Warcraft 3

How is WC3 community nowdays? Do people still play melee maps or custom games anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamdb.info/app/570/graphs/
ghostpp.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

DOTA consumed most of it.
These days it's best played with a close group of friends, so that means basically Holla Forums is fucked, end of story.

From what I read blizzard announced they will be shutting down support for windows XP and vista, so the players with weaker pc-s will be hit.
But in general wc3 should be pretty dead. With dota 2 being free dota fags should be moving.

DOTA2 is also dead.
Most DOTAfags are now on LoL (wish i was kidding).

They've both been mostly cannibalized by Overwatch anyway.

when i wrote custom games i meant non-Dota, modern Dota should go die in fire.

I can't speak for official servers. The pirate ones still had active mod servers but they were playing pretty boring shit a year ago. Some crazy rpgs that need you to save your progress.

I absolutely lost interest in even monitoring changes around the *talent* update, but I don't believe dota 2 is going anywhere. It's too big to fail.

Rooms for the old favorite custom maps tend to fill pretty quickly, and I know of a bong streamer whose youtube uploads average 10k+ views, so it's not completely dead. Pretty cancerous, though. Maphackers galore in standard games and levels of autism and spergouts that are high even by online multi's standards. Definitely best played with friends.

nah

i forgot to include in OP but when i said custom games i meant non-Dota ones

Regular WC3 still exits, most people are playing over wc3arena to avoid the build in battle.net lag though.

Yeah, Blizzard is going to go back and intentionally break WC3 on XP.
Maybe you shouldn't just hear but try to think as well.

Dota2 is doing fine. Player numbers are stable instead of growing, which is probably what you're talking about.

Dota 2 at one point had tens of thousands of people playing any single custom game. Now it has at best 1500.

Dead game.

Okay, a couple years back, the casualfags went on to play on ASSFAGGOTS, then when blizzard released SC2, they went there, got pissed off at the always online shit and paid maps, it whittled down both communities, then finally Dota 2 release, couple of updates later, the mapping community went on to make custom maps, then finally Hearthstone and Overwatch happened, and it's finally fucking niche community of fucking autists with fanfic written shit and that

steamdb.info/app/570/graphs/
Seems fine

SC2 has pretty alive mapping community.
It also went free for custom maps so no wonder.

I don't see any significant drop

All of their maps are shittier versions of wc3 maps though. Their *vampirism* is garbage.

Seems like there are a lot of custom map streamers with a decent following on youtube, so it's possibly still alive.

The delusion is real

Would anybody be so kind as to give a torrent for WC3?

I played solo last Christmas. Didn't take too long to find a match. Custom games section has been quite miserable since dota2 was released but you can still find players to play with.

Specialized server software has existed for ages to reduce the battle.net latency. GHost++ is one of my favorite hosting tools because it's highly customizable and you can host one game across multiple networks (LAN, Battle.NET, and whatever-the-fuck-else) to make it fill up faster and play with different peeps.

ghostpp.com/

Didn't Blizzard devastate the SC2 mapping scene with some retarded monetization scheme?

I'm so fucking sick of that map. I want something new. Also, nice Garrosh, what are some good mods that add new content? To the main game, I mean, not necessarily maps.
Answering your question, OP, I still play it, but I've never played it with anyone else but my friends. Willing to give a try to anons even though that, after all this time, I still suck.

Look at 2017, shit is going down.

Explain

I used to love and respect them, then they created the dota-like games…

There were few policies to make sure they could make a bank on the new "Dota" that someone would theoretically create and make SC2 incredibly popular

of course a second dota never happened and what you're left with is highly policied lobby that makes it extremely hard to find new games

To prevent people from creating something good and fun Blizzard added a huge ACCEPT OR YOU CANNOT USE EDITOR! and they made map editor too complex so only autists of highest degree would stick around. They mainly did it to prevent another Dota fiasco because of their own stupidity now Valve is cashing in on that MOBA money.

Also funny thing is some guy recreated WC3 models/maps etc in SC2 map editor, it was quite decent but Blizzard fucked him over in a small patch (broke his models/maps and said it was a bug they will fix Soon TM) then 1 year later literally reused all of his stuff for Heroes of the Storm, poor guy couldnt do anything about it because he agreed on ALL PROPERTIES IN EDITOR ARE OWNED BY BLIZZARD CLICK ACCEPT OR YOU CANNOT USE OUR EDITOR!

people use third party software to connect like Eurobattle.net, WC3arena etc because Blizzard doesnt give a shit anymore about WC3

I see. That's what I've always done anyway since I've always had a pirated copy.

Got any pictures or links?

