1 week, 1 vidya - Thread #2 Outcast

The purpose of this thread is to have a new game to play roughly every week so that we can discover new stuff and talk about it.
This week we're going to try Outcast.

Magnet link :
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:515b62102e3c5825f6053cd3443548846dd307e6&dn=Outcast+1.1+%28GOG%29&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fpublic.popcorn-tracker.org%3A6969

It's a 1999 semi open-world third person shooter in a sci-fi setting. It was developed by belgians and published by frogs so I don't expect something that takes itself very seriously.

It seems to work without any problems (1.1 is a re-release of the game for modern systems). Remember to run the patch located in the download folder.
If the game runs slow for some reason, it may be because the game failed to identify the correct number of CPU cores, you can change it manually in Settings -> Advanced -> Max Voxel Threads.

Trying new games comes with the risk that sometimes it's not going to be very good.

Archive of the previous threads :
archive.is/wTk5B - Valdis Story : Abyssal City
archive.is/PPPOx - The Suffering

Huh and here i thought there was nothing that could pleasantly surprise me anymore

It was popular around its release but for some reason mid-2000s I barely heard of it anymore. Maybe it was because the game was highly regarded mostly for its technical aspect, I guess we'll find out if it's still fun today.

I remember my brother and I being crazy about the snow sounds when I came out. It was the first time we acknowledged the power of good sound design.

Here you go lad.
Sorry about the shit framerate, I'm playing on a portable toaster.

Holy shit! I've been looking for this game since I was twelve! I played a demo and was fascinated by walking in the snow, but I couldn't find a copy of the game and eventually forgot the name! Thanks for reminding me!

Amazing game with an amazing soundtrack. I cannot state that enough.

Wello, have it installed, may as well get around to finishing 1.1.

This'll be interesting.

I got this downloaded and haven't touched it. No excuse now.

Outcast was a 2nd rate action adventure even when it came out. It was just sold on graphics, due to the voxel peculiarity I mean, and people bashed it for consolization.

I played it, 15 years ago. Now it's just a waste of time.

Aw shit, thanks, man. This took me back.
Maybe I'll give it a go.

So how do you end the sneaking test? I did it in every way I thought possible, but I can't seem to end it. Picking up the fruit is easy though.

Maybe if you kill yourself, you'd at least amount to mediocre fertilizer to some fruit plant somewhere. It was never released for consoles, with the Dreamcast version planned after release never reaching production.

I guess this is what it feels like when you unlock easy mode in DMC3 without knowing how to unlock easy mode.

I'd think it as failure if I hadn't run seventy laps around him, talked to everyone in the village, went back to the square, then snuck up and talked to him (which failed the test because he saw me). I have no idea how to end the test because any way you do it is a failstate.

The game's environments are pretty good. Also, since all the NPCs are making a big deal about nonviolence, I though I was gonna get shit for killing the enemies. Dosen't seem to be the case though, after I beat up a few soldiers with my fists (game seems to count that as a death), and my reputation hasn't gone down, nor has it gone up. I guess it's safe to use my gun, then.

Oh boy

kek.
I had a hard time with the sneaking test too, apparently you need to get the fruit, stand in front of him standing and wait for him to talk to you. Sometimes he doesn't do anything though.

I don't think killing enemies count towards your alignment indeed.

Alright, let's see what this shitshow is all about.

It's a great flawed game. It did a lot of things no one else was even close to do, kind of like that Jurasic Park game, but not as bad.

oy vey

Quite the irony, but that doesn't even matter because a consolized game is one which PLAYS like those on consoles. Not one which is exclusive to them.

I wish you newfags weren't so starved for decent games, that you went and drool around any shit that pops up. The retro kids are making this place insufferable, you are nothing but the sons of the 8bit retro generation.

Glad to see that this game has not been forgotten. Have a friendly bump.

kek smiles upon you user

I wasn't going to say anything, but Outcast is definitely a game that would be called "consolized" back in the day. Theres a lot with the menus and talking mechanics that definitely gives off a big fat console feeling to it.

I should note that this game is being remade by some of the original devs as Outcast - Second Contact.

I thought that project was cancelled a long while ago. They were using Cryengine the last time I check.

I think the plaque says you can climb all mountains.

What a shame, that looks neat.

I did hear that the original devs bought back the IP and I doubt it was just to re-release the game so unless the project is a mess it may happen at some point.

My nigga. One of the best games I ever played.

It's a great game, I played it a lot when I was a kid, knew that big city like the back of my hand.

If you talk I think to the elder of the first non-tutorial village he tells you that the warrior caste can be killed without problems since they're evil, you only get shit if you kill laborers and craftsmen.

Damn that snow levels looks really comfy, I might download the game.

Fug, I used too much ammo and there's still a lot of enemies left. Shouldn't have shot those fucking spiders so much.

Doesn't seem like the dev studio has closed so maybe it's still ongoing but don't know what the hell they're doing. It's an ambitious project if you have relatively low funds and I doubt the 1.1 sales gave them enough money to sustain themselves.

