Translating games as you play

Why is this?
How do you anons play games in foreign languages?

Other urls found in this thread:

monsterhunteronline.in/translation/
microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/translator/9wzdncrfj3pg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I just fucking play them?
I mean even tactics games like Super Robot Wars don't really require you to actually know language, just remember which point in menu does what.
You don't need to know jap to play jap games, I have no idea where this weird meme came from to being with.

Games mostly all are generally the same in the end to the point you can play them blind or using those automatic translation programs. Not like there has been any real innovation in gaming for years anyway.

This exists and for a very long time now and it's mostly used for VNs. Go to the VN threads and ask.

There were anons a few days back that asked for a Taiko no Tatsujin translation….
I have already lost hope.

You play JP games same as every other game.

The key word is "enough".
I can't make sense of "ฉันรูวาเดกทีรักซุปหัวหอม", but I can make sense of "I know kids love the onion soup."

I get what you're saying, they aren't unplayable in any way.
But I just can't enjoy something that isn't communicating with me. I can do without flavor text, but dialogue directionss and names are vital to me.

Really? I did search for it but all I found was google translate's app camera thingy.
I remember some programs that ran over some VN's files and machine translated the files responsible for text, are you sure you're not talking about this and not actual screen image translation?

What's next? Somebody ask for a Sound Voyager or LSD translation? Truly nobody can be that retarded, right?

Write it yourself and sell it. Ayn Rand is rolling her grave.

Translate this.
*shits on floor*

It's Indian for "This is my home now."

"Enough" is usually not enough. You know how people say writing in games sucks? They're right but these shitty machine translations make them even worse. It doesn't help when some dumbass plays with a text hooker and thinks they know the story enough to bitch about how bad it was- they were too busy figuring out what "I (the house) curse hate" means to actually follow a plot or appreciate whatever writing skill there was in the first place.

Actually it's not, spreading cow shit is because cows rule the world apparently and human shit is only for shitting street.
See? An important thing lost in translation.

Go be a xenophile somewhere else.

YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE

its not

Holy fuck those dubs. Alright, an actual answer; machine translation is only good for literal translation, and you have to have some innate understanding of the meaning behind the phrase in both languages before you can begin to even decipher the message. Machine translation doesn't mesh well with idiomatic, slang, and various other literary devices that we use in natural speech.

IN JUST 2 YEARS

STOP PLAYING FOREIGN GARBAGE

BUT THIS IS A WORLD WITHOUT BORDERS! THERE IS SO SUCH THING AS A FOREIGN LAND

You fucked up

sUIAWT The fuckare you aatking aboyt?

All I stumbled upon programs that hooked the game text such as VNR.
Doesn't seem to work well with anything that isn't a VN.
Meanwhile I pop up my phone and use it to look at japanese tect from elona and it just works, the problem is that resolution when recording doesn't help and the camera keeps moving a little bit, so the text keeps morphing, it does become very accurate sometimes while morphing into crazy sizes.

Look, all I want to do is play these Digimon games because they tie into the anime. And I did the Google app shit OP was talking about, and it actually was working well enough. It wasn't perfect, but with my knowledge of the franchise I could understand everything just fine. The problem is just that it took forever to constantly take pictures of my screen and divide the sentences. If this weren't an RPG I could probably manage this way, but it begs the question, why do I have to use my phone? Why can't I cut out the middleman and just use a program on my computer to highlight a portion of my screen and translate whatever text is seen? Because that's what I'm doing on my phone anyway.

It's not a case of "the tech isn't good enough," it's good enough for me. The question is "why are they making me use a phone for this instead of just letting me run it on my computer?"

I want augmented reality glasses that can translate text like smartphones. But if you wear AR glasses, normalfags will kill you for violating some weird unspoken rule.

This is the reason I made the thread.
A software that takes a screenshot, quickly translates it then shows it would be alright too.

There's no demand- as in, no demand from people who will pay money for the program. Anyone with cash pays a professional translator to do the job; anyone without cash doesn't matter to a business. So who's going to bother refining the technology just so some pirates can play untranslated games in English?

No, that's not even what I mean. The tech plain already exists. I can use it on my phone right now just fine. I just don't understand why they would make it available on one platform but not on a seemingly bigger platform. It's not about getting a professional translator, it's about the fact that I can already do this, but only by using an otherwise shitty device as a middleman.

Your wish has been granted, but Tree House et al. are in charge of it.

Apparently whoever wrote the phone program doesn't want it on PC. Bug them about it, maybe it'll change their mind. Is it Google? Because if it is you're fucked

Yeah, it's Google. When people say the tech isn't there yet, it's because other translation programs are shit, but Google's has actually gotten very good over the years.

