfection first.

The closest thing to practice I can consider is basically imitation, reprogramming a simple and ancient game in whatever engine you working with, I mean, if you can't code Pong, you aren't going anywhere, are you?

Also, one thing that I see that got tremendously popular are gamejams, which aren't bad per se, it's really fun and you can warm up a little if you are stiff, but as practice they are absolutely abhorrent, I would say that they are gamedev's equivalent of tracing, you can learn something if you are barely a beginner, but it will not give you the necessary practice to make really GOOD games.

holy shit

It's supposed to be isometric, the first one was worse off.

nice fractal

That's fucking amazing.
Are you going to make pixel art great again?

I think is the same perspective as generic jrpgs

Jack?

also how many frames is this fam? fug i really need to step up my animation skills

observe and create my child, be the water

I can only hope.

Nah

The walk cycle is 10 frames, the total animation is 40 frames because I needed padding for the visor and jacket reflections.

Well fuck, I was gonna post some of my own sprite progress, but now I feel inadequate.

captcha saved me from posting a typo

What I have been doing is attempting to analyze the fundamental aspects of games. For example, consider a race. There is the player and at least one other competitor. The only mechanic available to the player is to "go fast", as in the only thing that player can do to counter another is go faster. Now consider point scoring game. The player has 2 mechanics available to him: he can score more points or prevent his competitors from scoring points. From these bases, we can extrapolate more based on other elements we introduce into our game and can even attempt to make predictions about the effects they will have. Granted, this is something totally new to me and I haven't been able to find much in the way of research done by others in this veign, so I'm still figuring it out.

That's real fuckin' professional.

i must've did something fundamentally wrong, but thanks fam, good job!

fam there's always someone's better than you if you keep looking, just keep posting and have fun

tbh from my own experience its all about implementing feature that you like from a game, i like disgaea wacky humor and sprite quality, so thats what im trying to do.

I'm just fucking around, of course. I had every intention of posting my shit. Seriously though Cyberanon, that's some good shit.

I've got this sprite of my protag, but I don't really like his design. The hair is fine I think, but the outfit looks kind of shitty and I can't seem to find a good colour scheme for it. Might throw a big-ass cloak on him.

ALL THE SUFFERING WANNABE ARTISTS LISTEN UP

drawabox.com/lesson/1

Here's one of the earlier versions. I went through 3 different versions of this front walk from start to finish but I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of by now. Then there's a still image sprite.

Thanks, but I have a lot of weak areas, and I struggle with higher resolution faces which is why I'm working with pixels really. I'd love to do a higher resolution cel shaded trailer or something but I have no earthly idea how I'll pull that off as I have my doubts I have the skill to actually draw it. I'm hoping a year from now all the practice will have helped out and I can manage. Otherwise I'll try to see about hiring a real professional if I can find even find one.

I've been struggling for a couple months getting my animations to look more fluid, and using a lot of tools to help but they don't do the job for you. In the end it's really just animate a shit ton of things every day.

I appreciate hearing that from everyone, to be totally honest I almost didn't post it because when I look at it I worry everyone's going to see that I am totally lost when I am rendering light on surfaces and stuff like that. Also I like your guy's hair, that was one of the toughest things for me to get my head around drawing and I still draw the same strand like 40 times over to get it right sometimes. I think my favorite of those 3 is the left one, a cloak on him could look pretty cool. Also for the hair, what I did was a slight gradient on the hair outline between two shades of blonde. You might try that but it might not work for your style I couldn't say.

That guy's stuff is amazing, I got two of his books and they're part of my collection of artbook bibles.

i won't fall for your trick loomis-kun

What kind of gameplay is it going to have?

There's details that are up in the air like, how much melee/guns will come into play. The shortest answer I could probably give is going to be Deus Ex + Hackersim with hacking inspired but not directly based off games like hacknet/uplink. I'll probably start with an arcade mission mode then add in a campaign afterwards. Combat will be less about you running around shooting everyone, and more about tactical use of the environment to beat them with as many ways around any one problem as I can manage. So while a handful of guys you can probably manage okay, once it gets above that you'll want to look at something like hacking their vision to make them run out of ammo before you clear them out, or at least distract them long enough to thin them out. Maybe hit and run tactics with smoke grenades etc. Enemies with different skill levels such as basic street thugs which fall for easy tricks, and then terrorist/government/criminal operatives that are much less vulnerable to simple tricks. Also difficulty settings that instead of giving enemies more health probably make hacking easier/harder. 'Automatic' mode for the people that absolutely can't be bothered, and then 'True' difficult modes for the basic experience, then things like ironman mode.

That's the idea anyway, I'd have to really get into playtesting.

Why do you say that? Many gamejam games eventually move on to become proper games since they force good core ideas into the light. Gamejams are a good excuse for a developer to get his 10 shitty games shipped requirement done so he can get better. The best exercise for game design is actually shipping something and learning from the experience, again and again and again and again. I personally wouldn't be confident enough if I hadn't shipped tons of shit before. So far I have (though mostly not by myself):

*released a game (freeware)
*released a decent game (freeware)
*released a moderately critically good game (freeware) (meaning it actually got on Holla Forums's recommends)
*released a moderately popular game (freeware)
(popular by torrent/dl/referral statistics)
*released a commercial game
*released a commercial game that got over 1000 sales

And now I'm working toward the following:
*released a profitable commercial game
*released a hit commercial game

So I know I'm close now, that is if I don't bankrupt myself first. In the meantime gamejams were essential when I wanted to try out something new, a mechanic or a game engine or something, and need an excuse to get out from the current project I'm slogging through.

Cool.

Come on, you can't just post about all the games you've released and then not even name any of them.

they were OELVNS

is it lewd?

yeah user, i'll train as crazy as i can, doesn't help that i keep wanna changing the outfit of my waifu

the right one looks fun

Oh my god that is a struggle. My only suggestion is pick one and finish it and just tell yourself you can add alternate outfits later if you really want to.

Anyway, I gotta head to bed. I wish you good luck with that training and I'll catch you and everyone later.

Wasn't quite sold on the red hair. Anyway, I quickly whipped up this cloak and a green palette for him without that awful-looking belt. I think it looks pretty good.

There's an RPG system called Ops and Tactics. You can get it for free and there's some rules for how to handle gun combat on a grid. The real meat of the system is in the tables upon tables of stats for guns which it take everything from recoil to bullet caliber into account. At the very least it might help you brainstorm some ideas for how to handle it in your game.

I'm still around right this second, that sounds awesome. Thanks a bunch user I'll check it out tomorrow.

im rustfag though not loomisfag

I envy Americans so much. You guys might be overprescribed Adderall but at least those who actually need it do get it. I feel like a brain in a jar trying to get a 9 year old to do something extremely boring that I nevertheless HAVE to accomplish.

mostly, yes

sadly only a programmer, wish i were an artist so i could be bathing in patreon cash by now.

Damn, those screenshots look really great.

damn good job, I love the cyberpunk aesthetics

Ok, you have a point, I missed the detail on my rant.

