my.mixtape.moe/kxbxkd.mp3
drive.google.com/open?id=0B1laio2k4HufWnZzREVhMDdPdE0
drive.google.com/open?id=0B1laio2k4HufMHZiNzd0VUx2X3M
drive.google.com/open?id=0B1laio2k4HufZm9fYThwdGpZNDQ
mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/noise/
eastfarthing.com/blog/2015-04-21-noise/
ninjapretzel.github.io/ProcGen/01coherence.html
staffwww.itn.liu.se/~stegu/simplexnoise/simplexnoise.pdf
web.archive.org/web/20150607183420/http://webstaff.itn.liu.se/~stegu/TNM022-2005/perlinnoiselinks/perlin-noise-math-faq.html
flafla2.github.io/2014/08/09/perlinnoise.html
bartwronski.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/ac4_gdc.pdf
katsbits.com/tutorials/blender/bake-normal-maps.php
my.mixtape.moe/xwfdhj.mp3
ninjapretzel.github.io/ProcGen/
itch.io/jam/1-room-rpg-jam
itch.io/jam/resistjam
devmag.org.za/2009/05/03/poisson-disk-sampling/
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdB4Y9kASKgHiXJNVnhoH55PxGgggL00L716nXumrHZzaCvTQ/viewform?c=0&w=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How in-demand of a skill is 3d modeling? I've been debating whether I should try picking it up, but if there are already shit tons of modelers out there pumping out ever cheaper assets, it is likely a better use of my time to just focus on game design.

I started making music with LMMS but I can't get the piano VST to sound realistic ? Wat do ? It sounds like a robot is playing.

Meh I finished another model more or less. I just need to give its tread some few more detail and add 3 more camouflage then it's done. It annoys me that I have to use classes just for having 3D skins, so when there is a map pack which has like 10 winter and 10 desert maps it could become awkward.

one thing you can do is move the notes ever so slightly off beat, to where it's barely noticeable and still sounds on beat, but it's not perfect. it especially makes it better when you're playing more than one note at a time, because that's when you really notice it.
some programs i think have plugins that do that automatically.

for some reason, the wheel texture seems off and i can't put my finger on it.
the textures themselves are a tad low quality, but the models will probably be small, so that's forgivable.

I use for the chassis a 1024^2 texture and the treads have a 256^2 texture. Making a really gud textures is not really my strength.

Anybody know how I can open a .mesh model?
Or in alternative how to find a good naked model that's already rigged?

Why is momentum such a bitch?

Dynamic. Have few notes very slightly off tact or off note, each not slightly different volume, different volumes over time like louder and quiter parts for dramatic or softness, add FX like reverb, saturation, stereoenhancer, artificial latency, amplifier etc to make it sound more full and so on. FX are like half the job. Look up Sound, FX and VST tutorials even if they are for other sound programs, most of it works in LMMS too.
And if you really want to do some top notch shit, might as well get a good midi keyboard.

Did you try googling "naked 3D model that is already rigged"?

at least in an agdg enviroment, they are in relative demand.
now animators are another story, Anton and Coolpecker died because of a lack of talented animators

needs baked ambient occlusion.
If the game is gonna use SSAO then it will probably look fine without further adjustment

I thought it was because they tried to make too big of a game.

Too bad that 3D Coat shit itself the bed every time I want to use the ambient occlusion baking and I don't even know why it does that in the first place, reinstalling it does not fix the problem.

Planning the INN/tavern first floor
It feels like im missing something

You're missing windows.

details, details, im talking about rooms in generals

No, I came here asking because I decided I don't want to use google.
Of course I fucking searched you tard, everything I find looks like shit.

I found a Marie Rose naked model which is apparently rigged, but it's in .mesh and I have no clue how to open it to edit it.

Where's the loo?

How do customers go from the INN reception to the tables?

will probably be downstairs, im not sure where im supposed to place it, how was it done in medieval cities?

oh right! i will make a door between the reception and the tables

Did you try googling "how to open .mesh file?"?

Why is reception apart from tables and bar? You have to take down that big beautiful wall.

user go fuck yourself

ok now for windows, i wonder if 4 is enough
i made red indications of where i plan to put them

btw im taking inspiration from this pic

user Isn't wrong, you can easily google such problems you lazy nigger. But for the sake of being nice, get the XNAlara/XPSmodel addon for Blender to open the Marie Rose file. There is even a giant deviantart group for this with endless models, especially from DoA, you could use, though you will have legal problems if you use that commercially. Might as well have questioned cuckchan /3/ for this.

Then it needs way more windows.

on the second and third level, yes, but it doesn't seem to have many on the first

I googled it and I couldn't find anything.
Thanks for the help.

If you make the entire building out of glass, you wont have to use windows.

GENIUS

Once I open the .mesh file in Blender, is there any way to export it with textures and rigging so that it can be opened by another program?
I'd work with blender but everything about it is absolutely retarded

yes, i done it before, but im so fucking rusty right now i can't remember

I just reminded myself i had to adjust normals, my tavern has inverted faces all over the place

I have a feeling that is going to end up looking like a 3D Hotline Miami 2.

Outside, either in a hole or an outhouse.

I looked for him as well just now, but I can only find tools to convert it to .OBJ which doesn't have a rig. I think he just wants a cute girl rig reference.

nah, its a comfy harvestmoon-like

in towns yes, but in big cities too?

Yes, in an outhouse with a bucket which usually would up being emptied in the street. Ever heard of the black plague?

I've been on open source game engine contribution streak for past 6 month, but haven't been able to just like make game in years.

Which engine ?

i should have been more specific, im thinking of a more late renaissance/enlightment era with some minor magical steampunk here and there
no need for full realism

Löve. It's pretty cool.

Is everything made in LUA or is it C behind the scenes ?

It's on top of SDL2 so the backbone is in C++. It exposes Lua API for modules, and uses Lua bootstrap and performance scripts here and there.

The renaissance is right after medieval times though. Anyhow, flushing toilets did get invented around that time, but they weren't in use until they were reinvented 200 years later because everyone laughed at the first guy who came up with it.
But since you're using steampunk aspects all that flies out of the window, you could go so far as turning shit into the magical power source that enabled their steam revolution if you wanted. Call it shitpunk.

MoM user here again, today showcasing the Skeleton Summon Magnum Revolver, the Death-Blow!

As per usual, feel free to ask any questions!

oh god… I was gone for a pretty long time, but I remember you, man. I still recall when you were first posting your sprites. Shit takes me back to a more innocent time, when I wasn't worrying about failing classes.

You seem to be doing pretty okay for yourself. One thing I will say, and I don't know whether you can really fix this without sacrificing gameplay, but the skeletons move too quickly to really show off their animations well. It might just be an issue with 3d movement, however.

i'm dying

My skinner box is coming along nicely

more progress on EncounterScreen

I can't decide if I want to make my game darker (but still colorful) like castlevania or really bright and comfy like oblivion. I've been seeing a lot of pictures of places with god-tier color contrast that made me want to go for the later. Plus super grittyness is kinda getting worn out. I have hard nastolgia for CotM though, and have always liked it's style since I was a kid. One thing I remember in particular was the backgrounds would move in such a way that would make you feel like you where in this gigantic castle.

My game isn't a sidescroller though.

looking sweet

the reason GBA games are so bright is because the screen on the original model was garbage, that was probably the reason why it's so bright, compared to SotN.

I know what you mean; In the case of 2D sprites, it can be a bit hard to show animations clearly, especially if they turn around. Unfortunately they is no way to make their movements more smooth in the base engine itself. it varies from character to character how well it behaves too!

Oh i know! shit will be odorless and transparent! so all the glass houses can be made of solid shit, this way i don't have to make windows!
FUCKING PERFECT

So your civilization will become Nigger tier? Those Niggers in Africa smear their dirt hut all the time with cow shit.

Well, building their huts out of shit wouldn't be such a nigger-tier idea if the shit was odorless and transparent.

I wish you made a grid based movement and combat.