It's tough to get into any competitive game that isn't 1v1, however it is not dead. There are people on bnet all the time.

To this day I still can't believe some of the things people made in the map maker.

There was a vidya group that played custom maps, they went to shit and died from being autistic and hosting the same map over and over until everyone left. Melee sucks.
I'd love it if a new vidya group formed.

whats wrong with melee maps?

It's always the same, not terrible but why would you play it over the fun smorgasbord of custom maps? Not to mention customs are friendlier towards casuals inept at RTS, like me.

why not improve in melee maps instead of avoiding them

It's melee, there's nothing new or inventive to change it. By changing the units and game dynamics, it becomes a custom map anyway.

Watch the replays when you get your ass kicked and learn what you're doing wrong.

With skill discrepancies, you could always play melee maps with custom races, so the more experienced players don't have the advantage of ingrained knowledge of units and meta.
fuck I love playing as creep races

if you didnt master melee you cant say its boring or not inventive

WC3 and DotA really taught me how far this place has its head up it's own ass.

Everyone was trying to tell me how Dota is a water-downed RTS. So I started checking out RTS because dota is un-fucking-playable now, and now I'm 99% sure nobody who said that has ever played Dota for 5 fucking minutes. I went in expecting it to play like fucking Meepo or Chen, where there is an intense focus on micro management.
>All your units are extremely valuable, so if a single one dies you're fucked especially on chen with random creeps

No. The most micro you do is sending out scout units to the enemy base. It's all macro. Even dota has macro with broodmother. Even then with brood you can't let any of your spiders die, because if you do you can feed several heroes worth of gold to the other team. I honestly wonder how many people here played league of legends, or wc3 dota for 5 minutes, and assumed dota was basically league. Well, with 7.00, it basically is now.

I'm saying it can't be improved or changed much because it's always the same gameplay and meta. It's melee.

there is no meta in melee, meta exists in Dota1/2

dunno, but funnywarcraft3 is a great youtube channel
the guy si so skilled

Generally speaking, LoL and Dota 2 are the cancer, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with the original.

holy shit you absolute mongoloid, you'd have a seizure if you laid eyes on AoE2
see, you aren't aware of W3's micro, even the really obvious stuff like blocks and surrounds, because you're a garbage noob with your head so far up your own ass you think you already understand the game
pls record yourself playing against someone even halfway competent and beating them with your nomicro

Tell me more about how easy this genre is, wood league player.

Then why do nearly all of the tons of high level melee games I've watched play out the same? Same hero order, almost always same strategy for each race setup. Meta just means optimal strategy, it's not a boundless sandbox game so of course it has a meta.

Can you point me towards any semi-decent guides on RTS gameplay? I've been meaning to get into the genre but I'm autismal as fuck and need to spend 30 hours studying for a game.

Just according to keikaku.

can you provide example of such high level games because even today streams i am seeing are all non-meta games, hell you even had people playing weaker heroes and pulling some wierd strategies like offensive expansion rush

I can show you the basics and some tricks and from there you can develop your own playstyle, over time you will improve yourself and get better understanding of each race/unit.

Holla Forums is not the place to go for serious rts discussion. everyone here wants to play a tower defense

No, not really, but most of the games I watched had the same usual strats. Bottom line is I don't find melee fun and think tons of more potential in custom maps. It all boils down to personal taste.

I still play it with my friends from time to time, I heard gameranger is still alive so I sometimes play through there too.

He has some pretty funny cheese strats, I found this guy called wtiiwarcraft, he seems pretty good and has a big following.

Idk man. If you want to learn something like
You just have to talk massive shit until some autist spergs out and gives you the answer. I asked nicely a while ago and the only one I got was Red Alert 3 with how some of your units have active abilities or something.

you dont find melee fun because you are beginner at it and dont want to climb the hill of improvement

Maybe, but no point in improving if doing it isn't fun. I'd rather play something else.

Nigger we've had 4x, rts, stronghold, and other similar threads all in the last week. Just because they may not be on the board anymore doesn't mean they didn't happen.

improving yourself is fun especially when you find out you can combine crazy strategies and gamestyles

Please note that I don't claim to be beyond mediocre at RTS myself, they just comprised most of my childhood vidya and I enjoy watching it in adulthood.
I don't know of any specific guides, but most of it boils down to familiarity. Read the full stats on everything, use hotkeys, watch some top players for an idea of what's optimal, and play the game a lot. Once you automatically know what everything does, how to autopilot a standard startup, have rough ideas of how much eco you need at what stages to play into a strategy, once you glimpse how many resources your opponent is spending or what production structure he's building and can recognize what his plan is, you're most of the way there. Familiarity, muscle memory and knowledge of all the little tips and tricks of the meta, that is absolutely all there is to gitting gud at RTS.

