Nioh Thread

Nioh Thread

Anyone else playing this? Not seen a thread in the catalogue.
Anyway, in this thread we discuss Team Ninja's return to form with the release of Nioh, their bastard child of Souls & Onumisha. We will ask important and pertinent questions such as:
>why is it so funny listening to the japanese cast struggle with the protagonist William's name? U-riyyamu!

Iv played about 25hrs so far and am working on a medium armour spear build trying to focus on pure damage output while going for a medium armour output (was going the glass cannon route for a while but kept getting one shotted so decided to armour up) Iv got to say im very much enjoying it. I dont think its a good as souls but there are a couple of things that it does better. The combat, with its three stances and myriad unlockable moves seems deeper and more nuanced than souls, closer to bloodborne in its speed and finesse. Another nice feature is you can use a shrine bonfire to level up while you have a co-operator summoned to your world.
I was somewhat irked that the game was not open world (although in its defence, the plot taking place across the entirety of the japanese archiapelago makes open world somewhat unfeasable. It might have been possible had the game been set in a single province) and instead levels are self contained and seperated by a loading screen. It doesnt detract too much from the experience tbh but souls semi open world and wicker-work like connecting level design is superior. Enviroments can feel somewhat lacking in variety and are hit and miss. Same can be said for bosses. Niohs bosses are good fun and well executed but they dont seem as memorable and creative as certain soulsborne bosses Paarl's retarded cousin even makes an appearance as Nue the lightning beast The bosses are a bit hit and miss. Some a great fun (Ogress, giant toad, Juro-gumo) but others are a fucking grind (umi-bozo or tachibana fucking munashige)
There are some nice features like the diablo style loot system, which is an improvement imo on souls fairly generic set placing of loot and allows for more unique weapons and armour. The option to reforge stats on gear and to change its appearance are both nice features too.

Im enjoying the game and all in all, while its certainly no souls beater, it is good enough to stand on its own and is deserving of some love an attention because it is a rewarding experience. It makes no secret of its direct 'borrowing' of so many elements of gameplay innovated by soulsborne but it gets them right and in some cases improves upon them, adding nuance and flexibility. Its a worthy entry into the masocore genre. It also scratches that onimusha 'demons vs samurai' itch thats been ongoing since the last days of the ps2 as for whatever unknown reason, Capcom decided to shitcan one of their best franchises. I miss onimusha

Also, fuck wheelmonks so fucking much. I hate them lads.

Other urls found in this thread:

gamecity.ne.jp/nioh/update.html
gematsu.com/2017/03/nioh-patch-1-06-now-available-adds-new-sub-missions
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

shamefur self bump

He is easy once you light the bonfires and stay close to him since he doesn't seem to like to use the instakill laser on you. it is retarded that a water demon is weak to fire though

The grindfest side of it lets the game down, I don't want to replay it in the future because of this. Apart from that it's a fantastic game and one of the few I've platinumed. It was the breath of freash air that I wanted to see in a From Software game so overall I feel I got my moneys worth.

Yea I don't like the whole loot and grind aspect. The combat is so refreshing but every thing else sucks

I actually don't like that it's been compared to Souls so much, it feels more like its own beast rather than a derivative of that series. The influence is clearly there, but Nioh's different enough to stand on its own, I think. The only comparison I would make is that I think Nioh's combat is going to make it hard for me to go back to any of the Souls games should I want to replay them, since Nioh's is so much better and more active.
I'm on what feels like the last mission and I like the game a lot so far, looking forward to replaying it afterwards.

Atlas Bear is best spirit

I've heard that a waterstop talisman will prevent the water laser from one shotting you.

I hadn't thought of using that, guess I'll try it out if I ever do that boss again

Just so you know you can two shot him with Suzaku.

Personally, I dont mind grinding but I know its not everyones cup of tea & see your point. The combat system is one of the best iv played. Fast and precise.

I don't mind the grinding as much as the trying to figure out where to grind.
And I still don't know how to unlocking non specialized gear at the blacksmith works. I still have a bunch of sets that I can't forge but that I also don't think have smiting texts either. Is it based on disassembling enough of the items? On selling them? It's not simply having the item or game progression. I wish I knew.

NIER AUTOMATA T SHIRT NIER AUTOMATA T SHIRT

Why is soul matching so expensive

don't do it until NG+ for that level 160+10 gear. Also the higher the level rarity and the more skills it has, the more expensive it is to raise your weapon level.

Honestly, I just fight remannts and hope I get the top level gear for the build I want. Kingo + anything else that helps with final blow/skill/iai.

I hope that the Sanada armor set is available in DLC along side the black NIOH armor set.

Any tips for maximum damage output (spear) and decent gear farming lad?

Get cancer OP

thats why they call him Anjin
kill yourself

You will never have a qt spirit waifu

Could two or three people do me a favor, I'm curious about something?
Take screenshots of the forge helmet menu at the blacksmith and post them. Especially if you've reached NG+ or even either the last two regions.
I want to compare something.

you want to know if you're missing smithing texts, am i right?

Holy christ, I'm so tired of fighting Onyroki. Not that's he particularly hard, he's just a fucking wall of health and keeps on showing up in later missions. Next mission on my list is the post-credits mission back in London and I'm wondering if he's going to make another appearance.

Not with that attitude you won't

not that i remember, no. don't remember any onryoki in the Queens Eyes mission. however you can find Derrick the executioner again in the torture room.

but yeah he gets pretty annoying.

I'd say it has more in common with Ninja Gaiden than anything else, the only souls like thing about it is using "souls" to level and the respawning enemies bit.

In Nioh YOU are the strongest thing at all times, its just a matter of using your moveset properly, not so much in a Souls game.

Nah.

