Console Modding thread

ALL CONSOLES WELCOME!

Two days with my modded ps2 and im having more fun then anything ive played with the last few years. freemcboot is a wonderful thing.

Anyway, time for broad console modding thread. what console you modding user? Also how do i git gud at Tokyo Xtreme racing?

Other urls found in this thread:

3ds.guide/
sites.google.com/site/completesg/home
mega.co.nz/#F!WRcEybiS!XkS89zjkXlgscw9AJjXwrQ
pastebin.com/hicNfpCV
ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=38609
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

oh thank you merciful god

Good point, if the thread lasts long enough for a sequel the title will have to be changed.

-

Are modchipped PS1s worth it nowdays? or is emulation 100% now?

I've got an RGB mod for an N64 on the way, I'm excited to do the project. I've recently re-capped an old SNES that needed some tlc, and I've been modding game carts with dead save batteries with on board battery slots so batteries can be exchanged without soldering in the future. Modern vidya being total garbage got me using my soldering skills again, and it's one of the best things that has happened to me. I'm putting some old skills back to work, and I'm having much more fun playing the older games.

I have 3 3DSes in my house, I think it's time to mod one up so I can emulate on it. I'm pretty scared of bricking it though.

Good luck user. do a test run on a extremely cheap/barely functioning handheld before touching your own.

Fantastic user! considered doing it for shekels?

gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-noob-friendly-nand-dumping-2ds-3ds-3ds-xl-n3ds-n3ds-xl.414498/

Heres a guide for nand dumping a 3DS, something like this looks like it requires experience.

psp is pretty dank
but you know what's not dank
servers for wipeout being offline so i can't download dlc, now that isn't cool

all you have to do is run a sound file you fucking dip

Im sure you can find the DLC elsewhere, the PSN is open on uptodate CFW so people are still buying DLC/Content and dumping them. ps3iso might have them on their forums, tried asking there?

Emulation is pretty close to 100% on Mednafen/retroarch. Don't make the same mistake most faggots make by using the plugin nightmare that is ePSXe. However I would highly recommend keeping a modded ps1 around since they're so cheap and it really doesn't hurt if you have the space.

It's not that hard. 3ds.guide/

At the moment I've been fixing up CRT tvs and selling them through this local "retro" shop on the side. Hipsters and wannabe speedrunners want them and they're dumb enough to pay $50+ for small tv sets that are hardly worth $20. When I come across nice stuff like PVMs or high quality sets I typically keep them for myself or sell them to people that want them for something more than bragging rights. Right now the console stuff I'm doing is more of a hobby for myself and favors for friends at the moment, that may change over time if I feel I could get a bigger business going.

I fell for that meme, never again. Thats what i was thinking too, CDs are dirt cheap and modded consoles appear every now and then, since PS2 mod chips are pretty cheap nowadays i was thinking of picking up one and keeping it for a rainy day.

Nice finds user, keep it up. i know here in AU this shit is getting popular as hipsters are going out to the horrible western suburbs to pick up retro gear that isnt worth the price they pay.

How 'easy' is it to portablize a Wii? I see faggots putting it in Gameboy cases and want to copy. I have absolutely no experience in doing shit like this.

Why has no one ever made a portable Xbox original?

considering your lack of experience…
hard

I have an almost brand new dreamcast sitting somewhere, what can I do with that thing that doesn't involve spending 100-200 bucks on a modchip or burning CDs?

Also is there some news regarding the WiiU, last I checked you needed a legit DS VC game and an SD twice the size of whatever the console has for storage to do anything proper, don't care about coldboot but not having to connect to the internet at all to launch things would be neat

So is modding systems mostly just to emulate games, or is there modding actual content into the console games. I've seen bits and pieces of modded games over the years, but usually just zany, dumb fun stuff like modding the firing rate of tanks in halo or save states or something similar. Is there actual content making done with console mods or is it mostly just the emulation stuff?

You can get a boot disc for your dreamcast, no one bothers with the mod chips for them anymore.

Is it possible to use PSN and online play with a Rebug PS3? The online play isn't exactly required but desirable.

Don't use that. Use 3ds.guide it's all you need. We even have running threads about 3DS hacking.

