Will there ever be another platform as good as the Dreamcast?

Will there ever be another platform as good as the Dreamcast?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20140329053251/http://www.please
archive.is/GGFcF
retro-games.co.uk/sega/dcast/dreamcast.htm)
cyberiapc.com/vgg/sony_ps2.htm)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not really. Pretty close to the high water mark for video games as a whole, actually. PS2 was also great, but Xbox started the decline.

Shit I hope not.

Are you talking about the Saturn?

What was so good about it? Wasn't it basically home CPS2 system?

Master System, Saturn and Dreamcast are all basically that. Sega libraries are fucking terrible.

The xbone was just as good.

Pre-DLC, pre-microtransaction, pre-dudebro, pre-focus group.
Took a lot of gambles with fresh game ideas.
They were still trying to do business by appealing to your human sense of fun and novelty instead of trying to cynically wirehead skinner box as many people in a focus group as possible.

Sounds like absolutely anything before PS3.

With none paying off it seems.

Lol what? As opposed to what console?
Do you even know what skinner box is?

Can say something specific or not? What consoles in fucking 00s pushed "skinner boxes" on players?

No. The dreamcast wasn't even that good to beginwith.

The only worthwile games that are dreamcast exclusive has that i know about is shenmue, jet set radio, and sonic adventure.

The ps2 is objectively the last great console.

I mean what other console lasted over a decade?

That's not even what I said. Fuck off, simpleton.

So nothing.
And there you have it, DC was no better than its contemporaries, and offered nothing worthy of supporting it for longer than a few years. There is so much capcom fighting games one person can buy.
is right, PS2 was the king of that generation.

The Nintendo Famicom lasted from 1983 to 2003
Hell, the Gameboy lasted from 1989 to 2001. The entire Gameboy Line lasted from 1989 to 2005, but thats sort of cheating since the GBA does break foreward compatibility (so does the Gameboy Color, but only some carts)

Read some Wikipedia articles and come back later.

Sony: 1 slim ps1, 2 versions of a slim ps2. 2 ps3 slim sizes, the slim and the super slim. and the ps4 slim

Microsoft: a slim and a super slim 360 and a slim xbone

Actually, hold on, excuse the self-reply; but if you REALLY want to get technical, than you can say the Nintendo Famicom never actually died since it did become a de-facto standard in China where Famicom carts and compatible systems are still being made to this very day

That's called continuous support, dude if you already had PS1 you didn't need to buy any other version, since their functionality was identical. Same for PS2 or PS3. Those were released for people who didn't buy a corresponding console before.

UNLIKE PS4pro which is a full on apple-tier jewery only retards fell for.

I mean those are not licensed by nintendo, which is actually a good thing. So yeah, nes is sorta kinda still alive today lol.

That's not true at all. That's just nintendo support for the system.

The famicom only offically lasted a few years after the snes was made.
It's only popular in asian and 3rd world countries for so long because of bootleg games.

The PS2 was offically supported for over a decade by third party devs not just by bootlegers

You can sort of think about it in the same sense that your computer isn't licensed by IBM either. Even though every single modern PC is essentially a clone of the IBM 5150 (minus the change from BIOS to UEFI and I'm sure other more subtle things as well)

Thats wrong you genuine fucking queer retard

Nintendo officially ended production of the Famicom in 2003

And guess what you fucking homo? Here's a source;
web.archive.org/web/20140329053251/http://www.please use archive.is/articles/nintendo-to-end-famicom-and-super-famicom-production/1100-6029220/

Now eat shit before making baseless assertions

"Support" means manufacturing and selling consoles, not making new games.
There is a game made for Dreamcast in 2010s, some fucking action platformer. It doesn't mean DC's support lasted till 2010s.

I mean fucking jewtedno tries to sell nes emulator machines, while chinks and taiwans keep making actual fucking hardware. Fuck jewtendo tbh.

archive.is/GGFcF
Fucking Mark

So fucking what? I'm not talking about hardware production, I'm talking about licenced software being made for the ps2.