In a sense. I'm trying to find out if certain armors have smithing texts or get unlocked in some other way.
For example notice that I have the option to forge Shinobi and Iga Jonin but not Chunin. Or that I've got Archer but not Bowman and I have neither Yamabushi nor Gyousha despite the fact that the blacksmith sells them. Also I have only the option to forge one of the three types of onmyo.
I'm pretty sure there's several of the other non "Ace" armor types that I haven't mentioned that I can't forge either.
I'm trying to narrow this shit down and ALL of the online guides are worse than useless.

smithing texts are sometimes rare drops from enemies or bosses.

honestly i didn't even bother farming those, this game has more RNG shit than fucking let it die before the gyakufunsha patch, but no one complains about it

Until the official guide is out some of the online information is going to be spotty, especially with rare drops

That's because 90% of players seem to be wearing either the Kingo set or the Red Demon set and don't really give a shit about any of the other armor in the game.
Soul forging is expensive and even that won't save you if you only find non divine versions of armor. Which is a real problem with visors and kawari.

OH SHIT NIGGERS
I just got a divine Elephant Trunk kabuto.
RABBITS ARE LUCKY AFTER ALL!

current /vg/ thread on 4chin is filled with nothing but digusting redditors
I wish Holla Forums had a more active user base though

Good way of putting it.

Nioh's /fa/ opportunities are breddy gud.

You should just use the refashion option at the blacksmith instead of using non-divine pieces.

I'll do that when I get some divine armour, haven't yet since I've only just beaten the game.

How do I get all peices of the Red Oni set? Do I just keep grinding Li until he drops everything? I had problems with him at first but dishonorburi spamming spearfall makes him pretty trivial.

Calm your autism girls. The game mechanics are closer to souls than anything else (hard masocore style gameplay, losing souls upon death and have to pick them up, rest at shrines/bonfires, summon in co-operators etc) Its not like team ninja have made any secret of their admiration of soulsborne either. Its an acceptable term imo as it is descriptively accurate and therefor apt.

Im loving the story in all its unfollowable batshittery. Its basically James Clavell's 'Shogun' on acid.

Yes. Or if you are lucky he'll drop his smithing text so you don't need to fuck around with him anymore.

Just summon a few revenants and you'll get it, everyone and their dog wears it.

Thanks lads. Vid related is the build im going for at present but iv seen some kusarigama builds that are just ridiculous. Spinning everywhere like an insane death dealing dervish and taking down new game+ bosses in a single combo.

Yeah, its the kusa crit build with suzaku
the thing is that you can use a kusa skill while in LW mode, making it hit extremely hard. I'm currently using it, and its as insane as you say it is.

Don't talk to me or my wife's son ever again until you get 25k+ final attacks

I don't even need to when I can hit for over 90k with one big aoe combo

Alright so I've finished the main story and unlocked way of the strong, and my first question is: are there brand new missions in way of the strong or are they the same missions but more difficult? I've done every mission in the regular mode (except for the two dual-boss fights) and I noticed part of Okatsu's bio is missing, saying I need to complete mission ???? to unlock it. Trivial, but I'm wondering if it's something I've missed along the way or have yet to stumble across.

Same missions, but more difficult and better loot.
Have you done all of the dojo missions? I think Okatsu is in one of them. That, or maybe you need to defeat her 3 times.

I like the way bosses respawn after completing the level so you dont have to be summoned into someone elses world if you want to grind them. Thats something I always wished DaS games did (although the bonfire ascetic in DaS2 was a pretty good mechanic, even if certain bosses ended up at ng++++++++++++++ on the second playthorough fuck knows how many times I soul farmed that giant lord)
I hope this IP gets a sequel too because there are so many good features in Nioh that could be expanded on. I like to see a sequel set in a single province so it could have an open world mechanic rather than self contained levels. Also having more than one summon/visiter would be nice.
Does anyone know when we are getting pvp btw? Iv heard that it will be added as a patch but iv also heard it will be part of a dlc. Anyone got any solid info on this?

It is going to be a free update around April, before that will be some new high level missions

Nice. Thanks user

You get rare smithing text from boss drop

How the fuck do these guns in the game supposed to work?

It's a matchlock rifle. Think a Flintlock, but replace the flint and steel striker with a burning ember to ignite the powder charge. The one you posted looks like it's missing a few bits though. Maybe someone could correct me.

They work well ingame imo. The hand cannon packs an impressively satisfying punch.
The loading time irl would be a lot longer though than U-riyyamu's two-second spin loading animation - you could probably fire 2 shots per minute if you were damn good…

I'm on region 4 in Way of the Strong. What the fuck do I do about grinding amrita? It costs 2 million to level now.

Do other plays see that you've hidden your helm?
There needs to be an untied hair option.
Revenant doesn't count.

Make sure you have all the areas kodamas and take the 25% amrita harvest bonus.
Join Toyotomi clan for amrita bonuses
Drink Saisetsu-shin’s Sake. You can farm them from the "master of the twin baldes" mission.
Equip guardian spirit with best amrita bonus.

Don't, just go through the game and then kill nobunaga or kill We Wuz.
over and over and over again

Successfully beating a mission in co-op builds it up pretty quick, I find.

I just got the game today, the umbrella black lady in Mission 2 is kicking my ass six ways on Sunday. The first mission was much easier than in the alpha, but god damn, I just can't beat her or get the timing down. Living weapon also does shit all damage to her. I thought I could beat the game easily but I guess my first barrier came here.

Is there any quicker route to the boss than through the tunnels down to the watery cave? And any tips for the boss? I'm a katana user.

How many shrines have you found in that level?

1kat, silk only
WHY CAN YOU NOT GET THE DAMN HAKAMA OUTSIDE THE DOJO?

There's the first in the beginning, and then a second one in the tunnels that lead into a few zombies and a "wall-eye" creature.

There's a third right before the boss if you make a jump

You'll have to deal with an oni first or at least run past him. Don't forget to kick down the ladder.

Make sure you hit the shrine in that huge cave area (drop off onto the ledge with a Yoki-spawning portal not long after you enter the cave from upstairs) so the journey back isn't as long.