The Xbox is kinda big for that. Also how do you possibly use a portable Wii? What about the controller?

Doesn't that require you to burn games and by extension rely on crappy .cdi rips?

Well they obviously do since two of those have been made recently (and they're fucking crazy expensive), there's another one in the making to plug a HDD to the DC which I hope isn't gonna be completely retarded price wise

Quite easily actually. Shame no one has done fuck all with the Xbox, even the One has portables now.

Bumping

I have a DS, a wii and a wii u. Can I mod them all?
I just did the hdd trick with my ps2 and its pretty sweet, zi have no idea where to start with games though.
I have an xbox thats next on the list to get modded as well.

for your wii

sites.google.com/site/completesg/home

homebrew media player is good

you can use flash carts for the old DSs, i had an Acekard and i fuckin loved it.

Nothing right now, was thinking about getting a Jasper X360 soon and modding it to save some space on my PS3 and play some of the exclusives on it.

So anons what's your set up?
Surprised at how good the Wii is as an emulation machine

Its limited to 480p mate, even the OG xbox does it better. If you want a good media player mod a PS3 or a x360

modded consoles are surprisingly great emulation machines providing the software is updated.

Mames and psx seem to be the worst

Also I have a soul cal 2 Nuby stick and I wondered if it was possible to get this working on a wii as well as an xbone or 360 controller?

You'd need to replace the PCB. I don't know of any third-party PCBs that do multiple consoles including the Wii so you might have to dual-mod it.

Question in regard to PS2 loader applications: How well do they handle the disc switching function that a handful of PS2 games need?

They work, you gota save the game at the swap then restart the loader with the second disc.

Better hope the game allows you to save at the swap point.

It is possible to do so, yes. My PS3 works fine.

The only problem is that Lost Planet 2 doesn't install for me, no idea why. Anyone had that issue?

I've got my 3DS CFW'd too, but the battery swelled up and it's out of commission for the moment.

I just want to be able to jam an HDMI into my SNES and N64, partially for the quality improvement but mostly because I have an HDMI splitter but every AV splitter I've bought has been terrible.

Yeah, I figure not every game lets you do an actual save after whatever the last events on the disk are. Part of why I wasn't certain as how it handled loading up a new disc ISO (given how with most games you'd get a "please insert next disc" screen with physical copies and you just keep playing from there).

As long as you follow pallets guide you're fine. It's no-where as dangerious as it used to be.

Check those quadruple dubs

Sorry I can't be more helpful with your problem but I appreciate your answering of mine, thank you!

Plailect silly.

Lel sorry for the typo.

Could I mod my wii u to play Japanese games? It's the only reason why I bother that isn't W101.

Imports? Not sure, Roms? no doubt. You can use loadliine

Yo, neat.

No worries, it seems to be an obscure issue.

Have a wii and i already installed BannerBomb,what are some good apps to install?

WAD manager (challel installer) and USB Loader GX

I mean some of them yeah. The OG xbox is surprisingly good for PS1 and N64 well, as good as N64 gets while the Wii is great for anything retro. I used to use the OG xbox as an emulation machine until I got a Wii since

Come on mate, you shouldn't be emulating those on the Wii.

Why mate? Are you an idort?

Apart from the obvious HBC, emulators for anything pre-N64, pre-Sega Saturn and you're set. You can do anything pre-DS for handles. Get Nintendon't for NGC games and triforce games. Wiimednafen is good for Turbografx and Turbografx CD.

Chart and some useful links:
pastebin.com/hicNfpCV

You don't need boot disks anymore faggots selfboot is integrated in almost all high quality dumps.

There are a few high quality groups dumping games to this day.

Sure if this were still the 90s. The average rip is better than the original game most times (as long as it all fits in a 80min CD-R and nothing of value was deleted) including VGA support, better load times and reducing clutter among other things.

This. No one uses boot discs nowadays

Should I just say fuck it and just update it and hope for a current fw hack? I already got fucked and missed the free vidya in 4.70 and it seems that 4.80 hacks are far away.

I got this OG Xbox out so I could play Steel Battalion, what's the best thing in Xbox softmods these days? Also what even is worth playing on the thing? I got a few obvious results but a chunk of the decent looking exclusives are sequels to other games I haven't played yet.

