CE vs Lawyers

Anyone following this? Bethesda just put all of Cheat Engine under a cease-and-desist strike. Just when they were recovering from a DDoS too.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=603312
memoryhacking.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Galoob_Toys,_Inc._v._Nintendo_of_America,_Inc.
archive.fo/XNVry
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's cheat engine?

Cheating's for fags.

I call bait.

Infringing fucking what?
They have literally no case.

Oh, I just realized what this is probably about. Cheat Engine allows you to cheat for free and these companies want to sell you cheats as DLC.

What?

"Cheat Engine, commonly abbreviated as CE, is an open source memory scanner/hex editor/debugger created by Eric Heijnen for the Windows operating system."

It's a memory editor for the PC that's often used to create trainers for games. Kind of like a gameshark or game genie.

Good luck.

Source on that?

It allows you to modify the individual bits in your computer's RAM. Creative changing of these bits can do things like give you more health or whatever. The idea of suing for this is ridiculous.

This is so fucking stupid it's funny

Then wouldn't they go after that site that sells trailers for money first?

They probably don't have a case but will force them to waste tons of money in lawyers and general litigation fees like how EA browboeats smaller companies the want to acquire.
If CE can't buck this their best bet is to clam up for about a month and go underground, then resurface with another name or just release everything they have as FOSS and say it was hacked :^)

Just go to their forum it's topic 603312

are they retarded?

It's Bethesda. So the answer is yes they are.

Most trainers are just a fancy UI over top of CE. Without CE, most of these trainers wouldn't exist. It's a fucking stupid case though and Bethesda won't win. They probably just want to starve CE of money though.

If they can sue you for making a fucking hex editor, they can sue you for making a mod.
Don't laugh.

CE already IS FOSS, which makes this case even all the more retarded.

Good thing I have a flash drive lying around with Cheatengine on it then. Christ there were game editors when I started gaming in 1998.

Will these people ever learn?

Bethesda has no case and is going to lose money if it goes to court, which it should
I'm also pretty fucking sure this is at least a month old

Yeah but I seriously doubt Bethesda knows that. From their point of view one of them is a site that sells trailers for their games for money and other puts for free, at least that's how I thought it was. I checked other sites like cs.rin.ru to see their opinion on this but looks like it's not on any other site atm

They sued Notch because he called one of his games "Scrolls"

So, it's like a shittier version of modding tools for really shallow stuff?

Is this a trial run to test the viability of suing modders?

Notch had money though. I doubt cheat engine has anything. If you don't have a boatload of money you pretty much have to roll over and take it no matter how stupid it is

It's only modding when they say so?

How did you even find this website?

In other fake news, the mad man actually admits it.

CE can be pretty useful. I like the speed hack myself, great for saving time when the game has long animations/unskippable cutscenes or just slow walking speeds. Speeds EVERYTHING up though, so it's not really much of a cheat. Easy to do though with CE, no searching, just toggle it on and set the speed.

I also used it once to make dark souls even harder. I wanted it to force gravelord disasters on. The profile I downloaded also had settings to set enemy level to NG+ and higher. Much more complicated thing to do though, had to download a preset by someone else.

This shit actually happened.
>i used to use it to cheat in flash games

I found it in your mothers cunt.

user, it's like suing Notepad because you can use it to modify or fix text. Or suing Duct Tape because you can use it to modify or fix things.

you sure it's beth and not zenimax punching from the back? anyway surely some cheat came up that fucked arround with the DRM protection or else why would they do this now, a year and a half after their lastest game came out.

Or OP is just a fag that likes to start shit up with no sources to speak of

No. It's memory editing. You can use a plethora of tricks to change values directly in your computer's memory. Some people write scripts that do the hard work for you.

I'll try to explain with my limited vocab: Let's say you're playing an RTS (only works singleplayer without more trickery) and want to cheat in more resources. You note the number of resources you have, say, 400. You select the game's running process in cheatengine, then search all of the used memory for the value 400. It'll return a shitton of memory locations. You then, say, harvest another 100 resources. Then you run a search on all of those memory locations for places that now contain 500 resources. You'll get far fewer memory locations, since all but one of those memory locations were used for other values. You then harvest another, so you have 600, and do it again. Repeat until you've only got one memory location left - that's where the amount of resources you have is stored in your computer's memory. You can then edit that value to whatever you want, up to the limit created by how many bits the value is (255 for 8-bit, 65535 for 32-bit, etc - assuming that it's a flat integer, floating points and negative values get really weird really quickly). So you enter in 30000, alt-tab back into the game, and the game thinks that's how many resources you have.