Freeway movement in HnS games is such a shitty meme

Shits cash soon i can move onto LOS and floodfill.

no, i was kidding, buildings will be made of wood and stone, by a dryad (carpenter) and a geomancer (still have to think of a monstergirl to represent her)
It will be a comfy monstergirl town

I know everyone has to do these things while learning, but doing all these mundane 2D space shooter and platforming game tutorials sucks. Give me a different kind of gameplay for me to learn from, already!

it's easier to do, I want the game done within 9 days. I got late on that 1-room-rpg gamejam.

but if there's time I'll try to play with some faux-grid.

actually, with GMS, I started out by editing random variables in an open source Mario engine. learned a lot about camera control and such.

Whatever comes of this project. I hope persistant corpses stays. Too many games remove the bodies after going X distance away or X time passes, etc.
It tickles my autism when corpses stay. I get it when they disappear between loading screens/levels. But I personally find there to be no excuse for lack of persistent corpses

Never just do what you are told in these tutorials or you will forget everything you did the next day. Use what you learn from them to add more stuff. It will make these basic games much more enjoyable to create.

My first learning game was a basic flappy bird clone with jetpack movement and a shooting mechanic. I added procedural terrain tiles that are generated within a random but logical height so that map generation doesn't just go in a straight line. I also added enemy ambushes where the terrain generation becomes flat and empty as you advance until all enemies spawned are dead.
Doing this made the game much more interesting to make and play than the fucking flappyshit it was first intended to be.

Don't just do a space shooter, make a bullet hell with complicated bullet movement, or give it a map with pathing like in starfox 64.

I need a break. It hurts too much, right now.

I'm just going to play video games for like a week straight and then get back to work.

Man, LMMS is a turd of epic proportion seriously. Every fucking time it either crashes or one track doesn't work, I have just spent 5 minutes reloading my project each time one of my track didn't have sound, and yes I have checked It wasn't the volume. Anyway …

vocaroo.com/i/s1K5NLmAVit3
I followed your advices but it still sounds like shit and since I can't get multiple tracks to work together at once I'm stuck with just one part of my fucking song. This is supposed to be played by a clarinet and have some cellos in the background doing some support but since none of the VST can play either too high or too low notes (It doesn't play them at all) this is all that I could do. I'm salty.

Well at least I got double dubs.

What's wrong ?

That game still is petty colorful

Pirate Kontakt ffs.
Or any other better VST than what you are apparently using.

for some reason, this billboard i drew seems applicable to this situation.
take care of yourself, man.

was it you or some other user that said that LMMS was just as good as FL Studio?

anyhow, about the song.
1. find a better vst.
2. use a better fucking program.
3. if you can really use only one instrument, then you might as well contrast high and low notes. use low for bass.
why can't you get multiple tracks to work together, anyway? is it because of technical reasons or do they just sound shit together? i may be looking too deep into this.

i don't disagree. but comparing the two side to side, CotM is way brighter.

Silly question about the RPG maker engine. Can you make different kinds of defenses? like cover, move or guard.

I was thinking about a game where you need some particular kind of defense, like getting cover against range attacks, move against throwing weapons (like grenades or molotov cocktails) and guard against physical attack.

Also, how big can you make a party? just thinking about adding lots of playable characters with particular skills each one of them to solve puzzles and for variety.

"Why don't you join the SUN club? You'll gonna meet a lot friends there."
ruh-roh

Just checked some tavern interior pics, im full of inspiration

we actually have shit like that here. they tried to convince me to join one of them.

(checked)
Well to be honest fam it looks like a new meme is of the making that will have the same meaning as "An hero yourself".

i don't know how to feel about this.

It's all in the numbers.

Number one: Check those gets.
Number two: those gets don't lie.
That's terror built into the system.

Technical reasons, I'm not the only one with that problem, and it was some other user who said LMMS was just as good not me.

just get Fruity Loops, man. you can't work like that.

Pirate FL Studio or try to use REAPER; the good VSTs like Kontakt and Sforzando crash all the time on LMMS—in fact, sometimes I've had them render projects unopenable. Also, using anything vaguely CPU-heavy on LMMS lags audio like a bitch. I ended up bouncing lots of short tracks and splicing them together in post.

Here's some free orchestral/acoustic shit you don't have to pirate that you may find useful:

vis.versilstudios.net/vsco-community.html
I haven't tried this one for longer than five minutes, but it sounds nice.

sso.mattiaswestlund.net
I use this; instruments sound pretty shit on their own but slap some reverb on them and use them together in an ensemble and they sound nicer.

ivyaudio.com
hephaestus-sounds.com
Good piano freebies.

You also want this VST for playing sfz files:
plogue.com/products/sforzando/

This blog has links to freebies:
bedroomproducersblog.com

And pirate at your own risk:
magesy.co

Listen to this shit: clyp.it/gbl1awcf

WIP made entirely with multiple instances of a single free grand piano instrument that you can download from ableton.com to use in the daw. Ableton offers a completely unlocked 30 day free trial and its only $100 for the 16 track version afterwards. you can always pirate the full ableton suite, there are many versions floating around

Thanks for all the advices, as for piracy, I'd like to avoid it since I'm on Windows and most malware is made for this platform.

come on, man. Avast is FREE.

It takes motivation bordering on a mental illness to get these projects done.

How does the Memoirs of Magic user and that guy who is doing the space pirate game do game devving in the Doom engine? Is it different from just creating Doom mods/wads?

I do plan on going out of my way to do some things on my own. The tutorial hasn't even taught anything about despawning projectiles that leave the play area. So I figured it'd be fun to do that. I also figured that I'll make enemies with different movement patterns. Right now there's only one enemy type and they just move down.
Should be fun, or I'll kill myself, I'm sure Holla Forums is happy with either or.

Ok enough for today, im happy i could get some shit done, since i will being too slow in the code

Are there any engines that come with first person tile based movement in the vein of games like SMT 1/2, Legend of Grimrock and Stonekeep or will I have to build this sort of stuff myself.

My first guess would be to try Unity, where I would have to build these systems myself, although at least importing models from Blender is easy.

There's another engine that you goys keep recommending but now I don't remember what it is.

There's a supported architecture add-on for blender have you tried that?

Nope, i had no idea, is it good?

Not yet, give it a try.

Dude, its amazing and you are in for a big surprise.
Its called Archimesh

I feel like i just wasted my whole weekend now

But it seems there will be plenty time saved in the future to make up for that, this looks amazing

Is can you edit freely the meshes and objects created by this afterwards?

Is there any documentation, I get a feeling there should be an easier way to edit wall lengths amongst other things.

I have it but i havent used it much because most of my modeling is of objects, not entire rooms. I assume you can just finish a basic layout and manually edit whatever you want later. It just speeds up the process and it has a few prefab like windows or stairs that can be edited as you place them

I found this github github.com/Antonioya/blender/tree/master/archimesh
and wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Add_Mesh/Archimesh

I guess most of it are the tutorial videos by the author himself and a blenderartists thread

the quick windows and doors might be very helpful, i have to check it later, i will keep what i have done and see if i can do it better with the archimesh tomorrow

What's the better method to create 3D levels? Belnder or in-engine level editor(Using Unity)? Maybe a combination of both?

It looks like you're missing the everything.

Okay here's a good question

How can I make animated procedural fog texture? I know roughly how to do noise, but I don't know how to make it change over time without "jumping" to the new one. Is it just matter of interpolating between two textures periodically and moving it?

just fucking kill me
I just wanted a naked grill model why is this so hard

It's hundreds of polygons between the hairs user
there's no way I'll be able to fix it

Rate my pistol.

needs more detail

boxy glock/10

shitnormals/10

r8 this old track
clyp.it/oqh0kbav

You forgot about the one/two massive flaw(s) in LMMS:
if you use pure LMMS, say goodbye to original vocals
**Renoise >= QTractor >>>> Ardour on Loonix DAWs imo*

GTAIV glock/10

Nobody caught that it didn't have a magazine. C'mon guy's you're slipping :^).

Detail comes later when I make the textures. I'm fully aware of how much it's missing.

I can fillet the edges of the slide if that would help. Lengthening it and making the front of the slide similar to the G40 Gen4 would also probably help. Can't do much about the general shape without making it not look like a Glock though.

I'm kinda new to modeling so if you could point to to a tutorial on what exactly you mean and how to fix it I would appreciate it. I know none of the faces need to be flipped, if that's what your getting at. Do you mean how the shading is kinda messed up on the grip? I don't know why that's the case because all the normals on the side are all perfectly parallel to the Y axis. I widened the trigger guard if that helps as well.

