Vigilante 8/Car Combat Thread

I don't know if it's nostalga, but I think Car Combat is possibly one of the best dead genres ever. The fact that wikipedia lists fucking almost any game with vehicles in it as a Car Combat game is a bit disappointing.

So uhh let's talk about

Pic Related is my favorite followed by Twisted Metal 2.

Good taste, OP. Have a bump.

Definitely. One that doesn't have equivalents, too

Why did the genre have to die?

The way I see it is that Car Combat is truly dead because like I think the last Car Combat game to come out recently was like either Twisted Metal Black or that new Carmageddon Game but even then that was more racing than anything.

Car Combat was great because it was just a genuinely good time for everyone of all skill levels, with great soundtracks, surprisingly decent stories, and two things people love:

High octane fuel and explosions.

LOL

simbly ebin. how do i upvote here?

Input your credit card number in "Subject" and your full name in "Name", also your real email please
That should give me a good upvote (:

HD rerelease never ever which is for the best can you even imagine the million different ways they'd fuck it up

Yeah I miss that genre…Most recent car combat I've played was Rogue Trip with a friend of mine who never played it. Showing him Twisted Metal next, followed by some Vigilante 8. Should be fun.

PROTIP: Stick your Rouge Trip disc in a CD player to listen to The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and the game's soundtrack.

The N64 version had the superior soundtrack.

I think "vehicular combat" as a genre was an attempt to reconcile console controllers inability to do shooter mechanics well. They can do cars fine, so by mounting guns on a car you no longer feel like it's the controller holding you back, just the car itself.

As people got used to/became tolerant of console FPS, vehicular combat lost its niche and fell out of favor.

Does this counts as a Car Combat game?
Also TM: Black > TM2 > TM: Head-On (PS2 version) > TM >>>>>> TM 3 > TM4 > TM Small Brawl > TM (PS3)

WHY IS THERE NO NEW CAR COMBAT GAMES

I really want to make a Vehicular Combat game after the one im making right now

I played tons of games like these during the PS1 era

We can always play a multiplayer battle whenever you want

Played multiplayer last week with a regular group that does PS2 online + LAN tunneling.

The dedicated players for TMB:O are… odd.

P.S I had no idea what I was doing.

That said, I'm really in the mood for a game like Destruction Derby or Carmageddon.
Burnout Paradise was also kinda nice but destroying other cars was too easy. You only need to touch them while going fast enough and they instantly crash.

I got all the songs already after I first played it, but that is great though that you can play the songs with the disc. Never knew that.

I remember in the N64 version, the sound effects would completely glitch out if you played Stargazers.

nintendon'ts will never know

That was a thing in some PS1 games if they wanted to implement custom soundtracks. Grand Theft Auto 1 and Ridge Racer for example. Vigilante 8 2nd Offense on the other hand changed its audio panel when you switched the games with a music CD. Although the best part is switching the disc with a Vigilante 8 disc and switching the 2nd Offense disc back in to get all the levels from Vigilante 8.

This right here was A-1.

You guys should check out Full Auto 2: Battlelines if you have a PS3. Wish I had gotten that much earlier than I did-one of the more overlooked titles Sega's ever published.

Everyone dropped it off once mouse and keyboard meant that a full 360 degrees turret controls are now possible while driving. of course, taking your time to align your vehicle's firing arc to the enemy was a fun challenge and insisted on different means of approaching, rather than circling a bus 24/7 without bothering to line up your broadside.

meant to reply but my post went through magically