On top of that, CE has extensive scripting support. Some stupidly smart programmer in their basement lair will make a script that does all the hard work and uses magic and pointers and shit, all specific to a single game, and you just load it up and run it and it magically works.

For example, I got really fucking sick of the fact that in DXHR, your energy only regens the first bar, making all the energy upgrades useless and limiting how much you use abilities to how many goddamn jars of protein powder you can find. So I dug up a script someone wrote that detects when you're at an even number of energy bars and then adds a tiny amount of energy, which then make's the game continue regenerating the next bar, and then the next, etc. I then had a badass playthrough with lots of invisibility cloak and SMG action, Ghost in the Shell style. Most fun I've ever had in the game. You can do just about anything as long as it's not a multiplayer game where things are verified by a server - money hacks, speedhacks, godmode, etc.

There are ways to block people from doing it, of course. FC4 had some kind of protection that stopped me from giving myself extra money with the simple method, but I don't know how those work. I'm not at all good with low-level computing.

It's like search engines are beyond you lot. Also, see

maybe you should go back

the founder of Zenimax has ties to Democratic lobbies, in other words top-ranking kikes, so expect them to be able to do whatever the fuck they want whenever.

Actually they tried to outlaw copy paste not even kidding. It's literally illegal to copy paste something from a site.

The source is a literal Brony?

Didn't google sue the html5 project because you could save youboob videos from their applet?

Backup domain after the DDoS yesterday; you'd be better off asking Darkbyte why he's such a flaming horsefucker.

With all of the random benis in bagina pics with Holla Forums timestamps, i wouldn't be surprised.

I think the name already gives it away.

Hacking storytime?

>want to be like those 1337 [email protected]/* */, even know what Holla Forums is
Continue?

Sure.

Good ending, though.

Pic related, old photo of some of my kit at home. Dad now comes to me for spare parts and lab advice, since he's moved on to databases and automation processes.

What's it like being IT? Thinking about majoring ot in college but everyone just tells me "lol you just install google chrome in offices" and not anything to do with actual server managing and junk like that.
What's it really like?

Thread link: forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=603312

I wish him luck with finding a lawyer, because this is serious bullshit. Personally, I prefer L Spiro's Memory Hacking Software. Never really used cheat engine. memoryhacking.com/

on that note, if I wanted to go into IT, but I have a software engineering degree, is that a sufficiently related field?

Bethesda confirmed retards?

What the fuck? Usually if someone is better than average with IT he is awarded for it not punished.

Does Bethesda even make any multiplayer games? Who gives a shit?

Running into fellow trainer users in MGS V is pretty fun.

that hasn't been the case for the better part of a decade now.

IT is an absurdly broad field. Your friends are talking about helpdesk, the low-level plebs that deal with users all day. Most people will start off their career with helpdesk, then pick a specialty. A lot of that is very context-dependent - I live in a small state and have only worked at small businesses, so there's no way I'm going to break into storage administration, which is big enough to be its own thing now.

If you're looking to break into IT with no prior experience other than being good with computers, it's the helpdesk for you. It sucks ass, and weans out the weak and those who aren't cynical enough for the field. If you're curious and catch on fast, you want to find something you like and try to latch onto people doing just that. Shadow them, learn about their job. While on the helpdesk, you want to study and get certifications - things like basic VMware and MS certs. Don't go for CompTIA's A+ cert unless you're getting it before going into helpdesk, it's worthless for getting anything higher.

One of the best things you can do is buy some equipment (doesn't have to be big and fancy) and start putting together an enterprise network in your bedroom. Treat it like you're running an actual company. But really, don't bother with any of that until you're stable on a helpdesk job and have caught onto things like best practices, and what a domain is, the basics of IPv4, etc. Labs should be your intermediate step, the method you use for breaking out of helpdesk/user support and into what can actually be considered IT.

As for what it's actually like, again, it's really context dependent. Small business sysadmins will probably be doing absolutely everything IT-related for the organization, and need a very broad skillset, and can expect shit pay and treatment in most places to boot - but you learn a ton. Helpdesk is shit, you're dealing with normalfags. Enterprise sysadmin, you won't deal much with users, you get retarded management instead, and executives that don't understand the arcana. Netadmin is all extremely arcane. MSP technicians/engineers can expect everything from drop-everything-and-run mission-critical on-site work, to running cat5 through walls. Everyone above helpdesk needs to have decent project management skills. Beyond that, I can't really speak to it.

Really, the key is having the spark for it. The profession regularly burns people out and drives them into the ground. Alcoholism is rampant. You have to enjoy the work enough to keep moving and keep learning.