(checked)
Thanks, I think.

you usually bake in the detail from the model to a lower poly version of it

Alright, time to add a bunch of detail I guess.

Nevermind I found this.
blend4web.com/en/community/article/131/
Sage for double post.

I guess noone uses RPG Maker anymore?

Sorry for being a filthy casual.

Sorry mate. I heard horror stories about simple elements in RPGM needing autistic Lua coding and went with GMS instead.

I still want some user to post the original cap of this story.

Also, there's nothing wrong with using RPG Maker if you have a good story idea. Just, like, make game, mate.

Something tells me you haven't started yet. If that's the case, consider gamemaker or something instead. Future you will thank me.

Well, I was thinking about doing a Twin Peaks kind of thriller with creatures lurking in the woods and many characters with their own stories and skills. Maybe the only thing that might be difficult might be some 'character evolution', different ways to defend yourself in a semi 'rock, paper and scissors' way and a nonretarded sideview combat system with the characters on the left side of the screen. I thought those things could be fixed easily with animations and small play with variables.

Don't know anything about current cay RPGM, only used it when I was 12 or some shit. One quick google search found me this though:
yanfly.moe/2016/06/10/yep-107-element-core-rpg-maker-mv/
You could just make different weapons/attacks have different elements and have guarding skills that give you resistance to one element for one turn.

That said, I'd advise you to do what said. RPGM way too much effort for what you get out of it, unless you're not changing anything in which case your game will just suck no matter what.

That sounds pretty cool.
That doesn't sound that cool.
From what I remember of using RPGM, that sounds doable, at least in some capacity. Probably with weapon attributes. Think Persona's physical attacks. There's three types, and certain enemies are weak/block/reflect certain types.

Well, what I had in mind with the defense system is having different defense modes for different attacks.

For example: if the enemy is going to shoot then you take cover, if the enemy is throwing a grenade or any throwing weapon you should run or take cover, if they are going to attack you in close range you should prepare to block or counter that attack.

Also, I was thinking on some sort of field 'research' to know what creatures are more vulnerable to something than others. For example: ghosts and undead are vulnerable to silver, fairies and pixies are vulnerable to iron, etc.

Also, to access some parts of the map you need the help of some particular characters, like getting a hacker to unlock some door, or a doctor to save someone who was just supposed to die in that spot, a chermist that would prevent the party to get burned or poisoned by chermical gasses. All to solve the different mysteries and crimes in a small rural town.

I'm giving up gamedev to become a lawyer
goodbye friends

Even lawyers have to have hobbies.

sounds boring tbh, while i'm doing the opposite, giving up accounting to become a game dev

Why would you need to "give up" gamedev? Were you previously making a living with games?

I used to support myself making indian-tier shovelware for various companies

Make games about lawyers.

Hey guys, ive been trying out UE4 for awhile now using random assets ive ripped to learn with. But id like to try my hand at making my own models.

Ive always heard about blender over the years but I hear it has its fair share of problems but that could be conjecture. Any advice? And how would I even go about bringing them into UE4?

I'm a no-dev and I want to make a walking simulator.

I have literally no experience with game making or programming (apart from python).
What should I do? I asked in another thread and an user said Unity and UE4 have out-of-the-box stuff for walking sims.

Not trying for anything groundbreaking, but just want 3D environments, enemies, allies, interacting objects and basic tool system.
Is it possible without learning a million things, or will I have to hunker down and learn?

in Unity you can download several 3D assets for free in the Unity store, i downloaded texture terrain and water texture and it looks pretty good, and to add terrain it's pretty simple as far as i know.

While the interacting with objects or enemies etc, you need to do some scripting, since you already have some experience with phyton, you probably won't have that much problem with C# (Unity use C# and javascript). And basic tool system is actually quite hard to script, you need to watch youtube videos as reference.

Unreal doesn't give any option to import asset? shouldn't it just a drag and drop? tbh i don't really know 3d stuff lol

*terrain texture, oh and also by default unity has some 3d assets on its own, just import the environment package or something like that, if you have it installed already go to Assets->Import Package

Neato, thanks.
Should be good for models, I can use Blender, just don't know a thing about actually using the models.

Depends what kind of "million" we're talking about.

The engines are very general purpose, you won't be getting premade inventory systems or anything like that as far as I'm aware, but all the basics are there like moving things and applying force and stuff, and what you need to do is tell the engine what to do with them.

There's tons of tutorials and videos about how to accomplish certain things. Just look up "unity first person tutorial" or something like that, and you'll get a bunch of walkthroughs for the whole process. In fact you might be able to make a walking simulator by following a tutorial and then putting in your own models afterwards.

There's less tutorials for UE4, but it's generally more powerful.

I'm interesting in being less of a retard. Seems like it'll help.

It does but when I tried to bring something simple I threw together from blender it wasn't working for some reason. Maybe I made a bad export.

you're welcome user and goodluck, importing 3d models should be pretty easy i think, not sure about the animating part though.

Here an example of an old environment i put together using some free assets, it's pretty good tbh

I decided I'll go with UE4.
Only because everyone gets a boner when they see games with a UE engine, but I only hear negatives about UE4.

I'll make a thread on /agdg/ if I ever make something playable.

how about some slow rotting effect? the blood on the ground disappears (albiet very slowly) and while I too like to pile up the corpses, this is supposed to be a 1-room wave-based skinner box thing. There will be too many at some point.

Löve would be cool if the community wasn't absolute fucking AIDS. Nobody will take anything you do with it seriously because the community is naming their libraries things like AnAL, HUMP, and LUBE.

I wish Polycode was more active. It's like Löve, except with it's own IDE, and able to use C++ and/or Lua. Not to mention it's for adults.

I get AnAL, HUMP and LUBE, but which Library is AIDS?
:^)

i heard that UE4 and Unreal is harder than general, and i think you need to pay like a quite sum amount of money to use it.

i think you better try free stuff first user, like unity and so on, honestly i don't think anyone except programmer cares that much about the engine your using, what important is the end product.

Huh? I may not use UE4, but I have it installed off the Epic launcher for free.

Muh appearances.
UE4 is 5% of each sale.

Doesn't matter as I wasn't going to sell it, just make it for myself and if it's decent, give it out here.

oh shit my bad then, i thought they still do that subscriptions stuff.

but still, no need to stress out about the engine that much lol, what important is finishing the game and showing it to people.

Anyone use Houdini? Got tired of Maya being a buggy crashing piece of shit and generally being straight out of the 90s, so decided to try something else. That said I never hear talking about Houdini as a competitor, so it makes me wonder, because so far it seems a lot more stable and complete than Maya (and the node-based graph is great).

Okay, I did go with Unity in the end.
Just going to go with the tutorials for now.

Anyone know why when creating a new 3D project in 5.5 it doesn't create a directional light?
I can't seem to add my own. I place the light, and it doesn't cast a shadow.

I only ever heard of people using Houdini for procedural model generation, while they use Maya for actual model creation/rigging/animation.

not sure what you mean but, if you wanna create the light, GameObject -> Light -> Directional light
if you can't see the light, go to the Transform component of the light, make the Z axis of the light like -1 or lower if you're on 2D, but if you're on 3D just drag it to the top of everything and rotate using the tools on the top left corner, the one below File Edit etc

this is the part where you're supposed to install blender and git gud

Problem is the light object isn't actually applying light to the scene. It just stays the same, everything is dark.

You need to specify here, are you using 2D or 3D? if 3D it's just a matter of wrong rotation, and you need to play around with it. There's no other way
If 2D, you need to create a material. change the shader into sprites -> diffuse, then apply it into sprites

I did mention it's in 3D.
The light is 100% shining down in the correct direction. I even tried dragging it around wildly to see if there was any change.

Only light in my project is the one cast by the camera.

oh sorry user, just kinda tired lol didn't see it.
just try to reset the Transform component by clicking the cog at the top right, and click reset.

if all else fails just reset the program and make a new project, i never really have any problem with the light.

And of course, by doing the thing I've already done, it decides to work.
Now I look silly.

Thanks, user.

Goal is to create something Hotline Miami-esque. Anyone have advice?
Also, how the hell does UV unwrapping work and why is it so much harder than rigging? I just want to texture, damn it.

Make it more "tactical" instead of the soapbar in the shower effect. One shot one kill + hyper aware enemies.

