Why. the

Why. the.

FUCK.

Does the PS4 share feature save the images as jpgs?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG#JPEG_compression
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

[aa]M U H F I L E S I Z E[aa]
Is the usual answer faggot give.

JPEGs can be very high quality, stop pretending you know shit.

So that when people go, "Wow, that looks like shit", Sony will be able to pretend that it's not because it looks bad while playing as well.

Why would they not be jpg

LOL!

Australians are always the answer.

you saved my image

I pirated your image.

Because it's the best choice?

why didn't you save these?

Because that one is the best of the bunch.

These images look like they have a photo effect on them to me, like fish eye or something. Just look at these bottom corners

R34 when?

There's a lot of weird shit like that in the game that tries to make it look more "cinematic," like the dynamic HUD elements.

I am honestly surprised they don't save them as .bmp all things considering.

That's what new shit games tend to do now. It's fucking stupid

ARE YOU EVEN REAL HARDCORE GAMERS

Its called vignetting
Its cancer

kill yourself
you've taken the concept of jokes too far faggot

Want me to stream it?

Why the fuck do people flip their shit over muh .jpg or muh .png

It's like pretending /k/ gets triggered about clipazines anymore.

becasue some people like quality

You can set it to save as pngs

because those aren't user interfaces, jpg is more useful than .png which would amount to too big a file size, like 5 mb for instance for one screenshot

PS4s photomode is literally a Bullshot mode.

If you went into share settings you could make it save as PNG

no u
my shitposting is good

Anyways, JPEG are better than PNG in both filesize and quality. Now, saving as something like a BMP would be better, but most file sharing sites don't allow for those to be posted, so it's easier to just make the PS4 save as JPEGs.

the screenshot function doesn't introduce any additional post processing effects, and photo modes are different from game to game, and that is clearly a screenshot taken in-game.

We get it, PC hasn't had any high end games in terms of visuals in a long time, but the rest of gaming has moved on. Games do look that good these days.

Face it, the Playstation is the only one that has bullshot modes.

The sad thing is, while the fanboys delude themselves in console wars, (((guess who))) laughs their way to the bank?

JPG: usually better compression rate, but lossy.
PNG: usually worse compression, but lossless.
Use the one that suits your need (data size vs quality).

its game dependent you retard

I'm not seeing anything wrong with those images. JPEG is fine so long as you don't need clear definition between extremely contrasting colors.
Is your problem that it doesn't upscale to 4k?

That's not how it works. You use JPEG for complex imagery because it performs best when compressing that sort of data. You can have a really high quality JPEG with no noticeable loss to the human eye and still be decently compressed.

PNG works best for simple imagery with a small amount of colors, the more colors it has to deal with the less efficient it becomes, a photograph saved in PNG is huge relatively to a JPEG and there will not be significant differences to the human eye. It's also a good format for transparency, JPEG does not support transparency.

Isn't PNG mostly for vectors? It's pointless for detailed pictures like screenshots of a game that has almost no cell shading.

To trigger autists like you.

My limited understanding is that PNG is best for extreme contrast as JPG will average the color at the boundary with is preferable for photos but terrible for text.

And stopped reading there

I don't give a fuck what the creator of GIF says. If he wanted it to be pronounced JIF, he should have named it the Jizz Interleave Format like the faggot he is.

This has to be fucking bait.

Look at it with your eyes, now look at the file size.
Now realize you can save any extension without loss if you aren't casual scum.

What an innovating "open world" game, truly GOTY right here.

He probably thinks MS Paint is the only graphics editor there is.

JPEG with appropriate compression level.

GIF

PNG

JPEG photo of a highly compressed JPEG photo of a highly compressed JPEG photo of someone's iPhone screenshot

I won't take any fucking advice from that image when it's in .jpg despite how .png would not only be visibly higher quality, but would also probably be smaller filesize due to how .png handles low detail, low color images.

Too bad webm is rapidly taking its place even though it's vastly superior for allowing sound too.

Because

Yes, yes, but doesn't change the fact that JPEG is a lossy format, while PNG supports lossless compression. For complex images (specially if they have a lot of blue tones), it can look as good as uncompressed to the human eye. But information is lost on the compression process.

I once took a photo of one of those pictures, recorded video footage of that photo, took a screenshot of the player, took a picture of that screenshot, printed it from an inkjet printer, then scanned the printout and saved it as a GIF.

I miss the times when GIF's patent was being tightly enforced, so animated gifs were rare. Now I have to use the ToggleAnimatedGif browser extension to not go completely nuts.

There's a difference between needing animation and a video being appropriate user. You wouldn't use a webm for a button you wanted to shimmer on hover, for example. Unless I'm misreading your post.

What websites are you visiting?

Animated gifs are EVERYWHERE nowdays. Really annoying.

No they aren't. What websites are you visiting?

The fuck you talking about? In 1995 animated gifs were everywhere and I doubt you are talking about earlier.

Not everywhere, because of monthly bandwidth limits on free hosting services like Geocities, Xoom, and similar shit. But yes, poorly animated gifs were commonplace, but there was a sweet spot in the timeline where they vanished for a while, and only came back because Compuserve stopped enforcing their patent or something like that.

I just like P-N-Gs because I'm an autist that cannot stand losing color quality no matter what. Why the fuck would anyone want to bother looking at a shitty J-PEG when they could be looking at a mint condition PING.

1. Disk space limits
2. Bandwidth limits

You're talking out your ass, seriously, please stop

yeah, if it was still 1999

literally never had this problem except if I'm on my phone with no wifi

It's much of a blessing when playing fap bait games. You know that game that's been talked a lot recently.