I really, really hate to shill anything leddit, but check out /r/sysadmin. It's a haven for industry professionals where they can talk straight with each other, and you can learn a lot just by reading there. It's also very good for aggregated news.

Sorta. You could look into devops, that's a massive fad right now. Make sure you've got a good portfolio, maybe contribute to some open source projects, and always, ALWAYS be willing to learn new things. The field is constantly and dramatically shifting.

lol, don't I wish. I've seen it happen since. Retarded normalfags fear that which they do not understand, and even simple tasks with a computer are beyond their comprehension. "Because hackers" is almost as good as "for the children" in politics, these days.

C&Ds don't mean shit, they aren't legally binding.

Nintendo tried this shit back in the 80's with Galoob/Camerica or whoever it was that was distributing the Game Genie at the time.
They argued the Game Genie was infringing on their copyright because it allowed gamers to make derivative works, but the judge ruled that one of the requirements for something to be considered a derivative work was that it could exist on it's own. Games modified with Game Genie/Cheat Engine can't exist without a copy of the original game, so of course they wouldn't be derivative works.

Pretty cool judge, understanding video games and what they were talking about when tvidya was at such an early stage

You telling me that everyone who is better than average is punished? Its fucked up.

Someone who's legitimately talented and has aspirations is harder to control.

I suppose back then vidya was treated in the same way as regular computer software, but it's still pretty cool.

welcome to the ideology of Tall Poppy Syndrome/Crabs-in-a-Bucket/whatever simile that fits

A software debugging tool.

You can't fool me you fucking hacker.

(checked)
But user, don't you know that if you can do more than install 57 toolbars into internet explorer you're an evil hacker. You're not a hacker, are you?

Every time.

Oh no you don't.

IT ain't bad tho. From what i can tell they mostly sit around doing nothing in their darkened IT office cave down the hall.

a bunch of made up bullshit where he backpedals and makes shit up as he goes along

A grim possibility. This is Beth/Zenikike we are talking about. Remember when people scoff at Horse Armour and how 'it would not sell'? And that was how they became the pioneer of the most disgusting form of kikery now known as DLC. Now they are pulling it again on 'cheat codes'. We better start nipping this shit in the bud before now P2W/DLC takes another step in evolution.

at least its a bretty guud bs story

I'm a software engineer in an IT organization. It's the worst of both worlds.

Mostly programming, but also a lot of system administration and level 3 support when a problem occurs that customer support and sysadmins don't know how to handle.

I'm calling it now, soon Bethesda will bring back paid mods but this time shut down any who don't comply.

Which makes Beth's involvement even sillier considering console commands and mods are there, unless those idiots are going to start charging for that as well.

The moment you introduce a permanent system for paid mods is the moment modding dies. It's as simple as that. No one is gonna bother wasting time and effort making some passionate total conversion or overhauling a game from top to bottom when they can make some meme mod in under two hours and sell it for $2.

why are mods about money these days?
in ye old days of splendor people did it for free.

have you considered finding a modder you like and simply offering him the cash to make the mod? Not everything needs a formal system.

Doing stuff for fun and epeen is so 2003. It's all about the money now. People think money will improve mods? What makes a good mod is the creators put their heart and soul into it.

Don't know how legitimate all this is, but if CE is FOSS, the Electronic Frontier Foundation might step in to provide legal help. That's one of their major functions, to keep FOSS projects from being sued out of existence by wealthier commercial competitors.

You should inform the shlong-swallowing ponyfag admin about that.

Are you familiar with the name "Harrison Bergeron"?

Precedent is against this ruling. Hope the EFF take notice and hook him up with good representation.

land of the retards home of the idiots

It could get better.

That doesn't matter when you have an army of jew lawyers and a fuckton of money to burn through. They can just get their way through attrition.

i want off this ride

Recording TV shows was nearly declared illegal. VCRs (and everything that came from them like movie rentals) wouldn't have been a thing if Mr. Rogers hadn't stepped in and told the judge to let kids record his show and watch it when they have time.

This. Laws mean whatever you can convince a judge they mean. If the first judge doesn't buy it, just keep appealing until you find one that does or your opponent goes bankrupt from legal fees. "Rule of law" is an illusion.

Juice gonna juice.

And Europe doesn't even have free speech.

This is why some people lust for the Great Happening/Day of the Rope that Holla Forums often speaks of. Some people just need killing.

FUCK ADVERTISING
They only get away with shit like this because they do it by degrees. The slow boiled frog analogy.
Make sure you talk to your gaming friends and, really, anyone that will listen. Try to keep as many people as you know away from the zombie making devices. Install ad blockers for everyone you know. Cut the cord and quit watching TV with commercials. Make your preferences known.