A dev really doesn't need to ship 10 shitty games to get better, I mean, he can code 10 shitty games and leave it be, a friend of mine for example prototyped 3 or 4 trash vydia before this whole jam fever came up, he just made them, got the experience and tossed them aside. Also, he says he got most of his experience by focusing on making one huge game that he never finished but the complexity of the whole thing forced him to learn stuff that he never would have to in a gamejam tier games (like level editors, file creation, raycasting, etc).

That's my point, the amount of experience you get by finishing a 3-month-worth game is exponentially better than making a 3-day gamejam thing, look at your own tasklist, you seek a growing improvement in each game you make, at this point a gamejam it's just a fun pastime to you, at most, you'll discover a new mechanic or two, but it'll not make your code, art, music or game design better maybe planning since you are going to be working in a fucked deadline

Wish you luck on that. Get a job

I wouldn't say they are essential, but a good option, you can a short game not necessarily rushed, see Tom Francis for example, he made Morphblade while working in Heat Signature because he wanted to take a break and work on something different.

Focus on your strengths. There's too many "idea guys" out there. Just look at Undertale. Horrible visuals but it was programmed well. You can do it!

Rehauled the fourth weapon for platformer. I like this one much, much, much better. Slightly OP at the moment, though.

Fuuuuuuug this looks great.

fam undertale excel in story, music and fostering community, memes aside from game dev point of view he did it well

tbh fam i forced myself to be a drawfag, and just in case the game failed i'll just draw commission for shekels

dude our brain can only remember something either we find useful or we like it, its not programming, you can just draw without knowin the basic

damn cloak one looks much much better, but its going to be hard to animate you know, since if its choppy i think its going to be noticeable

night fam

lmao what the fuck is that purple projectile user? looks like some gundam kill-all-laser or something

I was absent for quite some time, what happened to "On Cosmic Tides"?

One of the weapons, tentatively titled "Quad Battery". You can only shoot in the four cardinal directions, so I thought a weapon dedicated entirely to shooting at a diagonal angle would be useful.

Still working on it. This was intended to be the hacking minigame for breaking into secured areas.
Then a game jam popped up and a few anons suggested I partake. It's a nice couple week break and all of the touches I put in this will be added to Tides, so it's win/win.

won't it be too strong? looks like it can kill so many with ease, also from gameplay standpoint its a 10/10 dude, fast and fun
if its set in a different world with sword and magic it'd look like odin sphere on steroid, which gives me quite an idea tbh.

Amazing, keep up the good work.

Quoting user I answered above:
Ok, this is the perfect counterexample, looks like I'm wrong.

Nah man I liked the discussion, thanks for the (You)'s.

reposting my answer regarding public domain images:

It's definitely too strong at the moment, I need to waaayyyyy tone down the power.
It's surprisingly fun, though, so I'm definitely keeping the weapon itself. Just need to find a decent balance between weapon power and ammo used, compared to the other three weapon powers with ammo used.

Thanks. I'll keep working hard.

usually spread weapon that damages multiple enemies deal around quarter of the damage of the one that targets one, so maybe less power but keep the ammo consumption?

I would suggest going to WotC's website and look for articles by MtG's head designer Mark Rosewater. He occasionally talks im depth about game theory and mechanical design for games in general. Even some of his Magic specific articles talk about mechanical design space and such

Yesterday I asked how do I change weapons in a FPS ? Do I make multiple models or do I do some layer system ? Somebody told me to check inverse kinematics but it seems like a pain in the ass so I though about the layer system more

Some people call this a modular pawn and it seems that it's popular with games where you can change your clothes/armors, am I going somewhere with this idea or is it just a waste of time ?

im so fucked im grooving out to vitas unironically while trying to stay in fragile emotional balance

youtube.com/watch?v=tVj0ZTS4WF4

this is the closest ive gotten to suicide to date

i'm gonna take the risk, laserdisc!

Stay strong, finish what you've started, you'll make yourself proud.

I'm hyped now, thanks user

>this is the closest ive gotten to suicide' to date

I agree

im fucking triggered

It will never end. This will keep haunting me forever.

i'll personally make sure of it, mate.

what's a good subtle reference to the rodge that I can include in my game?

include his entire manifesto, in text form, in a drawer somewhere.

that WILL get me lynched and boycotted

so?
mate, the shit i have planned will, if done right, attract undertale's audience and then shit all over their dreams and headcanons

I'm 20 in a week, it's too early for me to openly commit a pre-natal career suicide

don't attach your name to the game. just put a disposable username.
or if you're that paranoid, keep the manifesto hidden in the code rather than the game itself.

i'll laugh so fucking hard if someone actually do this

i'll be so pissed if you niggers don't do the same.

motherfucker

isn't it all commented out anyway so the computer just skips the line so… may as well bitch that people are bloating code by properly formatting rather than just programming on one line.

Formatting actually serves a functional purpose though. Pages worth of memes in a comment does not, especially when it's at the top forcing you to scroll past it to get to the actual code every time.

it's in an alarm that's never triggered. so really, the only people that would ever see it are data miners.

Well in that case meme away

1 place it at the end of your code
2 profit

Damn right.

At first I thought that was rendered 3d animation but wow.

Are you keeping your source code safe user?

what if game was make?

Feels good man. I haven't had the drive to be this productive in a while.

I love that sketch. Probably one of the best roles Chuck has starred in.

Is the guy from last thread still looking for anatomy references?

Why, no this isn't an attempt to torture you guys some more with 3dsk pictures. Why do you ask?

JUST

3DSk has some interesting models

Settle down, Maurice

Does user have any idea why SceneManager.LoadScene in Unity loads the new scene on top of the old one?

I tried SceneManager.UnloadSceneAsync but it doesn't actually destroy anything from the old scene.

How the fuck do I load a new scene properly?

is the requirement to be their model is to have fucked up tits?

fam

its not illegal to put hitler moustache in a character on a game right?

wait wont would the object get destroyed? shouldn't it be automatic? maybe there's some problem with the classes type, i used to get problem because i forgot that i used static

By design, the garbage collector in C# is unpredictable (and also slow to manually invoke). Instead, if an object has no references to it, it will be flagged for cleanup for the next GC pass. If it has references, it gets promoted to the next tier internally, to avoid collecting it.

tldr, you can't expect an object to get cleaned up or destroyed in C#. You can implement IDisposable to get rid of unmanaged code, but you shouldn't rely on things disappearing from memory.

(sort of an offtopic post relating to OP, I have no idea what Unity does)

Sure looks like it. Okay, I'll stop now.

That's what I've been told.

The old, obsolete, method works exactly as it should. But the new one just doesn't work at all.

Are you telling me I can't use static at all or nothing will ever get deleted?

what load modifiers did you use?
LoadSceneMode.Addative doesnt remove old scene, just loads in a new scene

Static has absolutely no bearing on object persistence, it just means the variable, class, or function in question isn't tied to a particular instance, but the containing class itself.

Just SceneManager.LoadScene and SceneManager.LoadSceneAsync.

But UnloadSceneAsync should be the one doing the destroying either way.

I doubt it's that then

Also as a side note - a block of async code isn't guaranteed to finish in a particular order compared to other blocks of code. If you had two async functions print the numbers from 1 to 100, for example, one might fire off 5 or 6 times in a row.

