"Double life" games

Have there ever been any games where you have to, say for example, balance normalfag life with the life of a crimefighter/ Henshin hero? Have they ever been done well?

I remember playing an untranslated vampire game for the PS1 where you have to go out and do vampire shit in some sleepy victorian town once nightfall rolls around.

Probably not because the non-super hero side would be boring as fuck, what are you gonna do? Watch a cutscene where you got to school and that's it?

No More Heroes.

Isn't that mostly what nu-persona is about?

hmm, I can't think of any series where that's a recent focus

Aah shit. I guess.

I was hoping for something a little more stylish but okay.

Superhero games, but not so much, looking at Ultimate Spider-Man and Batman Arkham series, you only get to see their civilian identities in a couple of minutes or so. Now spy games, Alpha Protocol had you either be full guns a blazing or stay in undercover, but don't think that's living double lives thing.

No more Heroes 2 was better because it streamlined normalfag life so you could get to the fights quicker

r u retard?

Overwrought is not stylish.

Could you give an example of stylish then?

except you balance jack shit in that series.

True, That's just a theme, the overall series is stylish though, just like people would say a tim burton movie is stylish, It's just of color and dark atmosphere is incredibly stylish. Look at any persona 3 promotional art and tell me it's not stylized to fuck with checker patterns and shades of cool colors mixed with black and white scenery.

P3 is like that, balancing a life at school with fighting monsters.

You need social skills in order to craft stronger personas, but you also need to grind skills and money to buy stuff, however you also need to complete the dungeons before the time runs out. Every time you enter a dungeon, it's a day you could have spent going out with your friends or grinding your skills. It is possible to do an entire dungeon in one day(though I only played P4, so I don't know about the others), but if it takes you two or even three days to complete, well though luck. The day you want to go into a dungeon, must be carefully picked as well, say you want to go on Sunday, but on Sunday morning you get a phone call from your friend and he wants to go out with you. Do you accept his invitation to increase your bond with him or go to the dungeon?

This.
The lack of these type of games dissapoints me and I already considered it devving one of these just to make it exist, but I'm lazy, uninspired and already working in other game before greenlit goes dead

Do you even P5?

The persona series is all about Japanese high schoolers that battle demons at night, and you have to go to school, and manage relationships along the way. I only played the fourth one to learn the story for the fighting game, though. I don't like jrpgs, and this one was extra gay. They know just how shitty and grindy their game is, so they literally give you a button to speed up combat.

Yeah, Persona

What are you even talking about? Do you even know what character development means?

In P3, you are not forced into finishing the dungeon before the final date, you face a boss fight at that date and the dungeons are your way of grinding to fight said boss. But like P4, the dungeon also has its own boss that I don't really remember if it's obligatory or not, but beating him not only gives you certain assurance that you will not be stomped by the date boss, but gives you plot candy as well.

The dungeon also looks quite differently from P4, it's the same dungeon in the whole game and it only has slight variations in music and wall/ground textures (but a huge variations in enemies, obviously). You can theoretically finish the dungeon in one run, but after some time your characters will get weary and fight way worse indirectly suggesting you to quit and go home, the twist is, the weariness will remain until next day affecting your performance at school and preventing you from going to dungeon again. So it's a risk, will you go in the dungeon in short sessions to avoid getting tired or will you persist for a while knowing your shit and risking your scores, relationships and possibly a game over? If that's enough, if you stay too long in a floor, Death literally appears and rapes you, Chocobo's Dungeon 2 style. I really wanted to know if that's some japanese dungeon game internal joke or something

Why do games do that?

Blue Reflection, coming this month from Gust (in JPN).

Shieet. That looks even more gay than Purse Owner.

>Implying any persona you get from making out links is worth it as you already for a majority of them need to be 20 levels too high for the final boss to use them. Exception of Odin and Surt in 3 which you'd actually make in a speed run since the time you save by demolishing bosses's shit without entering the tower for months outweighs time lost leveling like in a normal run
Of fucking course, every time.
Go because you already should have done the dungeon and be probobly over leveled for the next one, nothing to manage, just go.
TL:DR
S.links do nothing of value except for turbo grinding autists or mini maxing speed runner and don't require social skills as it's so easy the most out of touch autist could have your shit waifu fall in love with them.
Timer is worthless and only serves to elongate the game by after doing the dungeon you're going to bed 30 times waiting for shit of merit.
In P3 and 4 you can get all S.links (excluding ones on last month basis) with a month left of time, take you're fuck everything persona and go easily just by doing basic management.

