Do you agree with this uncomfortable truth?

What a terrible thread.

I think he's right in that people do express their "true selves" in spaces where there are no constraints, but who the fuck plays video games as some cunt that goes around killing and raping?

I suppose when I play video games I always play the "hero" route or whatever, and I also am not promiscuous, I find one waifu and I impregnate her and build a home with her.

Triggered rapist

Gta and plenty other games where you can kill. Maybe not rape tho

In gta and games like that, i really only play for the objectives and only kill innocents on accident i drive bad. Im not a murderer per say, but my mission takes all priority.

Yeah but in those games you're not really taking the world seriously, the NPCs you're killing are pretty much just objects anyway.

It's just meant to be dumb fun.

I suppose I express my "true self" in GTA games, in the sense that I express my desire to do fun stuff. I don't actually want to hurt people.

You just proves zizek right

I can cherry pick too

Reported famalam

Absurdity. He doesn't acknowledge that the rules changed, video games don't mirror reality. GTA:SA takes place looking at a man's back, the man who is doing the violence, and a cursor is placed on the screen, a crosshair. The crosshair is the player's only form of interaction with the world, everything they do moves through the cursor. Shoot a man with the cursor, steal a car with the cursor, buy a new shirt with the cursor. And in all of it, the man is there to do the action, to commit the crime, to take the guilt, and the player exists solely as the man's id.

It isn't possible for CJ to go to school, to read a book, to decide that the material conditions of his world are unacceptable and that he cannot in good conscience act in the way that they demand. He can buy a gun and get on a motorcycle and drive it through a crowd. By permitting only these actions the game demands that they happen, and by providing an on-screen proxy to absorb the guilt of committing the actions the game absolves the player of whatever lingering sense of responsibility they might feel despite the profoundly cartoon nature of the world they are presented with.

The Coyote never built a house with the mallet.

welp

Ok I get gta4 tried to add a human side to niko. But he is really a sociopathic. Even sociopaths can act normal and have moral dilemmas.

I get there is a cynical aspect of gta like exposing the stupidity of society. But the attraction to the game is undoubtedly that you get to commit all sorts of crimes which you would not in real life.

Ok but gta4 integrated notmal activities and friendship building. it was also realistic as fuck. when you shoot people it feels real. Everything feels real

GTA4 also wasn't received particularly well by anyone except the critics. People complained that it wasn't very fun. It still sold well, largely because of the multiplayer where you get together with anonymous internet retards and commit acts of meaningless cartoon violence on each other and together.

It's not meaningless it says a lot about human nature. We are fucked

Holla Forums is right again!

That's why it wasn't fun.

I separate games where you do crazy shit like GTA and reality, I don't want to do that shit in reality, but because there's no consequences to my actions and no one actually gets hurt I play the games.

I suppose in a waifu simulator I might actually care about the characters though, so even in them I wouldn't want to do anything immoral, but in a game like GTA the characters have no depth.

The least you could do was make a webm.
Also,
Dropped right there, then kept going because you sound like the sort of faggot who doesn't understand what fiction is.

He straight up said people adopt a screen persona
This is not an unleashing of some true self, it is the same sort of psychological projection that makes words on a page or actors who are merely pretending able to elicit a genuine emotional reaction.

Why did you bother speaking with someone else's words if you already made your mind up? Are you a coward? Waste of time.

L-LOL

Well there are all those giant tittied loli vampire fuck mods that people make for it, so while the vanilla game is boring mediocre garbage, it might be good for fapping.

Why adopt a screen persona at all?
Hmm maybe it's psychological release otherwise repressed.

Its the test of time award. Its supposed to be games that still hold up today. Of course it should have been given to a game thats older than 5 years.

it wasn't just gta 4

also is this you?

anons pls

SEIZE

Because the game demands it.
Grand Theft Auto, to use your example, is a game about crime.
In it, you play a criminal, and the majority of your interaction with the world of the game is through criminal activity such as murder and the titular crime of grand theft auto.
Not adopting the screen persona of a criminal while playing GTA is entirely missing the point of the game, and could be compared to reading Harry Potter like a science textbook.

FUCK OFF

Sure, people do shit in video games because they wouldn't do them in real life.

I don't play GTA games to murder or rape people, I play them to feel the fun and enjoyment of the challenge of fighting against enemies and trying to out skill them or out think them, or run from the cops and survive.

And I play waifu simulators cause I want a waifu, but waifus still ain't real, thanks Trump, you lied about your most important campaign promise.

And I play RPGs to get invested and immersed in the worlds, and connect with the characters, and I start to care about them so I want to "make them happy" or whatever, even though that sounds autistic as fuck.

why of course, every media is only for a tool to subvert the masses you know and anything else is harmful to our idealistic courses

Btw iam not advocating that violent vidya is bad. And neither is zizek, he actually enjoys violent videogames as well from.what I haveheard. Iam not a sjw just wanted to see if anons agree with this point of view.

Maybe iam projecting. Maybe it's me that uses violent videogames to release idk. Also I dont.post here much

89IQ tier