Theres another thing called melee that could say the same thing.

You played Dota before you played a real RTS? Are you fucking 12?

i can't even find a random 3v3 melee match anymore. real shame, i used to be really good at wc3, was really good at 1v1 matches when i was younger.

Actually no. I played the original command and conquer because it was one of the only games my piece of shit PC could play back in the day.

pirated or legit version?

just

Dota 2's UMS is a failed project.
That's Valve's fault.
Dota 2 is not a failed project. The absolute peak participation was because of the millions of Chinese paying attention to Shanghai Major, the avg playercount is regressing to normal by now.

You don't know what an alive mapping community looks like.

Yes.

Their restructuring of Battle.net killed the community in its infancy. They also weeded out independent laddering and took control of all of the player-controlled elements that made Starcraft so versatile.

They also weeded out independent editors that could break into the engine and limited the users' access to their own content. The neatest concepts are either propped up by Blizzard or flop due to the way it's organized, and by the time WOL beta ended, everyone knew what the score was.

I think you are a just a pleb. And it's kind of dumb to request this when this is what usually makes RTS not fun.

they fucking immediately figured it out after though, and i had nothing
God i miss that shit, at least i've still got vamp

Shit anons, used to play multiplayer on this all the time almost a/over a decade ago. Shame it became just a mindless DOTA-thon towards the end though.. Damn shame.. Custom Hero Line Wars and Tower Defense was fucking fun. Starcraft 2 had some decent custom games but unfortunately most of them were just shit. Never captured the true feel of Wc3, and then someone took my blizzard account because it was linked to me, my dad's and my brother's single WoW account even though we hadn't played it for years. Some fucknugget had actually hacked into my account, and blizzard's customer support was so horrendous that I believe they intentionally/unintentionally sided with the fucking hacker.

Naturally I wasn't gonna pay for starcraft 2/all that shit all over again. Morale of the story, blizzard became kikes almost as bad as EA and I hope their fucking company burns until they have to listen to their fanbase/adopt the old methods once more.

is there a WC3 Holla Forums community that still plays melee maps/custom games (non-dota)

Was it responsible for killing PC gaming?

short of a hd-remaster/re-release I don't see wc3 ever coming back. The wc3 sc2 remake is dead, and as long as WoW is alive I don't see any hope for WC4.

WC3 community is alive in small groups i guess but honestly i wouldnt want modern Blizzard to make WC4

I don't even want to see them making WC4.
They weren't even able to make fucking Diablo 3.

I just want everything that have happened in WoW in form of RTS.

So you want to experience killing everyone relevant to wc3 in RTS format ?

Yes. That includes looney Illidan, Arthas/King Lich and… I don't know, after that I stopped caring.

It's a fate worse than death, don't even encourage this.

Ranked 1v1 and team matches on bnet are still going.
There are always at least 6k users around, 10 at peak hours.
Most players are pretty good, so don't expect easy wins.

Getting into a custom game that isn't dota is very hard, so you can forget it.

There are 2 fairly decent custom campaigns about that.
I think one is called "Rise of the Blood Elves" and the other is about the Forsaken, but I forgot the name.
Look for them on the "hiveworkshop."

Finally someone that recommends custom maps.Any other recommendation? What about custom races? Thanks, in advance.

Just poke around the hive site for whatever you like and try things out.
Make sure to pay attention to the number of players needed for the map.

"The last guardian" is one of the favourite campaigns around, so try that one along with the other two I mentioned ("Curse of the Forsaken" is the other campaign, I looked it up).
TLG is mostly a puzzle game with little combat, latter can be a bit difficult, so if you're looking for a bit of a challenge they're decent.

There are also a lot of fantastic RPG maps, but you really need friends for them.
Preferably those that you personally know and can drag them so they'd play the maps with you to the end.
"The Sunken Temple" is probably the fan favourite. You also have "Gaias Retaliation" which is bloody huge.

Regicide is pretty decent map but you can prob find more on Hiveworkshop or Epicwar

CastleFight is still the greatest evolution of rock-paper-scissors I've ever seen.

Varian, Ysera, Lady Vashi, Deathwing, Kael, some pandas, grommash hellscream and… you know what, at this point I don't care either.

What about maps with AI support? Since I mostly play alone. Or maybe campaign with single player or co-op.

Varian died? Good.

Island Troll Tribes

Dota is a watered down RTS.