Stick to low stance and focus on dodging, not blocking. Get in two or three hits after she wiffs an attack, and then dodge away to be ready for the one.

Don't get too far away from her so she won't use her charges or projectiles as much.

Equip anti paralysis needles, and any gear you have that resists paralysis and if you do get paralysed, use a needle immediately. Pretty much all you can do until it wears off.

Learn the tells. When she reaches out towards you, she's going for an unblockable grab. If she does a quick backflip, she's about to charge. If she stands still and grunts, she's about to fire a wave attack. If she spreads her wings while standing, she's about to use her wing twirl attack. Her regular kicks and umbrella attacks are probably the easiest to see coming and avoid, just be mindful she uses either two or three hit combos. Be ready to dodge out of a potential third hit.

When she jumps into the air, hit her with projectiles inbetween her own attacks (she'll either fire off a paralysis wave, or throw two sets of daggers). Kunai are ideal, three hits should drain her stamina and knock her down to the ground to let you get a few good hits in. Don't get carried away because she always gets up with her grab attack.

Save your living weapon for when she's very low on health, bear in mind she's resistant to wind damage but weak to lightning. Also be careful because her grab goes through living weapon.

I feel your pain, she killed me 17 times before I finally beat her (using an axe in low stance, I reckon sword is better suited though).

What kind of armor are you wearing?
Learn [Sword Ki] if you haven't already its great for exhausting youkai ki.
And never EVER try to parry a youkai attack.

love the game just don't have much to talk about. Its one of those games where I'd rather just play then have deep discussions. Reminds me of how silly and nerdy it is to wast my time on video game forums when I could be playing video games.

Holy shit nigga paralysis needles need to be hotkeyed if you can't dodge her attacks, focus on hit-and-run tactics along with using guardian spirit talismans to cause her to recoil if you are using mid or high stance 1 kat

i don't know why but that was my a-ha moment. i fucking love this game. i love how you can mimic mimics. i love the little touches. i love that making a set that looks good is piss-easy. honestly the most fun i've had with a game for a very long time

Ok game you have my attention

The two European armor sets are surprisingly nice too.

I always end up refashioning my Red demon set into looking like the platemail. It is good fun going around killing japanese monsters as a western knight.

Holy fuck, nekomata.

F

;_;

It will all be ok.

For a whooping +160% gold increase.
Then I tested my build (I even used Wealthbringer Talismans all along) in DKR. I got like 200k gold for doing it. Might as well do Demon's Daughter instead since its way more efficient. I honestly feel a little bit dissapointed and upset over this. I still need to do more tests on different missions and modes, but still.

Just finished the game the other day, pretty fun but I gotta say it can become a bit repetitive half-way through. There's not much variety of enemies and the side missions sometimes feel like a bother. Also the RNG system is a bit shitty, I would end just dropping everything on the storehouse after each level and just getting the good drops from renmants instead of bothering trying to get smith text, rare materials, spending millions of gold in sould matching, etc…

I went with a Spear/Kusarigama set together with ninjitsu. The ninjitsu is especially useful at the beginning and pretty powerful, I was able to defeat bosses by just running around throwing shit at them and getting them poisoned and stuff. After a while though it falls a bit short.

After finishing the game I tried to restart my stats to get also Omnyo magic and that shit was broken as fuck.

I managed to defeat the double bosses battles in like 30 seconds with this shit, it is not even funny.

Once you get used to the Ki gathering mechanic the game becomes really fun, but also really easy. I defeated most bosses in the first try. When I see other people playing what I notice is that most people play this game using the Soul mentality like hitting the enemy then going back, waiting for stamina to recover and try again.

That's NOT how you play. You need to make good use of the Ki Gathering and basically break your enemy shit with infinite combos until you break his Ki and then punish him. Only evade for hits that cannot be broken. Once you dominate this the game is really easy and you just need to learn what attacks can or cannot be broken with your attacks so you decide if it is better to gather ki or evade.

My tip for anyone just starting the game:
CHANGE YOUR CONTROLS TO THE B TYPE, THE A TYPE IS SHIT

so is this a shameless SOULS LIKE experience or is it actually good?

I'd like to know.

Its a very good game, and its a shame that it keeps being compared to any Souls game, when its more like Ninja Gaiden. I usually spend less than 100 hours on games, but I've over 200 hours now in Nioh, and I still enjoy it.

Who /multicultural/ here?

(checked)
Thats some mighty diverse fashion-oh you are rocking there son.

It has a lot of similarities mechanics wise and has obivously taken soulsborne as inspiration but it is easily good enough to stand on its own. It actually improves on a few things - the combat system with its 3 stances, for instance is one of the best, if not THE best iv ever played in a game.
Story is pretty batshit but enjoyable its a bit easier to follow if you read the chapter summaries in the menu, read all character bios as they unlock and rewatch the cutscenes a few times
There is a lot of gear and weapons (it has a diablo style loot system) and huge room for experimental play when you factor in the nijitsu, the magic and the vast amount of guardian spirits you can equip. If one is inclined toward stat-tinkering to see how much damage you can push out of particular builds, then such a person wouldl be in their element here.
Nioh bro-op is pretty good fun too.
Decent game tbh lad. A return to form for Team Ninja. Its a lot more than a simple dark souls clone and such a comparison does not do it justice. Iv put 50-60 odd hours in so far and iv only just scratched the surface off all the gameplay nuances is offers. Its the only game I can think off that lets you fire a fucking ghost shark at your enemies in mid combat too

After I got through the umbrella bird lady, it has been a breeze, until the centipede demon. I'm not saying that it's overly difficult, but it's a pain in the ass to fight with having to circle around the room and over and over using the fan to take out the poison from the air. Not something I'd call a fun boss battle, reminds me of the damn worms in Ninja Gaiden.

you know if you kill the crystal rocks the poison goes away right?

It's bloody fantastic up until now at least. And don't compare it to Souls games, it's a Ninja Gaiden game with a focus on stamina (which you can easily replenish with Ki pulse unlike in souls games).