FUCK ADS.

C&Ds aren't legally binding, dumb shit

Autism.

i think this video paints the stark reality of that phrase

lol

Mr. Rogers, may he rest in piece was the Hero we needed.
We need more Mr. Rogers in this world.

WEW

Sadly it's not just Burgers. Jews are everywhere.

In Germany a media mogul tried to outlaw adblock plus.

archive.fo/XNVry

Those fucking faggots should each be punched in the god damn nose. They have never been in it for the passion. They just want another soapbox and money that didn't come from their parents.
God damn, i'm slightly salty now.

DELET THIS

What is this, germanistan?

Is that the reason why some of their threads for semi recent games are being deleted?

Fug, I love using CE in games to switch to characters in areas where I wouldn't normally be able to play as them.

bongland and uk have it iirc

What's worse is when it's such an easy problem you try to show them how to fix it themselves but they shut down and can't seem to grasp basic shit.

I had a situation like that with Flash Games however the IT guy told her it was fine and she stopped.

They really should have overthrown their government by now.

come on post the rest of it.

I could have gone the entire day without reading that fucking copypasta. God damn, I'm glad my family fell apart and I became part of a latchkey family. I have a sinking feeling my life was quickly going that direction back then.

CE is just one of many. Lots of editors and injectors out there. Besides, they don't have a case here. A C&D is worthless and Todd needs to hang himself.

Feels good, man.

I want to see the shitstorm erupt from something this retarded.

for fucks sake, it was Zenimax Media that filed it under their Bethesda Game Studios company. It's a copyright infringement suit because the CE logo looks like the BGS logo. They used a cease and desist order specifically to remove the infringing item immediately.

I doubt this will even go to court since the copyright on a fucking safe icon is null anyways. If they used the same typeface as Bethesda's logo then it would be illegal but this is probably just zionmax's lawyers starting shit like usual. Remember the scrolls fiasco? All them.

This is the ultimate showdown!

Im going into IT now. What entry level certs do you recommend? I want to get into networking so CCNA is an obvious choice.

But he did throw anything in.

I hope this is the case but they did say that Bethesda was representing other companies in this as well (unless we're talking about other companies under the "Zenimax" umbrella).

Why local broadcast tv so shit?

You realize that frog had most of its brain ripped out right?

Focus on CCNA and CCNA only, then. It's an absolute bitch to get, you don't need to be distracted by other certs. Maybe get your CCENT first, if you don't already have a solid grasp on your basics.

Why do big companies do this shit? Are they bored and just want to fuck around? Is this the corporate version of shitposting?

How will I hack maplestory now?

Zenimax owns a fuckload of companies so it's probably the latter. It's the same deal with the paid mods crap, almost entirely zenimax jewing it up then when the goyim get mad they pin it on their subsidiary. It's worked really well for them so far, everyone blames bethesda for zenimax being a bunch of kikes and they never get any shit for it. I'm surprised EA never thought to do that.

half my family is lawyers, 9 times out of 10 they get cases from large companies specifically to dick people around. EA is fucking infamous for that shit, you sue a tiny studio and they go bankrupt trying to represent themselves in court. Zenimax does the same shit with less than stellar results. When they sued mojang it was obvious they were hoping to buy them up but I don't think they realized just how much money notch had.

It is probably because Creation Engine sounds a bit too similar to Cheat Engine. They are getting bolder since they somehow managed to win the VR case. Bethesda is Jewing it up. It's a good thing the games are getting worse and worse and the modder base/quality is slowly diluting. Anyone with sense would have already gone off to Unity or Unreal instead of wasting time with something as locked down as Havok/Creation Engine.

Wow, so Bethesda is literally using mafia tactics (DDoSing in particular)? That's awesome. Well at least they make functional, QA-tested, bug-free games with great, hand-crafted, original design. Oh wait they don't even make decent games.

Really boggles the mind that Bethesda, to this day, is still trying to pass off their Gamebryo engine as something new. worse is that mouthbreathers fall for it The cherry on the shit sundae is that their incompetence even inhibits proper usage of their assets.

Not mentioned is the fee covers 100+ free channels, including softcore pornography.

What is the minimum knowledge one needs to get a lowest tier position in programming?

I'm nearing the end of my studies which were really basic so all of this career stuff is pretty scary to me. What's expected of you?

Yeah no. Ever watched American TV? If you're American you don't even notice it I guess but literally commercials every 5 minutes. It is Democratic Republic of Corporations.

Reminder that the frog in that story was lobotomized, so the idiots that fall for this shit are as dumb as a lobotomized frog.