Could you elaborate?

Lean around corner, iron sight aiming and make the movement slower. The enemies should be aware of each other and try to hunt you in a smart manner instead of throwing themselves at you while you slide around them like it's some old Doom like FPS (Providing covering fire or throwing a grenade if you're in a dead end that way you can't camp). Some should have protection like an helmet and a plate carrier to stop your bullets to make the whole thing harder. Also concealment != cover.

Thanks for the advice but a tactical shooter is not really the goal.

first person hotline miami seems pretty cool I hope it turns out well

I was thinking it might be more fun if you one shot enemies and enemies one shot you
I think you would have to make the weapons projectile based though could be very dodging around projectiles and meleeing enemies in the face

Song source?

The enemies do get one shotted. The idea is sort of that in a way the enemies are a projectile rushing at you. Currently I am still adjusting health values and such to balance it properly but having one hit kill on the player sucked so it became two hit kill. After that I will replace default HL2 assets with custom assets.

Gessaffelstein: OPR. This is temporary music until me and my friend finish up level design and gameplay. After that we will replace all of the copyrighted music with our own.

Still working on making true first person for my game. This shit must feel smoother than a baby's ass.

Haven't tried, but heres my first instinct: first, fill the image with the fog color. Then, draw the world and in the fragment shader do fog as usual (blend between fragment color and fog color) but perturb either the depth value or fog color by a value achieved as follows: unproject the fragment to get it's world position, then use that position to sample from 3d perlin noise (or similar). This would (I think) result in more noisy fog that still lingers in the air like it should. If you want the fog to drift you could add a uniform offset that changes over time in a suitable way.

Rate my 8-bit shittune

my.mixtape.moe/kxbxkd.mp3

lead square wave is pretty "sharp", if that makes sense. it kind of grates on the ears. also the song ends pretty abruptly, as in, it doesn't feel like it's leading up to a conclusion.

Not much to rate. It doesn't have much character unfortunately, it seems to go up and down but it doesn't have much identity.

To balance out the criticism, I gotta say though that it's just about average. It's not shit, though, if I heard it in a game I wouldn't blink an eye.

My pal still hasn't completed the inventory

I'm not sure he will deliver

Gunna make a random monster name generator. The excel spreadsheet already makes names such as

So, recently i've been thinking about making a Shopowner RPG, only, you're not an adventurer and you won't fight either, you're just a normal shop owner, it's all about buying/selling and creating/crafting items and slowly expanding your shop, level your crafting skills, learn new abilities and jobs, and many other things related to a shop, and make it super comfy like animal crossing, you don't just click on shit like in most shop or mobile games, but run around in the map.
The thing that i dislike the most about other shop games is that you only manage it indirectly and get shit over time automatically, but i want the player to be both crafting and managing to the point of even deciding the selling price on your own instead of fixed prices. Though your assistant will be the one standing at the counter, would be kind of retarded to stand in a shop all day and wait for NPCs.

For example, you start the day by visiting your local ore and metal seller, buy some iron, go to some other shop to buy leather, and then go back to your shop, smith some swords and place them somewhere in your shop to sell. Then you call it a day, go sleep, and your assistant gives a report on what and how much you sold that day. So a basic day/sleep system. You can be a smith, or runecrafter, or enchanter, or alchemist, whatever job exists in a fantasy RPG, You could even be crafting nothing and just buy cheap shit and sell it more expensive in your own shop, you can make a shop that sells miscellaneous items or a shop that is specialized, sell, buy and craft everything you want, it's all up to you.
The entire game takes place in just a village/town though.

It's just an idea so far, but do you think it would be enjoyable or "fun" enough to play?

seems like it could get repetitive pretty quick, unless you add a lot of content.
it's one of those cases where the concept doesn't sound great, but the game itself can actually be some fun. Think Cooking Mama and Animal Crossing.

DID SOMEONE SAY INVENTORY
here, have some bloated garbage
it has documentation and everything
package - drive.google.com/open?id=0B1laio2k4HufWnZzREVhMDdPdE0
demo project - drive.google.com/open?id=0B1laio2k4HufMHZiNzd0VUx2X3M

inventory is a bit of a challenge to do correctly… speaking from experience that is.
As it involves UI design, maintaining a database (for persistence)/serialization, and creating something that will handle templates/generics nicely; otherwise it ends up being a bloated static mess.

hence why i wouldn't recommend using what i just posted, although it's still good for a reference, even if it's all spaghetti code

oh wait, that's the shitty version with cubes, here's the full version with the human
drive.google.com/open?id=0B1laio2k4HufZm9fYThwdGpZNDQ

I have an inventory in my main project but I'm pretty sure he can do it better. He is an actual programmer after all.

And he doesn't want inventory tetris…

Thamls. bro. Will check out.
I think I remember you from way back when

Anyone know how to implement Simplex Noise? Apparently its faster than Perlin at higher complexities (I need 4D apparently)

shameful

That's the plan. Finding a good balance between repetitive, comfy, enough available content and shit to unlock/discover.

not sure if this is what you intended to make, but it might be comfy as a game where things change in real time. something where you can check in periodically rather than spending hours at a time. but it's up to you, mate.

fuck me, have to butcher the model a bit now

So for example instead of having a sleep/day system, that time goes on ingame and stuff sells in your shop sells at real time, while you're doing something else, and you check up how your shop is doing in between instead of fixed time periods?

I need advice

I am a programmer with no art skills, but I like the low-poly 3d style. Will I be able to make low poly models and textures since I don't have skills, or is this one of those things that you need to be really good at modeling in general before you can do "minimalist" stuff. I'm not talking about hipster low poly, I mean like ps1 era 3d.

basically, yeah. it'd be a very different game, but it could be comfy in it's own way. could also work as a casual mobile thing, if you wanna consider that as a potential market.
again, just an idea. i dunno if it'd be better or worse for it.

You could probably get away with making the bullets 5 sides instead of 6. That would save you a couple of tris.

You could also implement a system where the player has to pay money to speed up the time it takes to sell his inventory.

Definitely agreed, it's better to learn from the lessons of others.

forgot to mention… editor tools are a must for an inventory.
Scriptable objects are worth looking into too, and are essentially data container assets that don't need to be attached to a GO.

yeah, I'll copy paste u some learning resources.
lmk if u have questions after u read it…

Also, I think nokia has a patent on simplex noise for 3D+, but I'm not sure what "applications" they have patented (as u can only patent applications of a math formula).

why?
Changing it over time, I presume?
You can emulate this with lower dimensional noise (which # of dimensions depends on the application), which slowly changes the coordinates used as inputs for the noise (such as, multiplying input coors by time), and emulates the effect of 4D noise; i.e. moving over time.

Learn perlin noise first, implement 2D noise, keep reading until you understand it, and make your code as simple as possible.
The reason being it's better documented, thus has more learning material, and is easier for beginners; in addition to the premise of the algorithm's steps being the same as simplex noise (w/slight variations).
Get results, write it to console, and then to a texture; test inputs, and figure out why shit changes if you enter in different inputs.
Then, for simplex noise repeat the above.

Original perlin noise implementation:
mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/noise/

Best article to understanding perlin noise (gradient/value noise):

Honorable mention for a general noise learning resource, from a fellow user:
ninjapretzel.github.io/ProcGen/01coherence.html

Simplex noise learning resource:
staffwww.itn.liu.se/~stegu/simplexnoise/simplexnoise.pdf

Additional perlin noise learning resources:
web.archive.org/web/20150607183420/http://webstaff.itn.liu.se/~stegu/TNM022-2005/perlinnoiselinks/perlin-noise-math-faq.html
flafla2.github.io/2014/08/09/perlinnoise.html

It's not as skillful as making something really high poly and complicated, but you still need a decent understanding of how to make silhouette; what needs to be modeled and what you can deceive with textures. You're also going to need pretty good artistic skills if you want to make a convincing model that will rely mostly on texture work.

I guess i'll have to make a prototype and see how it feels/plays.
If i finish, i will release it for pc first, but i guess you're right that such a game might sell better on handhelds or mobile, so i'll look that up in the future.

