When does SMT1 get good?

Honestly, either this game just isn't for me, I'm a faggot, or it's just boring as fuck. Does it get good at all? It's the first time I'm actually thinking of seeking a LP just to skip most of it. I just went through the police station.

I really don't get it. I enjoyed the fuck out of Nocturne, this shouldn't be so different.

Other urls found in this thread:

lparchive.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The translation patch has a shitload of bugs that lock off content. You'll need to apply bug fixes on top of it to play properly.

Yeah a SNES game should definitely be the same as a 3D PS2 game how could they possibly be different.

I know that, and I did. It's still boring.

I don't think you get me. The mechanics are exactly the same. You recruit fiends, you train them, fuse them, evolve them, and go through labyrinths together while siding with either Law, Chaos or none at all. Same thing.

SMT3 felt like a well cooked and spiced up pasta. Tasty, filling and satisfying. SMT1 feels like eating that same well cooked pasta with just salt if anything at all. Sure you can eat it and it will fill you up, but it's kinda eh.

Yep, you're a faggot.

Is there a text playthrough? I hate LPs to begin with because I don't enjoy listening to faggots drone on about nothing for hours.

You're just a casual, OP. You just can't handle an old school dungeon crawler because it doesn't have fancy 3d graphics and simple dungeon layouts.

Search Longplay, nigger

If the game was actually giving me any challenge apart from "every building looks exactly the same except for different colors", I wouldn't be so fucking bored. Yeah, I can handle the game just fine Satan.

Well color me a faggot, I forgot about those.

Just play the game or drop it you fucking nigger. Quit being a bitch thinking an lp will be the sane experience

It has it's moments, I like the story a lot. It's delivered sparsely but each chunk of dialogue seems to have more meaning. And the gameplay is alright for a while.

However, it feels like the game runs out of steam, runs out of new things to show you long before it ends. Around the exact point when you've heard every single music track except the one that plays in the final dungeon, so a little over halfway through - that's when it becomes a grind for me.

SMT2 is great.

the first couple of megaten games are just you running around the same 3 or 4 locations repeatedly. honestly the Persona games aren't much better.

See? That's the kind of answer I was expecting. So you'd say that if I drudge through it a bit more, it might just get more interesting then? I wanted to try SMT2 but I hear that it's a direct sequel, so I don't want to jump into the second one without playing the first.

Going back to my pasta analogy, Purse owner is when you have well cooked pasta, and add a fuckton of ketchup on it like a chimp, completely ruining any kind of flavor it could have and replacing it with sugar, chemicals and ripe tomatoes. It's fucking shit on a stick.

user, you are comparing games seperated by no less than 3 console generations and probably a decade. Of course you're playing a game that feels different. One is a first person dungeon crawl and was the third or forth attempt by Atlus at the time (the first being the Megami Tensei series) Nocturne is a third person RPG and had a new combat system in the Press Turn.

Better question, where are you at in SMT 1? I'm not going to say that SMT1 isn't a rough game to go back too in this day and age, but it has good spots and honestly I think it has the second best law/chaos heros in the mainline games (SMT2 takes the cake).

That's my favorite symbol!

I would say it is worth it enough just to see where you end up in terms of alignment. It's not a perfect game but once you get to the end of the game and think back to what it started with, you will be amazed at the change. Plus the final dungeon is extremely memorable, once you get there it's quite apparent.

SMT 2 is great but drags in some places(the parts with the tablets and the beginning sort of), it improves on the wonky map system of the first and adds interesting demons to the mix. It is a direct sequel to the first but I don't remember the game throwing too much information at you would need from completing the first game. The end game is strong as fuck and has one of the craziest endings.

lparchive.org/ Shin-Megami-Tensei-1/
This one is pretty good, all screenshots. Same guy did a couple SMT ones.

Just watch RadiouFrost's LPs

It's like you have no willpower. What a fucking weakling.

I didn't find it "got good" at any point. The purpose was to dungeon crawl and be a stat autist to transgress through the game. If you're not autistic I don't think you can complete the core games (1-2-3-SJ). Well maybe the later two because they had modern visuals to immerse you more.

It's shit and whoever recommended it to you is a hipster faggot.

It would probably be easier for people new to the series if they read up on what each stat does and that the MC can't learn magic, other than that as long as someone doesn't dump points into just luck most people can get by in the game with decent equipment and demons.

It doesn't. The dungeons don't feel like dungeons, and you are forced to fuck around overworld that isn't pleasant neither mechanically, nor aesthetically. The fact that you are constantly ambushed in human towns doesn't help either. If you are emulating a translated version, there is a chance you'll encounter some kind of bug(mine was being locked into an alignment at some point even though I was following a neutral guide).
First mt from kmt is much, much better.