3D Audio from Valve

Muh dik
==THIS SHIT NEEDS TO HAPPEN IN CURRENT YEAR
archive.is/LOQqu

Sure lad

my ears feel all tingly. I like this.

Wow, this is total garbage.
Turning a corner won't completely silence all sound that is heard, that's not how sound works.

This is a tech demo faggot, they wanted to show the sound stopping but they didn't want to make an xbox hueg ass map for it because people don't want to wait for them to walk away.

Yeah, it's a shitty tech demo, because software emulated EAX sounds better in The Dark Mod and Thief.

So what's the catch? How is this going to make Valve money? And when is Impulsonic going to be sued out of existence by Creative Labs?

If it was, I could hook this up to a freetard rendering engine and make a stupid little demonstration of this for you faggots, but Valve had to be kikes as usual and keep the source code to themselves. The alternative is learning fucking Unity or building against some C header files and I'm not wasting my time with that shit.

I'd like more games implementing good audio tech.

It shows off VR tech

Here's version with reverbs and shit.

i think thats what that means m8.

there is literaly nothing to learn if you just want to make a little demonstration. its like 5 minutes of getting used to the layout.

Hasn't 3D audio been industry standard for 12 years?

The Unity SDK doesn't support Linux yet anyways.

It's "free" as in "you get what you paid for", not Free as in Freedom.

This is really nice. I'm an audiophile and this pisses me off in games I play by myself since it shatters natural immersion. Stalker is the best game to do it thus far but maybe future games will implement this usinc Source 2.

Nice, no more being on the other side of a wall yet hearing the NPC conversation perfectly. I'd like to see how this could affect stealth games. I think one of the Thief games tried to do something similar.

AMD just released a demo of this shit being used for something that isn't red balls in blue rooms.

The first two Thief games supported A3D and you can still get HRTF support in them if you set up OpenAL-Soft correctly.

Bullshit, you can work with it in Linux and even Build your games for Linux last I checked.
And the other user is right, there's practically nothing to learn as long as you can code in Java or C#.

Is this thing a plugin you can download?

Check the archives link

The Unity SDK supports building for Linux but not running the SDK in Linux. I vaguely remember something about a beta build for that, but don't know where to find it.
There is a plugin but I'm not spoonfeeding you because it's really easy to find from OP's link.

Found it pretty easily, I was just afraid that it was for sale in their shop at a steep price.

This is good tech and I hope it's used all the damn time now, but do expect some shitty horror games or "experiences" to show up now and try to bank solely on this.

Was, but pretty much reset to 0 after consumer interest died and MS dropped Directsound.
It's making a comeback thanks to VR but I doubt it will last long.

This changes what, now?
Either way, eat shit Creative. I hope their legal team is shitting bagels.

About time, I was thinking about this very idea a month ago. Good game level design requires audio like this in order to raise immersion.

just checking

Alright, let's do this.

Post some webbums /agdg/ user

Never mind. Into the trash it goes.

Don't have anything fancy to show at the moment besides hair and water.
Working on the levels right now.

What's wrong with vcredist 2015?

I ain't gonna have people install that just for a sound lib. The engine doesn't need it.

You poor thing.

One of the many groundbreaking technologies to be used for HL3, right?

Who gives a fuck about sound, this thread is now about this anons game.
Can you tell us more about it?

3D audio is already a thing though isn't it?

Always good to see technology from aeons ago. Maybe we'll have 60fps and good level design next, THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS

Dubs confirm that in the coming years vidya will start gradually crawling back towards pre-CURRENT_YEAR design and framerates. Hopefully this also means that official HD texture pack mods will stop being ~60 GB while looking worse than Nexus texture pack mods that are ~2 GB.

I always thought the "ancient civilization that was far more advanced than ours" trope in fiction was shit and dumb but here we are.

Dude why are you posting this here?

This still sounds completely unrealistic, unless the effect is being dramatized.