Kek. I refuse to be part of the DLC and Microtransaction cancer. Single price for a full game.

that would make the rounds look awfully pointy, the trigger guard had some details that i cut without losing a lot that couldn't be faked with textures or covered up by hands. its 1040 tris now, good enough.
might fuck about with it some other day to get it proper >1k

Correct. I want to create roving blobs of animated fog for a top down tile rpg to give my game some juice. 2D perlin would probably be completely sufficient for my case (and just interpolate between a few precomp seeded textures or whatever)

Google seemed to imply 4D simplex was more robust and there is indeed a patent for it, it seems. If i do implement a noise function, i would like to generalize it and abstract it into engine code rather than one off

Particles would probably be better if u just want to have blobs; which are animated by noise.
Such as, compute a gradient direction for your noise (direction/rate of change in noise, which is a vector), and use this to animate the paths of particles every X frames; which you could also utilize wind between said X frames to spice things up.

For highly detailed fog I'd probably utilize noise, a 3Dtexture, and compute shaders.
Probably something like they did for assassin's creed:
bartwronski.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/ac4_gdc.pdf

Well that's what I was going to do, in a sense; my particle implementation would be little more than positions and a controller, so it would be simple to have an animated texture going off.

What's the point of packing your game files?
Faster read times on HDDs?

so those greedy kids at baitchan don't steal your files.

Not really a valid reason for me.
I don't really know how different file systems work, but if they don't care about folder structure when writing stuff on the disk the files could end up all over the place, which would effectively be the same as file fragmentation right?

Have you heard of pick related? It's remarkably similar to what you're describing.

Not really. Read his post more closely.

Codev I haven't actually done anything on this project yet beyond ideaguying and aesthetic advice but I'll be doing the programming when my schedule isn't puckered so tight here.
What the hell, man

I refined the pistol. It has 3,119,616 tris. Needless to say I'm just using it to bake the normal map and a lower poly version 830 Verts and 1,544 tris is what's actually going to be in the game.

I also modeled a 9x19mm cartridge.

Accidentally posted the orthographic view of the pistol in the first image.

got any good tutorials for that?

I'm doing my lawyer practice while I'm working as a Janitor and also I'm back to studying music and drawing.

Fuck you, man up and keep developing.

As my first small-medium size project this is one hell of a learning experience.

katsbits.com/tutorials/blender/bake-normal-maps.php

Oh thanks for the info, i looked into it and though it's similar to a degree, the core gameplay is different. I don't plan on making the player fight monsters and while you manage the shop and decide what's to sell and for how much, it's the assistent who is at the counter dealing with costumers, not yourself.

Where's the picture from?

What the fuck are you doing son? Not even a high to low needs that many.

Subdivision surface modifier can do amazing things to your poly-count.

I hope you're not implying that higher poly count means it's better. I think you're making things more difficult for yourself.

Of course not. I had the subdivisions set to 5 when really it only needs to be set to 2-3. Setting it to 2 gives me ~49,000 tris and it looks almost exactly the same.

When baking maps from highpoly to lowpoly, it doesn't matter if you have 50k or 10 million tris, as long as your highpoly looks the way you want it to look. If 3 million gives him the detail he needs and wants, that's fine.
Your lowpoly/ingame model is the only thing where the tri number counts.

Afraid of Monsters. I didn't have access to my usual images because my laptop is probably kill right now. It just happened to be appropriate.

I was in similar situation, I just got slightly better in Blender with box modelling (can't be bothered with high poly first, then baking normals) and exporting objs for ue4.

For animated meshes I got someone here to help me, I'm also using off-shelf base meshes that can be modified. Plus you can animate mechanically within Blueprints as well.

I stay away from most Marketplace assets as they are too high poly, however I do like to grab textures and downscale them to match my PSP era game with modern lighting.

Fucking

I think I got an interesting idea for a small project I can work on and recycle some of the stuff I've been writing.

Anybody got any suggestions for business management games? Or maybe building management games?

Need to see how they work better before I jump straight into it

you're doing something bad with your subsurf mod., it looks like a glock19 shaped bar of soap that someone left into the bath for too long right now.
the edges most of the time should have a fairly similar radius and not increase in radius the closer you get to the end of the edge (like you have happening on the front of the slide). the slide top side edges look awfully sharp as well

Alright so for my tile RPG, I still haven't decided whether it's one player or party based, but I do want to have a point-buy skill system. However, I don't think that I want levels, just earned XP and point costs.

One idea I had was that your experience earned isn't awarded instantly, but accumulates in a pool as you do quests, kill monsters, etc. When you rest, you get an amount of this converted to actual experience. That way it encourages downtime, passage of time (important for roleplay heavy elements) and prevents grinding/power spiking.

Mechanically, there could be a skill called Wisdom or something, which increases XP gain or conversion speed. Thoughts?

remember the law of momentum user, it's always the hardest at the start

how will you know when to increase the point cost if you dont have levels then? but interesting idea tbh

No I mean, you'd have ranks in the skill but you wouldn't have an overall character or combat level, eg:

oh sorry i read it wrong, so point cost will convert earned XP into skills

level is a pretty useful modifier to change enemy stats, loot randomizer and so on though

Yeah I see what you mean. I was kinda shit at modeling the front of the gun, using tris when I should have been using quads. The sharpness comes from me trying to work with creases when I should have been using more bevels or made better use of the edge split modifier. For now I'll have to fix it when I do the texturing because I kind of applied the subsurf modifier without saving a non-applied copy and it would take me forever to redo everything.oops

I want to avoid a hard displayed level if I can help it, since it quickly turns into a minmax numbers game. I mean it's fine if players want to play it that way, but throwing away all sorts of playstyles because the glowing DPS number isn't big enough was always kind of silly…

I'm still writing down vague ideas as I work on the actual engine, rather than the gameplay

Tavern user here, sorry forgot to post progress yesterday

I had fun learning Archimesh and found out some other useful blender add-ons like Sapling, making the assets for my game will be easier than expected thanks to it

Check out Game Dev Tycoon. They really managed to simplify the UX and gameplay to a Business Management Sim as well as pushing the core elements that make such games fun to the forefront. A great old-school example worth checking out is Aerobiz for the SNES. If you can't/don't want to play it yourself, check out one of grimithr's playthroughs on yt.

i get what you're trying to say user, and it's especially bad at an mmo game
but have you try playing Odin Sphere? the game has the exact system like what you just said, kill monster to gain point, and spent said points into skill. The game has level system too but it's barely a useful indicator, since the stats increase automatically.

But i think people who plays RPG are always inclined to make their character as strong as possible, out of habit i guess, so if you want people to experiment rather than sticking one playstyle, you need to do a good job in balancing skills effectiveness, like in the Witcher 3 where you can focus Geralt on either Magic, Power, or Alchemy,

The combination of the camera and player movement is too fast imo, I don't mean turn it into insurgency but make it slightly slower.

I was mostly thinking about transposing hotline miami's 2d window stuff and death can come from anywhere into a 3d environment.

I'm going to make a videogame, what are you going to do about it

I will but a 80% dax on id :—DDD
t. happy merchant

Here's the spurdo you need user.

c++ user who didn't know how to use use classes properly last thread. Finally got it down:

#include "stdafx.h"
#include

class VolOfPrsm
{
public:
int Calculate(int l, int w, int h) {
int V = (l*w*h);

return V;
}
};

int main()
{
std::cout > length >> width >> height;

VolOfPrsm VO;
int Volume = VO.Calculate(length, width, height);
std::cout

I tried fucking around in Unreal 4 for the first time and it bothers me that you can't just learn what you want. You have to purposely follow the tutorials given, you can't just improvise and learn on your own like with Photoshop.
I did basic shit like placing props, materials and make terrain. Then I wanted to just load up the basic mannequin guy into another map or load another map into the third person template, but that was a giant pain in the ass that ended in a BSOD for absolutely no reason.

oy vey.

Is there any tutorial on Blender how to render a proper looping fire effect? I tried the trick by using the first and last frame, combining both those frames at normal 50% opacity but that doesn't really work out nice for fire effects which are a bit more turbulent. I tried even searching at ZOGTube or a search engine for that but they gave me garbage result.

pretty sure the problem is in the sprite itself, i dont think the sprite is designed to be loopable, and the speed is way off, flame movement isn't that fast

sorry meant for

(checked)
So I have to fiddle constantly with the fire effect so that it doesn't look too turbulent? Oh man is this going to take ages.

Here, is this better? I think this fits your vision quite well.