The all out attack in 5 is stylish as fuck, especially when it ends on the dramatic shot of a party member as the opponents split open.

Megaman Starforce has this but they blown their load on the secret identity first game since they didn't expect sequels.

Eeeeegh, Purse Owner it is then.

I was hoping for a game where I can slip out of my jeans and into some crazy spandex and motorcycle helmet combo but fuck it. Persona will have to do.

The megaman starforce series has you being a secret superhero for most of it until the finale.

Off the top of my head, megaman starforce does pretty much exactly this, but it's only a decent game, not great. If your pic related is more up your alley, you could always try Sailor Moon: Another Story, but you have to be pretty far in the series to understand wtf is going on.

It is a mystery, Anonymous-dono

Both sides of his life are rollercoasters of crazy.

Use your imagination, fam.

The nighttime levels are dull enough to work as a stand-in for having a day job.

And I'm not sure if it counts, but a ton of Visual Novel/RPG Hybrids would probably count under this.

You do a battle for half an hour
Then you talk to your units and develop the plot for the next hour
Wash, rinse, repeat

It's actually a pretty good system if you want gameplay but you're also interesting in just watching characters interact while a story unfolds slowly.
Sengoku Rance, Utawarerumono, Kamidori Alchemy Meister, Eien no Aselia, Big Bang Age, Galaxy Angel…
These are all games that can probably fit your concept of "balancing normal life with being a hero" through both gameplay and storytelling, but none of them are exactly what you're looking for.

Have you ever noticed how long it takes for that to happen?
4 minutes
(in the overworld anyway)
so yea I guess kinda a joke. If you look at those games where that happens, it's usually either 40 seconds or 4 minutes. If they want to do 5 minutes, they set it up so he starts appearing at 4:40

anyway, who says his 'mundane' life has to be so mundane? What if you were a superhero that was also a miner? Ehh? Eh?

It was a good game until Rance gets cucked big time then it wasn't good.

Eien no Aselia has fun gameplay but the VN portions of it was like eating glass. With a game like this it's usually the other way around.

Because it would boil down to either
You're asking for sizable plot portions to break up the action and actual gameplay.

How do you mean? You mean not getting to fuck that fox girl?

Rune Factory? You have to balance between farming, the town, and dungeons outside the town.

because theyre games and if you wanted the story you could just watch the mango

I wonder how resting your head on girls chest feels like…

It feels great.
sorry

You know how no matter what you do in life, it always feels like you're missing something? That hot dull ache in your chest down as deep inside of you as you can feel? Getting your head pulled into an inviting chest and secured there is what is missing.

Thank the skypes for making the woman's place in the world not as a firm but reassuring presence in the household to one of the shrill ham beast loosed on society which demands alimony and equal pay for unequal work.

The Sims 3
Hear me out user, if you mod it, and have the proper expansions it can be a double life paradise for the most part
I have fun doing this I made a vampire who burglarizes homes at night.

Not him but hear me out.
Imagine you go to the grocery store to get milk, or something stupid.
Robbery happens.
But oh shit you can't transform, people will realize who you are! You gotta find a way to stop the robbery without transforming or finding a secure enough place to.

It would implement some simulation aspects to it like you can ignore paying bills or borrow money from the mafia and have to pay it back. Something around those lines. If you can fight bad guys, I guess the game could allow the bad guys to get involved with your normalfag identity.

Bump.

Holla Forums

I'm not aware of one, but I have to say this is actually an intriguing idea. But the "normal life" part would have to actually be fun.

Perhaps something in the rich-guy hero genre (e.g. batman, ironman) where you have to balance crime fighting with running your business empire would work.

It would be hard to do right, basically they would have to create two good games and then figure out how to integrate them.