How's the localization?

I want to play this but I wish to know how bad the localization is? Was there anything changed or censored? Already played DOD1 and the shitfest that was 2 as well as Nier.

Other urls found in this thread:

lparchive.org/Drakengard-3/
nichegamer.com/2016/07/04/8-4-handle-localizing-nier-automata/
lparchive.org/Drakengard/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've heard it's pretty shit.

Dont play this game OP. Its not even the localization itself, its shit compared to D1 in terms of gameplay. Besides running horribly the gameplay is a step back on top of that because you cant even use your dragon much.

Please elaborate.

Terrible, it's also a mediocre game compared to D1 in general.
Just read it here and be done with it:

lparchive.org/Drakengard-3/

Btw D2 was terrible, but it did have old man badass Caim, and this guy, whos story was kinda interesting, so it wasn't a total waste, i guess.

The Dragon segments are entirely on rails, cant just jump onto it whenever you feel like compared to the intro sections I've played in D1. The sound design is genuinely terrible, I never really complain about sound in games but the mixing is completely fucked because in cutscenes where voice acting is louder compared to the music. The framerate is dogshit. I never played Nier 1 but since D3 is made after that I'm expecting the worst.

Nier plays, sounds and feels great. The english localization is also pretty damn good since 8-4 was kept on a very tight leash.

Nier is great.
Well it's not the best game ever made or anything, gameplay wise it's mediocre.
But it's good, it has many good elements in it.
Definitely play it before Nier 2 comes out.

Is the story at least good enough that you'll want to get the true ending in Nier? I've only made it up to the Branch A ending in D3 because the story and characters just didnt interest me at all, the only thing I remember about it is the soundtrack and its many faults.

The true ending in nier offers naught but a admittedly neat meta gimmick with no actual story payoff. Just do NG+ once, it's the meat of the experience.

Yeah, Nier has a solid story.

Get ending A and B. Watch C and D on youtube or get a save file from somewhere.

Speaking of localization Taro doesnt seem to care since he thinks his stories are pretty shit at the end of the day

A lot of people stop at Branch A from what I hear, for similar reasons too. The issue is that the story up until after Branch A is sort of hidden from you and the characters aren't explored much. I don't think you even find out why Zero is trying to kill her sisters until Branch C iirc so it doesn't give most people much incentive to keep playing. It's the worst/least good of the 3 games Yoko's directed but it has it's moments.

I don't speak Kraut, but there's this statement from him regarding the localization: nichegamer.com/2016/07/04/8-4-handle-localizing-nier-automata/

No, he doesn't care because he doesn't give a fuck about the western version of his games.
He exclusively cares about the japanese version and that's it.

I bought the collector's edition for this game and I haven't even played it. I didn't even play the first two games. I did play Nier though.

I still wonder why Yoko Taro structured the story like that, it doesnt make sense.

The interview is in english skip ahead a bit.

He's got a video on the way he writes stories at GDC. He calls it backwards script writing, and essentially he thinks of the end point and a bunch of critical points along the way then goes from there. He says he does this to account for his low budgets. Given the way DOD3 turns out in the end I wouldn't say that the endings before the final ending are really endings, just important points in the plot as opposed to the more conclusive endings we got in Nier and DOD1.

Play D1.
Or if you can't, at least read this.

lparchive.org/Drakengard/

I've read about that technique he uses. Its just that with DOD3 it doesnt give much reason to want to go any further than Branch A, it certainly didnt make a compelling arguement in terms of story up to that point or gameplay, for me at least. Maybe one day I'll finish up Branch B and at least go to Branch C.

I'm surprised nobody posted this yet.