I like the faster version better

Are there any games that switch the color pallet on the fly via shading?

Thanks to everyone who offered criticism to my music attempts before.

Here's a beginning of a new chiptune. How can I improve it?
my.mixtape.moe/xwfdhj.mp3

i'd say it's pretty tolerable. nothing too spectacular. there's a science to making catchy music that i never understood, but embed related might help you out.
anyway, i'm bad with music terms, but you know the main melody, right? right now, it's the same melody, just in a different key. you might want to switch it up slightly when the key changes (around four seconds in). Think of how Bob-Omb Battlefield does it.
Also, consider adding a B-part to the song, because if it was to loop now, it'd be boring as hell.

Thank you, I haven't seen that video but that whole channel seems like it will be very useful.

How do you know which key to change to?

Say I'm in C Major for my main song, and I'm doing 1-3-5 chords or whatever, should the shifted melody be on the root note of whatever those chords happen to be? Eg, don't do C# minor randomly

well, Hitler, yes, you should change the key to whatever progression you're following. I-IV-V is a common progression, and that progression with the A major scale would be A-D-E. As for melody, you typically should try to stay in the key you're on, but not every note has to be on it per se. It'll give your song a different feel depending on how you do it.

Just stick to the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes of whatever chord you're currently playing. Use octaves for variety. This is basically what the lead guitarist for Pink Floyd did. If you don't know music, this is probably the fastest trick to making decent sounding music.

Actually I'm a different user. I used to compose a little bit like 5 years ago but stopped after I accidentally nuked my saved files.

i was referring to your dubs, mate.
that reminds me. i recently went back and listened to my old project files from five years ago. shit sounds disgusting nowadays.

I didn't say slow it down completely I said take it down a notch.

Oh sorry, I had completely misunderstood. How is this?

I was thinking of how a 2.5D shooter could work in the age of Gears of War, etc. What if you made all the sprites either hand-drawn (Earthworm Jim) or Claymation (Neverhood)? This would give your limitations a clear purpose.

Then isn't it just a trading/mining system? How would this differ from being in the adventurer role?

Much better.

you should be able to do it either with having a copy of the particle emitter emit in reverse dir (ex. frames 0 to 30 and second -31 to -1)

I need serious help with my proportions. I've been working on this shit for a long time now and I can't see what the fuck is wrong.

Can someone point it out to me? Even better, just draw on the picture in Paint or something, and show me what's so off.

It kills me that I've suggested correct form pretty much everywhere but the proportions elude me.

Look at Makehuman program for inspiration.

Maybe the hips are too high? Dunno. Try finding a picture of a naked human in a similar pose and overlaying it to your image, to see how things line up.

I tried but I've yet to find one that's not fucking weird or wrong.

Using the dick as a general guide, how much lower should I have the hips?

His nose tip is curved upwards, so he has a pig nose
Slight underbite
Ears are a few centimeters too high and should stand out slightly less

No idea what is wrong with his body, but this is far less bad than you think it is

I mean the point on the midsection, the "indentation" on the body between the ribs and the hips might be too high. Could be wrong though, don't know a whole lot about proper proportions. Looks right for the most part though, might just seem off cuz I'm looking for something to be wrong.

Thank you! This is my first attempt at making the human body and it spanned about a month now - I'm very new to Blender. Having it be a success at least on some level does mean a lot to me.

I'm gonna try and bring it down. Wish I had friends to point at the screen and tell me what's off. :(

Arms are a little to thin and long.
Waist is a little to narrow
ears stick out to much
and there is something of about that last pic but i can't quite put my finger on it
It's kinda like the angle of neck suggests he is tilting his head forwards but his face vertical
Overall it's pretty good though I've certainly seen a lot worse in these threads

We'll make it there, together.

If your streamed it, maybe we could help more?

looks really lanky, and having a small head; although this isn't completely abnormal.
Provided is a shitty gimp workup of what I mean

Thanks, user!

Too self-conscious to stream my work.

Thank you very much, user. This is incredibly helpful.

I'm working on an RTS game of sorts, These are the unit classes you control. Do they make sense in a medieval setting? The thought was to need to use your units right to win battles and not just mindlessly drown your enemies in cheap units.

Ignore special as I left the NPC combat out of this

I've applied the changes you guys suggested. Mind giving me another pass of criticism?

Not an expert, but weren't cavalry used to route archers more than regular infantry?

The part where the arms connect to the shoulders looks a little weird especially from the back
Arms are still a little thin but reasonable
waist is to thin this is a man you're modeling here user not a woman

Weird how?

like it's paper being folded in a weird way
maybe it's just the lighting or something
but maybe it's too thin
Like the connection of the shoulder to arm should be the same size as the arm itself
The same goes for the connection shoulder to torso.

So maybe Ranged and Melee instead, and ranged dealing extra damage against siege?

perfect

super mario

Here's one last update. How'd I do?

But user, where's the bulk?

A man surviving in the wilderness wouldn't have bulk

I don't know what 3D program you are using you could always try placing a picture of some art model in the background to use as a reference for the proportions.

But who wants to play as someone who is "as thin as a rake"?

That should be the end goal, not the starting point.

The wilderness is surviving him

duly noted. New version

To be honest your work so far isn't saying a lot about your end product. It's way more important how your highpoly model looks than your lowpoly model. Once you bake your highpoly normals on your current model, all that is left of the lowpoly is practically the silhouette, because the surface will fake volume and shadows through a normalmap.
So when it comes to your lowpoly, what you have to consider the most is that the silhouette isn't too pointy, that it is proportionally similar to your highpoly, that your topology is clean and that your joints will correctly move in animation.

hell yea

My work so far is basically trying to wing fucking everything. I'm not an artist - this model is me building up to the finished thing from the ground.

I'm figuring everything out as I go along, but right now - I have no fucking idea what the hell anything is, I'm incredibly new to modeling.

I want to make a H-Game that's a business/life simulator designed in a similar vein to Princess Trainer, Breeding Season, etc. What language/engine would be the simplest and least shit to work with for this purpose?

game maker studio is usually your best bet for "simplest".
pic unrelated.

Wow this took me fucking 5 days to sort out in total, maybe more. Fuck. The logic was simple, but it was ease of use and templating that killed me, I kept flipflopping, but now it's wherE I want it to be.

Now I have 6 different things to work on next:

can't sleep, so made another one of these.
if i keep wasting my nights making assets like this, the city might actually end up looking pretty interesting and varied.

Going through this shit now. A few quick questions.

When I see pic related, this is basically doing the entire noise process several times, with different inputs, so as to create variation, yes? Basically I don't need to do it more than once, but any extra times makes it look better? Also, is this image 1D noise for illustration purposes? I can't really visualize it in 2D

Animated noise textures seems to be the result of just making a bunch of noise passes and then interpolating them, is this correct?

Every time I think about implementing it, I want to just interpolate between the 4 corners and call it a day. How important is the dot product to final image, and how does it differ from the smoothing function?

Is it possible to edit a bunch of things in godot at the same time? I need to replace alot of "x.y" with "x.z"

And before you ask, yes, I'm shit at programming

use an external editor like sublime text, you can press CTRL + H and the option to replace all will pop up.
I'm not sure about Godot, but there's an option to use external editor in unity, because the native editor is shit too.

Wew, I could just drag the .gd into sublime. Thanks.

user have you looked at the proportion of male body in The Sim 4? it looks pretty retarded and nobody looked twice. Yours is already good enough user, looking great actually if its really your first work in Blender

You can also install package that will help you with shit like autocompletion, class suggestion and so on to make it really good, too bad the the creator is one of the worst jew i ever seen and you will be getting so many pop up that offers you to buy the full version.

correct'ah'mundo.
This is called "fractal noise", or a "fractal function", as you're adding layers (octaves) of self-repeating details (noise) to create more complex outputs (density/scalar field).

quite right.

Correct, you don't need to do it once to make it look nice, but, adding octaves of noise together can have really interesting effects; in addition to creating things that weren't possible with a single octave.

seems so

Think of it as a 2D grid of lines (XY grid), where each intersection between two lines is a grid point. This grid point's position is the "input" to the noise, and these positions are altered in a similar fashion as the 1D line.
See picture attached for an example, where each grid point results in a gradient (how one gets the gradient via coordinates depends on one's approach, but, in essence the coors are used as the "proto" noise inputs), and is essentially used to evaluate the density.
Also, look at the bottom of the first link provided in this post, and you can try an interactive 2D noise demo.
Same with 3D for visualizing this, but instead of just a set of XY grid points, u have a set of XYZ grid points.