Didn't figure that out yet, no.

that's the entire stage's gimmick, you can do that for every poison area section

How do I get the commit sodoku gesture? Is it from those badger mimic things in chests?

You only get two gestures from badger tanuki. Most of the others you buy from the teahouse but a few you get as mission rewards.

I'm a little sad that the "evil spirits be gone" doesn't have a visible gohei.

You buy that one at the Hidden Teahouse, I think.

dont forget that skill where you auto ki pulse with a successful dodge. That was a game changer for me

destroy the poison rocks, then buff your sword (i used lightning and had great results). honestly, and i'm not trying to be on of those LMAO I'M GUD AND UR NOT guys but i found the centipede to be the easiest boss yet once i did those two things. he deals shit damage, is easy to hit and is easy to dodge

wtf i hate nioh now

Quick question what's a better element for hammers, water or wind?

Well you can get the wooden training weapons out of the dojo.

Dang, can you beat people with bokken? Is it viable way to play in anyway?

All dojo weapons have a special bonus that uses your proficiency as a damage multiplier and you can get them all the way up to divine quality. They're pretty good. If you combine a bokken with the Yagyu set and the special magatama and have a good wandering swordmaster getup.

I have no idea what you are saying as I haven't played this game, but sounds pretty neat.

that hakama is shit
go with the bowman hakama instead

Do you mean archer or bowman because good luck finding bowman.

Mind the color of the Nurikabe's eyes.

Their color lets you know what kind of gesture you need to make before them.

I've yet to see this proven, because as far as I can tell, the color in its eyes is always the same.
It's the bloodstains around the Nurikabe that will give you a hint on what gesture you should perform, so if you see "X died because of neutral behavior" (which is a yellow gesture), all that's left to do is either a red or blue gesture.

I'm not even that far in the game and I've found bowman stuff.

I think the Rifle Captain stuff is even better though, not at home rn so I can't check my character.

Picked this up the other day and made it through the first boss and side mission. Breddy gud so far. Anything I should be aware of when it comes to item forging?

I wouldn't do it until you have the highest tier of materials for the item you want. Even then it only goes up to purple-tier. I don't know if it is possible to forge the divine tier weapons and armor

it is

Umibozu seems a bit challenging, it wouldn't be that bad if he didn't spawn those little fuckers once he enters the ring. It's hard to stay focused to a new form with large swing attacks while blobs are throwing kamitachi at you.

Does it effect the boss if you light all three bonfires? For some reason I can't see to find the third one (found the first one and the one with a axe-demon spawn).

You don't face any of the smaller monsters since they all die from the bonfires, it is just you and Umi-bozu

If you light all the bonfires the little shits won't be there

Noice.
As the other user said, hold off on forging items until you get the high tier purple materials. You can make those in the other tab in the forge menu if you have enough blue materials of the same kind (which you can make if you have enough yellow materials). That aside, a quicker way to get materials of each type is to just disassemble armour/weapons of each colour.

This and it gives you another fire to light your weapon on fire with.

Thanks for the tip, beat Umibozu and on to the next region. I'm loaning the PS4 so I'm mostly skipping side missions until some other playthrough in the future. Seems like they're mostly just mob hunt missions like the graveyard and the bridge.

(checked)

I cannot find a divine set of bowman to save my life.

Disassemble everything you don't want especially lower level stuff. Then you can take those low level materials and forge them up to high level ones and make good equipment. You should always try to forge purple equipment first time through and green in NG+. Farming revenants is a good way to both get gear to wear and gear to disassemble.

Important
One exception to the "disassemble everything" rule is when it comes to special head gear. They're rare and in the case of a couple of them unique and you wont be able get them back except as maybe a lucky drop from a player revenant. So you'll want to keep them even if you get them as white or yellow rarity.

I just beat the game on the first run (other than the two side missions with the two bosses), it's a damn fine game.

Did you do the Queen's Eyes?

(checked)

yes

Essentially, and both are based on the part of history where William Adams arrives in Japan and becomes one of the few Gaijins at that time to become a samurai while helping the Japanese with trade and constructing western-style ships. I was a bit surprised they had you playing as him, but knowing how the end of the Sengoku era goes and RL William's story, the story of Ni-Oh became predictable for the most part (there were of course surprises and inaccurate as fuck moments, but I digress). The biggest surprise at first was making William Irish instead of English, but given his guardian spirit is Celtic in origin, it makes sense for the game to have him be someone of Celtic origin (though they could've had him be Scottish to at least have him be from the same island as RL William).

Trivia: One of the previous PMs of Japan is Tachibana's descendent. Pic related

So did he wear a big circle kabuto while he was PM?

Just got to White Tiger, too hard for me now, going to grind a few missions to get him.

Man the fight against the red spear guy in the dojo is fucking amazing. Damn hard, I tried a parrying tactic for the most of it but it didn't work out. Him using the fire tiger as well feels like cheating.

Li is easier if you have spear skills and spam him with spearfall.

I did white tiger with help with some based bro-op cooperator

Really? He was a breather boss for me after the hell that was Japanese Elsa.

wew

Perhaps I'm looking into it a bit much but this video demonstrates one of my favourite things about the game, the fact that most enemies play by the same rules that the player does. Even without considering the fact that their ki can also be depleted or that some enemies' weapons bounce off of walls if they swing too close to one, enemies being able to juggle you and friendly AI is really cool.

Does anyone know how the luck bonus for clan Murakami works? If it's +10 per piece than that's better than Furata.

Those things are fucking brutal.

fucking wheelmonks reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

wheelmonks are a lot easier than i thought the first time i found them.

for one they're immensely weak to water, other than that, just strong attack them right in the face, they don't roll over you every single time they approach you unlike a certain wheel meme we all know about, they usually stop, turn 90 degrees, and do the fire spit, but they take a while to load it, so in that timeframe you can score a couple of strong attacks and most likely deplete their Ki.

kek, dont remind me

I hope the update that comes out this/next month has a mission where you fight nothing but wheelmonks.

