Why are there so many multiplayer games released these days? Are people getting too lazy to design AI and large levels?

Why are there so many multiplayer games released these days? Are people getting too lazy to design AI and large levels?

Yes

yes i do like rimjobs but i don't understand what that has to do with video games

please form your question into a question that is actually related to video games in future

Thankyou

Why though? I think AI is far easier to make than internet connection and lag compensation. As long as you understand finite machine algorithm you're doing well. And large levels are just recycled assets. What's so hard about these?

fuck off shadman

user, devs got lazy like a decade ago, which is why we are in the current situation

Pretty much. It's really easy to make multiplayer games - they almost always have symmetrical design between players, focus on content in short bursts so smaller maps, and obviously require very little enemy behavior design. It also helps that multiplayer games have great mass appeal, and always have had.

That was before AI was invented. Also, I think people shouldn't socialize through video games, that's not healthy.

its all about money now, multiplayer games require less work, are more reliable and have better longevity bc devs can keep pumping the system (service) with more anomalous shit
Skyrim was actually a good game IMO. Given the shit-tier level of FO4, it'll be interesting to see what happens to TES6
I think FO4's build shittery was Bethesda's own attempt at multiplayering TES, and it fucked sucked. Yay, build houses! This is not the fucking Sims or Minecraft, give me what I paid for or fuck off is how I felt playing that piece of shit.

making multiplayer only game, or a game focused on mp is not only easier, but also cheaper and faster. lets sum it up
MP game:
what else is there?

people shouldnt socialize at all

Why do that when you can make it P2P?

FO4 was far more sandbox than Skyrim, and as a fan of loot and shoot game, it really delivers, I appreciate that. Also, the world is extremely well designed with intricate levels of detail. The problem is the way the quests are written, it's as sandbox as the game is. Emil literally just let every staff in the office write their own idea of a quest on a small paper. While the art designers put their best effort into the game, the writing is so abysmal. It's baffling.

I'm taking programming course and I still find net programming to be more complex than creating video game AI. Story is very easy to write if you're not autistic or barely literate. Just open up a Dostoievsky book and steal a bunch of banters.

the problem was the total lack of lore, which was replaced with a boring build-a-thon.
Yeah, the world was well designed. Only problems with the game is the shit dialogue options and lore absence.

writing a good story and dialogues, chraracters and then implementing it into gameplay and a game is a fuckton work to do. which reminds me youll also need to animate your characters in more situations than just in combat/gameplay

It's also often the greatest source of challenge in games as enemy behavior in games is one of the most underdeveloped fields in the industry. RTSs still have enemies that can see through fog and gain extra resources, fighting games still read inputs and do moves that are physically impossible, etc. To get a good challenge from a single-player games, it requires a lot more work and very few games have pulled it out. For the majority of the time though, individual enemy behavior can often just boil down to very distinct of patterns that can be recognized by playing enough. Devs of SP games will work around this through mixing those individual interactions with level/ design, pacing, varying scenarios, etc - designing the game so that recognizing individual enemy behavior isn't all that important to the challenge. At this point though, we get back to the former point - making SP takes more work than MP games, especially if you want them to be good.
Maybe, but people who are already socializing with each other will eventually want to compete against each other (often in games).

Yes, yes I notice. It's understandable that people who don't like loot and shoot wouldn't like this game. However it excelled at that. And I agree that the writing is a trainwreck due to Emil's idiocy.

In Fallout 1 and 2, the quests are basically just item fetching, clean the area, find this guy, find this area, and dialogue picking. Basically giving a context to MMO tier quests. No extra animation is needed too make a good writing.

It basically turns every customer into a shill making it easier to get more sales even if the game is mediocre.

When it comes to FPS it's too much work coding AI that will have reasonable grip on tactics, ducking and dodging, knowing how to flank and use cover, deploy the right equipment for a certain circumstance, responding to what the player and his allies do. Far easier to just +damage, +number of enemies, +accuracy, +awareness and call it a day. Which is exactly what happens.

user, those games are 20+ years old 2d isometric rpgs, I thought we are talking about modern games. While that shit can pass in some indie memeretro companies it is time to move forward

Is cuck-chan down again?

You can make a single player game without a story, or actors, or writers. Scripting is a given though.

With the invention of GOAP, I think it's adequately developed. It just requires a bit of creativity to create a good AI.

Competition is not my thing, but competing in video games is literally bottom of the barrel competition.

That's quite logical.

I've coded a 2D game where the enemies can take cover and find the best spot to stay. It's not hard, you just mark the spots on the map and give AI's reaction time and confidence level. That already makes a decent AI. Those that you mentioned aren't necessary for an AI to be acceptable.

It still applies to modern games that I've seen. FarCry, Mount and Blade, etc.

user, stop being retar-
Oh.

Can you think about games that actually implement this well?
lel
I take it you've never heard of competitive vaping?

I believe that Condemned and Oblivion are the first games that implemented it. Then there are FEAR, STALKER, Fallout 3 and 4, Total War, etc. It has been an industry standard.

It's basically a way to avoid creating too many switch cases in finite state. One case can have multiple actions, and the AI will decide which action is most applicable according to assigned preconditions.

And what would it be?

Oh great, we're reaching the point where the game is old enough that some underage faggot played it when he was 6 and having eaten shit his entire life, he thinks the pile of trash is good.

I love the visuals and level design.

Skyrim or Oblivion viewed in a vacuum aren't terrible games, they are only terrible when viewed in the context of the rest of the TES series and the casualization over time.
This isn't the only case either, if I had never played a GTA game I would probably like 5 but as I have been playing since the start of the series I hate it for the removal of major mechanics.

Is this entire thread just one big bait?

Multiplayer is where you can really jew people out of their money. Every big dev out there looks at LoL, DotA2, and CS:GO with extreme envy, "We want that." It's why there has been a giant craze of devs trying to force e-sports scenes. Get people hooked on a game for years while selling them useless cosmetics that they will pay way more than 60$ for. Plus, there is way less effort involved on your part.

Pretty good, 8/10

It has to do with games getting piss easy.

SP for retards who can barely hold a controller.
MP for people who want somewhat of an even fight.
E-Sports for tryhard autists who want to go full autism on a game.

Autism level difficulty is basically non-existent in modern AAA games.

Is this entire question just one big bait?

That was the funniest shit ever.

Is making a multiplayer game cheaper? Because you see publishers like 2K shit out Evolve and Battleborn and they fucking bomb.

I really wish there more games like pic related… story wise at least.

ebin

Yes they are.