Well, my experience for animated noise textures is based off applying edits to say the colors of fragments via noise using a time variable.
Not sure about static noise texture, and interpolating between those; although I'd imagine this being possible.

Best to look at link provided for a visual/interactive demo -as my description would be long winded in comparison-… scroll down a bit, and go to the second set of fade/gradient images.
Play with each of those demos, read the description about what each does, and why.
This is the best guide btw

For learning about animating textures, I'd recommend part 3 of this series:
ninjapretzel.github.io/ProcGen/

correction, polite sage

This is just some random noise, but here's the sort of effect I wanted to make, using perlin to make it look not so shit.

>Done in software because I can't be fucked to figure out shaders

So the way I'm approaching this, this is 4 gradient vectors, and for any point between them, I do some kind of interpolation/smoothing function to get the [0..1] value for that point.

Now are those points necessarily random? I was thinking of it like each box is a "cell", and each cell has a resolution, like 16x16 that I'd calculate. Or rather, I'd take like an 8x8 grid of gradient values, and determine a grid of 256x256 output heights.

What's an actual good 3D engine that works. I'm fucking burnt out on meme engines that have little to no documentation or tutorials whatsoever.

Anyone else here who thinks he should just make a porn game? The game i am working on is getting nowhere and chinks are oversaturating the steam and mobile market to oblivion too. My 3D skills are at least the same level as pick related who makes 10 times more money than i do in a month right now. The reason i started 3D was cute animus to begin with.

jesus fucking christ, i should really become a 3d porn artist

you can try something like Irrlich Engine, but you'll have to do everything yourself, possibly build your own tools

They're not random, correct, it's a cell in your grid.
x0,y0 would be something like (0,0), and x0,y1 would be (0,1)… of course depending on your grid size (in this case size 1); for say a point at position (.43,.33).

correct, perlin noise is a variant of noise denoted as "gradient lattice" noise; thus a box/square in 2D (4 points).

correct

yup, but generally it's a range between [-1 to 1].

that's an acceptable approach, yes, and especially for textures.

UE has sub-par docs, and ok tutorials.
Unity has good docs (frequently updated), and too many tutorials to count.

Both work well, are frequently updated engines, and have extensive capabilities; it's really a matter of which language you prefer, in addition to your stance on each of their EULAs/profit sharing.

Clarification… those points are initially just positions…
You must convert them to gradients. like using a perm table w/pre-calculated grad values, hashing to a gradient, or something along those lines.

I'd love to, not even for the money necessarily but because I like porn. But I'm shit at art and can't afford enough time to work together with someone else, so that's not an option.

are ragdolls worth putting in a game if they tend to behave weird and occasionally fuck up performance?

well kek says ragdolls, but the more stable framerate and no crazy shit happening is definitely swaying me

Papiesz kremofka

For raking der ewiger LEAFS of course.

LOL

I recognize that music.

Finally off, finally free. At least for 4 days. I'm working on bunch of entities and way better editor, I'm sure you'll be pleased, but in the meantime I want to show you this little thing.

I never thought I'd have much, if any, video options in my game besides the resolution, but I came up with a way of simplifying level drawing for speed boost. I want to have bunch of scrolling layers, but if your PC is too slow for that you can just switch to single color background. It's nice, not just because you don't need to draw any real graphics, but because you don't need to check transparency for the tiles. Tiles that have some transparency are being drawn like normal "full" tiles with the transparency color being the background color. I can have many gradients of colors changing depending on the player position or just change it with a trigger / command. You have to excuse my horrible color picks, I'm a coder for a reason.

I plan on having at least one fully playable level in may. I'm telling you that, so you can bully me if I won't. That should motivate me a bit more.

reminds me of C64 demos and piracy boot screens. I'm sure that's what you were going for, though.

If you just want to hack togethet a first or third person shooter you cannot go wrong with Source. For making levels it has by far the best workflow with its Carmack-style BSP architecture. Also you can use generic hl2 assets until you have your own at which point there is a very handy "replace texture" button which can replace all the generic shit with your own.
The issues with it though are thus: It's not the prettiest anymore, learning Hammer is an absolute bitch because of the Carmack BSP, you'll have to deal with the shitty nineties UI for all editing programs, strange and esoteric proprietary filetypes like .mdl and .vtf, and if you do something wrong prepare for hour long map render times. However it runs like smooth butter, as soon as you DO learn it it develops like a breeze, and you WILL learn it because it is quite possibly the most well documented engine aside Doom at this time.

Of course

Added skills

itch.io/jam/1-room-rpg-jam 5 days to go

I lost contact with the inventory bro

if you want to get it done fast, you can just make skyrim-like inventory, instead of a slot inventory

I made a nice thing that shows what building ur making is gonna look like and if it can be placed and which wall segments are causing the issue

neat. rts?

yep

Both of these are looking nice. Though I might just be a sucker for lighting.

Regarding your LOS again, are you doing a raycast to each corner of objects? How are you doing the edges of the circle, is it just a large texture, or is it polygon based?

Trying to think of how to do something similar for my engine, if needed

no theres no raycasting except for specific circumstance it's kinda hard to explain
It's just a texture
I can post the code if you want to

Don't worry about it, I dislike the texture method because it's "inaccurate" to me, so I won't use that approach.

how is it inaccurate if anything it's more accurate than the polygon method since you would an infinite amount of points to approximate a circle with a polygon ofcourse you have limited amount of pixels so it's possible
I don't see what's accurate about it unless the circle you have to draw is bigger than your texture it will always be perfectly accurate and there's no problems with making the texture very large.

Hmm so I should add another fire emitter and then playback that fire emitter in reverse frame, how do I make this? I know I can set in blender that it allows for negative frame but I dunno about the playback part.

Okay, hopefully my last question about noises. You've been very helpful so far, thank you.

When I'm dealing with different dimensions of noises, what sort of shape should my data be in? I get that 2D noise needs 4 corners and 3D noise needs 8 corners, so that implies square/cubic shape. What would happen if I did an XY grid with Vector3 fields, instead? This seems incorrect to me.

What will my output look like with 3D? It feels like after I take the dot product, I'll end up with a 2D field of floats regardless of what I do.

Also, do you know how to generate random points that fit a normal/gaussian distribution? While not perlin noise, I think it would be nice to have a few different noise/smoothing functions handy.

Textures are of a finite size and limited to graphics hardware, but using polygons is more mathematical, thus scaleable and independent of language/engine.

Your method works fine for your game, but it's inappropriate for me.

So basically a list, ye? If my friend doesn't deliver, this could actually be a good placeholder.

Thanks, bro. It's kinda sad how games I make within a week look better than my main project tho…

Anyway, my friends told me to make the game faster. So, how does this look? It's not quite Diablo1-like with this speed anymore.

CHECKED

All checked too.

I think it looks just fine. D1 was always a slower more roguelike game than future ARPGs, despite defining the genre.

I like how your enemies explode into pools of blood (I see some kind of reflection mapping?) and how their weapons are collideable on the ground. Nice little touches.

Are your lights simply fading between two colors? The fire looks like it goes from yellow to brown, but when the fireballs are near your light radius, it looks a little more complex.

Thanks for the appreciation. Regarding the speed, I'll try to either tweak it or give an option to players to modify it to their liking. I do like the slow gameplay more but the speedy one feels fun as well.

The blood pools are something I am quite happy with, although maybe people will tell me it's done ass-backwards. Each droplet modifies the alpha map of the terrain, adding a blood texture to it. Unity doesn't have sensible free decals so it was the best way to make it look good It wouldn't work in a full 3D game like an FPS though.
Vid related, this is how it looks in editor. At the end I increased the speed to show how blood fades over time.

The brownish colour in the video might be caused by empeg compression. The lights are simple point lights with a single colour, nothing fancy. I believe the normal mapping on the ground texture makes a great difference quality-wise.

I hope the dubs will bring me good luck

am i a rich indie fag yet

sample packs: not even once

not enough transgender muslim midgets, mate. or wheelchairs

not linear enough, and it needs more 15-minute monologues

itch.io/jam/resistjam

(checked)
i'm going to whip up something in game maker and submit it.