How do these twilight missions work? I went on one the other night but didnt finish it and ended up using a homeward bone leaf to warp out back into the overworld map with the intention of going back tomorrow but when I did the missions had changed? What dictates this? Whats the score with these missions?

two are selected daily on a rotation, it resets at some random ass time in the middle of the night in the US

Ok, thanks lad. Had me puzzled at first

I sure hope all you anons are wearing novelty headgear.
It would really help us collectors out.

Think that modifier changes how much proficiency you earn while using the weapon. Thus, it is made useless once you cap out.

I beat Yuki-Onna (right?) on the first try, I've heard she's tough but I got lucky.

post a pic lad, iv not even seen that one yet. Iv had a demon kabuki theatre mask, a tengu mask and a "woman" mask.

NIOH?! MORE LIKE NINO!

You know, I think she was referring to people beyond the castle you get to see. After being banished to that world, she became it's guardian, along with those in the castle.

Not the same user but I have one too.

I forgot to mention I've got several other headgears just not in divine. I could screen cap them if anyone wants.

lets see them then lad

Incoming. A few of the taller ones I've taken multiple angles to try to show of the hat off better.

The Scorpion Fish kabuto was in particular difficult to take a decent picture of because it's so dark.

Note there are two DIFFERENT Rabbit Ear kabuto and you get both from Sekigahara. And here is the normal hannya mask as opposed to the Ogress one.

By the way never EVER sell or dismantle or offer Takezo's head band because you will never fucking get another one.

This is all I have right now but I'm still missing some. The bear and the fox one for example and the snake one from Oda castle that gives an attack bonus against poisoned enemies and several others.
We really need to decide a place to trade revenants so everyone can get the best versions of each headgear because grinding for divine takes forever and a few of them are miss-able/loose-able.

i just learned this today: when you get to maximum proficiency with a weapon, have a look at the stats and you may see one stat with some weird double-arrow sort of icon in front of it, kinda like >||< stat will carry over to the new weapon. i'm only just finished the second zone/area/whatever but i really wish i'd known that earlier

The game tells you that in the shop tutorial.

i know. i'm retarded and didn't read it until just now.

Apparently the next dlc will have new weapon types. I wonder what they will be. I am hoping for some sort fo fist weapon. Also, does anyone know the use of the spear twirl? IT does not seem that useful.

Who knows, I mean there's plenty of stupid weapons from Japanese lore to pick from, hell they may even just bring over strange chinaman weapons. I just hope it isn't a copout like "oh it's a crossbow, totally different" or a blowgun or some nonsense

close, it's gonna be blowbutts

That tanuki kabuto is the business mate

You ought to see the bear's head kabuto. Too bad I can't find it and I'm getting a lot of conflicting reports as to where to even look for it.

Which one?

I just got to the big ass skellington in Sekigahara, and after one try I'm not sure how to handle it. I took out the legs, and Hanzo and Tenkai were yelling something about taking it out, but after that I could only target it's hands for damage. Seems so much like the Bone Dragon fight from NG but I honestly don't know if I should fight it or if there's a shortcut here like for some other fights.

Damn this game is good, fucking 10/10. Haven't had a game like this in almost a decade.

Same lad. Iv not played anything else for weeks.
Ill play ringed city when it comes out, do it in a day or two then go back to this

It's the spear's equivalent of the other weapons' parries, slams the opponent to the ground if you parry them successfully and sets them up for a killing strike.

you bop him in the feet until he falls over then wail on his head

he slumps over once hanzo shoots him, after you kill a foot, with cannons and you can attack his head.
If your dps isn't shit it'll only take you both feet and you won't have to attack his hands or anything else

Equip a powerful guardian spirit and when he goes over unload as much damage into him as you can.
Alternately equip a full set of edgelord gear and snipe him in the stomach or head.

I think the issue is just how fucking good the kingo set, the red demon set, and the jonin sets are. The kingo set alone gets you great toughness, decent agility, and a shit ton back stab damage. I hate how it looks though, but the refashion stuff really makes things better.

speaking of sets, i'm still really early on in the third area now but literally every revenant i see is wearing a warrior of the west set (and i'm no different). when will i start finding shit good enough to justify breaking my full set bonus? is there a better set for LMAO1kat users that i'll be coming across soon?

The armor of the west is one of the better sets. Just wait until you get divine gear with it. Oda's set is also pretty damn good if you pair it with his spirit. The iga jonin set uses a 1kat and a sickle, but it is also a solid set for ninja builds.

It seems that almost no one wears heavy or medium armor. Sadly. Even many of the light armor types go unused. I haven't yet seen anyone wear full Yatagarasu gear.

There's also the snowballing effect of revanant drops. For that reason I've made a conscious choice not to wear any of the most common sets so as not to contribute to that effect. Right now I'm wearing a mix of Yamabushi and Gyousha and also Pirate gear when I'm farming since I'm in Murakami. In the past I've worn Kaido and Genius Strat and I'm pretty fond of those. I love the Raging Bull but since I'm not strated out for spears I haven't used that set yet.

Yagyu is a good 1kat set, especially since it's only a 4 piece set. So you can also benefit from the lower level bonuses of other sets while wearing it especially if you use the special magatama.

I feel like shit since I used red demon armor for the longest time and am now using the kingo armor. I am still using the red demon spear since it is the only spear I have been getting from revanent that had body (A) on them. I just kind of gave up making another spear after I spent about 8 million trying to reforge a spear to have scaling with body. At least it is a good spear though.

Is it an inheritable version because you could always soul match.

I just discovered something very interesting. It's better to forge your own equipment rather than to rely on revanant and enemy drops.
I hope you guys are grindan those smithing texts.