Then you're really grasping at straws at what constitutes as "lasting over a decade" Stop playing devils advocate. As long as the actual hardware is in serial production by the original manufacture it is effectively still being supported

No fucking shit you dumbcunt, why did you think I said

What I'm trying to say is, the ps2 had the longest support from offical developers because they were still making games for it.

Dreamcast was effectively 5.5th generation because it got in so early and died so quickly.

Dudebro indisputably started in earnest with Halo and Xbox Live.

A slot machine is a human skinner box and not really even a game. Push button–random chance of reward. This sort of garbage really gained traction in Facebook and phone apps for the lowest common idiot but recently has been infecting PC games as in Overwatch and TF2. I never said it started in the 00s.

I also never said the Dreamcast was "the best console of all time." Just "good."

There you are, you toddler. Enjoy your education. Now you might uphold the relatively higher standard of discussion we have here instead of deliberately misconstruing people for lulz.

No I'm fucking not.

The ps2 was released in 1999 and didn't stop production until 2013.

And the ps2 last released was Fifa 14 in 2013.

So yes in both ways it lasted over a decade.

And I gave another example of a console that lasted twice as long and you play devils advocate because you're a retarded salty fanboy

Wait a second, isn't PSO, one of the first instance-based loot-oriented MMOs was initially released on DC?
And you're telling me there were no skinnerboxes on it? Hah.

The difference is complexity. Of course all games have elements of payoffs to various degrees, but reduction to the skinner box interaction exclusively is what is trash.

PSO has enough external trappings and requires enough higher brain functions that it's not part of the Xynga horseshit I'm referring to.

It lasted much longer production wise but, when did companies officially stop make games for it?

My point isn't about hardware support lengh but about how long game companies offically supported it.

What?

I was just saying that the ps2 is better than the dreamcast.

How am I retarded?

You're the one that that can't grasp that I'm talking about how long game companies offically releaced games for the system.

You can't really hang shit on me for being salty (which I wasn't) and yet say

fanboy

Based on what? Stating that the ps2 is better than the dreamcast? or that it had longer software support?

I'm not sure you exactly know what fanboy means.

I aint reading that yo.

Why would I care? I'm refuting his statements not yours.

It's like a child spacing out an essay, and it looks fucking terrible.

So what?

That has nothing to do with the topic at hand

Well if you want anybody to even read your shit present it in comprehensible way.

Except it's perfectly readable.

No, reddit spacing makes it 100% unreadable.

One sentence per line with double spacing on every single fucking line is not readable.
Imageboards don't use Markdown, you don't need to double-space.

Jesus fucking christ, Why does it fucking matter if I fucked up the spacing?

Lucky trips demand an answer, so there you go.
Imagine you're a trying to get into turbo expensive restaurant to book a table. You have the money all right.
Well if you rush in screaming and swearing while wearing some hobo's clothes smelling like a dog piss, doesn't matter if you have the money, nobody will allow you to book shit. Most likely you will be thrown out instead.
But if you're dressed well and is behaving accordingly, you'll book your fucking table no problem.
Imageboards are the same. If you're reddit spacing chance people will just filter you to tell you to go back without reading your shit no matter what did you write.

Thanks for the awnser.

I just fucking moronic. that people get this autistic over the fucking spacing of all fucking things. And if the spacings fucked they, flatout ignore whatever they say no matter what the person said.

I just forgot to proofread my comment

It was objectively the worst console of it's generation and it has a far worse library than it's predecessor the Saturn. It's arguably become to most overrated piece of hardware of all time in recent years due to it being "hipster bait:the console".

Oh and I can't believe I forgot- it also had an absolutely shit tier controller design. Console had a bunch of 2d SHMUPs and fighters that benefit from the use of the d-pad, and yet the dreamcast d-pad is borderline unusable for any length of time because it's made out of incredibly hard and sharp plastic which digs into your hands.

Bait. SEGA libraries are literally infinite.

saturn > dreamcast tbh

The post.

You know it's the end of the fucking world when Holla Forums is shitting on the Dreamcast en masse. I'm done. Fuck this shit.

