Give me your ultimate vision of a vidya that embodies the bright colors, cocaine...

Give me your ultimate vision of a vidya that embodies the bright colors, cocaine, and violence that is the nostalgic 80s. Make these new games; don't just dump the Hotline Miami boxart and call it a day.

/thread

I'll bite, I had this idea a while ago.
Basically a knight-rider game where you're the car and the entire game is driving around 80s inspired retrofuture dystopia like Driver SF but without the GTA-tier possession mechanic.
You start out as a self-driving taxicab and overtime develop sentience and a relationship with a few regular customers that task you with doing more and more outrageous things as they become more aware of the fact you are self-aware and might deviate from programmed responses more.
At some point you realize you've been disconnected from the system running the dystopia and AI cops come after you, final boss is a psychedelic racing sequence against the AI cops inspired by the short-film in neotokyo series called "running man" which I have embedded here.

Now all I need to do is learn C++, familiarize myself with openGL, learn 3D modeling, and make OP his dreamgame :^)

That sounds great and all but how exactly would you simulate that development of sentience over time in the game? Sounds like it'd make a better movie than a game.

This doing it for ya?

The player would discover it on their own, by being allowed to do more and more outrageous shit that he'd get punished for in the earlygame like going off-route, crashing into shit, taking alternate routes et-al.
The game would start off very restricted by the car's limits and slowly those limits would be removed and replaced with game mechanics(like the ability to deploy some kind of air-boost and drive on two wheels through tight spots that were previously inaccessible when the car was limited)
It would occasionally also have audio cues like the car questioning the requests of a customer after some limits have been unlocked.
This would all be done organically, ie there would come a point where the car would need to deviate off-course and the player would discover he's no longer getting punished for deviation.

Sounds fair enough.

WHEN I WAS A SMALL CHILD
OBSESSED WITH THE FUTURE

Is it ever explained why he can do this or is it just "lel powerful and connected means you have direct powergrid access"?

FAST CARS
AND WOMEN
AND HAIR METAL
AND BOOZE
AND CIGARETTES
AND DRUGS
AND SYNTHWAVE
AND A SINISTER BUSINESS MAN ANTAGONIST WITH HORDES OF GOONS
AND HOVERBOARDS
AND THROW EDDIE MURPHY IN THERE SOMEHOW
AND A QT GRILL LOVE INTEREST
AND A NERDY BUT LOVABLE SIDEKICK
AND CHINESE GANG VIOLENCE
You are a character named Radical Charles and you have twin desert eagles and you're a clerk at a downtown convenience store until one day a tough no-nonsense thug enters your store at the same time as some other shady individual and your store gets shot up and now the police are banging on your door looking for answers and then one night you get kidnapped and thrown into some van and taken out in the middle of nowhere and they want to kill you because you're a witness and you've seen too much but then you get saved by ninjas who were coincidentally laying siege to the remote mansion in the mountains and you escape on a riceburning asian motorcycle with some qt grill who takes you back to her dojo where you meet a master swordsman who trains you in the way of faggotry and run on sentences and you utilize your kung fu and firearm skillz to take down the street shogunate or whatever the fuck but then your grill gets kidnapped by the big bad business man guy and you have to climb his tower of hell to reach his penthouse suite and face him for the final showdown and he turns into a gigantic hell demon who uses a katana made of demonic energy and just when things look their worst for you you remember the wise words of your master and summon the power of the glow to destroy the demon and get your waifu back and then you open up a laundromat and live the of your life in peace or so you think

You're probably looking for Drift Stage and its slew of imitators. They have everything you need: vector grid landscapes, shutter shade suns, Giorno Giovanna concept cars, and faux-Vangelis discotheque music..

huuh vice city?

Emulate arcade games from the 80s.

Hotline Miami and Blood Dragon might be fun for retarded streamers, but it's time you understand they were made by millenials who learned of the 80s from the fucking Simpsons. It's all a thinly veiled attack on conservative values, associating chauvinism and parody to pre-pozzing society.

I think that a game that panders too much to this genre would get old really fast. Like, it's fun to make music, posters and such, but Neo-80s wouldn't work as a full story if it's only for the sake of… Making Neo 80s. It would probably end up like these games that have real Internet memes in it, it would be uncomfortable to sit through.

It's all around us, just look at how millenials dress, the trends of graphic design, even the in the movies

Radical Construction Worker: build houses as fast as possible to accommodate the rising populations brought on by the industrial and technological innovations culminating in the new decade.

Getting real sick of faggots latching onto the 80s.

Dont worry, we'll be heading into the 90s soon, indies are already making playstation like graphic games instead of pixels.

Patrician taste.