La mulana

Is this game any good, like Cave Story, or is it just another indie-shit meme game?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Binding_of_Isaac_(video_game)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike
kickstarter.com/projects/playism/la-mulana-2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How about trying it out?

Because I want some feedback from a fucking video game image board before pulling the trigger on a purchase, you microphone haired weirdo.

Jesus christ, user.

Cave Story is casual as fuck compared to La Mulana

I don't want you to play it.

It's good and it's hard but it requires patience. Lots of puzzles that require you to think Or you can look up a guide like I did

It looks like a metroidvania with very shitty jumping but solid combat mechanics
Lots of items, lots of reading, hidden secrets, many puzzles that require solving riddles.
It doesn't look like you gain any new movement avilities to progress through the maps, you just need to unlock doors by solving puzzles and surviving traps

I tried to play it but i couldn't get a joystick to work properlly

Which is better to play? The original version or the remastered one by Nicalis?

The original is easier, mostly because bosses don't have invulnerability frames. It's also a pain in the ass to get running and even the developers tell you to play the remaster.

Really good game, not much like cave story though. It has a fucking amazing OST, great boss battles, interesting puzzles that require the use of not only many in-game items, but actual thinking and deciphering, a pretty big world for a 2D game (with shitloads of branching and rejoining paths).
Literally the only problems with it are that it's hard to get into if you're dumb or short on time, and the jumping feels kind of shitty at first (no air-control, you have momentum from when you first jump, but then no more control), which isn't necessarily awful, just feels bad at first.

Didn't we tell you to fuck off, Deceased Crab?

Go with the remaster. It polished some things up. The only thing the original really has over it are two bonus games that reference several Konami games, and an area that's mostly copied from Maze of Galious.

It's good. Draw a map. Take notes.

It's an indie-shit meme game like Cave Story

You do get a double jump and wall grab.

INDIE MEME VS GOOD TABLE
Braid = meme
Cave Story = Good
La-Mulana = Good
Spelunky = Good
Undertale = meme

Super Meat Boy = Good
Binding of Isaac = meme
Terraria = Good
Stardew Valley = meme

Why?
I've sunk more hours into BoI than a lot of games and enjoyed every second of it.

I just think there are much better roguelikes and all it has going for it is its stinkypoopy xD Garbage Pail Kids Edmund McMillen art.

There are better ones, yes, but that doesn't automatically make BoI shit though.
I don't mind the art, but I can see why someone would hate it.
I think really like it because every run can have some shit happen that forces you to change how you're playing or end the run.
Plus, I enjoy it when I run into a string of items that make Isaac so retardedly OP that even the hardest bosses become a joke.

It's a free game, only the remastered version costs money.

But BOI isn't a roguelike, you dumb fucking nigger.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Binding_of_Isaac_(video_game)
Kill yourself

it's fun. Read the manual, play it until you get slightly stuck then read the manual again.
It will only help you a bit, I actually do recommend taking up a guide when you get stuck. some puzzles are so god damn cryptic its ridiculous.

easier? many puzzles got easier and some bosses got changed for example hitting mothers eye in the correct order

i forgot: WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING. MAKE YOUR OWN MAP

Everyone can write shit on wikipedia, you you double fucking nigger, it's not a source holy shit, how dumb can you be.

Come on

Even if you're really compelled to drop ten or fifteen dollars on whatever the retail version costs, a blind first playthrough is likely to last you upwards of 60 hours and it's almost universally praised by people who've actually played it here

Others got harder, I found the original easier too

Oh and also
Fucking wikipedia was a mistake.

Wow, you sure are mad about being completely wrong. Not saged, so people can continue to see how dumb you are.

La-Mulana is great.
Binding of Isaac is trash with repetitive gameplay. You'll have seen everything unique the game has to offer after about 30 minutes of play.

Requires high IQ and lots of patience, not for everyone.

I think La Mulana is pretty great for the first few areas but gets really bullshit after them. The first four or five places you get access to are all mostly self contained and only require one or two items from each other to progress but once you go past those it switches over to giving you access to a ton of areas you can't do anything in and you have to stumble around every area you have access to looking for the one puzzle in one room you can actually do something in, then repeating that process again over and over slowly grinding your way through the world.