Yöu are better off making a retropie portable. Why turn a wagglan based console into a portable is beyond me.

The OG xbox has some nice exclusives and the best version of multiplats so just go ham

Huh, neat. Thanks user.

I've seen a lot of N64 RGB mods and while I will always insist RGB is worth it, the N64 mod maybe improves the image quality 15-20% over S-video. To me that's really disappointing. I don't know why Nintendo had never put the time into getting consistent results out of their video output until the wii.

I think there's a lot of great games you'll discover for the system. The library was easily better than what the gamecube had, but just to start with I'd say play Panzer Dragoon Orta, Crimson Sea, Phantom Dust, Otogi, and The Warriors. The system also supports up to 1080i, and many games run at 720p which is just gorgeous. Just get Y/Pb/Pr RCA cables and you're good.

If you have the wii composite cable it can do 1080i and 720p.

Retroarch and nintendon't.

PS3s over 3.55 cannot be jailbroken. Only some PS3s can be downgraded via hardmod. Specifically, all fats, and some slims. I don't know the exact cutoff there's a listing online.

You can get an attachment for running pirated games on any PS3 (I think) but that's all it'll do. No homebrew and such. I doubt it'll let you pirate DLC either. You'll have to be a good goy or look for a hackable PS3. The chances of a new hack are basically nil at this point.

It's like night and day adding component cables to a Wii, even if it's only 480p. 480i is utter suffering.

How?! Also seconding Nintendont even if it isn't perfect. It also works on Wii U hilariously.

the wii can output up to 1080i, if you use a composite cable sold separately. If you go to your video settings you'll see you can pick between "EDTV (480p)" or "HDTV (1080i)" or something along those lines. nintendo is fucking retarded even back then a digital input with higher resolution was cheaper and nobody who buys a console didn't have at least a DVI-A port

It's not about resolution when switching to component. You are also changing the way the television gets the colors. The colors are separated so they don't create EMI and bleed or something. S-video just by separating the blacks back in the day looked amazing too.

You can't select 480p without component cables, but yes it's also about the colour reproduction.

480i is alright on a CRT. 480i with a wider color space like rgb or even y/pb/pr is even a big improvement. Plus with 480i on the Wii I think that's the only way you can use the 240p video mode for emulated games.

yeah, 4:2:2 is great - s-video separating chroma and luma is too, although a lot of third party s-video cables made today are really cheap things and you get a composite signal as opposed to a Y/C signal from them. If you're stopping at s-video, you kinda need to get quality cables. The 480p clarity provided by component rca is a big benefit, especially if you are stuck with an LCD for these systems. I run all my 480p/240p/480i (everything up to the original Xbox) on my $12,000 monitor and the quality is substantial. a progressive image on a CRT looks tremendous.

I just got nintendo's official one. I'm sure there's a better 3rd party connector, but filtering through a sea of shit to get one that is actual gold and not brass while not having a shit tier build quality is not worth it and while modern intendo puts out shit quality products they're relatively good.

nintendo's are actually up to spec and are good cables. I'm just saying if you're buying say, n64 s-video cables or dreamcast or something, use caution because many times third parties, especially cheap ones, just send the composite signal rather than the chroma/luma signal through s-video. You can have a decent level of assurance based on if the cable you're buying has a composite out or not. If there is no composite out, it may be a good cable. Otherwise, try to check reviews first.

On the topic of fats, are they still worth a shitload of money when downgraded?

BC fats, yes. They are more prone to failure as time goes on, they need to have the thermal paste reapplied or else they will fail.

You can have it downgraded, cracked, and then play it online once it's cracked. It's what I did, and it worked fine. A guy on Kijiji did it for $50.

No it fucking can't. No games on the Wii run higher than 480p you lying cunt.

Thats a zero too many user

Why? The DC does VGA

My PS2 slim is generating a lot of heat. What do?

Clean out the dust and reapply thermal paste.

what can i do to my 360 elite to make it play .mkv container vids?

How big of a risk am I in for if I just pick a downgrade method out randomly?

Question about the PS3: if I get CFW on the internal HDD that came with the system, can I launch the games from an external one?
The model is super slim.

Can't CFW a super slim at all.

please read my post again

Well, that's fucked.
I guess I'll have to wait then.