Post quality has been especially bad lately.

No.

Uh, the Dreamcast. You mean that console that in its only two years of life received more worthwhile games than any of current gen consoles?

And which let you play online without monthly fees?

Anyway, you can find more than 100 good Dreamcast games relatively easy. Not that many well known games, but goddamn, if you look, the amount of stuff that you find is insane considering that it all came out in pretty much two years.

What's going on?

You know exactly why.
Deport the refugees.

Fuck off you (1).

Checked.

WWWWWWWWWW

It started with the playstation in the west. especially in the states where it was marketed on MTV with the perception that "video games aren't just for nerds anymore bros."

No that would be the gaystation 2. Stay asspained sonygger.

That was just marketing. The developers were still coming out of Japan and the old school and largely directing themselves because no one knew what they did. The infection hadn't reached the core.

Oh, user, how you forget.

WOW WHAT A SHOCK!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Are you in this much denial? Marketing shapes the landscape of a product. Ever wonder why feminists bitch about video games being for guys only? because most of them only remember the 90s when the shift went from family to young boys around the time of the Genesis.

That's not an entirely true. Off the top of my head both Wipeout and Twisted Metal come to mind as western developed games targeting dudebros as their target demographic. In the UK in particular Wipeout's marketing was heavily directed at the "rave" scene and promo material and events made a huge deal about the games techno soundtrack and how "trippy" the visuals were some ads blatantly implying MDMA use for maximum enjoyment.

Actually in Japan they gave players a whole year FREE because of how the system for internet usage was in Japan and they wanted the project to take off/

The PS2 was a pretty great Dreamcast platform

The difference was the developers were still largely running the show instead of corporate/the marketers. For example with Wipeout, the devs made a trippy highspeed racing game and the marketers found an angle to sell it.

After the first generation of visionaries left, the structures ossified in the corporate AAA structure we see today where the same 3 games are being resold over and over because the devs are told what to make.

The early-to-mid 2000s were the sweetspot when capital was still mystified as to how those crazy wizard nerds did what they did and so just handed them money to build what they wanted.

Found your problem. The original was free even after ver.2 came out.

No, it wasn't. Scroll to page 8.

Anons are realizing that the dreamcast is an overrated system.

You need to look at page 8. Paying for an ISP is not the same as paying to play.

Hello commie.

Then, what is this section entailing:

In the old days it wasn't a flat internet fee son. We had to use phone lines so it in a sense was a glorified phone bill for using the internet

Do you get free internet service? I have always had to pay for mine even when it was Dial up and i was playing PSO

Okay, all I remember was the internet and the phone bill being two separate things. But, then again, I didn't really begin using the internet until around '03/'04.

Best bomberman coming through.

Getting almost 700 games, with every genre well covered, in barely two years is quite a feat. Heck, there are systems which lived for more than half a decade and didn't even reach the figure of 300 games.

I miss muh power stone and ooga booga.

Seventh gen was the beginning of the end. I can't think of more than 10 good games across all 3 consoles from that era.

t. autistic rpg virgin

Them's were the days.

If you want true overrated systems, look at any Playstation. They were the shovelware machines of each of their generations, up until the Wii took the crown.

Videogames are overrated. Everything is shit. Take the black pill, kid.

Well there ever be another console that:
-A slightly skilled person can easily dev for
-Had a lot of fun games to begin with
-You can mod easily
-Has a modem
-You can upgrade the modem
-Also has a board that shares similarities with arcade cabinets?

I don't think it'll ever happen again. Further not to anyone thinking about current gen consoles:
BUY A DREAMCAST AND SOME GAMES FIRST
It won't cost much and by the time you're done playing the games for it the current gen will be over and you'll see PC was going to be more reasonable anyway.
tfw you will never play spiral-chan on the DC where it was meant to be played

What happened to the DC-user? He used to make a bunch of DC threads. I bought mine after learning how to burn games on one of those threads

I think most posters are fighting in the Switch threads to ever pay DC much mind, but it was missing some key series to make everyone talk about it:
Persona, Megaman, SMT, Shining *, Panzer Dragoon, Puyo Puyo, any Square franchise, VNs from Aqua Plus, Atelier, Musou, etc

I love the console myself so I'll take part in any thread but it needed some more franchises on it to get wider appeal. Not enough appeal for it to continue but enough that more people remember it.

