Hollow Knight Thread

Has Holla Forums played Hollow Knight yet?

Personally it's my favourite game so far this year. although it has minor issues, mostly technical, the game has presented an excellent metroidvania worth playing.

I beat it recently and here are non-biased pros and cons

Pros:
+Game is very immersive. Hand Drawn Animations are very nice. Sound Effects are well placed, good effects, attention to background and front of screen
+Gameplay is fluid
+crazy amount of enemies and bosses
+ grabs the good things from Dark Souls and incorporates them to the atmosphere
+The Hit the enemies for Soul is a good incentive to smack the enemies. The Soul mechanic in general rewards good gameplay, kind of like Press Turn gameplay rewards hitting weak points. However it can get easy against enemies with adds.
+30+ hours of metroidvania for true ending
+Sound effects are really well placed. Game can be immersive with headphones
+replayability with different pins and steel soul mode

Cons:
- Glitches here and there since game just came out and indie, but nothing game breaking
- Not much elaboration on weapons. Just your nail and spells, and you get 3 spells (howling banshee, vengeful spirit, the down slam) Although the customization mainly comes from equipping pins, a variety of different weapons for standard attack would've been great, or pins that affect your Nail outside of just length
- Coloseum, as well as saving many grubs, don't give rewards. This is mainly because of previous point. There aren't many weapon variety, so there aren't many upgrades to get. I believe more pin notches would've spiced up the game

Subjective:
-I personally dislike the motion-stop when getting hit, since it interrupts gameplay. Same with acid water not being constant damage instead and giving black screen. I understand the spikes since its used for puzzles later on, but the acid water shouldn't black screen. Same with the audio going low when hit, it's silly. The game would be more fast paced with less interruptions.
- Final boss could've have one more phase. Speaking of bosses, many instances where potentials for boss fights (the hive, the 3 guardians, etc) but there was no boss fight. I know it's a barely kickstarted indie game, but still.

With that said this game is still excellent and definitely worth playing. Beautiful, satisfying, non-linear, upgrade hunting, enjoyable simple and clean combat.

I definitely recommend playing it. So pirate/buy/buy-then-refund if you enjoy metroidvanias. It's been a while since I played a proper metroidvania and this one will satisfy.

Yes, you recommended me in the other thread, pretty gud so far.

He's cute and I want to finger him so that's a big plus

I didn't like the voice acting.

holy shit yes I agree.
I liked the idea of using the gibberish talk, but I think it was tad too loud, to the point it could get annoying. Or sometimes its like a calm moment and the NPCs talk way too loud and jolly.
I think it could've been done better. At the same time, it makes you realize why the director of Dark Souls went with the VAs for the game being generally calm and quiet-like when they speak, not to break the atmosphere.

Got a torrent?

Is this the Night in the Woods of Dark Souls?

No, according to Polygon Ori and the blind forest id

Is the game complete or is this going to be like all those Darkest Dungeon threads when the game was still in alpha? And I second the request for a magnet

It's complete AFAIK but the dev continues to update it with stuff. Like Terraria, I guess.

I'll give it a try after I'm done with my current game.

Is it by sjws?

fuck off shill

yes

I figured.

Way to CHERRY pick ^∆^

Holy Christ, is it so annoying when people describe a game using dark souls. Dark souls was a 7/10 at best, same with this game if not lower. If you want to shill a game know your fucking audience.

How are you normally supposed to get into the Watcher's Spire? I assume you need some sort of double jump powerup, but I just sequence broke into the area because Longnail is the single most busted charm in the game.

You saying they don't follow them?

Hi, new/v/, fitting well? Getting (you) as you like it? Have some more (you), it's on me.

3h and half in, it's pretty solid so far.

Gamergaters go back to your containment thread.
Bump.

Half a dozen boss attempts later and I've been informed by a friend that I've skipped several powers, upgrades, and over half the charms in the game that I could/should have to take this battle on.
It turns out that if you aren't a casual you can do it with Dash, Walljump, and the charms Quick Focus and Longnail.

I like this touch of having the boss' corpse still there hours after I won the battle.

Damn.

All the combat skill in the world might have let me best 2/3rds of the game with nothing more than a cape and hook, but I am absolutely bamboozled and butt-blasted trying to figure out how to get into the actual Fog Canyon to finish off these sleeping fuckwits.
I have discovered a truly stupendous amount of side/optional content just trying to figure out how to progress the story.

Scratch that, I found a way in.
You only need 3 items to beat the game normally: The Cloak, The Hook, and The Tear.
If you want to go deeper, you need to head to the far east of the map, as far as you can go, with those items.

Yeah, gameplay is shit.
It tries to carry itself on art style alone, but it smells tumblr too much.
I didn't see any redeeming qualities within the first hour so I uninstalled it.

I've found that the gameplay really opens up after the first two areas, both in the combat and platforming aspects, but if you want a game that has a less sluggish opening in the same genre, I suggest Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight–

Nevermind you aren't actually here to discuss or play videogames. Go back to your webm thread, faggot.

Wow, I didn't even want to trigger anyone today.
I'll look into them momodoras though, I though they were more of a meatboy kind of deal.

Sorry, after all the (1) and done shitposts in this thread I figured you were just baiting and abandoning the thread.