While that puzzle was grade A bullshit, you can projectile spam almost every other boss to death within seconds in the original, so I'd say it cancels out at very least.

It's not for you, OP. Trust me. Keep on being a good boy and stick to your Xbox One and Ubisoft games.

CHARITY KINDNESS CHARITY CHARITY KINDNESS CHARITY KINDNESS KINDNESS

Depends, OP.

How much did you enjoy humping every wall in Doom for secrets?

Now how much would you enjoy it if a game based 100% of its progression around similar logic?

Congratulations on triggering my autism, user. I wouldn't classify Binding of Isaac as a roguelike. It's more like a Zelda clone with RNG elements. The game has barely anything common with traditional roguelikes like nethack or angband.

BoI is more accurately described as a twin-stick shooter, even if it's a relatively barebones example.

I have the Steam rip from 2013. I must have gotten it a year or two ago. Is this the remaster, I'd assume it is?

What do you think?

Steam is automatically remaster.

As for OP, I finally got it off my backlog last year and I have to say it's one of the best games I have played in at least that year, possibly multiple years. Once you figure out the intricacies of the movement system it goes from kinda clunky to fucking amazing.

The PS Vita version is excellent and it's on sale now for less than the PC version.

It is a really worthwhile game to play. Only real issue is that you likely will need a guide at a few points.

Faggots like you are why terms like "memegame" are laughed at on here.

Try suicide, it will be more fitting for you.

It's a freeware title you dicksucker, if you like it then buy the remaster (which is arguably uglier).

That remake OST tho.

What about the remake OST? The answer is that you're wrong and should feel bad.

Giant's Rage is better in the remake.

I want to hold out hope, but it gets harder with every passing month. Life is suffering.

OP here, really appreciate the replies. I bought the game earlier today and have put around 4 hours into it. Really enjoying it but holy shit it's overwhelmingly large.

I have only beaten 2 guardians (the fire breathing snakes and the giant statue). I have explored around 8 areas and am trying to map them. Is there a large map that stitches them all together than I can use for reference?

This is a much bigger game than I was expecting, which is awesome. How long does it generally take to beat this on a (relatively) guideless first playthrough?

It's a great game. Less shooty that cave story but tons to explore. It's metroidvania to the extreme.
also
Videogames are FREE

Shouldn't be totally necessary, there's an in-game map in both versions
Not that I can recall

Like I said earlier, personally the final file for my first playthrough said 50 hours so I'd estimate it's upwards of 60 with the time lost to unrecorded deaths. I can consistently make it through the whole thing in under five hours now and if I remember correctly the par speedrun time is like 1.5 hours

I don't know of any that are stitched together, but there are plenty of maps for the individual areas.
Pretty faggy, but if you're spending hours on a single puzzle then I guess it's forgivable.

The ingame map is shit. It just shows you the rough shape of the map with zero detail or information.

There's a program for that

If i remember right, they CANT be stitched together because they wrap around in weird ways. They dont just loop around in a circle.

Yeah, some of them technically overlap, and it would be tricky to show all of that AND the backside on one map anyway

Jesus Christ, THAT'S what's been holding me up this long? I haven't played in like two or three weeks because I just got completely stumped around Dimensional Corridor and Chamber of Birth, fucking figures it was random wall whacking I was missing.

what?

No spoilers but the map is twice as big as you think it is

There's like a negaverse for some maps. It's not as shitty as the reverse castle map in SotN, think of it like the other side of the mirror.

So, they're mirror images rather than rotations? How is that less shitty?

They're not literally mirrored levels, they're built around the same general setting but otherwise don't share the same layout or geometry or assets or anything

Ok, then that sounds good. The guy I was responding to gave a slightly confusing/misleading explanation.

It's a roguelike.
Roguelike means randomly generated dungeons that you explore more and more deeply with randomized character progression.

It doesn't mean ASCII characters or whatever and the style of gameplay doesn't need to be turnbased.

Spelunky and Diablo are both roguelikes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike
Hey, what do you know, wikipedia says otherwise.

Jesus Christ you're grasping at straws you sad fat fuck.

