Chrono Trigger

I want to play an RPG as good as Chrono Trigger, this is the only game in the genre that clicked for me and i finished it 3 times (the PSX version, because it was all i had) and loved absolutely everything about it. Are there any?
Also Chrono Trigger thread i guess.

Live a Live and the 16 bit Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games are similar to Chrono Trigger in terms of style. In terms of quality, I'd say Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time, Terranigma, and the Lunar games are in the same tier, but you may have a different opinion. What specifically did you like about Chrono Trigger?

you can try the DS remake
how about Chrono Cross? It's different, but fun its own way.

Huh?

Try the Earth trilogy:
Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma.

dear god

Also play some SE PS1 era JRPGs and see what floats yer boat.

I was going to suggest this. It plays different from CT but the story and world feels very much the same. It's a very good game besides.

How does this song make you feel OP?

Chrono Cross is better, go play that.

Both are good.

Terranigma must be pretty good, i take it.

I've heard mixed things about it from some folks here so i kept away from it.

Nostalgic, odd since i have never played that game.

If you regard it as a game by itself it's without a doubt a really good game. Some people dislike because it isn't the sequel to Chrono Trigger that they wanted. Others dislike it because of plot revelations vis a via Chrono Trigger. I would encourage you to give it a try.

So you could have finished it at least 6 times on any other version, then. Chrono Trigger just isn't matched, though. There's plenty of great JRPGs but there's never going to be another of CT's caliber.

I liked Xenogears better. Better soundtrack too.

There are no JRPGs that are just like Chrono Trigger. The closest you can get is to play some of the more popular mid-to-late 90s JRPGs that are out there.

Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy 6 and 7
Wild Arms
Breath of Fire 3
Dragon Quest 3 SNES remake - official english release is mobile-only; unofficial fan translation available for emulation
Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean - note that Saturn emulation is a giant pain and the game is expensive as fuck on ebay
Super Mario RPG - similar to CT in that they're both very easy and comfy, and both were made by Squaresoft in their prime
Earthbound - similar to CT in the lack of random battle encounters and you see monsters on the map, otherwise it's closer to a typical Dragon Quest game

The entire Dragon Quest series is better then Chrono Trigger.

It's a very good game. The soundtrack isn't nearly as memorable as CT, but the gameplay is great.

FF6 is the closest thing and CT is still the better game

You can also try Earthbound, it's different enough and it might surprise you (ignore both fanatics and haters and make your own mind)

Xenogears started out as a sequel to Chrono Trigger and diverged into its own thing.

Speaking of sequels to Chrono Trigger there's Radical Dreamers.

I'd add Actraiser 1 to that list, even though it's a god game/ARPG hybrid. Enix actually did great by publishing Quintet games. Too bad it got cancerous after it became Squeenix. Somehow both companies were fine before but once the merger happened, it became a pure garbage monolith.

It is, but it's not a lot like Chrono Trigger. You play as one guy and the combat is real time. There's also a lot of city building from about chapter 3 onward.

Just like Chrono Cross :^)

Chrono Cross is a sequel to Xenogears that got turned into a Chrono Trigger game.

this happened quite some time ago before i even had a PC.

not necessarily what you are asking for, but games that should be coming out soon are Cosmic Star Heroine and Cross Code. keep an eye out. I pirated Cross Code and plan on buying the full thing if they don't fuck it up by the time they release.

Phantasy Star IV

How do you spell LARA on the PS1 version?

Really? How were the cast of Xenogears going to play into the story originally, or were they just going to take place in the same universe?

Chrono Trigger more like Chronic Nigger am I right lol

There aren't many as good as CT mate. But try some of these:
FF6
Mother 3
Lunar 2
Skies of Arcadia
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Phantasy Star IV
Lufia 2
The various Mario RPGs
Nearly anything by Quintet.

No

No. It's unfinished and the writing is absolute trash.

WTF are you cunts on about? Cross is a remake of Radical Dreamers.

I'm so sorry user. Those 60 second load times were brutal.

There needs to be an anime adaptation of chrono trigger. The modding scene for the SNES version is pretty good also.

Yes. CS is the better game, and is far more replayable.

Interestingly both Cross and Dreamer are still in continuity with Trigger.

Chrono Cross was originally a completely different game, and was going to be its own thing until SE noticed the huge demand for a CT sequel.
So, over halfway through development, they told the dev team "tough shit, fuck you, this is a CT sequel now."
The writer for the game was incredibly butthurt that his "magnum opus" was being raped because of this, so any and all connections to CT are purely to shit on both that game and the fans of that game. It's a slap to the face of anyone who liked CT and frankly I think CS can go fuck itself as a result.

As for gameplay, it's okay, but I didn't like it. I wasn't a fan of the battle system and RPGs filled to the brim with autistically easy to miss content pisses me off.
The game is filled with shit like that.

I don't know why I kept typing CS for Chrono Cross, but I meant Chrono Cross. Sage for doublepost.

That doesn't exist.

With that said, you could try some good ones that are similar in some way. Ever played Radiant Historia for the DS? You might want to check that out.

This one's comfy as fuck, I should replay it sometime

how is the writing of Xenogears trash?

Only Viper Manor. The body switch onward, especially Chronopolis, Terra Tower and the ending are recycled things that were cut/only partially developed from the second half of Xenogears. This is especially obvious when you find out the save points are spying on you in Xenogears, then Cross, then Saga as well. Also Queen Zeal and Miang are developments of the same character theme/archetype. Wilhelm is the third version. Obviously we don't need to make the connection between Mayneth and Mary (Animus) and Zanza and Yeshua (Anima). Mayneth wanted to expand beyond their bodies, Zanza to contract them into himself, same purposes the two forces filled in the greater meta-series, which is why Telethia are the more or less the same exact thing as Gnosis and Wels.