Keep dreaming Goldstein.

Huh, I never noticed this stuff. Any games that take advantage of 3 dimensional audio?

It still sounds wierd

You just started playing games today or what?

Tell me she has a nude model

You just started being a smart ass today or what? I said I never noticed 3d audio like in the OP.

Theres plenty, but you need specific executables, before that even specific hardware and most games don't enable it by default.

Breddy gud, I remember that UT2004's map editor had support for super-detailed audio shit like this and always liked the concept even though it didn't work for me. I wonder if it's disorienting when you make fast turns.

FACT SHEET
>run around shitty quake levels a mix of scifi and castle looking environments

cause I wanted to try this lib out and post results, but it's not gonna happen unless they compile it without it making it dependent on gigabytes worth of bloat

and of course, I forgot to actually namedrop it
not like it matters

Can she slap enemies to death with her jiggly asscheeks?

(checked)
That's really cool

I'm pretty sure the tech in that demo was bought and killed by a competitor. Nobody else has tried to recreate it until now

Is the sound file itself 3d or is it environmental effects?

From what I've seen in other things that use something similar, stuff like this is mainly environmental effects. Like you've got a coordinate the sound is coming from, then it does calculations based on what's obstructing its path to the player, what kind of material is surrounding the sound's path, and it factors in all these variables to play the sound at the appropriate position, volume, pitch, etc.

Now I just want looking glass to get back together and make Thief 3

You better have a short hair option. please, the clipping triggers my autism

So, nothing actually new?

It's not dependent on the source engine, it runs on unity and unreal as well.

Are you the refined-quality autiste who I was speaking with about 3D audio a couple months ago?

This is exciting news.

Probably not, but there have been some top-tier posters in audio threads.

Not great.
The wait for something remotely as good as A3D continues.

oh its this faggot with his uncreative weebtrash game

your game is shit, quit shilling this trash on Holla Forums

KYS.

How do you shill something if it's not for sale?

U wot m9
That dev doesn't have shillings to buy shills with.

>>>/jp/

It never went away. Sure companies stopped giving it attention, but nothing stops devs from using things such as OpenAL-Soft. All it needs is someone to shill it to jewish developers so they actually bother with doing more than "playback audio file" for their sound system. Even without it, nobody is holding a gun to the head of developers and telling them not to make their own sound system. Talent has been completely missing for years in the game industry.
As to that demo hopefully they're only pumping it up for test purposes but the audio occlusion is far too strong, and the directional audio is really good.

Hey, it's the user with the waifu game. Sup nerd.

They probably cranked the settings up heavily to demonstrate how the technology works.

That's a good one dude. OpenAL has never sounded as good as A3D, and while no one is holding a gun to developers' heads, there is the legitimate risk of being sued.

Why are people calling binaural audio "3D audio" and acting like it's new?

Corpse Party of all games had it.

Binaural audio is only tangentially related to what's being discussed in this thread.
And no one claimed 3D positional sound is new. The first sentence of the OP includes the word "comeback."

with dlcs

Valve could be making Half Life 3, or some other actual game people want, but instead they're fucking around making 3D Haircut: The Game.

People who don't think 3D audio is a lot more important than some new shitty game by Valve really need to go back to Reddit.

You're the real reddit here.

Can you slap her jiggly asscheeks?

That moe piece of shit with single defining feature being meat wiggle physics does not even look like a robot.

You sure seem to have a serious case of brain damage.

She looks like the girl from Xenosaga der wille zu macht

You're missing the point anons, this is more about incentivizing game developers into putting 3d audio into their games that doesn't suck.
Devs got traumatized after the kikery by creative labs.

If they made half life 3, you know it would be shit. Just look at any recent game of theirs. Also how does a nigger get that fat? I'm guessing by the pic he mostly eats low fat plants.

I thought this thread was gonna be cool. I was wrong.

It's better but it still sounds too far away there's a step between those phases that's missing.

aha aha aha