I personally didn't like La Mulana, but that's because I'm not the kind of gamer who would. Honestly there were tons of elements from it I really liked; the game has TONS of built-in sequence breaks, you can go into an area you are completely unprepared for and find late-game items if you're daring and skilled, and the overall game is deeply rooted in exploration, with every room being distinct and different from every other room, and all of them having their intricacies and secrets. The problem with it is that it's also a game that never, EVER holds your hand on ANYTHING. If you miss ONE clue, you could be stuck on a puzzle for hours not knowing where in the absolutely MASSIVE map that clue is. Some of the clues are incredibly obscure and difficult to puzzle out (though the good ones will make you feel like a clever bastard when you figure them out), and if you go into any given area, you never know if you're supposed to be there or if you need some other obscure item to get through. On top of that, the game sometimes seems to both require and punish experimentation. There are many cases where getting a puzzle wrong, trying to break a block that isn't breakable, or a variety of other things will cause you to take huge damage. I get that it's meant to discourage you from brute-forcing your way through puzzles, but it seems needlessly punishing.

I eventually got frustrated with La Mulana but I imagine some people would like it a lot. Hell, even I might like it if I used guides to get through it, though that seems like cheating so I never did. The original version is freeware, so just play that for a while and get the remastered version if you like it.

Oh, and the grail lets you warp. Look up how if you can't figure that out for yourself because it's really really really fucking important and the freeware game never really tells you about how to use it. The remastered version does though.

Its not a traditional roguelike. Those all have roguelike elements. But permadeath nor having procedurally generated dungeons makes it a roguelike. These are elements of roguelikes.

Its like saying spelunky plays like nethack. They play nothing like each other. Just because some basic design philosophies intersect doesn't mean much. They still aren't the same.

If you want to keep calling it a roguelike go for it user. But its just another bastardization of a term by the gaming industry in the attempt to get people to buy more shit. I clearly remember people writing articles about no mans sky as a roguelike. Its become a buzzword to say roguelike when the game just has procedural generation.

The gaming press as usual is to blame. And people just parrot what they hear. You're wrong, its not a biggie though.

Fucking hell. The word both you spergs are looking for is 'roguelite'.

Now stop shitting your pants and focus on the point of the thread; la mulana.

Remember to read the fucking manual. You NEED it.

Did you play the original or the remake? In the original there were no visible eyes of judgment, but it did way less damage. In the remake there are always visible eyes of judgment in a room where something is sacred and untouchable, but it does a lot more damage.

Me and a friend played the game at the same time. She thought the game was shit because "she had to hit random walls to find secrets but doing that killed her". Somehow she NEVER noticed the eyes of judgement even thou the lightning came from them and she made the same mistake over and over.

I played the remake. I'm not just talking about the Eyes though. There are also situations where you get spikes coming out of the floor when you get a puzzle wrong or somesuch. Also in the rooms with Eyes, it's sometimes really hard to tell what they will and will not zap you for.

I think the only one I thought was outright bullshit was the ledge in the Shrine of the Mother with a tablet on it that flattens you as soon as you land there, but that's only there because Naramura is a dick. Just about everything else was pretty fairly telegraphed to me, in the remake anyway. Remember any specific examples?

bro

I got a specific example, it's even posted in the thread already here:
Falling room in the Chamber of Birth, Eye of Judgement in the background but you have to hit a wall in the bottom right.

This isn't really related to anything in the thread, but I've tried to go through the game saving Amphisbaena for last
That doesn't work because it turns out that Yagoo Deluxe is necessary to look at the Shrine of the Mother map and make the statue for the Dragon Bone appear. And Yagoo Deluxe is through the Gate of Guidance/Gate of Illusion door.
So I just killed Sakit last instead

Also for OP, if you've found the holy grail yet, be sure to notice the shape of the map when you do solve the puzzle for it.

starjew is good if you pirate and turn it into a sex-dungeon / human trafficking simulator.

No, they mean you have to hit it from the other side, not in the actual falling tunnel. Eye of judgement doesn't like you hitting it while it's looking but if you go into the other room and hit it from the other side it's fine, it'll slide back and let you get the treasure chest. At least that's what I recall, it's been maybe a year since the last time I played it

Room next to it has an eye too though.

So does every room in the Chamber of Birth, the elephant statues are sacred. Don't have a good explanation as to why that one doesn't shock you, though, I guess that is trial and error

I consider La Mulana to be the very definition of artificial difficulty.

