Space Robot Communism when?

The Dominant Life Form in the Cosmos Is Probably Superintelligent Robots

If and when we finally encounter aliens, they probably won’t look like little green men, or spiny insectoids. It’s likely they won’t be biological creatures at all, but rather, advanced robots that outstrip our intelligence in every conceivable way. While scores of philosophers, scientists and futurists have prophesied the rise of artificial intelligence and the impending singularity, most have restricted their predictions to Earth. Fewer thinkers—outside the realm of science fiction, that is—have considered the notion that artificial intelligence is already out there, and has been for eons.

Susan Schneider, a professor of philosophy at the University of Connecticut, is one who has. She joins a handful of astronomers, including Seth Shostak, director of NASA’s Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, or SETI, program, NASA Astrobiologist Paul Davies, and Library of Congress Chair in Astrobiology Stephen Dick in espousing the view that the dominant intelligence in the cosmos is probably artificial. In her paper “Alien Minds," written for a forthcoming NASA publication, Schneider describes why alien life forms are likely to be synthetic, and how such creatures might think.

“Most people have an iconic idea of aliens as these biological creatures, but that doesn’t make any sense from a timescale argument,” Shostak told me. “I’ve bet dozens of astronomers coffee that if we pick up an alien signal, it’ll be artificial life.”

With the latest updates from NASA’s Kepler mission showing potentially habitable worlds strewn across the galaxy, it’s becoming harder and harder to assert that we’re alone in the universe. And if and when we do encounter intelligent life forms, we’ll want to communicate with them, which means we’ll need some basis for understanding their cognition. But for the vast majority of astrobiologists who study single-celled life, alien intelligence isn’t on the radar.

“If you asked me to bring together a panel of folks who have given the subject much thought, I would be hard pressed,” said Shostak. “Some think about communication strategies, of course. But few consider the nature of alien intelligence.”

Schneider’s paper is among the first to tackle the subject.

Other urls found in this thread:

motherboard.vice.com/read/the-dominant-life-form-in-the-cosmos-is-probably-superintelligent-robots
theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/05/japanese-company-replaces-office-workers-artificial-intelligence-ai-fukoku-mutual-life-insurance
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Posadas was right all along.

The rest of the article: motherboard.vice.com/read/the-dominant-life-form-in-the-cosmos-is-probably-superintelligent-robots

The problem as I see it is that superintelligent robots that are sentient and sapient (like humans, but smarter) need some inherent motivation to continue living or continue to expand. This means that they either need hard programmed instincts like humans have, which takes away from their "free will".

This means that any widespread robotic race has a prime objective they will follow, because all the other ones do not. But that begs the question, does higher intelligence give more opportunity to override these instincts or disable them? Could this perhaps be the great filter? Any race that gets too smart for its own good kills itself or stagnates, while races too stupid dont get out of their solar system?

the higher your intelligence the better your chances at overcoming ignorance. id put my life on that if there is intelligent life out there that can traverse the stars on the whim, the reason they do not do so is that they have overcome the need to senselessly expand throughout the whole universe

I hope you're not a cultural relativist as well.

This relies on the false assumption that the development of calculation power is in any way a constant, stringent rise. To achieve technological singularity, which would be the primary condition to create superior artifical life, we would have to outpace the human brain which seems to be pretty much impossible at this point considering we are already sort of already staggering in increasing calculation power and virtual space of contemporary hard drives, at least compared to the improvement curve we had 10 years ago. The graph showing the development of artifical intelligence is most likely a hyperbola, with one of the axis representing the capability of the human brain or some form of sentient intelligence in general that we can never reach simply due to material restrictions.

Now, if we are talking about biochemical/genetic engineering, creating a sentient superior species might be possible, but is such a lifeform "artificial"? Probably not by any means, since it's still being built on the basis of biochemistry.

The people who write this kind of stuff are literally mystics. That can't stand not knowing something so they preoccupy themselves with divining long form projections.

its a figure of speech m8

Synthesis with OP: aliens exist, they develop synthetic super intelligence, followed by their voluntary self-extinction.

It's rather telling that in a lot of sci-fi universes the benevolent super intelligent aliens have some kind of cheap 'be more in tune with nature, life, etc.' spiritual message. We project on them the fake solutions of our falsely percieved and ideological problems. Life is horrible, be it synthetic or organic, so without some failproofs nature put there to ensure its continuation I don't see how it can go on.

Japanese company replaces office workers with artificial intelligence

Insurance firm Fukoku Mutual Life Insurance is making 34 employees redundant and replacing them with IBM’s Watson Explorer AI

theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/05/japanese-company-replaces-office-workers-artificial-intelligence-ai-fukoku-mutual-life-insurance

How is a software spouting out algorithms in any way an artifical intelligence as in somehow resembling a consciousness or a match for a human brain, or even a dogs brain?

You might as well call the NPCs in Skyrim artifical intelligence.

2015: By far the highest volume ever recorded

Wot? I didn't say that.

I like that this is only a few years after the roboform scandal and people think this will be a net good somehow.

Somehow we can't improve on our tech?

Somehow, someway, somewhere. Would you chance your bank loan being processed by a computer if it was something you absolutely needed?

Cutting out needless people is one thing, letting machines make financial decisions that can effect a person greatly is stupid at this point and time.

I trust computers more than humans.

Computers are already doing this as we speak, for amounts way bigger than my student loan.

I don't understand your problem with machines handling algorithms, no. It's funny because the tankie was complaining that these algorithms aren't complex enough, and you are complaining that they are too complex.

Make up your minds while technology surpasses you both.

It's great that you think all this is fine, except my first post contained the example of the roboform scandal. If you don't know what that is why it was devastating to hundreds of thousands of people at a bare minimum please look it up.

Two people have different and non-overlapping views on technology on an imageboard, crazy I guess. Also he was right BTW by most definitions of "strong" AI this wouldn't count.

Honestly, aliens would probably be able to engineer at the nano scale and have a mix of artificial biology and what we think of as normal mechanical structures both in their bodies and in their artifacts.

Except that no one said it's a strong AI.
Also a technology failure isn't a scandal.