That's the thing. It has gone on for so long I actually don't give a shit about anyone dying. Probably the only one I cared about was Cairne and that was it.
It's like a long drawn out soap opera. Just finish it and be done with it.

This is the part that matters the most. Versatility in choices and being able to react and plan is what puts the "S" in "RTS".

Well, thechenicallylasdfy you can change your strategy. Or at least that's what ASSFAGGOTS players will tell you:
Except that 95% of the playerbase just checks the current meta-build site after every patch hits where some autist crunched the math and found out "pick this, this and that for >50% win rate".

You can always try something else I did it to piss off Russians screaming about my build since I don't care about winning but if you really want to climb up the ranking, you either follow the meta, or lose 9 outta 10 games.

You can try some alternate strategies, but only if you have 4 other friends playing with you.
The "top + mid + adc& sup bottom + jungler" meta has become so ingrained into the game that at most you'll see someone trying an early "gank" once every 5 games.
Deviate from the meta and you get 4 angry people screaming at you.
Even if they play like shit and you did pretty well, the loss will be blamed on you because ASSFAGGOTS players can't improvise and thinking on their feet.

Dropped that shit years ago.
If I feel like getting braincancer, I'll either pick up Smite (because it changed the formula somewhat) or Heroes of the Storm because fuck it, it's casual as shit and sometimes I don't wanna think about shit, just punch it.
ASSFAGGOTS in general are bad for your brain development. Pick something like Factorio or Myst to compensate for the dumbing effect they have.

just to point something out for Dota1/2

In Dota1 before Icefraud took over all heroes had multiple roles and many different builds, for example Tidehunter could fill 3 roles, tank, carry or support, same with Abaddon, Doombringer and many other heroes. When Icefraud took over he took a huge shit on some heroes with no real reason (prob his personal dislike to them) like Doom getting his armor nerfed into the negative ( from 26% to -7% armor reduction at lvl 1) or how Lycan got turned from a decent hero at all stages to a press Ulti for 18 seconds rape machine then hide for 3 minutes till your ulti gets up again.

Icefraud also ruined heroes by removing their roles through either heavy abilities changes like Razor/Viper or retarded mechanic changes like Abaddon getting his Autoattack speed nerfed to a point where fucking intelligence hero with 1.0 agility gain per level attacks faster than him. So now you have Tidehunter/Abaddon and others who are only used for 1 role and if you try to build them differently than Meta you are severally punished. Icefraud has slowly turned Dota into LoL with better graphics and less cancerous community. This shit also explains why over the last few years alot of LoL players migrated to Dota2 and adapted so easily.

You seem to be talking about LoL though, almost none of that shit applies to DotA.

Blizzard recently delivered a new patch that raised multiplayer map limits to 128mb, map quality sort of risen ever since. Anti-maphack systems never worked because Blizzard isn't making any shekels out of it.
There were pretty comfy maps such as cruiser command, metastasis, undead assault, world in flames etc. It's a shame they removed the Trump map off hive, despite
just being a meme trash.I still have it, though.

There was a map where you can outskill everyone as a turtler simply by spamming pandas right at their base, as in every unit would split into two and so forth. The results are pretty fun, you can't alt+tab out of the game.

didn't mean to reply, fuck

Uh, are you sure?

Never again will we have a nearly infinite source of new games to play, the days of custom maps are over.

Also Rise of the Blood Elves received an update and tomoraider (creator of these maps) is thinking about doing the same to Curse of the Forsaken.

Still play the custom maps. Shit's great. Here are my latest favourites:
SweetRevenge, Saviors of Ellarys, Sunken City, Reign of Darkness rpg, FreedomSlipsAway, there are so many good maps/mods. Shits still great.

Just don play with complete arseholes. They can ruin any game. MOBAs are the worst.

I only downloaded Dota 2 for UMS because fuck ASSFAGGOTS. But most of the custom games seemed to be more ASSFAGGOTS. This is what it must've felt like to be a WC3 player that had to play Dota and barely anything else

Did Blizzard ever actually make paid maps for SC2? (besides the HOTS/LOTV/co-op missions)

see for yourself.

…oh.

Only campaigns have working AI.
All other maps can either be soloed or you might need a person or two, but none of them that I know of have AI for player characters.

By the way, they'll be releasing patch 1.27c soon.

custom map scene is still alive its just that good chunk of playerbase has stopped playing and moved on to Dota2/LoL etc

Fuck, I miss this so much. is there any platform I can use to play custom maps other than bnet? It's pretty dead nowadays, and garena pulled the plug.

GameRanger, but it's kind of shit.

Eurobattle net

You make account, download their thing and play with it, last time i played it had ~600 people online