It is designed in a way that a guide is 100% necessary to progress the game. The "puzzles" are laughable "whip random places of the background in order" with no real clues. And then it requires you to learn a made up language.

Give it a pirate and try it out for yourself. The actual gameplay is fine, but the bullshit is maximum.

GitWise
All the puzzles on the game have a solution somewhere in the game. The one and only thing that the game doesnt tell you about is that defeating the boss in the lava zone opens the door behind the waterfall.
Every other puzzle can be figured out, even the WEIGHT puzzle

That puzzle actually has more clues than it needs since the same one that tells you the values also happens to be in the right order so you don't even need the ones that tell you the other traits.

La-Mulana makes sense when considered as a tribute to a very specific and often forgotten era of game history, difficult but fair and somewhat overdesigned adventure platformers with a touch of the infuriating moon logic of adventure games, but with clues always somewhere.

The original is even posed as a faux-MSX game, and has an area that's a straight rip from/tribute to Maze of Galious, its original inspiration. The whole design is meant to be like it was a forgotten game of that era.

Get good

Yeah the eyes of divine retribution disagree with you.

Yep. The only puzzles that are near impossible to figure out are the swimsuit puzzles.

There's very rarely any bullshit. The game's one giant jigsaw puzzle with clues thrown nearly every screen. Just which clues fit where is up to you to figure out.

the controls are clunky as hell. but that seems intentional for the retro feel. the puzzles can be a little too obscure at times but otherwise it's fantastic.

The exact fucking opposite you stupid nigger dicked shitstain. Aritifical difficulty is when devs make bullet sponges or tweak stats or some shit to extend make situations longer to finish. They increase attack so you die faster, something stupid like that. This game has better design. When you imporve on mechanics or design it is not artifical is is real. You are cancer and I hope you get banned for ever for brining this up and being wrng about it. I am going to find you and kill you if you're not banned. I am legit fucking mad.

cave story is an indie-shit meme game

Diablo 1 was actually designed as an action roguelike.

I wish someone would use the NX Engine implementation of Cave Story and remake all of La Mulana in it. That would easily solve all my problems with the controls. Alternatively, just put Quote in and let me shoot shit for days. That'd be cool. Anything with puzzle obscurity is fine, since this game is pretty fair with most of them. Really my only complaint was Lemeza's movement controls.

WHERE THE FUCK IS LA-MULANA 2?

Fifteen months late and counting

Kill yourself please

No, that's lazy game design, more accurately described as woodcutting instead of artificial difficulty. It doesn't make you play any better to progress, it just makes you take longer.

Artificial difficulty, as the term was originally used, referred to mechanics designed to fuck you over and there was nothing you could do about it without knowing about it in advance. Stuff like traps with absolutely no indication of their presence or random pits in the middle of the world you have to fall down with no indication that they one won't kill you like every other pit in the game.

If you can complete the game through skill alone with 0 foreknowledge, it's not artificially difficult.

Correction
Binding of Isaac Afterbirth(+) = meme
Binding of Isaac Antibirth = good

Is it actually a made up language? Or is it just a cipher because if it's just a cipher oh my god you're fucking retarded.

(you)
there are only four indiepixelshitz games that are not garbage and cave story is one of them.
the other two are La-mulana, AM2R and the original classic freeware spelunky

Cave Story is mediocre. La-Mulana is genuinely good.

Original, the remake fucks up the control options and has inferior music.

It's a cipher, but the way they expect you to learn and use it are pretty fucking retarded

All the areas have numbered doors that correspond to their warping number you know.

One of the first things i filled my notepad with while playing was the symbols on every door on every area and what they might represent, even the backside versions which are just the same but flipped. Except for that one area that is a backside and frontside combined and looped in some fucked up way.

That was what I thought of at first too, but I assumed the symbols were for their names rather than their numbers.

How are you supposed to know that Temple of the Sun was the third area? I went to the Spring in the Sky, first.

Either trial and error or like I said, finding a tablet that has a 3 and turning off your translation software to see what the symbol looks like.

yeah, each backside is based on its thematic opposite

Was about to make a long post about it, but you pretty much summed up what I was about to say.

OP here. Have just beaten Bahomet and am trying to take out Viy. This game is just fucking awesome.

How far through am I? I can't tell if 25% or 75%.