I think iv decided I hate raven tengu far more than wheelmonks now

So crafted has less requirements? Or do they consistently have higher stats compared to dropped gear? If so, guess I'll have to go Diablo II on this shit to get the best gear

Yes.
I'm not certain about how or if crafted vs dropped effects other aspects. I'm still experimenting. I imagine there is some difference in crafted vs dropped weapons too.
Basically though if you have a smithing text and all the materials always go for crafted

Also on a completely unrelated note I'm beginning to think that the Bear's Head is an ultra rare drop from scrotum badgers.

I finally got it.
AM I NOT THE GRACEFUL AND ELEGANT SAMURAI WARRIOR

This has been a productive night for kabuto hunting.

I hate how you can't refashion pieces into those

(Nice digits)
Fine headgear user. I want it.

ebin :DDD

Yeah those assholes are the toughest enemy in the game for me.

I just got burned out by the game, beating Nobunagam then Kelley only to be faced with Yamata no Orochi right after that with one potion left. I mean I expected Team Ninja to put you through back to back bosses in endgame but not like this, Kells is way too random for me to kill him easily enough so I could get to the next boss with all potions left. Fucking hell, I might need a break, been playing every day since March 10th.

Oh yeah also, anyone know how to get more than 8 elixirs? I've seen videos where people have 10 but still haven't figured out what to do exactly? Increase ninjutsu enough, or some skill? Maybe an item benefit?

Upgrade your ninjutsu fam

Whats best set for spear?

Is this about right? Fair assessment?

It definitely drops from mimics. I got mine on " A Request from Ginchiyo" in the first region but I suspect it isn't exclusive to that mission. It is a good one to farm it from because there is no boss fight in that mission and there are 4 mimics. I don't know if it would drop at a level above white at later levels or not.
It may or may not be one of a kind drop.
Btw there's a couple of helms that drop from kappa as well.

There's three spear sets Raging Bull, Red Demon, and Armor of the Exceptional. Everyone frustratingly seems to wear Red Demon.
Red is light armor, the other two are heavy. Both Red and Bull require you to use an elemental spear to get the most out of the set bonus.
It's entirely possible spear "set" is in fact some combination of the three sets.
You could also combine a spear set with Yagyu to take advantage of the extended parry opening bonus.

Thanks user. The red demon set does seem to be the most overrepresented. I get more drops of set that from revenants than any other.
I wish those clan battle things in the tearoom would play out a bit faster - it takes forever to grind up the glory needed to purchase all those different skins.

Do Co-op you get glory at a way faster clip provided the people summon you right before the boss

You gotta be a ninja. Also, did anyone else notice how strong ninja shit and onmyo can get when togethor? You can use the extract amrita thing, power pills, caltraps, oda's spirit, and the blind egg to steam roll through most shit. I try to avoid using sloth since that makes it easy to rely on it to much and become shit.

yeah holy on let me OH NO YOUR OPINION WENT INTO THE GARBAGE

You can also use carnage talismans, but power pills work better when using a kusarigama.

you mean worse.
Power pills give such a small increase no matter what you're better off using carnage in literally every situation unless you're super worried about dying. Even then the power pill bonus is so small you're better off just hitting the guy rather than backing off to use a pill

You're both probably right. Power pills and Carnage both scale off of two different stats so depending on how you've leveled up it might change which is better for you personally. There's also the capacity issue to consider. I know I have a lot more free ninja capacity than onmyo capacity and I have more than 40 points into both.

No like I'm 100% serious, even going full ninjutsu power pills don't scale well at all

I'll have to experiment with that. What are you wearing?

Iga set, 99 dex, and the rabbit for max ninjutsu. Change the rabbit on/off and you'll notice a whole whopping 4 points of difference from the pill.
Same holds true if we do an incredibly low dex build about 6 points.

Alternatively carnage doesn't seem to scale period. It's always roughly double your attack

That sort of tears it then. Of course carnage halves your defense too doesn't it?
Which one lasts longer?

The defense medallion seems to mitigate whatever debuff Carnage gives you

pills last longer, but it's such a small buff you're better off just getting the longer lasting omnyo mystic art and using carnage.

Also yes, carnage completely tanks your defense

Well at least it's not NG2 or 3.

Well some people might but my build is pretty reliant on rapid chain casting magic. I'll have to try carnage though. I might be able to fine tune things even further.

If you're attacking period, carnage is better for you. Power pills are horribly useless, I'd go so far as to say they're a waste of skill points with no actual use because it's such a minor buff

Ninja Gaiden has respawning enemies, and also in a Souls game you are more powerful than any enemies as well. Your post makes no sense, watching 10 seconds of Nioh is enough to see it's Dark Souls, the stamina bar, the constant moving forward then back, in ninja gaiden you stay immobile only moving to dodge, you never dance around.

What's up with these posts? I get making mistakes, recalling things incorrectly, typos, but outright making stuff up? What devilry is this?

So which is the best mission for amaretto grindan in Way of the Strong?

We wuz or Kelly's boss gauntlet

Nioh does remind me more of NG on Master Ninja than Souls games overall. And that's not a bad thing at all. Souls games have always have limited movement, in Nioh you're much faster and nimble which makes it much more fun than any Souls game thus far.

I think that's the key element why Nioh really is a near 10/10 compared to Souls games. It takes a similar formula but tweaks it just right t be it's own and superior thing. Not to take away from Souls series which I also like, but the difficulty mostly comes from the bad controls and stage design in those.

Sanada armor is so fucking pretty. I wish I could make it.

Nioh is where the combat really shines whilst Id opine that souls has the superior level design. The one think I think nioh slacks a bit on is interesting level design. No grand vistas to gaze upon or memorable set peices, it all felt a bit samey and dull. Thats not to dectract from the game though because the finesse of the combat redeems it to the point of excellence.

Bloodborne is a souls game and is fast.

I do wish there had been more day time or brightly lit levels. We never even got a bamboo grove stage. That bathhouse was comfy as shit though.

How does BB compare to Nioh in the speed department?