Because there is a considerably large difference in quality between JPG and PNG for game screenshots. It can mean the difference between a clean and clear shot versus a blotchy and uncouth shot.

Can you give examples instead of bullshitting your way?

Open up any game of your choice and take screenshots. Some in JPG, others in PNG. You'll see that the JPG files are riddled with artifacts.

You didn't, but the companies who have to pay for disk storage and bandwidth costs did.

JPEG loses quality, by definition. PNG can be compressed without loss in quality, also by definition. Depending on the picture, your eye may not notice the difference.

I want to see this 'considerably large difference in quality'. Show me the highest quality of the same image in both format.

There is literally nothing wrong with saving screens as .jpg.

DOES IT LOOK LIKE AH' KNOW WHAT A JAY PEE GEE IS?

Okay, here.

And jpeg.

TRUE FACT but JPEG can compress losslessly too. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG#JPEG_compression

Are you seriously being a bitch as usual? I said best quality not best compression.

key word here is can. i would rather have a 3mb png than at 200kb jpg any day.

500gb lol

The jpeg makes it look more cinematic

i can't see it, im really trying here but i can't see it. specially not with that shitty size.

You can't see the artifacts? Here, compare flags - one's a black/green blob, whereas another preserves the heraldry on the cloth.

they're both blobs of green and black

Pick two nurds.

*shows pictures
Hmm

because png is cancer

I recommend reading glasses.

box and mudkip

PS3 does what PS4 doesn't.

Also since this conversation is half worth something here are 2 sets of game comparisons.
the .PNGs are lossless, the .jpegs are using the latest GIT version of mozjpeg (the world's best jpeg encoder that can be used in real time) with -dct float (higher quality images with slightly slower compression time) and the -quality setting on 90 (word of mouth standard for the optimal quality jpegs). JPEGs can look acceptable, but shouldn't be used for graphical comparisons. The main issue with quality when it comes with jpeg is programs and devices using old, bad or their own encoders while setting the quality setting too low. Next up is some at "-quality 75" which is the default.

Try not using 2 images at different res, and also so small.

Silver Knight and box. Use Silver Knight to open said box.

Are you genuinely retarded OP?

By the way this is what's inside the silver box.

Use Silver Knight to smash contents of box, and go about my day.

Know what OP? I'm in such a good mood today, I'll even teach you how to change it to save as PNGs instead of those gritty awful JPGs.

better compression and smaller files, i guess

/thread
Incredible how you faggots a goddamn debate over something that can and was solved in one single post.

-quality 75 and -dct float

But that's fucking retarded, Steve.

Ew…

That image is completely wrong about "when to use X or Y"
You should use JPGs if you want small file sizes and don't care as much about quality (although every bit of it is nice). Lossless is when you want quality. Nothing more, nothing less. Rarely, GIF works better than PNG for lossless compression of images with 256 colors or less.

I thought it would be a good purchase, but the car doesn't fit NFS's style and it also performs like shit. Had to rice it for style points, too.

There's in option in the system settings to force saving screenshots as .png.

Your numbers, do they count as double dubs?

Because there is nothing wrong with jpg, png isn't some type of jpg 2.0 and you have no idea what you're talking about.

AM I THE ONLY ONE HERE WHO KNOWS HOW TO CHANGE IT TO PNG?

There's a fucking option in the settings to change it to PNG you double dingus

No it isn't. The pronunciation of the 'g' is not restricted to its pronunciation in the word 'graphics.'

Then why is "gift" pronounced gift, while "gif" is pronounced jif? It makes no sense from a linguistic standpoint.

You're not gonna have a good time user.

Since when was photographic pronounced potograph?

well i do notice a minimal difference here, but who cares really?

also look at the filesizes, for that barely noticeable difference, the .png is 2mb while the .jpg is 300kb. stop being autistic, yes you

jesus christ you autists. Thread's been answered and done.

Bat and Statue
Everything else is gay and stupid.

I can see the difference between shots. PNG is much sharper and doesn't compress some of the colors and textures. It's not huge or super noticeable at first glance.

The difference is much more noticable at a first glance.

It does make a difference in terms of showing off the quality visuals of a game. Colors muted, loss in texture quality and a slight blur around some objects.

why do you have a ps4, and why do you have that pleb shit excuse of vidya?

This is disgusting

As if. There's still artifacts there you fucking idiot.

Yeah jpeg is pretty annoying. Look around the fonts in particular.

I'm torn between the fucking statue and the bat thing.

knight and kipz for me then

it's not working, my browser doesn't support this witchery

/p/ here, .jpg is fine, but only converted from .raw

famalam
bet you shoot on auto
and edit on your fagbook 3000

BMP does have RLE if anyone bothers to read the format, they really should save them as PCX or TIFF to be different and you get lossless in both though PNG was made for that.

You might not have autism!
CELEBRATE!

I prefer to save pictures in high resolution and .jpg because the file size is small and the quality is basically the same, .png need to be the second choice for specific momments but the .jpg need to be the default since i don't want to lost free space for .png if the quality is basically the same but let the .png choice for the 3 or 5 momments you need this when aren't for my linux icons or crop images to create layout.

Since when is the G in Graphics pronounced as a J sound?

I want to fuck that smug.

Those JPEGs really aren't high quality at all though, stop pretending you know shit.

All this social shit.

And they dedicated a button for it.

I feel old. I just play games.

These look not that better than Gothic 3.
Imagine pic being processed by modern PC with length of view and landscape done properly. Trees definetly would look better than that black blobs.

Wew lad