Unfortunately that explains everything. Google has no reason to get people off their smartphones, especially since no one uses their PC OS. You'll have to wait for a competitor, or for some nice autist to mess around with it someday.

I've seen some Japs playing around with it and posting goofy results, but as far as I can tell it's almost a functioning technology. It's a shame KanjiTomo is proprietary or you could rip the OCR engine out of it and make it into a full-screen detect and overlay activated by the push of a button.

If all you ever do is play games with super simple writing with absolutely no slang or cultural references, then maybe.

If they're Japanese, I just play them. If they're in a language that's not Japanese or English, I wait/hope for a translation, though 99% of the games I play come in one of those two languages.

Do you understand what a high context language is? It's a language where one sentence, even one word, can mean four to five different things depending on the context, the social status of the speaker, the social status the person being spoken too, the social situation, the age of all relative parties, the urgency of the speech.

Machine translation DOES NOT WORK for high context language. That includes Japanese.

There's that too. And it's vague as fuck. So vague in fact that sometimes natives don't even know what the fuck things are saying.

Get the Google Translate app for Android and try it out. It works. It's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than you think, and constantly being improved.

I can read Japanese, so I actually know how inaccurate they are.

Of course it's not better than actually knowing the language, but you're acting like this is an all or nothing deal, and that's not the case. It's never the case with translation or even understanding your own native language.

No, no it's not. It's parsing the English result in such a way that the text makes grammatical sense in English, but it's not an accurate translation.

To add to this, so you know I'm not trying to be one of those elitist "I can read Japanese!" fuckheads, I'm really not deriding it just to deride it. Translation software IS improving, but they're still shit. I can tell you that you're still not getting anywhere near the accuracy you think you're getting unless all you're doing it translating shit like: こんにちは。熱いね?

It's just to be able to choose "no" instead of "yes" when someone asks you "Ты гей"?

This is the dumbest shit I've ever seen, do you have any idea how Japanese conjugations work at all? Not only that the language is filled with double and triple negatives.

Considering we're talking about video games, then yeah, it frequently is that simple.

From what I've tried it's enough that I can understand the story and menus of a couple games. Of course some parts translate better than others and some parts read like they're translated by someone with a meh grasp on the language, but I've spoken with actual foreigners who were worse.

Ahaha. Try running this through Google translate and see if it's at all helpful.

彼ノ岸 此ノ岸 隔テシ想ヒハ

寝目ヲ通シテ涯ニ至リ

常夜海 揺リ満ツ

隔テシ想ヒ 柊トシテ 刺青ヲ似テ

巫女ヘト刻ミ 刺魂ノ儀ス可シ

柊刻ミシ 刺青ノ巫女ハ

其ノ柊ヲ己ガ寝目トシテ背負ヒ

常夜海 鎮ム

A fucking monkey can understand to read Japanese menus, it takes 10 minutes to learn katakana. I guarantee you what you think you know of the story is wrong unless you're playing a kids game.

I am. Kids games are best games.

The thing is, it's better to read something incomplete, out of order or a little bit misleading than to not being able to read anything at all. Using the rest of the information from other aspects of the game other than the text, you can make sense out of it.
This is of course for dialogue or more complex shit like that.
For menus, stats, names and other simple shit like that it's no problem at all.

Complicated shit like that will probably get a little fucked. But if there's gameplay over that and previous simpler text you can obviously make out what is wrong with the machine translation for this part. Better than not translating any word at all, just looking at this text I have no idea what it's talking about: weather, cars, traveling, TV? No clue unless I machine translate it.

Not every game that isn't in english is in japanese, weeb boy.

Are there any worth playing?

It's written in faux old symbolic Japanese. Even I have a bit (or a lot) of trouble with stuff like that. Translation software won't help at all. I ran it through Google translate just now and it's just a bunch of gibberish. Now, they're fine if you're just playing games that aren't dialogue heavy, then you wouldn't have to worry much. Anything where dialogue is important though you shouldn't attempt unless you can actually read the language.

I'm not here to discuss that, but from the top of my head there's lots of online games that are only in korean or chinese.

Don't get me wrong, machine translation will never be as good as being fluent in a language, but there's a huge "power gap" between machine and no translation at all.
Think of machine translation being 1/10 and being fluent 10/10, but then no translation at all is 0/10. So I'd never read a story book with machine translation, but I'd machine translate a road sign otherwise it would be the same as having no road sign at all.