Yes, but the problem started before then. The libraries on the previous generation were full of excellent games. Best 3D games out there were 1998-2004, with some leeway on each side for early or late greats. The beginning of normalfags invading, combined with developers switching over to new hardware, ushered in a shift in game design to gray and brown hallway shooters. The cancer started at the end of that generation, and when it hit full-force, it left the next one with no good games.

it took the pc 3 years to catch up to what the dreamcast could do

It took at least until 2003 or 04 to get to the level of the DC and Cube

Was the user who compiled this insane or a masochist? All I remember from trying to play it back in the day was pain, motherfucker AI, year-long games and a story mode that was worse than pulling teeth which I never finished. The minigames were fun, but they were tied to spaces, not player turns, and sometimes you'd get funky little slideshow events for the player that landed on the space instead of a minigame for everyone. Was it less of a pain than I remember?

I mean Spawn was fucking awesome, but most of those games are not "worthwhile" at all.

Tom Kalinske is a Trump hating cuck!!!!!!

The guy who helped make Sega a success in the States is a cuck. FUCK.

tweetsave(dot)com/thomastkalinske/status/834615337479868416

tweetsave(dot)com/thomastkalinske/status/834616947086020608

tweetsave(dot)com/thomastkalinske/status/834289984878161920

tweetsave(dot)com/thomastkalinske/status/834251891626225665

tweetsave(dot)com/thomastkalinske/status/833401474201874432

PSO is basically Diablo in space in the first place, people only call it an MMO because it had a lobby system that let you talk to like 30 people at a time to make parties.

Jesus christ why do you type like that? You seem fresh off the boat from r/the_donald

sorry for offtopic

>>>/out/

Shit list.

look, just because avgn made it a semi-meme and nimoy narrates it doesn't mean its a good game

Diablo is the definitive skinner box, that laid path for modern mmos.

people call wow an mmo for the same reason

look, just because some eceleb said something that was said years before he ever existed does not make the statement untrue.

Its fun with friends, but seriously fuck the AI

Its like you're either a cuck, or have shit taste. Scratch that, I'm guessing its both

go buy some CD-R and play something new, faggot

Hello nintendo fanboy. I love how your kind it outed anytime anyone mentions Sony. I guess someone had to pick up the slack Sega left behind.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm going to just open it up and leave it exposed to air for a while and try to turn it on in a week.

No, RPGs with loot was the original. Any game with rng can be considered that.

Proof it fag.

Typical leftist tactic of tossing labels. Maybe you should back up statements with facts instead of autistic screeching like you've been doing so far

I can agree with that.

How do we reverse the degeneration? A crash?

Well define best? because back then there was still loads of shovelware on consoles. Around the PS2 and GCN era you started seeing lots of shovelware.

Prior generations post gaming crash didn't have the issue due to QC and fear of another crash to keep things mostly in check.

fuck you peter moore

If the Dreamcast was a good game platform for consumers as well as developers then it wouldn't have fucking died and nearly take SEGA completely down with it as well.

Shit, we almost saw a repeat of that with the WiiU.

It was the PS2 and pratefags that killed it, not the console itself.

Cover it in rice

Are you high?
The Dreamcast did not offer the same things the PS2 did for consumers which was DVD playback.
The Dreamcast could not stop the financial hemorrhaging caused by rampant pirating because their system was so easily pirated. Now to consider this point you have to figure that not only was the install base of the Dreamcast already low to begin with, but a huge chunk of the people who did own them were pirating games on the platform. Large enough chunk to kill sales and bleed off third party support.
So I ask you again, how was this a good console?

The PS2 is the king of that era. The only thing you can really say rivals the PS2 are the GBA and perhaps the DS. But those are a different class of gaming device.