It's a lot slower because of the lack of a ki-pulse system. Movement wise it's the same speed, but combat has deadzones of sitting around waiting for stamina to recover

Being able to active reload your stamina is the best innovation that any game has made in the last decade.

I thought Oda's castle is one of the more impressive vistas and eye candy I've seen in modenr games.

Okay how did you guys do it?

I just beat the Orochi and then now have to face at least three Clone Kelleys and two ultimate Yokai at the same time. This is just fucking… I don't even know how to start approaching this. I can kill the first guy dropping out of the container with luch before he can do anything, but still there's two instakill users waiting on top of axe guys coming in hard, and ALL can use projectiles to boot.

Any good strategies to start or is this just about fucking grindan?

If you attack the tanks that the Yoki are in they'll come out and you can fight them one-on-one. Honestly though just git gud it's not that hard :^)

Coming back to this after beating Nier and I can't do shit, it's like I don't remember how I got to this point and trying to revert to souls style is stamina death. I feel like a retarded ninja kusarigamaing my own limbs off before the enemy can reach me.
I better just start over.

See those six coins on the kabuto? Its not because the sanada clan likes money. Its to pay the fare to the underworld if they dont have any money lying around

What teahouse clans are popular here?

I'v gone for Satake for the:

Tokugawa seems by far the most popular though.

I decided to try and do all the other missions first. But goddamn those final two-on-one fights are hellish.

Clone Kelly's die in 1 headshot from a good ranged weapon

Here's your solution then
Just Saika his asses.

You know I was wondering about that. That's pretty neat.

I stopped buying ps4 games because a PC port always gets announced after I buy a game.

I finally beat it. Hundred Eyes was a relatively easy one compared to the clones before.

So is way of the strong like New Game+? I did a few missions and have no idea if using ochoko cups for divine items is good or not, nearly all the divines I got from the first island missions were worse than my current gear.

Divines have two more stat slots and can fill up to 999 familiarity, including armor which normally lacks familiarity.
Did you fight revnants?

I forgot to add that you should probably conserve the ochoko for specific missions that you want to increase divine drops like the submission where you fight the monk on the bridge or if you are grinding for kawari kubutos.

New update incoming.
gamecity.ne.jp/nioh/update.html

Nice. 10 new missions. Do you know when it goes live?

What a stupid post.
Was this meant to derail the thread?

Screenshots look like PVP mode and why is hundred eyes still alive? I hated that boss.

really? the screenshots to me look like double fights.
Both ninjutsu trainers at once, two masters of weapons at once, and hundred eyes+kelly at once

and Nobu+Obsidian

You don't dojo without dojo gear.
Those are all characters you can unlock at the Teahouse.

minus hundred-eyes/kelley and the ninjas

If they were going to announce PvP, then why not have it be demonstrated in a better way than people using the exact same weapons+styles+spirits as the NPC versions use.

no clue
I dont even want pvp
I'm dreading it actually

Yeah, which is why I'm saying, it's probably more double fights. Especially as you mentioned the 2 ninja screenshot

meant ss01, ss03 and ss05 for indicators of pvp.
Wasn't even referring to the 2 ninja shot. I know you can't get the chick as a playable character so that rules out PvP in that shot anyway.

Eh maybe SS3 as those 2 aren't default NPCs, but I don't see the any others being PvP teasers

I know that you don't go to the Dojo with real weapons. How do you explain that?

It's a double fight, so they are probably going to throw you in with actual gear to offset the fact that it's 1v2

So that's why shooting the guitar does the most damage.

gematsu.com/2017/03/nioh-patch-1-06-now-available-adds-new-sub-missions
Nice, detailed patch notes.
Also, it seems like the crazy juggling some players were able to do will no longer be possible.

Maybe now it'll suck less

OH GOD, THEY'RE "BALANCING" "NERFING" AND BUTTERING OUR ANUSES FOR INTRUSIVE PVP IN THE FUTURE.
DAMN YOU TEAM NINJA
DAMN YOU

Got some new side missions in the update today. They look hard, fighting two bosses at once. Iv not attempted them yet - just gone in to have a look then warped back out with a himorogi branch) Iv just got to the queens eyes mission.
Any tips for tackling the John Dee/eldritch ayylium boss with a spear? Those lasereyes can be rape.

Will they be useful finally?

OH GOD THE TENGU + NUE FIGHT!

I really liked the Character and Yokay Amrita memories, shame some of them have such retarded locks (defeat 40 eye umbrellas that you rarely ever see to unlock their 2nd part).

Also I through Muneshige+Honda was not that hard once you cleared Muneshige, but I could not for the life of me beat Nobunaga+Ice Queen. That shit is crazy. Can't imagine what all the other two-on-one battles are gonna be like.

It feels good to git gud.

Use same tactic as normal? On first round take out all but one eye and keep fucking the boss and when the next time comes just run through them quick with living weapon and kill him. Unless you're talking some Way of Strong stuff, didn't get that far.

I thought she was the more challenging bosses in the game due to the same animation she uses for throwing sickle and launcing instastab.

Yeah i hear you on that one, got instastabbed a few times because of this.

Wait ice bitch is hard? I literally cheesed her on my first run and only got hit once by one of her arrows because I got distracted.

I don't really understand this shit. Peopel praise this game as fun and challenging, and to most it seems to be, then there's people like you who go on about cheesing shit and how easy it was. If it was all that easy, was it an enjoyable game? I don't get it.

Wut? Just because I had an easy time beating a boss doesn't mean I don't enjoy the game. You seem to be projecting a lot there, user.

These new sub-missions are stupidly hard. I'm playing on Way of the Strong, capping myself at level 100 with most of my equipment at 150+5 and +6 and some of this shit seems impossible, or at least takes forever to kill an enemy without resorting to Living Weapon.

fuck this update

How do you forge + level equipment. I have a feeling I'm going to need to for these new missions.

So is 160+10 still the highest, or did they add more?