Moonlight is the fourth in the series if I remember correctly, but you don't need to play the previous games to understand it. I think the others were puzzler-platformers, but I've never gotten around to playing them.

That actually looks cool. Thanks for the heads up.

i fucking love this game, just the random fps drops is what fucked me over a few times. havent had this much fun since super metroid. I like how it doesnt hold your hand and it doesnt tell you what to do except when tracking down the ghosts. and i love the deep underground, those fuckin spiders crawiling in the background had me on the edge. I love this song.

you should be fine, the boss to get to the watcher is pretty easy, though if you havent upgraded your nail, its gonna take a while to take em out.

No, they are action platformers, too motherfucking hard and no puzzles (until where I played). Reverie looks like casual shit next to the first one, but the metroidvania and art really makes it shine more.

It has 0 SJW things in the game.

Game has heavy influence upon it, mainly on atmosphere and that's it.

Gameplay is actually very fluid. You're trying too hard to shitpost for the sake of it.

Queen's Garden is via Fog's Canyon.

Fog Canyon is via Fungal Wastes.

I just realized you're retarded.
It doesn't incorporate anything bad from, or anything from DaS gameplay wise since its a metroidvania. Moreover, nobody is comparing it or telling DaS-fans to play it. It's a metroidvania. You're the biggest preumptious faggot I've seen for awhile.Sad.

finished the white palace, and holy shit that is rage inducing section.

Pharaoh Rebirth kicks this game's ass.

Why SJW propaganda "games" are suddenly allowed?

In what way is this SJW propaganda and why is it not a "game"?

Fuck off shill.

user pls.

I just want to know if I should keep pirating this at a blistering 50kb/s or not.

Fucking dualists, I swear.

I don't get the dumb fucking faggots comparing this shit to Dank Memes.
This borrows absolutely no mechanics from DkS except the death penalty.
This game doesn't have any way to dodge, no i-frames, no parrying, but somehow it's "muh dark souls xxxxD".

It's just another indie metroidvania but with cute hand-drawn art. It's pretty cut and dry as to whether or not it's going to be your kind of thing, user.

Stop being such a massive retard before calling others retarded next time.

I think it is, the gameplay is good if you are into metroidvania or platformers, it's not short and speaking about sjw stuff, I haven't noticed any. Keep in mind that initial gog version had bug with colosseum, so get 1.0.0.6 version which is out on torrents now. hope it'll fix my saves

You answered yourself, user, they are dumb fucking faggots, why care

I merely stated it incorporated the atmospheric direction of a game. This doesn't mean I'm comparing it to that game.

You're not very bright, are you?

Official version is 1.0.1.1

You compared the atmosphere to DS. Are you just pretending to be fucking stupid?

Thank god I'm not 4bd1e9.

The White palace was really fun. Just use the hiveblood charm and it is easy peasy. I liked that he made it an entire section and not just a little mini-dungeon.

i didnt have the hivemind charm at that point since i hadnt explored that area completely. i used jonnee charm the one that give you plus 4 health points, plus the healthy charm that gives you plus 2. i couldnt heal but there were sections where you couldnt replenish your energy so i said fuck healing, just gimme more chances to keep goin and i fucking finally did it. it gave this feeling from zelda princess twilight when you enter the temple of time.

Out of curiosity, are pins equivalent to badges in Paper Mario?

yeah, they enhance your abilities and attacks in different ways, you can only have so many depending on the pin slot though, some take up to 4 slots

I also thought the same when I first played the game
funny how Holla Forums reaches the same thoughts by themselves
THey are pretty much like badges, yes. They all give unique things, and there's also the upgrades if you wanna spend the slots on those (Making Sword longer reach, more powerful spells, less soul cost on attacks, etc)

There's useful 1 slot ones like the Grub charm that gives you soul when attacked. or steady body

fucking fanboys,i swear

The artstyle is tumblr tier shit and the gameplay is HOLLOW.

i see what you did there

Told you.

Why mentally ill people allowed here anyway? I mean except for the autists.

To be honest, you are right, I just don't get your triggering, what is wrong with comparing similar aspects of two games? It's legitimately Miyazaki inspired atmosphere.

I didn't compare the atmosphere to DS.I stated it incorporated good aspects of a game to another game.
Even If I was actually truly comparing the atmospheres, there's nothing wrong with that. The autist is autistically screeching about semantics or shitposting. Either makes him a faggot.

Daily reminder that almost every time you think you're doing the right thing in this game is actually making things worse.

the soul tyrant is raping me hard

Ended up trying this since I never heard of it before this thread. I really like it. Music is good, art is good, bosses are fun. You're given plenty of goals and lots of freedom opens up pretty quickly. Plus it's refreshing to see something that isn't pixelshit.

Currently playing through pic related.

How does it compare? I heard that there are missable collectibles.

Except that's not true.

Incorporating elements from other games means it's going to bear some similarity OP. Don't be dense.

Yet I never allured to similarities or elaborated upon them. He is still extrapolating. And ultimately, even if that was the case, does it really matter? no, user is just shitposting.
I honestly prefer Hand Drawn animations over indie pixelshit

I like the re-fights you get when hitting boss corpses with Dream Nail. They feel like a good test of execution and pattern recognition, and are long enough you can't just spam attack while taking hits. I wish more bosses had them.

Yeah, I think if I was to stop being a lazy shit and make a game it might be in a hand-drawn style.