You hipster faggots are so thirsty for REAL HARDCORE GAMER OLDFAG NOT A NORMALFAG cred that I fully expect you retards to start talking about how the NGage was the best handheld gaming device for its time.

Newsflash. Shovelware has always been around.
It is what literally killed the gaming industry in the U.S. the first fucking time (Atari era).

It only cleaned up a bit because Nintendo instituted licensing and controls but don't get it twisted, plenty of shit flew right past that radar.

Kill yourself. You're everything I don't want here.

L2 read nigger I covered that by saying QC.

maybe by good he means financial success
of course when Holla Forums says a game is good or bad that is not at all what they mean unless they blatantly mean so financially

Holla Forumsor at least the parts that didn't come from leddit judge whether or not a game is good by whether or not its fun

Maybe people should be more clear when they speak.

Whats the point of talking at all if we just have constant misunderstandings over language instead of even actually interacting with eachother.

This place is really starting to look like 4chan again. There must be somewhere else to go.

Oh but this was a discussion of the dreamcast as a platform. Of it being a great gaming platform.
I simply laid out its flaws and why it died in the face of its competitors. And remember, if it was truly that great then it stands to reason that it would have been adopted by many other people. The piracy would have been a non issue if the console saw more household penetration.
Saying it was a great gaming platform because it had a couple of good games really doesn't mean much. Nearly every console can claim the same and really what does the Dreamcast, as a gaming platform, offer (especially at the time it came out) that no others were doing?

Look i'm sorry, but in this case the financial success of one system over another, at least in this case, is a clear indication of how good it was as a gaming platform.
Like it or not, but the dreamcast did NOTHING NEW for the time it came out. Sony's PS2 put out a feature that nobody else was doing or seemed willing to do at the time and that is what pushed it over the top. That's why it sold so many units. Its unit sales encouraged third parties to make games, and as such the library just continued to grow.
Likewise, given the PS2s longevity and its library it no doubt has far more of those "good games" that seem to be what is defining how good a game console was as a gaming platform around here.

Now, if the ease of piracy is what makes a game platform "good" by your standards then why even bother with consoles in the first place? PC is where you want to be.

A DVD player user.

Your reading comprehension is shit and you are shit,

You must have autism or you must be too young to remember what it was like back then. But here you go.

At the time DVD was coming out as a home movie platform, the players themselves were rather expensive. We're talking about a time where the flatscreen TV was a relatively new concept and looked like the picture there.
So, what did Sony do?
Well, they combined a game system with a DVD player.
At the time, people were still hooking these things up in their living room so what do you have happening?
Well, at the time the PS2 launched the DVD players cost about $300+ dollars.
The PS2 cost, $300 (and no more). So for the price of the cheapest knockoff brand DVD player you can get something that is Sony branded (a brand people tended to trust back then) and it plays video games so the kids will have something to play with.
Conversely, it was an easy sell for a child to make to their parents because while the kid wants the games the parents want to be able to watch movies on the new format.

The Dreamcast is like the Delorean of video game consoles.
Not a whole lot of people ever owned them. Plenty of people have seen and heard about them though. And the way it came on the scene hard and full of promise and then suddenly just seemed to vanish gives it a sort of mythic quality.
But in reality, it wasn't all that great.

Let me put this in as simple of terms as possible for you.

You are telling me that the quality of a VIDEO GAME DEVICE should be judged on whether or not it does things other than play video games well.

You aren't even comparing the specs of the two consoles.

And fuck off with your condescending

I wish I could hate you to death.