Again, just saying. I doubt it's a problem here, but I've never liked doing async shit.

As far as I'm seeing it it's the only way to destroy everything in a scene?
I don't know what's going on with this stuff honestly, the old method seemed much better and more simple, I don't know why they'd replace it with this in the first place

this. if you want to do them in order, do a coroutine and wait for a coroutine to finish

yield return CoroutingPrint1();
yield return CoroutingPrint2();
yield return CoroutingPrint3();

prints in correct order

No, but all the good ones would rather just shoot actual porn.

maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but from what I understood is when you use LoadScene it loads a scene on top of old scene without destroying it, but you want old scene gone.

SceneManager.LoadScene("GayScene");
should do the trick since 'LoadSceneMode.Single' is default. if it dosent, something else might be affecting your desired outcome

also for more reading:
docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SceneManagement.SceneManager.LoadScene.html

docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SceneManagement.SceneManager.UnloadSceneAsync.html

Assuming you've given it the correct scene, it should take care of everything under the hood – eventually. And your problem is that you've now got two scenes at once, because it hasn't completed?

As user said, there's an additive mode - you don't appear to want this one. Make sure you use LoadScene with the Single mode.
docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SceneManagement.LoadSceneMode.html

Otherwise, maybe try SetActiveScene?

I have no idea

I'm using SDL and getting this weird glitch where randomly some of my sprites are rendered badly. Notice the green pixels.
Anyone have an idea as to what's going wrong here?

Also I'm pleasantly surprised by the thoroughness of Unity's docs. It's basically the content that MSDN has for C#/XNA, but actually better organized and fast loading. Their shitty site takes ages to load.

Oh, you're right.
Specifying the loadmode fixed it I guess.

Although my scene looks weird and dark for some reason

you probably did something wrong

I want to say I've had something vaguely similar happen in either XNA or Game Maker, once, when I was doing something esoteric with the rendering. I think it was some kind of rounding error with the edges of the image texture, and it was doing something similar with "random error pixels"

check the spotlight settings
otherwise go mess around somewhere in the project. settings, such as Edit->Project Settings->Quality

also bottom right has a loading bar for lighting building, check if it is done loading
pic related

to clarify, the spotlight is in your scene hierarchy

I do not seem to have that loading bar anywhere in my program, which I suppose might be the problem

If you don't have it that means you're not building anything at the moment.

How do I build the lighting?
Is that supposed to be done via another function?

They're all very pretty and very good for practicing modeling or anatomy, 2edeee is just sperging out because he's only ever seen fake weightless anime tits. Look even his ID is retarded.

Sounds more like his ID is trying to relate the glory of superior 2D

There's a Lighting window/tab where you set it up.

Real women have flaws and all that.

Bolt on tits aren't real tits.

I can't quite arrange this the way I want to. I want to have a 2x3 block somewhere, but I can't seem to jiggle the regions around without making them lose their sense of unity.

(Red/green/blue region is front and side view for bangs, beard, and moustache, yellow is front, rear, and side view for hair, everything else is body part composites)

I mean it's not a huge deal since the thing I want to include is palette data and I could just put that in a separate file, but having 9 tiles unused in a corner shape really triggers my autism

True but it's pretty hard to debug 100s of sprites.

Rounding error looks like a good place to look. Thanks.

We call it Chaplin's moustache user

Chaplin's looks more like a trapezoid, Hitler's was more rectangular

charlie chaplin did nothing wrong

Yeah well it's not like you really gave us any way to help you
A graphical bug like that could be a million different things.

Well, lesson learned I guess. Don't write generic todo lists, because they're useless.

My todo list is a bunch of data processing shit

personally I've found todo lists not to be useful at all
In most cases it's pretty obvious what needs work just by playing your game

I'm gonna take the risk, laserdisc!

I'm in the process of porting my shit from Unity to Unreal, so there is a lot of background shit that isn't apparent from just playing it.

Yeah, that'll probably work.

Some people complained about readability so I tried editing the colors a bit.

Man, that track sounds really good. Where did you find it?

I finished the Light Combat Truck A1 Texturing which includes the Tex2 (Reflection,Glow)

Much better.

Volt Catfish, MMX3

Why are you ripping off the major?

Yeah, it's Megaman X3's Volt Catfish.
I found a slew of Genesis-style remixes, though, and most of them sound really damn good.
Here you go, bro.

dropbox.com/s/9uuboggqvvdvj3y/Rockman X1-3 Genesis Megamix.zip?dl=1

Nice Cheese Pizza, bro. You got any more melty cheesy slices.

Thanks, based Term! Also, nice repeating integers!

It worked for Bungie.

I have weird history with Hacknet.

Oh yeah? I haven't actually finished it, I got inside and took a look and saw a few things about it I liked. It was a little too linear for my taste on the whole though.

long story short:
met the developer of hacknet at i/itsec and made a complete fucking ass of myself

Ah I see. I've been there.

i really like the game(especially the soundtrack), but thinking about it makes me kind of sick

I contacted David Allen (creator of pic related) at one point over Skype and talked to him about game design. Nice guy.

Wew

last thread i talked to some user that wanted to help out with my rts game
He said he favorited my project on gitgud.io but I'm not sure how to contact people through there
are you still here?

I've narrowed it down to SDL_RenderCopyEx doing something when rotating over 180 deg. Time to look at the SDL source I guess.

stop watching porn and get back to your game, user.

Definitely sounds like a rounding error.
Is the math function based on degrees or radians?

Try going from [0..1 x PI] in your function, instead of whole degrees, maybe that might help

Maybe you should rotate between -180 and 180 instead of between 0 and 360.

why is everything in windows a restart

Do you think anyone will notice or care?

i will.

Are you using windows 10?

I'm on 7.

Well tell me how I can condense it further then, because I absolutely need to fit everything into 64 bits because of autism reasons.

Thank God. That button's style looked really similar to 10's.

Basically I have the top row of arms right now, but if I include that extra flag for each arm, I can do the bottom row with raised arms

Okay I think I've found a way to resolve it that works

No thanks
Words cannot express how much i hate this bloated piece of shit

Yeah okay

is there a green pixel in the texture nearby? You should leave a 1 pixel buffer around your tiles (if you are using them) to prevent neighboring tiles from being sampled during scaling or rotation.

what how.

Yes, that was the problem I remembered having.
It was rounding and grabbing pixels from an adjacent tile.

Thanks for pointing out that you can't read user

My point is that there are more options than just the newest bloated one.

Yeah lets just use an outdated version so the ms compiler is even further behind the standard than it already is, great idea keep 'em coming.

And I thought I was fucked up.

I made a T0.5 Ore Extractor now, hmm I might change the ore extraction model part of course that type should be in there but maybe in different style and perhaps getting rid of the silo.

R8 my sh1t m8

that is a mine user

(checked)
It doesn't really matter anyway since in Springas it still count as Metal Extractor :——-DD

It's weird.

If this is for a normal human running animation, then you need to have the legs further back. He's leaning too far forward forward for those leg movements.