YOU ARE A BUNCH OF SODOMITE PEDOPHILE XENOPHILE SCUM AND YOU NEED TO LEARN TO DEAL WITH WHOLESOME LOCALIZED VIDEO GAMES OR PAY THE PRICE WITH YOUR DEGENERATE WASTE OF LIFE
THE CHOICE IS YOURS
GO WITH GOD

This makes me wonder why no one has used a captcha system to get nips to translate things to rough English for them. The quality would improve over time. I guess you need a suitably massive and captive audience like Google has for that to be feasible though.

lol no i live however i see fit faggot i'm not interfering with anyone else so you can't do shit about it

The captcha system needs to know the answer beforehand though.

I'm sure you've heard by now that JP is a high-context language. Maybe, if the problem is that translation needs to assume the context, then splitting up the work into captcha-size pieces is a bad idea.

monsterhunteronline.in/translation/
wew

Just tought and went to play the chinese exclusive monster hunter online with the google thing then boom. Apparently it's a little dull to recognize the text but it's better than a shaky phone that's for sure.
Gonna try it out and report here later.

The key word is "dipshit."

Don't forget when they style themselves translators and mix said shit tl with what they consider cancer tasteful memes.

THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK

I just want decode.

Bumble through and hope for the best. Worked for EX Troopers fine enough. Fucking shame since it is a fun game.

Welp, it works but it's just not efficient.
You press a hotkey then you can select a little square, the text on the square is then translated on a little window.
If you an use it, the google app thing is still better.

What about this app OP?

microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/translator/9wzdncrfj3pg

Is the fantranslation for the game not good enough/dropped? I was able to figure out how to play without it.

Apparently the chinamen encoded their shit and this killed the can translators.

Is this a windows 10 exclusive thing?
I mean, I have windows 10 installed on this machine but it's a temporary one, I plan to use windows 7 on my actual PC.
It does look like what I'm looking for, though.

I'm not even mad, just shocked at how retarded this is.
Welp, time to look for a pseudo game recording software just to give a video feed to this shit.

nah, I ain't doing this, it's better to just use the google thing for now.

See, this is the shit I was talking about. Why limit the functionality to only working with a camera instead of also being able to read screenshots? Wouldn't screenshots be easier? It's like they're deliberately limiting the functionality of their program.

Also, even with the camera, this thing can't read written Japanese, so the Google one on the phone is still better.

I wish you'd wipe the Mokou meme from the face of the Earth.

1. Set up game on computer
2. Place phone in front of computer
3. Stream phone to 2nd computer
4. Hook up keyboard/controller to 1st computer
All with only 4 seconds of latency! I love technology!!! :D

The phone program still requires you to highlight the text yourself, and the amount you highlight changes what translation you get, since you get different amounts of context, so you can't just highlight the whole screen every time.

I could just look directly through the phone but it's a huge pain in the ass to constantly have to be moving my hands to the phone. With some AR glasses doing this would be significantly easier, but then why should I need them, when it would seemingly be easier to just do all this directly on the computer?

So you buy the latest Google Pixel and Google Glass, of course.

Frankly, I'd pay more for the ability to just do it straight on the computer, since that would be easier than the AR glasses still. But of course by trying to jew me so hard already they've soured their relationship with the customer so I won't pay anything at all now.

The translation google camera thingy also runs at very low, unstable fps, and also has some latency itself.

wut
Mine has a little green eye thingy that when activated just translates all text on screen automatically, but it runs like shit and if you're moving the text keeps morphing.

I haven't used it in a year or more so maybe it's changed since I used it. Or maybe I'm misremembering the details, but I do clearly remembering that highlighting different amounts of text was important for getting translations that make any sense.

There is that option, but it sucks, it has better precision but the real time one is much simpler to use.

君を笑いに来た

下げ

I ain't translating that. Whatever you're saying, it cannot affect me.

-t. JLPT5 expert

wouldn't it be

Does 分からない not also apply there? Newbie here

Yeah, that's just the kanji for what said.

Right, you suggested 話す (speak), but why wouldn't the original わかる (understand) be ok?

Could it be that わかる is intransitive and can't have 日本語 as a direct object?

It's just kinda splitting hairs, personally when I think in conversation I wouldn't say I don't understand japanese, I would say I can't speak it.

It would be fine to use わからない. The hilarious thing about questions like this is that they'd be reduced 90% if you people watched subbed anime instead of dubs or played your games with Japanese voices. You wouldn't have to ask questions like this when you've heard/seen things like "英語わかんない!" in 6 different anime series/games.

He said:
Nihongo ga wakaranai
Kimi wo warai ni kita
I came here to laugh at you

and 下げ is sage

Fair enough.
Now go translate some games or doujins while you're at it

thanks Holla Forums

wouldn't sage be better as セイジ ?

At first I thought so too but then I remembered why we call it sage in the first place.

no because sage is derived from 下げる, you newfag. 下げる is pronounced "sah geh roo" or さげる

damn, didn't even put two and two together.