No, there is also the factor of the games on the platform itself.
Frankly, we can see that the library couldn't inspire people to buy more of the system. It doesn't matter how good the hardware is if the library isn't there.
But you see, now you're starting to turn into this bit-era consolewar schoolyard playground faggotry when you tread these waters.
go ahead and tell me how the genesis was better than the SNES because of blast processing.

dreamcast (courtesy of; retro-games.co.uk/sega/dcast/dreamcast.htm)

Processor
Hitachi SH-4 running at 200 Mhz.
360 MIPS
Memory
16MB main RAM
Display
8MB video RAM. 3 million polygons/second peak rendering rate . Perspective-Correct Texture Mapping. Point, Bilinear, Trilinear and Anisotropic Mip-map filtering. Gouraud shading. z-buffer. Colored light sourcing. Full scene anti-aliasing. Hardware-based Fog
Bump mapping. 16.77 million colors.
Hardware-based texture compression
Shadow and Light volumes. Super sampling
Sound
2MB sound RAM.
32bit RISC CPU. DSP for real-time effects. 64 sound channels. Full 3D sound support. Hardware-based audio compression.
Ports
4 controller ports.
Built-in 56kbps modem
Built-in high-speed expansion ports

PS2 (according to: cyberiapc.com/vgg/sony_ps2.htm)

Tech Specs: CPU: 128-bit "Emotion Engine" (300MHz) with multiple co-processors
RAM: 32MB Rambus DRAM, 4MB Video RAM
Graphics: Dedicated graphics synthesizer connected to CPU via 64-bit 1.2GB/s bus
Colors: 16.7 million
Sprites: 18.75 million
Polygons: 66 million per second
Resolution: Variable from 256x224 to 1280x1024 pixels
Sound: 2MB, 48 voice audio with support for Dolby, AC3 and DTS

You aren't factoring for time.

The DC wasn't around long enough to have a library as massive as the PS2.

Have you considered that?

What are you two arguing about?

Oh were you just passing by? Missed our conversation?

I cordially invite you to scroll the fuck up and read it you lazy fucking faggot.

The only part I missed is where the spark started.

compare the games yourself. I'd say max payne 2 was just above dreamcast level, as far as the quality of visuals and effects go. Happens pretty much every generation. Consoles come out, PC catches up with specialized hardware. Only time it didn't happen is the 8th gen.

I think the real question is will the saturn ever be surpassed

Why does Holla Forums like being stuck in the past? It's time to let go.

Shit user, PS2 was cancer incarnate for starting the decline of console gaming. Selling consoles to normalfags for non-gaming purposes (DVDs) and Playstation's continued tradition of cinematics over gameplay hurt the industry more than helped.

Doesn't help that its hardware was by far the weakest of the gen, but that never stopped devs then so I have no idea why they constantly bitch about it now.

Nobody bought a ps2 as a cheap dvd player. People who bought it with it being a dvd player being a perk did so because they also wanted games. Look up best buy and shit in 2000, dvd players were far cheaper than a ps2.

the what? never heard of it

Are you kidding? Max Payne 2 got quite a downgrade on the PS2 to run at an acceptable framerate. That's still not without drops. So did Half Life on Dreamcast.

You obviously don't have any normalfag friends. Same thing for every PS3 and PS4 I've ever seen in the wild, people seem to use them strictly for DVDs/blu-rays and own only 2 or 3 games like FIFA which they never play, and these people are who games are made for now.

Sony has done irreparable damage to video games because of this if you ask me

The Saturn was the zenith of Sega's growth as a console manufacturer with the MegaDrive (Genesis) reaching a very close second sans the ridiculous add-ons.

Dreamcast was fun but people have already stated, very heavy on Noami and CPS2/CPS3 ports from the arcade. Given Sega's presence and understanding of the arcade scene, that makes complete sense to tap that market.

Actually a vast majority bases it on who made the game.

I would have certainly dropped this hobby if not for the past. Maybe early 7th gen you'd have a point with your snarky shitposts about nostalgiafaggotry, but goddamn, we hit rock bottom.

No, you're wrong. They did. And DVD players were around the cost of a PS2.
I had already explained this. People bought the PS2 to have a DVD player in their homes and to also have a game system all in one.
Those that got it just for a DVD player may have dabbled in games but I doubt your claims that it caused irreparable damage.