Redid my beard sprites to just be beards.
Old ones are on the left, and that area will be replaced with moustaches.

Did I miss any essential beards? The top middle is supposed to be a neckbeard, but it comes up a little high.

Should I merge these classes?
class Entity {public: virtual void onTick(void) {} ~Entity() {}};class RenderedEntity : public Entity {public: virtual void drawSelf(void) {} virtual glm::vec3 getPosition() {}private: glm::vec3 xyz;};

it looks like frog jumping fam, smooth animation though nice

Thanks a lot user.

Beards with sample colors and a generic hairstyle
It's actually kinda looking good now

I UV mapped everything
it was frustrating at times, until smart wrap started to actually work properly

will going to college to learn art and animation teach me anything that I cannot learn by myself?

I'm 19, it's not too late for me to consider going to college

No
I'm 19, it's not too late for me to consider going to college
If you want to go to college just to learn art and animation then it's probably not worth it.

DO
NOT
GO
TO
COLLEGE
Seriously, you could learn everything they would teach you in a few months instead of 4 years

Every artist I've asked said no.

Art college is probably a waste. They can't teach you to be creative. If I was an employer, I'd hire a nobody with a killer portfolio, than some dumbass with no skills and a piece of paper.

Same goes to programming too. Do shit because you like it. Don't go for game dev either.

Probably a good opportunity to post this too.

This is great, but on an ironic level. It's unintentionally brilliant

fam if i were 19 again i wouldn't go to college and just go on a full autistic game deving full time, experience > college
college is like 9-5 day job you don't like, it's not hard but you'll end up tired everyday because of unrelated bullshit, and you won't have the energy left to learn actual useful stuff

isn't the corner of the building is usually sharp? i dunno why but its kinda weird if its round like that

Yes, but im taking some artistic freedom with it
I will make sure it looks good in the end believe me

I went, I wasted my time, all it did was redpill me on marxists, kike professors and feminists.
If you want to learn for real, just pirate pro-classes and treat them like a day job. What I mean is get up early, from 9 to 4pm animate. As if it was your job and you'll become a master.

Get the Animator's Survival kit and start tomorrow!

okay goodluck then mate
hmm maybe you could add some variations to the shape? like more pillar and stuff, just saying

this, just train everyday, also i saw japanese work schedule once and they work like crazy, no wonder most of their games are top tier

oh yes

Yes, i will be adding more detail, also stuff like vines and cracks later on Unity

Guys, for a clock tower which would look better?
A or B

Bang!

The design in the center looks well-suited to a mosaic, what about that?

B looks better.

B then

I think i will save A for a mosaic in the main square, good idea

I have an idea, how about we make a collab game? Here's how I thought, we first get some core ideas by different anons and them we divide who's going to do what. But don't rush, let's do this in little steps.

First of all, What is the name of the game and what's going on in it? pr0tip you can't choose how it plays yet, that comes later.

First user to respond gets to decide.

good luck getting people to actually do anything
anyone with motivation to work already have one or more projects

Don't worry about it, even if it fails, I can say that I tried something.

sorry fam everyone is working towards their dream game, i'm making a waifu rpg game, some user make shooter game with realistic guns, some make farming sim, some make doom2d 2crazy4u
i dont think we can spare excess attention on another project, at most we can help each other but thats it

I admire that, i would give a hand if i wasn't exausted, with the day job + gamedev i have very little free time

I kind of have something to work on, sorry.

The textures and model for the FAL are in engine, but damn does it look sloppy. There are a lot of problems that originated in the model that I need to fix. I'm probably going to start from scratch in many aspects.

The one on the right is easier to make out up-close, the one on the left is easier from a distance.

holy shit

you best be joking comrade

yea looking back on it my stride is a bit large, should probably move back the heel a bit when it hits the ground.

fuck it im gonna play along for a bit

The game is cyberpunk style CS+Quake, with lots of sex appeal, tiddies, and the music is like what I uploaded

fund it

I know you are joking but what a music

i actually want this game to be real

Make it, what are you waiting for?

im already working on a PvP sandbox game, user

Yeah im going to use one for the clock which will be on the tower and the other will be on a mural

Does the pompadour look like a pompadour?

Hey user, will you be able to walk around in 3D space in this game?

The front one looks like a cap.

Look at the third image. Along the edges of the model there's what looks like aliasing. That's a problem I encountered when baking the high resolution model onto the low resolution model. It messed up the normal map along the edges and make it look rough. Rough edges are fine in a weathered model, but the way it did it it makes it look artificial.
Also, the front grip doesn't look smooth enough. I was using the same noise generation I used to give the handle and stock their textured look. The problem is it didn't really come across in the handle and made the front grip too textured when it should have been much more smooth.
On the plus side the shoulder stock looks really nice, better than I expected. and the extra wear i added around where the slide and safety switch would be rubbing also turned out nice. But I can and will do significantly better in the problem areas.

Goddamn user you're pretty good.

Guys, one engine did this!
ONE ENGINE

Does a game use more than one engine?

Ask Gearbox.

Theoretically, sure. It'd probably be more trouble than its worth, though.

Yes.

So when are we going to finish games and create an alternative industry free of SJW's and full of new, innovative ideas?

when someone invents one of these.

AYO hol' up
You sayin' we was shoppers n' shit?

Shieeeeet

wana make a game where rather than re-spawning you pass the torch on to one of your children. like you play as a head of clan and every time you die you take control of another member of the family. so you have this pressure where if you die you end up sending someone else you lose something but not enough to skum save your way out of it and making it worth it to sacrifice yourself to preserve other members of your clan also while giving a practical timer and allowing debuffs like losing limbs and ageing to matter rather than just letting players suicide out of them/ existing as a static character. all this while you get to breed make new members with inherited stats from the parents. like some base line strength/ agility. making acquiring a wife or choosing who to let marry into your clan matter. letting children have better nutrition as you progress/ being able to have them train rather than work. letting you tweak your next character to fit your play style. and other than that just being some generic "survival" game. but with stockpiles rather than chests with unreasonable amounts of loot in them more like stronghold. where you could stock up on charcoal in bushels, iron ore… players getting together forming towns of player characters and families. allowing for a resource dump that matters (so much food needed) and giving an excuse to build large cities as players get larger and larger families.

idk its just some comfy pipe dream i sometimes have.

tbh i still don't see anything's wrong with it fam, for 3d noobs like me it already looks perfect

games finished->promote agdg->more people got interested, repeat the cycle and its exactly how tumblr infest the industry, we also have to seize the chance since being 'edgy' is popular again nowadays, so lets get working boys

So Rogue Legacy :^)

wasn't that just you rolled a guy with some debuffs and did a dungeon?

Yes. There wasn't actually any passing along of abilities. There was a skill tree, but it was shared among everyone, so I don't know if I'd count that as "passing along" the traits.

No idea if you wanted more suggestions, but I got excited about weapons and made this for you.

Hey, cool, finally some non-placeholder sprites.