According to my calculations it can take up to 512 pieces of equipment to make a single +10. Is that right?

Yes but some of the hard missions can now drop up to +(7) now.

Make sure you have the smithing texts to forge. Use soul match to bring items up to higher levels (its expensive though unless you use loyalty points to by discount points)
Smithing usually yields better results than looted gear anyway.

They decreased the damage buff of power pills, so now it is even worse. They also nerfed the damage of the peacock which is retarded since it was not even that good to begin with.

Hey don't worry they nerfed carnage so hard it's not even worth using

Good thing I was never accustomed to buffs, but this is still disappointing to hear.

They tried their best to nerf the shit out of infinite living weapon but they basically failed to do. If you're powerful enough to fuck damage into your opponents fast enough you can still do shit like this.
Basically they just made it harder to "buy" into the build and made living weapons weaker for low level players. Meaning it will probably encourage more people to power level now.
They also made it slightly harder to apply status and elemental effects
They are going to have to readjust everything in the next patch.

Honestly, I'm having more of a struggle with Oda Nobunaga and Yasuke. Everything else was fine, especially the dojo master and Iga Clan gauntlet because I could just parry their shit. Even Yoshitsugu and Mitsunari were pretty easy. But I feel like I'm now experiencing what an actual rape is with Nobunaga and Yasuke wrecking my shit.

Can't cheese it out either with Living Weapon because I'm out of Amrita Crystals to pop like candy.

Assuming you're playing in NG+, how did you deal with them?
I've only beat these sub-missions in normal mode, but in theory, Nobunaga and Yasuke shouldn't be much harder because they don't abuse projectiles nearly as much, are parriable and much slower.

Generally, relying on Sword of Execution and hitting them in the back. And luring them up to the cliff that is nearby if they start trying to abuse projectiles. It provides some cover and you can quickly roll off it if they start to gang up on you.

Seems like I need to practice my parries against Nobunaga and Yasuke though. Makes sense now, considering I've forgotten the parry timing against axes.

Let me guess, he overleveled massively and summoned help for any boss that posed a challenge.

The asshole who decided to put a Raven Tengu and a Flying Bolt in the same room need to be brought behind the chemical shed and shot.

Farm some loot then sacrifice it to a shrine. You're using Kato aren't you?

They really should have made his hair blonde.

It is. It's just really, really light blond.

It's white.
He might as well be an avatar of that Elric faggot.

Guess I'll have to. And no, I'm using Enko. Could try using Kato since he's also maxed out. They're both of my favorite fire elemental spirit guardians.

lad, you think thats bad. Just wait until you have to fight nobunaga and yuki onna both at the same time.

Is it one of the new mission added? Because fuck this.

no it's in the base game.
A new one that got added was "Nue+2 Tengu"

I managed to do that in 2 tries. Nobunaga has trouble hitting you if you keep running in giant circles around the area like a little bitch. He'll constantly dash up to you and you can just hit and run his wife until she's down for a 1v1.

Is this real life? Well I know now I won't completely finish that game.

It's not as bad as it sounds, the tengu only come 1 at a time.

Is that the master onmyo dojo mission fot Tenkai? I have trouble with that one because you only get a limited number of talismans, a shitty wooden weapon an a meagre 3 elixirs and spastic-paarl always fucks me up at the end.
Might see if I can living weapon-cheese it when iv pumped a few more points into my spirit guardian

I don't think you can use living weapons in Dojo missions.

Fug
I thought i'd got gud but i guess ill have to git gudder.

No that's normal after you beat the main sotry. It gives you Nobu+Yuki and Honda+Muneshige.

Honda+Mune is manageable if you can get ride of Mune first, but Honda seems a MUCH faster with those thrusts and can fuck you up faster than lighting dog cunt.

No, he actually didn't summoned anyone (I doubt he even knew you could summon) and he was around endgame level when he got to the ending.

Still, he did awfully bad. Like for example using light armor and complaning about the damage he took and not taking advantage of his speed. he barely used Ki pulse which usually fucked himself over since Nioh punishes quite hard running out of stamina or he fell for incredibly obvious traps (it was really fun to see him die so much in the ninja house)

But the best of all is that he never switched stance. He beated the game with mid stance spear and barely using techniques, so you can guess the results.

He also died like 20 times to Tachibana

I'm still loving it. Blasting it today whilst doing houseshit and waiting for persona.

Fucking love the setting and mechnics of souls too tho.

I'm easy to please as I get older. Fuck it.

Perhaps the Crow Tengus are tough for you because you try to dodge the large staff swipes? The swipes actually are meant to be blocked rather than dodged, because they don't burn through that much stamina. Once you know when to dodge and when to block, rather than dodging everything, the Tengus become much easier.

Kelly and his boss back in London both inflict discord directly with their special attacks so that makes them nastier than they would normally be.

The tengu tokko helps too.

Guys.
I was forced to make a decision.
I choose Nier over this game, I was thinking with my dick

Did I fuck up ?
I honestly really enjoyed the beta, but I am kind of burnt out on action rpgs, just got done with DaS3.

I'm forcing myself to finish Nioh before starting Nier.

I hated DaS3 but can't put down Nioh down lately, I'm having too much fun killing yokais and ninjas honoraburu.

Nioh is the better buy

Played half hour of the ringed city tonight then went straight back onto bushido bill instead. Dork souls seems so sluggish after this.

Ah yes, i just watched it now, 25 times. I agree with what he said regarding the boss though, it's just a case of getting lucky with the attacks he decides to use.

I bought both and Nier twice, haven't had this fun playing vidya gaems this month in a long time. The Japs seem to barely touching Nioh artwork-wise though.

I can't wait to play as Williams in Musou Stars actually. He probably has some interesting shit to say to the Samurai Warriors characters.

What's the "recommended" armor for single/dual swords? I keep getting the same Red Demon shit from every revenant and I'd like to start farming something worth using towards end game.