I don't get you faggots that think a surge of popularity in one area has killed the entire fucking industry. No, there are more factors than that to deal with. The biggest of which being the evolving technology and what it takes to develop games to the graphical standards that can be pushed by today's hardware.
The amount of work it takes to model, texture, animate, and all sorts of other things gets fucking crazy.
The cancer is the cost of development itself and the little niche genres fell away because of that fact.
You all really need to do yourselves a big favor and watch the end credits of a game as recent as the PS1 era and then watch the credits of a modern game. The amount of people it takes is staggering. On top of that, the dev time is massively increased too (and often not enough time). Time is actually money and the longer the dev time is the more you have to pay this small army of animators, developers, artists, designers, etc etc.

The golden age, the age when dev costs in money and time were small enough to push out experimental and niche genre games on the major platforms is gone.
Katamari would NOT happen today on a modern console and get the full sort of release that it did.
Now this sort of experimentation is still happening in the indie/small dev scene and they get PC and the "arcade shop" releases of their games.

Ok so avoid those. Not everything is like that. Stop generalizing shit.

In short, grow up. It is not Chad Thundercock or Chastity CheerCunt's fault for any of this. It is the fault of a technology dependent hobby where the tech has pushed far beyond what the tools to make developing on that tech has been able to catch up with.
Money maters. Sales mater.

more like they inflated their shit and as a result usually had projects take longer when communication broke down.

The not enough time thing is because publishers want shit out at a certain market quarter, you rarely see things pushed back anymore because the modern gamer will eat unfinished shit up and companies thing a day 0 patch fixes shit.

I don't think so. There's a market difference now with the west being really anti-jap when it comes to games so it might end up as a JP only title with a later title getting a international release.

Today's hardware has stagnated, as mmuch as I love consoles I can't get behind current and the coming gens because PC is just shitting on them. This isn't back when consoles were really young and you could see active limit pushing.

Last bit is that surge in popularity DOES act as a major factor especially when marketing and PR see this and go "well how can we make a buck off it?"

this. It's fucking hilarious just shows how many people parrot anything they think goes against "normalfags" (despite the fact the DC has become incredibly popular and overrated among normalfags as well). Honestly the original Xbox has a better library of Sega exclusives then the dreamcast, but it's perfectly acceptable to shit on the original Xbox, but don't you dare have a different opinion on muh sacred cows.

The Xbox was quite literally Dreamcast's sloppy seconds though. If Sega didn't drop from the race, the Xbox would be the western shovelware machine.

Sure thing furfag. How'd you like being grounded when Sony gave your mom's CC info to the Chink hackers? How'd you like having Sony's virus installed on your PC? How can you defend the Gaystation2 that led to the PS3. That led to the PS4. What's it like getting less then 60fps in every game, and virtually no backwards compatibility? What's it like wearing a buttplug with a tail, and having everyont treat you like the psychopath you are when you correct everyone about your pronouns, xir?

I'm glad I will never know these feels.

I think you got the wrong board gramps. Also Eisenhower is no longer president, just so you know.

You Holla Forums cucks can fuck right off and kill yourselves.

Nigger wut? Internet speeds were not what they are today, the average person did not pirate games for the DC. Likewise, the only reason people could pirate was due to the mil-CD exploit, because before that exploit was found the system was unhackable. Nothing could read GDI's. What killed the Dreamcast was how poorly they treated consumers with both the 32X and the Saturn despite that console being fucking great for arcade games and shmups The PS2 being a normalfag DVD machine didn't help sales either.

I loved Orta, shit was a fun game.

I need to get another Xbox and mod it to play isos so I can finally play Metal Wolf Chaos.

I want SonyGaf niggers to leave

no niggers allowed on this board, user

Are you my nigga? I say you are my nigga.

Dreamcast didn't kill Sega, it sold moderately well. What killed Sega was the 32X fiasco and how poorly Saturn was handled outside Japan. Sega couldn't recover from their losses and had to bow out of the console market, unfortunately. I heard if the DC had sold about 3 million more units before 2001, Sega could have stayed afloat.

What? No. The 32X and the Saturn were red flags to how they couldn't handle stepping into a modern market.
Imagine a world where the dreamcast was produced for 100 dollars more and had the DVD playback when it came out.
It would have crushed.

Dreamcast had too many fun games. We're not allowed to have nice things. It's as simple as that.