Oops.

get your shit together Epic, it is getting embarrassing

Can someone help me with virtual functions?
I have a type named 'RenderedEntity' that has a virtual function drawSelf(), which has a derived class 'Test', which overrides this function. I have a RenderedEntity pointer to Test, and when I call drawSelf on it, it executes the original function, instead of the derived one.
What am I doing wrong?

absolute cancer
this is like, asian school shooter wannabe tier

you need to add override type to the derived class function, something like public override int foo, then inside the derived function adds Base.drawSelf() to execute the original function too

this is in c++

RenderedEntity* ren = new Test();ren->drawSelf();

drawSelf is executed correctly in that situation, but when I make it a unique_ptr, it executes the original?

Could you possibly rephrase your question? I don't know what it is you're asking.

I create a unique pointer of RenderedEntity type to an object of Test type, but when executing drawSelf on them, the original is executed instead.

I think you've shown this to me already, but yes I'm still looking for suggestions. I only stop looking for suggestions for a certain class of weapon once I've started work on said class of weapon.
As for what you've shown me, I'm going back and forth on whether or not I should go with the Mosin-Nagant or some more modern rifle like a CheyTec. The Mosin is a bit older and outside of the aesthetic of the game, but I really like Mosins. A CheyTec rifle would better fit the aesthetic, but it would be rather large and not particularly feasible for an enemy to just be carrying around with him anywhere. It feeds into the enemy AI. If they're using a Mosin then the snipers could feasibly move around and change sniping spots regularly. If they're using a CheyTec they'll probably be laying down a long ways away with a spotter waiting for the player to come into their crosshairs.
It shouldn't matter beyond aesthetics to the player because if you're good enough you should be able to fire either gun with perfect accuracy while air strafing at top speed, and either rifle will take out any enemy with one shot to the head or torso.

Could you print out the code itself here? It's hard for me to troubleshoot when I don't even know exactly what the code I'm debugging is.

class RenderedEntity : public Entity {public: virtual void drawSelf(void) {} virtual glm::vec3 getPosition() { return xyz; }private: glm::vec3 xyz;};class Test : public RenderedEntity {public: void drawSelf(void) { glClearColor(0, 0, 0, 1); glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT); glBegin(GL_LINES); glVertex2f(0, 0); glVertex2f(1, 1); glEnd(); }private:};class Camera : public RenderedEntity {};class MediaFile {public:private:};class MediaStreamer {public: MediaStreamer() { alutInit(NULL, NULL); }private: ALuint sources[32];};class EntityManager {public: unsigned long addEntity(std::unique_ptr &entity) { renderobjects[ids[1]++] = std::move(entity); return --ids[1]; } unsigned long addEntity(std::unique_ptr &entity) { gameobjects[ids[0]++] = std::move(entity); return --ids[0]; } void removeEntity(unsigned long id) { gameobjects.erase(id); } void removeRenderableEntity(unsigned long id) { renderobjects.erase(id); } void drawAllObjects() { for (auto& kv : renderobjects) { kv.second->drawSelf(); } } void tickAllObjects() { for (auto &kv : gameobjects) { kv.second->onTick(); } for (auto &kv : renderobjects) { kv.second->onTick(); } } void clearAllObjects() { gameobjects.clear(); renderobjects.clear(); }private: unsigned long ids[2] = { 0,0 }; std::map gameobjects; std::map renderobjects;};class glRenderer {public: glRenderer(EntityManager &manager) : manager(std::move(manager)) { glfwInit(); window = glfwCreateWindow(800, 600, "Cultural Enrichment", NULL, NULL); glfwMakeContextCurrent(window); glewInit(); RenderedEntity *t = new Test; t->drawSelf(); manager.addEntity(std::make_unique(*t)); }

the whole passing things along thing is kinda secondary to me. wana establish a household and maintain it. and no game gives you that.

Good points, I wasn't sure on what your aesthetic was. In fact I know shit all about your game beyond the guns, I just jumped in when I saw I might help.
Here are some other rifle suggestions that may fit: PGM Ultima Ratio, M40A5, Gol-sniper, HK PSG1

There's also the classic CS shitter the AWP/AWM.

Bear with me here. My C++ is rusty, so I want to check something. This section:
RenderedEntity *t = new Test;t->drawSelf();

Try changing it to:
Test test;RenderedEntity *t = &test;t->drawSelf();

And see if that calls the derived function. I'm just throwing shit at the wall, honestly, because at first glance it seems to me what you wrote should be calling the derived function.

t->drawSelf does call it, but kv.second->drawSelf() doesn't.

Also just came across this one, looks alright I think. MD50

fuck you

Ah, I see. My bad. I didn't notice that last line.

In that case, shouldn't it be make_unique?

My c++ is also rusty.

Why do you have the pointer -> after t? Couldn't you do t.drawSelf () ?

It's a pointer to a RenderedEntity, so no.

-> is for pointers
. is for objects

Mm. Okay, in C++, when you pass a derived class object to a method which takes a base class as a parameter, doesn't it automatically assume that the object is the base class? In other words, when you call addEntity with a derived class, does it add it as the base class?

If that's right, then I think in drawAllObjects you need to see if each array member can be cast to a Test object, and if it is, manually cast it and then call drawSelf. Does that work?

I thought that the whole point of a virtual function in c++ was to avoid this mess by consulting the vtable of that object and executing that function.

all this sounds more complicated than it should've been tbh

These look great, thanks. I'll do some research into these and keep them in mind.
As for , I was looking for for something bolt action operated and lower caliber. .50 BMG isn't exactly a sniper round, it's an anti aircraft/antitank round. And I already have an anti-aircraft anti-tank gun in the form of BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

On a lighter note, I think my copy of Soul-O-Matic by Purple Motion is slightly corrupted.
a.cocaine.ninja/hoyfpg.opus

fixed it
c++ move semantics are still super braindead retarded

elusive bugs are the fuggin' worst.
best bet is to leave it alone for now, and a solution will come to me later.

Fair enough. Again good luck dude.

enough

daily reminder that the pain has just started fam

is this comercially free to use? fug i really need some quality free music

So you're adding multiplayer now or something?

No, this is just an entity parser.

that's still MC right, but with brushes?

also is implication of rape is okay in a game? for example stuff like heroine submit to bandit nigger, no depiction though
if not i don't have to make their sprites

Yes, the brush entity is turned into a scalar field which can then be further edited.
This was done to solve the problem of not being able to see or paint terrain in Radiant.

neat, looks pretty useful too

indeed it did, fixed all the bugs
feels gud

no, this is a family friendly industry :^)

what about pointers to objects then?

jokes aside you're probably right, honestly i always think of it as realistic, but it'll probably bring more problem than i want fam

also is that blocking animation? with wings and sword it looks like some kind of gundam fam, cool as fuck

so i got bored and decided to fuck around with neural networks a bit.

OELVN user here. I fucking hate visual novels now

archive.is/5geOh

Well, at least I made my break from Lemmasoft and am hanging out with the cool shitlords who publish pussy pics on Nutaku.

GET BACK TO WORK RIGHT NOW YOU LAZY SHIT

i'm trying to teach a computer to draw sprites

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Seamless swapping between spritesets depending on whether you're aiming up or aiming ahead without interrupting the animation.
Such a pain in the ass to do.