Normally people only know about the bottom sticker are they both gone?

The Bottom sticker still exists, but it's useless as it has no model number.

Maybe it's the wrong sticker you're talking about but it should be there.
The one on the FAT is much less readable but if you had a FAT you wouldn't be asking if you can downgrade it or not.

If it's a slim and you can't find the model number anywhere then the only thing I know of is the HDD size, (provided it's the original) 120/250GB are always downgradable while only some 160/320GB can but without the date code on the bottom sticker no way I can tell you for sure if it will work.

Thanks. I sure as hell didn't find that at first glance. Now, all I need is tools, some time, or someone I can pay to do this all for me.

you can find people that will do it for you for a price. here in AU there are a few places that will do it but i dont know if they will do international orders.

Here we go, found a group of people offering downgrade services at ps3hax in the states as well as europe.

ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=38609

Anyone knows which PSOne modchip would pic be?

What alternatives exist to Loadiine for Wii U backup loading? Twilight Princess HD doesn't work too well with it. If I download the .tik and load it with the WUPinstaller will I be able to use my save that I was using when I was playing with Loadiine? Any place where I can get .tik files?

Could you elaborate on this a bit? It's not CFW but I can still play games that I downloaded no matter the OFW?

I believe what he is referring to is something called ODE.

Cobra ODE. It's basically a replacement for the disc drive. Not actually sure now if they work on all PS3 firmwares or models, and I can't even find much about the things.

For what it's worth I didn't have to pay out the ass for a softmoddable PS3, you may as well consider that first. They'll be much more flexible.

Interesting. I'll look into it.
Thanks.

bamp

There should be some homebrew players, but you could always run PS3 Media Server and do it over the network.

Bumping again with some PS2 related stuff.

Goddam some of these drivers in TXRDrift 2 are kicking my ass, im really struggling against the first two pickup drivers, even with my turboed and upgraded 85. need to work on drifting.

I ve seen many wad managers for the wii which one is the better choice?

I've got a CFW Ps3 but i can't fucking find a comprehensive guide that explains everything on the packages or how to put games,etc.
I have multiman installed, rebug toolbox, spoof,etc. but it's at least an year since the last time i used it.
Please give help

Do we have a chart for Wii U games like we do for all the other consoles? I have most of the big names physically, but I'm all for more.

Does anyone have a good download link for xbox games?

Isozone and Emuparadise are fucking garbage and nobody knows how to upload shit

Its an ikegami htm 2050ra1, its a $12,000 monitor.

Is there a good place to download wii isos?

But I'm not a sonygger. I haven't given that shitty ass company shekels since the CRT TV I bought many years before the Gaystation 1 ever came out.

Anyway, what mods do I have to do to my 360 to run whatever homebrew media player you're talking about?

Emuparadise has a lot, I think.

My fat ps3 is filled with memory should I just buy a cheap ps3 slim and play games on there? I dont like deleting my save data I get way too emotionally attached

The internet.

Orginally from a recent XBOX thread:
XBOX HDD ready (#-I) 5ccfba096f819c198077545a5f15ad29c3b6c4e0 XBOX HDD ready (J-Q) 89c832c572d7876da6cf6b6d3bee467ba5e095d9 XBOX HDD ready (R-Z) 697f20423627237748c5cceb5ca5fb9f9de17d85

get a new hard drive

You gotta have a USB hard drive as FAT32 and have your games in a GAMEZ folder, packages are run off the same hard drive via the package installer on the main menu.

Expand your hard drive or get a usb hard drive (if you have CFW)

i believe the software can be used as a AIO media server.

Here you go user. You can find more on Darkumbra, however, you need an account and to post to have links show up. Otherwise, links are all MEGA which is great.
pastebin.com/hicNfpCV
And some WADs
If I recall correctly there should also be some more on the share thread

No, it's a media centre software some guy made, it's not actually Sony.

Thanks user

If you make a portable Wii with one that can use BootMii, you can just boot straight to HBC using a GC controller. I never use my Wii remote anymore by doing that.

the xbox is a pretty complicated system due to its size (the motherboard is almost the size of the case itself, plus requires some hefty cooling - not to mention the internal PSU)

It just can't be made portable easily.