(checked)
Bunch of niggers that's what they are.

(Checked)

If you want an example of what NOT to do in terms of speed, check out the first 10-12 hours of Titan Quest. It's not exactly Diablo, true, but for all that is holy, that shit is PAINFUL slow. It gets CURAYZEE later, but thinking about the beginning hurts me deeply.

Would a holocaust-themed OpenRCT2 mod be a good submission?

Okay I've got it

It's ResistJam, you are a piece of bread trying to resist jam being spread on you against you will

And you cry GRAPE all the time

(checked)
Make a pixel art indie game where you play as the powerful necromancer Hillary, walking through the graveyards of America and resurrecting dead people, that didn't have a chance to be reincarnated during the voting, to fight for equal rights and combat the frozen peach movement and the literal Hitlers.
Shut down the power plants to prevent Electric Pence from appearing and raid ICE camps to free Americans who have been falsely imprisoned.
:^)

come on guys, you gotta be more subtle than this.
make something that they would actually "enjoy", and drop subtle references.

Maybe an africa kangz woke simulator? Gotta get dem wourds out there and shieet and then woke up all da negroes out there that keep gettin' oppressed and then gibe dem de effect of after woke af effect.

that COULD work, but i'm not sure if it entirely fits the theme. it's more about resisting Trump than empowering niggers.

i actually have an idea in the works. a very "narrative driven experience", just like they'd love it, filled with shitty, undertale tier sprite work about a "trans woman" and her non-binary friend, both "undocumented immigrants", who decide to stand up to the literal nazis in the government and stage a "no person is illegal" protest.
deportations ensue.
just gotta add subtle jokes in there. shit like "literally shaking" and some baneposting for good measure.

You play as Johnixy, a muslim indian-black demipolysexual furdragonkin pederast (pronouns: da, doo, din), with one goal: escape the horrible oppressed country of United States Of Trump (a la an escape the room game).
etcetc

get on it, mate. you got two weeks.

Make it like Papers Please, but the roles are reversed

You're not a San Fran indie faggot, stop thinking like one and think like a gamedev.

shieet nigga you just dunt understand this is very impurtant spreading the words 'bout it maayne don't you know that melanin is a very powerful thing I am very shure it will fit with this resitjam theme it's after all about resisting dem evil h'whyte crackas and freeing dem slaves and shieet nigga.

Should we actually put the game link in the next OP?

This.

And idea like is going in the right direction. It's a game about falsifying documents to enter a country illegally.

Call it "The Hole in The Wall"

You play a mexican.

nigger, this is THEIR gamejam. you gotta think like them to stand a chance. these cuckolds won't give a fuck about gameplay whatsoever, and that will never be the focus of their gamejam. they only care about politics.

i stand corrected. they were most definitely kangs. you also gotta bring up the "muslim ban" and BLM.

You run past a livestreamed camera on the wall as a checkpoint, with Not Shia LeBeouf cheering you on

Falsifying documents for others?
When you do a good job you get rich and can upgrade and survive easily, but get news reports about the country going to shit. When you only let through people that actually are decent and are fleeing some bad shit, you can just barely make it and newspapers reports slowly go from deportations and shit to the country becoming amazing.

That way the somewhat shitlordy opinion is first of all hidden behind intentionally "bad" play, and since it's not getting rid of all illegal immigration they can't really complain. It's not quite as Holla Forums tier as I'd like it myself, but it'd keep you from being kicked out of the jam.

RPG in one room ? Sounds weird. Usually RPGs have a big open world. I can't see it working out. This looks like some bullshit made just for jerking off to the thought of being a game dev. But I don't know.

You still need mechanics for a game, even if said mechanics are stupid as fuck and wouldn't support a full-length game. The idea is to trigger the fuck out of these faggots and the best way of doing that is triggering them from a unified aesthetic, philosophical, and mechanical attack on their beliefs. The Papers Please-like game several anons are discussing right now could be a great example of this if it actually goes anywhere.

could you get around that by doing a Silent Hill 4-esque system of leaving the room through some method and coming back to it?

i think they may have had something like Hello? Hell…o? in mind.

You could be one of those meme "4D" faggots that just transform the room instead of "leaving" it. See: Fez, to some degree.

but user, games aren't about the mechanics, they're about the experience :^)
721ca6 got it right, if you make too interesting of mechanics then you lose the lowest common denominator votes (which might be a fair amount in a commie gamejam)

What did he mean by this?

guy i responded to deleted his post.

Well the basic setup for input data should always be a type of grid (vectors); be it lattice, cellular, or derivative noise.
Output data should be a float (in range of [-1 to 1]), and you can augment this anyway you like (one example below).
Storing this depends on what you usage is, and change from implementation to implementation (f.e. texture for a heightmap, dictionary for sparsely build 3D densities, or just generate everything on the fly (possible w/the GPU)).

Indeed.

So, like having a 2D grid of noise coordinates, but, you want 3D inputs.
Depends really on what you're going for (in terms of said output field format).
For a heightmap, or terrain; you'd generally do something like:
Vector3 myInputCoors = ....;float height = my2DNoiseFunc (myInputCoors.xz, seed); height += myInputCoors.y;

Thus you have 3D "height" or "density" sensitive outputs from 2D noise; using the third component not used in your noise to augment the final output of noise via your input coor's height, and can thus write to a 3D field of density values (how "filled" it will be with data, depends on the step size of your grid).

Ah, yeah that's a pretty normal step to be a bit befuddled on.
You need to augment the final output as per mentioned above.
As, the output of our noise function can be thought of in a few ways.
Like the "density" (solid or air) of a point in this noise field, a "height" (how high/low this point is), and a few other ways too; which depending on how you interpret the output noise field is how your can visualize it.

I've got an article that I've been meaning to read, on poisson distributions: devmag.org.za/2009/05/03/poisson-disk-sampling/
Though for pseudo-"random" points I generally use hashing of a coordinate (such as for cellular noise, or for hashing my input coors per corner to get a gradient, or value).
So, I combine the 2D/3D/etc coordinate into a linear 1D coordinate (coor.x + coor.y * sizeOfRepeat + coor.z * sizeOfRepeat * sizeOfRepeat), and then hash this value using my choice of hashing algorithms (I use wang hashing as it provides very good distributions w/low overhead due to using all bit shifting/bit operations).

Indeed.
You could even go as far as to generate your distributions, and fade between neighboring points; which would probably fall in the category of "value" noise.

I'm just asking since I handle all my data internally as T[]. I made a support class called Grid that basically arranges the array with width/height semantics.

If I went into a 3D arrangement (lattice?) I'd have to do a lot more work; being able to take 3D points in a 2D field and output it into a texture is great news, then.

First level is almost completely done. The main idea of the game is to preserve a feeling of speed and powerful weaponry whilst the player actually dies quite quickly.

Well wait, isn't 3D noise by definition derived from 8 vertices? Otherwise this is just a partial slice.

Thought I guess I could make two layers and just interpolate them, that'd be simplest way to handle the data

Correct, on both accounts.
My note on utilizing 2D noise to emulate 3D, is to use 2D noise, and to augment the output of the 2D noise with the third vector component (Y comp, height); which makes the 2D noise spatially sensitive in a 3D sense.

If you want to have true 3D noise, and only use slices; you could utilize the gradients of the density field.
Such as: create each slice with (X,static Y, Z)… i.e. one component is incremented per slice (in this case, it's XZ slices of 3D noise).
Create three slices, and utilize the middle slice to perform trilinear interpolation as to get the gradient.
You would then know the direction the noise is going in (rate of change in the direction), and could utilize this for direction of grad/magnitude of change per grad/etc.
Example pic provided is a gradient field (or, the strict math name is vector field), and is nearly what you'd end up with (dimensions will be a single slice, if u only get grads of one slice… which requires data points on the +XYZ/-XYZ per point to attain a gradient).

so hoy many anons are going to be doing that shitty game jam that posted about?

also this exists lmao docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdB4Y9kASKgHiXJNVnhoH55PxGgggL00L716nXumrHZzaCvTQ/viewform?c=0&w=1

NEW

see

sounds like a waste of time

how do i make unity's particles not run like shit?