There's probably a better way to do this but this took all goddamn night and I'm tired so I'll make it better tomorrow.

Couldn't you index the frames and keep the frame # the same while changing the sheet?

Why is it hard?

Either that, or draw the upper body as a separate entity.

C'est un croissant, ceci n'est pas un pain.
God I hate french.

fam that's a 3d art posted by some user who said that self learning is impossible and stupid because he can only make that thing by his own after years, good times

Croissants are a bread product and are delicious fuck you

Croissants are officially classified as pastries, not bread.

WE

WUZ

KANGZ

do black shoppers have higher chance of shoplifting?

if they don't, i will be severely disappointed.

what is the context of that image?

Yes of course they do at least 2x as likely due to muh poverty and a much increased chance of causing a (((organized))) rioting.

It's from mod archive and I don't think Purple Motion would care about his composition being used 25 years later.

It's Photoshop or some other design program. 100% black looks kinda dark gray in CMYK color mode, and "rich black" refers to black that actually looks black (like RGB 0,0,0).

Any idea what this means?
Script worked yesterday, now it's giving me this for no reason

One of the objects doesn't exist. Either GameControl, control or inventory.

I forgot I had commented out a part of the code, oops

So, I'm currently adding info to a List automatically everything something is called. This does seem to work as new things are added and I'm actually able to call them with Debug Log.

The only problem I have is that if I call debug log like I do in the first pic, I get everything back in a single line.

Second pic is how I read stuff in my list.

How can I call each parameter in my list as a single thing? What if I want to just call the FigurineName of the first result in my list without the description attached?

I do want to model these facts but I don't want to get accused of racism.

I will probably use income as a factor

tell them it is due to a bug in the code that is being racist you were 100% totally not behind that one, you forget to do a background check of some coder that he wuz a ebvul nazi but of course the said coder doesn't actually exist :^)

Just see it as a social experiment and use this excuse

Also, please rate my first FPS arms.

Well… Later I plan on collecting census data from the different states to determine demographic breakdown numbers, including income levels and racial data per state, so that if your store is in Lousiana for example, you'd get more black people.

However, it might unintentionally work out "buggy" because I want to have a number of different weights for the AI to make decisions.

I have one picked out, but last time I posted it around here and Tumblr a few years ago, it ended up getting poached and used in an actual game, so I'm waiting until I have something tangible before attaching it to a deadend game.

one day I'm gonna suck at animation less than I do now

The chest and belly need to lean forward a little, don't forget the shoulders movement too.

Ah yeah, I wasn't expecting people to post their game names. Shit's just a struggle to come up with a good one.

Fucking A+

the name to mine came to me by complete accident, like most of the story elements.
don't worry about it, mate. name's only important when you need to do marketing, you're far from there.

thanks user, I'm gonna fix it up

Thought this was going to be the best way to render on screen a bunch of Names, but apparently all it does is push them off screen

just set the crime chance to the area where the store is and let the majority black areas have a higher crime rate and plea ignorance saying you input them separately. of couce this would mean that every white person would have the same chance of robbery but if the store is majority black….. might have a higher crime rate. or you know you could just apologetically set crime chance to race and point at fbi statistics. shout realism and how racism is to blame if you get cornered. or just give no fucks.

people really are only going to notice if they datamine. otherwise, if they notice, call it a coincidence and call them racist.

pic unrelated, my neural network is trying to draw sprites. this is what it has 15 hours in.

I might do this (and that's a good source of data) I plan to rely on weighted RNG and averages a lot, so using this as base data seems like a sane compromise.

Not that every 1 in 10 black people are going to rob a store, but when the game generates a shoplifting event, it'll see that it will be more likely to be one race or another.

Also your thumbnail almost looks like an NES game screenshot for ants.

Try something along the lines of
private void OnGUI(){ foreach(...) { GUILayout.Label(GameControl.FigurineNameFinal); }}

If you want to change the layout, wrap it in like this
...using (new Horizontal()) // or Vertical{ foreach(...) { ... }}...

Good luck.

Oh, that's much better, thanks.

Just keep in mind that the using statement will create a new object every time it's invoked (and subsequently remove references to it after you're past its scope).

It's a great way to generate a bunch of shit for the garbage collector if you toss it in a loop accidentally. Just sayin'

Garbage collector?

Also I dunno, Menus really confuse me so far. I have no idea where to start, and most of the tutorials I find online are really different and much more complicated from what I'm trying to do.

Weird that something this important would have so little documentation.

Not a problem, since OnGUI() is slow as fuck and should only be used for debugging purposes in the first place.

Goddammit.

Ignore that post, then. It won't matter in 99% of cases anyways.

I still need to make a UI myself, and haven't because I don't know the best way to approach the rendering to make it flexible, but UIs are usually event or poll based.

In the first case, you create a bunch of events, and raise them as needed, such as OnMouseEnter. Then, client code just hooks into it and handles the event as needed. You hover a button, it gains an outline until the mouse leaves. Nice. This is better for applications in general.

The other approach is to have it be poll-based. The buttons are just a bunch of state objects and you have the client code handle everything by checking with ifs and comparing state. This approach is better for games.

Of course that's just general information for UI… not sure specifically how to handle what you're using.

Do you know where I can read up more on either of these methods?

Cause so far all I have is data in a list and a way of calling stuff inside it, and that's it, so anything would help.

Sadly, no. This is just general knowledge I've gained from looking at a number of shitty tutorials.

As far as general event-handling in C# goes, though, this is pretty comprehensive:
codeproject.com/Articles/20550/C-Event-Implementation-Fundamentals-Best-Practices
Might not be completely useful/relevant for you though

is using Unity and you're supposed to use their new GUI system for your ingame UI. Your production code isn't supposed to touch the OnGUI() methods at all (aside from debugging shit).
Here user:
unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/user-interface-ui
The old GUI system is shit, slow, inflexible and it will take you forever to make something that doesn't look bad. The only thing you want to use it for is to quickly print some info on the screen while debugging.

Hmm I made 3 more variant of this building, I think the first one has to go since it just looks weird and doesn't look good, the 2nd or the 4th one might be my more likely candidate.

I like the third better than the fourth.

I am conflicted about racial statistics now

just optimized my walking/animation script.
not only did i fix a shitty bug that would trigger whenever you clicked out the window or the game window froze, but the sprite checking works exactly as i want it and still i cut the script down by about two thirds.

Alright so far I have now 2 votes for the 3rd building and again 2 votes for the 4th one, I asked some of my friends for their opinion on a libre chat client.

I have a serious issue /agdg/, a bare-bone vulkan tutorial loads a 500k triangle object in 3 minutes, but blender can open the same object in 40 seconds. Or is my GTX 750Ti just poorly constructed for the vulkan method of handling large amount of data?

I dropped the database loading from CSV and just went with an internal List.

This might come back to bite me in the ass in the long run but this requires 1/10th the work and works much better, especially if I have to call items. Here's hoping.

I'd say three is a better balance than four, and a bit more going on than two.

Thank. Fucking. Christ
Unreal periodically creates backups of the shit you work on.

