What a digital age we live in (Day 1 patch bash topic)

>Want to restart Smash Bros. 4 with vanilla version
>Proceed to deletes all Smash related files on 3DS and SD card
>Proceed to play vanilla Smash Bros. 4
And, no, I haven't spent any money on the DLC.

This really shows how games have evolved, though it really scares me. Years from now, when a number of these games are bought second hand, and their patch servers are inaccessible or shut down, how many titles will become completely unplayable without having to mod the game.

Yeah, in regards to, say, the PS3, I do hope that people make an effort to preserve patches (along with the games themselves) so that stuff like ZoE HD is actually still playable in the future, should the PS3's PSN connection/servers be taken down eventually.

Really though, while patches do provide an alternative to physical recalls, it really just seems to encourage devs to get lazy, as opposed to only being used when truly necessary. Rather than release a game that's as polished as can be by the time they start running prints, they adopt a "but we can just patch it later" mentality, resulting in the launch versions of games being buggy or unfinished, requiring patches to make them better or even remotely enjoyable to play. And with Day One patches it's a REAL big indicator that the game shipping out with a lack of QA, as in the meantime they took the opportunity to actually test the game and find what was wrong and fix it in the hope it's not broken as of day one.

Except that most games with such patches check the servers first to see if there is a patch before forcing you to patch it. If these servers were to go down, the system would most likely see it as "no patches required" and let you play.

More likely it would just lock you out of playing the game until it could connect.

Remember the gamespy shutdown, how many video games with multiplayer it crippled into being singleplayer only?

OP does it hurt to be that fucking retarded?

this is why people shouldn't have enabled gamespy in the first place tbh. it's like a mini version of the console dilemma where if you support them you're only helping them fuck you over

Did the PS3 scene even bother with patches/DLC?

when was lucas added?
and jesus christ, that isabella costume is morbid

Same thing happened when I booted up RDR recently.

WELL THAT'S WHY WE HAVE EXPLOITS AND PIRACY user

it's not because you hate giving money to the jews well maybe partly, they do it because they want to archive all of the patches and DLC released for future generations to enjoy!

Wait, there's fucking archives of DLC?

well yes user, you can download them from the share thread or 3DSiso.com

That's more a fault of the game having one save file that it automatically loads on boot up rather than the fact that online patching exists. While it's bullshit, you still hold some responsibility for not deleting the save file before deleting all the dlc.

Neat, hopefully I don't have to do too much.

Gamespy games continued to live on after the shutdown thanks to LAN emulating services like GameRanger.

Did someone say Day 1 Patch?
I think someone said Day 1 Patch.

What better way to make money than by continuously releasing the same game, but for new hardware? Sure, the meme is that all of these series are all the same game anyways, but now they can cut out even the tiny bit of effort needed to make a new entry! Pure Profit!

Don't forget Openspy, it's the only reason the online functions of most PS2 games are being preserved.

Please tell me it's literally this fucking broken.

Thing was, game spy was server finding service. Multiplayer games and dedicated servers could still work. It took a few tweaks and alternate server finding services to be developed to fix this.

For consoles this will be much worse and harder to fix. Anything is possible as long as people want to make the stuff. Dreamcast servers for various games still work despite sega net being gone.

Yeah dude, that's why the launch went up like a fart in church. Even better is that the kikes who pushed this trash wanted for price for it.

Any images?

The game was a literal cash grab and nothing more. They weren't even trying to be subtle about it, the game was released the day their Tony Hawk license expired.