What ? Wew

I'll take a guess. You live in France?

too much grog or just a few feathers short of a parrot?

Why France ?

Probably because its a muslim country, but considering the time he posted he is probably from Argentina or something.

I-I don't understand user.

i played a demo of this game around the time it released and found it extremely strange.
let's see how it will fare after almost two decades of refining my tastes in gaming.

We're not a third world shithole yet.

I have the original CDs of Outcast to this day

Never played past the first mission

Is Zalinas a scalie ? Webm very related.
The game really makes me feel like a retard because I keep forgetting what some words mean, at least the quest log is simple but effective so I'm not completely lost.

Visit the guy in pic related in the village. He will be able to craft ammo with all the garbage you can collect everywhere. Also see those yellow sticks in the Riss fields ? Apparently they're supply drops so you can walk on them to get items or ammo. By the way don't forget to climb on that mountain in the middle of the water with a nest on it, there a couple of ammo boxes up there.

I don't know where I can upgrade my weapons though. Maybe it's only some Recreators that can.

There's an in-game dictionary that constantly get's updated, I forget the shortcut directly to it, but you can access it through the "v" button, which also holds the other menus. There are some terms it's leaving out, such as enemy names, likely for when a NPC directly explains to you what they are.

Yeah I did see that there was a Lexicon but some stuff isn't written on it (maybe just for now). Also lots of names and I'm very bad with them but at least in vidya I don't have the awkwardness of trying to suss out the name of the person I've forgotten through trickery because I'm too embarassed to say I forgot.

I think the best part about all this is that the guy explaining this to you never actually goes to them because he is "sick" every time it happens.

Fucking frogs and belgians man I swear

I've been wanting to give it a go. I hear it's the only good voxel game besides Delta Force.

Found out why you and I couldn't understand shit. The devs were autistic enough to give them a language.

What about Minecraft my good lad :^)

I-I'm not following you, user.

Probably a place where people sell pirated shit on physical formats, I've seen it many times.

I feel like a cheeky merchant to be honest.

How do you kill the giant fish behind the temple ? It spawns rarely and guns don't seem to work, I've also tried a dynamite and it didn't work either.
I really need to find where I can upgrade my gun, having to reload every few bullets sucks.

The boss tells you to not try until you can find some way of fighting underwater. Also, have you found Naarn yet? that's the only other thing I have to do besides finding the essence idols to please the villagers and the man taking care of the puberty well.

Naarn comes out of one of the portals in the middle and instantly dies, giving you the last essence idol.

This looks terrible, I must try it.

Nah haven't found Naarn yet but one of the idols is probably in the main temple.

I will check those trips and say that I've actually been enjoying it but I don't have spent much time on it so there is always the novelty of it.

Its not that bad really, kind of unconventional and feels like an RPG kinda. You can go anywhere at any time and start doing missions if you want to. I've pretty much finished the Rice Fields and the Desert town now. Waterworld has proper started too.

even if it's retarded I really laughed my ass off at this one
I've also noticed that if you ask a talan to talk about someone when he's close he'll say that he can't speak about him since he might hear him, real fucking neato

MY WIFE'S SON

I'm almost done with the first area, what is the chest in one of the village houses for ? Is it related to a quest ?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who laughed at this retarded joke.

There's a guy in the desert city that can upgrade weapons.

Alright thanks lad, makes it easier for me.

Chest in house is to get the tablet which you take to one of the geezers to get some scribbles on it and…

You failed this thread.

Sorry man, but I'm just making sure mine works first before any screenshots.

*alright, disabled intro and will play later today with you guys.

Fucking belgians.

You mean the dialog ? Sorry senpai, if I'm not too lazy tomorrow and I remember to do it I'll record the whole thing.

Is the user that wanted to do the next thread still up for it ?

These trips show us the right spirit.
It's one of those games that just says "fuck it, let's try something different that might end up fucking our dick".
Plenty of shitty moments due to the animations and scripts not triggering, but you'll forget them fast after noticing how the game really doesn't hold your hand.
They tell you stuff that you gotta remenber or read a glossary for, there's a map but it doesn't have convenient icons or quest arrows and even the fast travel system is something you gotta take care of or it's gonna be useless for you.

Not just that, if you ask someone for directions to find someone else, they'll tell you a location if it's far away but they'll actually point in his direction if he is nearby. It's fucking amazing.

Also, for user's that might be having trouble with the items…
There are 3 items you can get at some point for fast travel. They look the same with a different symbol and they work like this:
You use them once and a small pyramid is dropped in the ground. You use them again and you travel back to that beacon, automatically picking it up.
Properly using these things can cut down on travel time a lot.

Also, you'll get some item that seems to have no use, just a remote. You can use it on mines you've placed on the ground or even dynamite to remotely set it off, instead of firing at them, which also sets them off.

Of note is that it's a pretty great idea to murder all the bad ayy lmaos and find the keys around the map. There's a few houses that you can use those keys to gain acess (I forgot but I think you can blow the door too) and there's a ton of ammo and items inside.