You should still make a local copy bruh

fucking quaternions, man

If I wanted to have two gameobject with just a script attached in every single scene in my game, but I didn't to drag and drop each one by one into unity, is there a faster automatic way to do that?

Like, creating a gameobject with X script attached to it if Y doesn't exist in the hierarchy?

There. Base body sprites are done.

I'm thinking that I will merge the body masks back into one composite greyscale shape again, to make room for twice the number of hairstyles.

docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Object.DontDestroyOnLoad.html

I don't fucking get it, why? I can get behind the idea that i^2 can equal -1, but if j^2 and k^2 also equal -1 then how the hell can ijk = -1.
Am I wrong in the assumption that i=j=k? If they all produce the same number when squared then surely they are the same value, right? If so, then how can that value cubed equal the same thing as it does when squared? And if it's the same value, then why does the order of i, j and k matter? If it's not the same value, then what is it? What was the reasoning when Hamilton came up with this? I don't get it.

The problem is there isn't a function that cleanly does that.
The closest equivalent is that you can COPY a frame from a different actor as long as that actor has a pointer related to the current actor.
It's dumb and shitty and stupid.

I get around this by having dumb placeholder project titles, complete with shitty titlescreens in MSPaint. That way there's something to solidly refer to the project by, but because it's dumb people know that won't be the final name.
Gives you plenty of time to think of a proper name.

then how can i^2 be -1
I can understand i being some retarded imaginary value that magically becomes -1 when squared, but are j and k the same value? The value isn't -1, is it?

I thought the rule was that anything ^2 could not be negative

Because that's the definition of an imaginary number?

They never really went in depth into complex numbers in high school I have no fucking idea

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_number

Ye but there's imaginary numbers, which I'm trying to wrap my head around.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_number

I get that that's the definition, but I don't get how ijk equals i^2

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_number
sounds fake to me

it should've been briefly mentioned, if not covered, in grade 11/12.

I don't know where you pulled this equation from, but it's mathematically impossible. The only value that when squared equals -1 is the imaginary number i, and i * i * i is not -1, it's -1 * sqrt(-1).

Even more to the point, we can pretty easily determine that the equation is impossible just by substitution.

i * j * k = -1
i ^ 2 = -1
i * j * k = i ^ 2
j * k = i

Plugging that back into the original equation:
(j * k) * j * k = -1
j ^ 2 * k ^ 2 = -1
j ^2 = -1
k^2 = -1
-1 * -1 = -1

Impossible. Where the hell did you find this bullshit?

just read the fucking wiki
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternion

Actually, fuck me, I forgot to distribute those values. Disregard that second part.

It's quaternion math apparently, I have no idea how it works but it's important for 3d

I'm not a burger

Wait, now I've confused myself. I don't think there's any distribution there to worry about at all. The second part actually is valid.

Isn't it? Now I'm second-guessing and third-guessing my math.

me neither, mate. it was taught to me in shitty slav high school.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Now you're just making me feel bad

Okay, so…

If i^2, j^2, and k^2 all equal -1, then it stands to reason that i^2 * j^2 * k^2 = -1, since -1 * -1 * -1 = -1.

In that case, we have i*j*k = -1 -> i*j*k = i^2 * j^2 * k^2. Divide both sides by ijk and we get 1 = i*j*k. By the original given information, we know that ijk = -1, but here, by substituting the values were also given, I get ijk = 1. So, in essence, 1 = -1.

This shit is apparently very highly regarded and well-used, so I must be making some extremely elementary mistake in my math somewhere, because I'm just not fucking understanding.

Someone needs to explain this to me because I'm getting really bothered by it.

are you doing the rgb thing?

I had thought of it, but decided not to.

It will reduce a lot of space and will possibly enable you to make at least the triple of hairstyles. Also, think of the tools that would be created to make it possible to mod.

According to my OpenGL textbook

I'm assuming multiplication order matters, because I don't see how ij can equal -ji

The problem is that with the things split up, it takes about 20 draw calls to assemble a base body, but if I condense it a bit, then I can get that down to 8.

I don't think I want to do the RGB splitting because while I might get more information on the image, it becomes more cumbersome to work with; I'd have to end the draw batch and set a new state every time I wanted to grab a different element, for example.

From my understanding, Quaternion math is similar to matrix math where multiplication is non-commutative (eg a*b is not equal to b*a).

Consider 4 square matrices (rows separated by a semicolon);
I = [1,0;0,1]
i = [i,0;0,-i]
j = [0,1;-1,0]
k = [0,i;i,0]

for these 4 matrices, the quaternion equations are true:
i^2 = -I
j^2 = -I
k^2 = -I
ijk = -I

And now it's textured.

3dgep.com/understanding-quaternions/#Complex_Numbers
Also note that i=/=j=/=k. They are all separate values that square to -1, could be the same, but do not have to be.

The point of imaginary numbers is that there is no real number that is equal to them. They don't exist in this universe. We just kinda lapse into them for a tiny bit to do some calculations then get them back into reality. They're kind of what Z is to 2D people. Yet not entirely.
To be honest I passed a test on quaternions and I still don't get them.

I get the i^2=-1 part, but not the ijk=-1 part, is it also a purely arbitrary thing?

How are you managing walking animations?

Since it was tile based, I was just going to have them clip into the next tile. Idle animations with arms and looking around and stuff would be used to give them some life

this thread really puts the amateur back in agdg
thanks for the laughs and keep chasing the rainbow guys

Not exactly arbitrary, it's what has to be true for it to be a quaternion.
Note again that ij=k. So (ij)k = (k)k = k^2 = -1.

wait what, why is ij=k

I just wrote a short wall of text, realized it was either wrong or I don't get it anymore either, and it's 1 AM. I'm going to suggest you just read the article I linked and join in laughing at me while I go sleep.

looks good to me

I did have an answer to your initial question earlier but it may have been too complicated for you. What is your experience with matrices? Are you familiar with concepts such as matrix multiplication, dot product, cross product? Also, what is your knowledge level on complex numbers? I'm no expert on quaternion math, but I may be able to provide some explanation if I can get a feel for what you know.

actually I just read the article and it says multiplication of quaternions is not commutative.
meaning you can't just do substitution like that
Also it's definitely worth noting that even though
i^2=-1
j^2=-1
k^2=-1
That doesn't meant j=i=k

I know dot and cross product, haven't done anything with matrices yet. Don't know much about complex numbers except what was said in numberphile's quaternion video. I guess I also have huge gaps in my terminology since I only learned math in Polish when I was in school.

Okay so as a refresher, the cross product is capable of taking two non parallel vectors and returning a third vector that is perpendicular to the first two (eg. in [i,j,k] coordinates, [1,0,0] crossed with [0,1,0] will yield [0,0,1]).

Quaternion multiplication uses a similar approach when multiplying numbers laying on different "directions" or "number lines" (the i, j, and k number lines) and uses the complex system of multiplication when multiplying things on the same number line (1*1 = 1, 1*i = i, i*i = -1, etc). When we say i*j*k in the quaternion system, its more along the lines of i cross j cross k. As with vector space, i cross j will equal k and since k and k are on the same "number line" we use the imaginary method of multiplying (k*k = -1). Hence ikj will equal -1.

