Dreamcast Thread

We haven't had one for a while. What games have you been playing on your DC anons? Anyone still play it online, or working on your own game for the system?

What're you

Dreamcasts are still very cheap and easy to get ahold of modded or regular. If you find one, double check the number located underneath the console. If it's 0 or 1, you're good for burnt discs; if it's 2, you may have issues. That's the only major concern, you should be good to go after that.

You have Dreamshell and loading via serial port, loading games via the broadband modem, or GDemu to load off an SD card acting as your disc drive. Serial is probably the worst of the bunch, but it's there if you're bored.

Via buying a 2nd hand SJWpi, you can use it to play DC games online once more. For more information, use these links.
blog.kazade.co.uk/p/dreampi.html
dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=8d8c08486a0f6892b0f95f9ba008d88d

For extra DC shit, >>>/vr/2952

I was gonna buy another dreamcast for use with the GDemu because it isn't compatible with my VA0 model but it sold out in 15 minutes.

Fuck that I'm not giving money to jews anymore. I'm going to buy a half broken dreamcast and make it into Frankenstein's monster. I've already read up on the DC and that certain points in the G1-ATA mod line up with the gdrom socket and funny enough I won't have to design my own PCB because some dude in china managed to do it and sell it for 20 bucks(a steep discount). He managed to replace the GDrom with a ide/sata/CF card connector and you can just drop it into the socket that the gdrom drive was in before(needs a bios mod to work though). this combined a VGA mod ontop are what I'm currently planning.

How are HDD mods? I see them a lot, but never gauged how well they work compared to GD or the standard serial SD. I always thought they were on par with the serial loading in terms of compatibility.

GDemus always sell out in minutes. It's made by one guy. I had to wait and watch for a year or so to get one.

user
Go talk to them

I understand you man

>meet a girl on an obscure MMO a decade ago

Never bring a friendship into meatspace people.

You niggers better have played Floigan Bros

Shill it to me, user

Have you tried giving her the dick yet?

Are Zombie Revenge and Cannon Spike the funnest bro-op DC games?

Been playing a bunch of Crazy Taxi of late, DC version a best. Also
Life is suffering

GDemu is pretty worth it. If you really want one I'd just use page update notification software (or a plug-in on your browser which is what I did) to watch the pre-order page for changes and inform you within seconds if it goes live. He announces that he is doing runs pretty well in advance so you'll know roughly when to watch but the hard part is he'll sometimes schedule it for a weird release time as he's trying to let people in various time zones get a chance at it.

What plug in did you use? Also, doesn't GDEMU have several problems like not having a menu? I don't know if thats been updated but I remember that was a pretty big turn-off for me. The load times plus not having to use fucking CDI's is nice

Fans made a menu, it's amazing: GDMenu, check it out. Honestly I haven't run in to any problems other than finding a good SD card up to it's specs is a little tricky (it requires a nice well made card, and it only takes certain types and even then it's kind of a dice roll on what brands work. I have two Kingston cards, I suggest those), but once you have that it's all smooth sailing. As for the program I used, it was Distill Web Monitor and just had it watch the section where it said "Preorders are currently closed." The second he changed it it alerted me with a notification and a noise, which was good because it was like 4am my time and I was passing out waiting for that shit to open. By the way he'll usually be sneaky about how he announces what day it will be, sometimes you have to check his comment section if he hasn't made it clear in his post. It's a bit of effort to get one but I'd honestly say it's worth it.

Thanks user, getting that plugin ASAP. Nice to have a menu too, is there still a limit to SD card storage tho?

I'm currently attempting to build a shrine to the Dreamcast and SEGA

Could be wrong, but believe it was 32gb.

How's it going so far?

Honestly? Not as well as I hoped. Trying not to turn it into a Shrine to Sanic which is where it's going right now. I want the Shrine to be autistic but not that autistic.

Post images.

Will do when I get my camera working needs battery

just use your phone mate

Thats pretty shitty though, I don't want to have to be swapping SD cards constantly

Nice, I've done something similar by using unused DVD boxes and printing DVD-version covers of Dreamcast and Saturn games. Looks way better on a shelf than just a bunch of CD-Rs

Given the size of DC games, it isn't that bad, but don't know why it's limited to 32GB.

Doesn't support SDXC? Could be worse and not support SDHC and be stuck at 2GB

Bump.

There is a reason this thing failed.

Bumpan with best DC music.

Yes nigger we all know after being told the five billionth time, and no, spare use the piracy meme. Anyone with a brain stem knows it's bullshit.

Sure, the Wii is fucking amazing mate

Even at 32GB thats not a lot of space mate. Some (especially the multi-disc) games are over 1GB. In fact pretty much every two games or so makes a GB

It might not be a Wii but it's definitely lackluster on par with a Gamecube

can't run dvds on a dc, right? or is GD-EMU the only way to run games at full size ?

lol no you dumb nigger

And remember: Games will often have assets removed or compressed in order to fit on a CD, especially later titles like SA2 or Shenmue.

99 min CDs, or go with the edited CDIs. Usually you won't notice what's missing.

Except things like the Japanese audio track for the SA games. CDI rips are only useful for small games like arcade ports. It's always best to use full GDI rips for larger games made natively for the Dreamcast.

My SA2 doesn't have the chao garden, and couldn't give less of a shit if I tried. Suppose if you're actually gonna use it or not. The most extreme example I've got though. Have SA2 now just use burnt disc more.

Proper and working DC emulation, when?

Demul is adequate depending how you use it with Vsync. Leaving it on or off can cause sound stuttering depending on the game

Usually only a few large games have this problem, and even then the DC community has still been working on CDI rips making them better and better. Its not the 90's anymore mate, the average CDI beats the GDI version since they add better load times and even VGA support

Too bad they you still have to compress shit to fit in with 700 megs. And some cdi rips still cut out shit

They cut out unecessary shit most of the time. You don't need to play the game in italian, german and spanish do you? Likewise, many GDI's were filled with nonsense data just to reach the data cap, which are also conveniently removed from CDIs

Except when they remove shit like Chao Gardens in SA.

Unlike you, I have standards in wanting to play games completely as they are. And that includes games that have multiple language tracks for when I feel bored of listening to blah English dub. And way to dodge the argument that some CDI rips compress the shit out of assets making things look and sound worse.

CDI rips are good for smaller games like 2D fighting games, but large ones like Shenmue aren't worth it. If you prefer losing content then enjoy your butchered convenience, just like how everyone enjoyed DQ4 on DS when Square removed party chat.