Also, combat is easy, just remenber your superpower: strafing.
AI does not take your movement into account and there's no projectile leading or prediction, just keeping moving around while you do just that and you'll murder entire worlds.

I would say it does because you can always press N and then go ask someone where person X is. But compared to CURRENT YEAR… yeah.

Don't forget the part where he eplains that he's a virgin, that's the best part.

One of the f# keys shows the controls, so it's not that bad, You can also change the controls in the launcher apparently.

kyaa~~ im late for class

Who's making the next bread ?

Andromeda has humbled me with but a few videos as to the nature of how to make a man's eyes bleed.

Fucking kek. 1999 vs 2017.

Another user said he wanted to make the next thread. From now on if possible the OP changes every week, I'm sure folks have plenty of ideas for games to play.
There's a couple of days left though so no rush.

I think I finished everything that needed to be done in Shamazaar, I've started the desert area and met with a friendly happy (((merchant))) who sells you stuff that belongs to you. In the dialog he says that some of his stuff can be found in the wild, is he only talking about the items are can I also find the weapons ? Oh and by the way does giving the beggar money do anything ? My guess is that it's just to nudge your alignment towards good but maybe it unlocks something.

Sorry lad, the dialog wasn't accessible anymore when I went to see Zeo again. I got the recording of the dialog with the happy merchant though but the audio goes out of sync whenever I try to convert it to webm.

There is a beggar that gives you stuff instead and you can give him money (or not) afterwards. The rest I don't know.

Really makes u think

Oh my god! I was wrong! It was earth! All along!

You finally made a monkey out of me!

You finally made a monkey out of meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Seriously I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

I think the Shamaz in the first village said that originally there was both Talan and Ancients (or Guardians I don't remember) on Adelpha but Ancients were cast out because they didn't respect nature or something like that. Would tie with the name of the game too.

DEEPEST LORE

The area where you find your crashed ship has a lot of items underwater. I think as you progress you can find the weapons too but if you want them early you gotta give shekels to the merchant.

Yeah maybe, its one of those clichés you can't help but have in the back of your head these days. I have 3 mons now, but I think I've lost most of the interest I had in completing the game. Suckssss.

Alright on the way to get the last mon. Goddamn getting those pipes…

Alright its over. I did it… well the game crashed during the final cutscene so I watched the last of it on youtube instead of loading a save 30 minutes behind, but all the gameplay was done.

Guess it really wasn't earth all along, what a twist.

That was fast, I only just finished everything I could do in the Talanzaar so I'm going to Okasankaar. I expected as much on your spoiler, I have something else in mind but we'll see how it goes.

When you go to Okaar, don't kill the guy who shows up as red on the map. I learned that the hard way.

Also always keep in mind your main objective is to get the mons primary and stopping the supplies secondary.

There are a ton of sidequests I didn't do (your image included). Though I did do a bunch and it seems like you get rewarded depending on how many you do later on. At least you get in a dialogue that says something like that.

I see, thanks. I really had a good laugh on some of the characters in the city, mainly weed man and the trap who asks you for a loan.
Also after talking to the trap you can ask other people in the city if he's a boy or a girl and right when they're going to answer the get a stroke or something like that. Simpler times.

There's a guy in one of the mines you can go to that loves his job. His quest is pretty fun. In general the game has some good humour here and there and its always refreshing to see when a lot of the game is dry.

So it seems that the remaster still isn't ded because there was some new information released about the game recently. They were probably a bit too optimistic about the time that remaking a game like this in the current year would take.
Despite what I thought the game's "fame" didn't rely just on the voxel tech, I enjoyed my time on it even though it's technically outdated today.

If the user that wanted to make the thread is here, pls respond. Otherwise if anyone else wants to make the next thread feel free and tell me, I'm sure there's some games you guys have in mind.

Personally I'm in a place where right now I can't motivate myself to do anything and barely play games (should end soon though) so I'm just parasiting off these threads in order to motivate me to play something since there's a time limit and everything. Its perfect for me because otherwise I just look straight out into the air.

tl;dr: I don't have any ideas, I am a parasite.

I get the same feeling sometimes too, usually have to take a break from vidya or have a to find a new game that I really like. Last time I went into an autistic binge reading of Fukumoto's mangos and went right back to vidya afterwards (by the way, Strongest Man Kurosawa is really a good read if you wanna give it a go).

If nobody wants to make the next bread then I guess I'll make it some time tomorrow though I don't really know what game to choose.

I´ve got some recommendations
Hogs of War (a 3D "Worms" clone, PS1)
Naval Ops: Warship Gunnner (Action game where you can build your own ships, PS2)
Perimeter: Emperors Testament (RTS with deformable terrain, PC)
CivCity: Rome (Citybuilder, PC)
or Iji (Metroidvania, PC) seeing as it has gotten an update very recently

Want to make the thread ? I know none of this game so this should be interesting.
If it's emulation and requires special plugin config don't forget to put it in the OP

I hope I did everything correct

Looking good.