Were you able to follow that?

Frame + window, just need to rig bones into it… oh yeah and UV map

Another refresher to the cross product is that it is non-commutative in that A cross B is not equal to B cross A. In fact, the result of A cross B is negative to the result of B cross A.

Putting this and what I said previously all together, a multiplication table can be put together regarding quaternion multiplication and easily found on wikipedia. Essentially a quaternion number is a complex number (eg. 2+3i) except that its imaginary part has been replaced with a three dimensional vector (eg. 2+[1i,4j,2k]).

Now what I've described here is good and all for simple quaternion numbers that have only 1 element to them (eg. 0+[1,0,0] * 0+[0,1,0] = 0+[0,0,1]), but if you were trying to multiply two full quaternion numbers, such as (3 + [1,3,6]) * (6 + [3,1,4]), a far more complicated approach would be needed. One you may need to look up yourself.

I'm really sleepy but I think I'm starting to get the picture now. If you had a quaternion represented as a + bi + cj + dk then bi, cj and dk would be the equivalents of x,y and z, right? a would be the w coordinate. I'm still not sure exactly why it's a cross product instead of a normal multiplication but I'll probably figure it out as I keep reading about this stuff. I'll have to rewatch a lot of the math videos I've seen today tho.

Do you think I should focus on matrix math before I learn quaternions, or is it ok if I worry about that later?

Oh, was writing my post before yours popped up. I recall the multiplication table from one video I watched and I think it's gonna be much easier to grasp now, I also remember that if you represent the quaternion as wxyz, then w is cos(angle/2) and xyz is sin(xyz). I know that if you multiply xyz by w, you get euler angles, but I'm still not sure what the exact purpose of W is.

Quaternion math is kinda outside my knowledge so I don't know exactly how much it depends on matrix math. But if you have cross and dot product understood, then I wouldn't think you would need too much more in matrix math.

Awesome, many thanks for the help!
I'll probably spend a day or two figuring the rest out but I think I sorta kinda grasp the ijk=-1 concept.

Just did a quick bit of reading regarding your wxyz question and from my understanding, any rotation or sequence of rotations in 3 dimensions can be represented by a rotation axis (represented by xyz) and an angle (computed via w).

Consider, for example, a rotation of 90 degrees around the x axis followed by a rotation of 90 degrees around the y axis. This sequence can be compacted into a quaternion of [-0.7,0,0,1] (I think) in the [w,x,y,z] format where 0.7 can be used to compute -90 degrees and 0,0,1 equates to the z axis (-90 degrees rotation around the z axis in laymans terms).

doesn't the magnitude of wxyz have to be 1, though?

Hmm I think you're right, it probably should be [-0.7,0,0,0.7] or something.

Quaternions are like weights, not like angle-axis.

Could you elaborate?

meant for

It's 11 pm right now, I work at 9 am to 1:30 pm

Should I stay up

Also, as for the RGB spritesheet, I don't think it's a very good idea. It's a cool idea, but it's tricky to implement and I still think it doesn't add very much. Plus, if things get to bloated, I can just make more spritesheets.

I did manage to get it to draw a single color channel, but it involves too much fuckery with the blend state to set it up.

For practical purposes, the X, Y and Z components of a quaternion can be thought of as normalized "weights" representing 180 degree rotation around each axis.
The W component on the other hand, is a weight for the "no rotation" position. Negative W has the same effect as positive W, despite being a different number.
Any 3D rotation can be represented by blending between those four positions.
Those four weights are normalized, meaning they add up to either 1 or -1.

So if you had W=0.00, X=1.00, it means it would rotate around the X axis halfway, or one PI. But if W=0.50, X=0.50, then it would only go one quarter?

Also, I heard quarternions avoid gimbal lock, somehow. Is the rotation order fixed to be X then Y, then Z, or…?

Shit, son, I work 8-4 and I don't go to bed until 2 at the earliest. Why the hell would you need 10 hours of sleep?

nah dude if you can get more than 5 hours of sleep, go for it

I see. When you say "180 degrees around each axis", do you achieve full rotation by having negative values?

Actually in some positions, they seem to be able to add up to 0 as well.

You have to remember that it's blended. There isn't any fixed rotation order that I know of.
[1,0,0,1] rotates 90 degrees, [1,0,0,0] will rotate 180 degrees.
Here's where it gets interesting. If you start moving W towards -1, like [1,0,0,-1], it'll keep rotating in that direction; it'll now be a 270 degree rotation. Therefore, [0,0,0,-1] is in fact 360 (and at the same time -360) degrees, and not 0.

Exactly. But mathematically, it's not the same position as the identity. This property of quaternions is called "double cover".

I think if you take 2 wxyz vectors you can interpolate between them freely by just lerping each value, pic related resulted in the rotation being in the middle of two values

Oh no, I have to catch the 8 am bus (8:30 if I wanna be a few minutes late); it usually takes me 30-60 minutes to fall asleep anyways. So basically if I want to get 8 hours of sleep and leave on time, I'd have to go to bed about 20 minutes ago.

Just be careful not to lerp from -W to W; it'll have to go all the way around.

how the fuck am "i" supposed to make a game? i mean shit day one i was fucking around in unity then i brush up on modeling skills then i try to animate it bring it all back into unity for more fucking around. code is shit model is shit and animations are shit. i mean fuck how is one person supposed to not be a hack and make their own vidya?

How badly will I want to kill myself if I do something like this?

Simple

Every game is finite.
Every game was made by humans, sometimes by very few, not all of them working full time, not all of them being motivated, many of them utilizing sub-par tools and workflows, and almost all of them wasting time on communicating and exchanging work with each other.
I shouldn't be saying anything until I'm actually done, but this isn't as impossible as it looks.

its like everything else really, you wont find a gf if youre looking for a perfect one
dont make a perfect game, but just try to make one
its also a reminder for myself tbh, we need to strive for perfection to get better, but dont be blinded by it

There are many like it, but this poly is mine.

meme

My favorite meme is makinga new thread one page early

then make one already

you really want to model all those shutters and not just throw a texture on it?

abandon thread

I use bitflags a lot, and I find them to be extremely convenient; they're one of the more useful microoptimizations.
Few tips…
Find a consistent naming convention you like, and STICK TO IT.
If you use these flags for selection, but still want a unified bit flag; they don't need to be in one enum, just have CONSISTENT sets of bit fields per flag type (as u can go: finalFlag = (enum0.myFlag1 | enum1.myFlag0 | enum2.myFlag0); etc…).
This can be useful to differentiate between each "type" of a flag to fulfill a particular bit field (head, arm, leg, etc), and make selection more convenient (for coding logic, manual selection, etc).
Also, each "type" of bit field has reserved bits.
F.e. for body -> reserve bits 0xF (from 0-15), and for head 0xF0 -> (0-15, if u use shift left, (headFlag >>= 4;), and filling u just use (headEnum.headFlag0

I'm in the same position. what I usually do is think 'what if I die early and never made a game'

I don't really care about the money (it's going to be free anyway), and I just want it out there for some people to enjoy.

I think it looks ok.
Going to model the body base now