Bahamut even

There was a tablet, I think in the Giant's Mausoleum, that had every number on it.

Huh, neat. Well, keep in mind that there are 8 areas in total, each with a guardian, so you figure it out. Each frontside zone also has a corresponding backside zone, but I assume you've figured that out already (the Twinlabs is an exception, though).

Some general hints and gotchas, which may include minor spoilers:
After Viy, go back to the surface; the gateway to the Tower of the Goddess is located there for some reason, and will take you forever to stumble onto it otherwise. Shit design
To flood the tower, there is a pot you teleport with elsewhere, Mario-style. If you've done the Gateway of Illusion, you'll know what I mean, since it's a similar mechanic, again silly/bullshit
Shrine of the Mother has a puzzle which requires two specific softwares equipped; it may or may not be obvious, but this will reveal the solution to opening the path further

The biggest piece of bullshit is doing all of Chamber of Birth without a guide

I did most of Chamber of Birth without a guide and at least up to the pochette key a lot of it felt almost intuitive

Hold on, I'm an idiot, I confused Baphomet for Bahamut. Disregard, because that probably has a lot of stuff way past where you're at.

I fell into the beginner trap of killing Elmac without the Holy Grail, even with the manual. Eventually I pretty much stumbled my way through got him, Sakit, and Bahamut dead before I resorted to a guide.

I didn't even use a full guide though, I used a wiki and looked at where different items were located and their purpose and still had a lot of work cut out for me.

I was going to tell you off, but then I remembered that I only killed Amphisbaena halfway through the game because I couldn't figure out how to access the last room in Gate of Guidance.

I was basically a-ok with no guides or hints at all until I think temple of moonlight my first playthrough as I got really lucky stumbling through everything but I'm pretty sure someone had to tell me what to do about Anubis because just walking away and asking for help from that useless sack of shit Mulbruk just never occurred to me.

Yeah, see? I did the fucking same thing

Did you do the temple of moonlight / eden puzzle without a guide? Say yes and you're a damn liar.

I did most of it by myself, found all the hints and all four spots but needed someone to tell me I had to scan them because I didn't even think that I could scan something other than obvious tablets or skeletons.

I wonder what's happening?

If you're done with guardian 4 and onto guardian 5 you should be more or less halfway through, although personally I remember the last four guardians/zones taking noticeably longer than the first four. Maybe call it 1/3 of the way through
Good luck, he's probably the hardest fight in the game
Glad you're enjoying it so much, it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea

Sure, it's not that hard. All four hints have pretty distinct wording

Personally I remember needing help with the Dimensional Corridor puzzle where you have to swing your weapon left and then right in those four specific rooms in a specific order. It made sense in retrospect but I just couldn't make the association between that "souls of children long-departed" phrasing with that tablet waaaay earlier in the game

OP again…is there a La-Mulana 2 coming out? If so, holy shit. This game is definitely one of the more unique games I've tried. It doesn't shy away from being challenging and brutal, which is refreshing.

Oh pal you are late to the party, it's coming out and funded and everything
kickstarter.com/projects/playism/la-mulana-2
It was originally supposed to be released December 2015 but it got delayed. I think the demo is still available for download

Thanks for the info.

I've played Metroid and Castlevania before, but the amount of layering in this game, the density of it, seems like an order of magnitude beyond those games.

I'm just sitting here playing, being blown away and confused in equal measure. It's fantastic.

I fucking hate this shit hole

Shit is hard and confusing but the satisfaction you feel when it just clicks and figure it out is hard to compare.

I think you can just walk up the ladder. Hope you have the talisman, though :^)

Nigoro claims no one on the team had played Metroid prior to making the game. It's more like Maze of Galious, or King's Valley, or Treasure of Usas, those types of games
Yep, there's nothing else quite like it, especially considering it's technically amateur freeware and Nigoro had only made shitty little flash games prior to this

Do I have to equip that shit again? Ladder won't let me up but I guess I didn't try doing it with all the random retarded one use items equipped.

Apparently I don't have it anymore since I got the diary which I don't even remember what I did with. I did notice the sprite for the crystal skull is a little smiley face though.

God damn it by this point in the game I should have better known better

Will it not? Man, it's been a while since I played. I thought you hit the wall from the other side to get rid of that lower one and then the wall above that would just dissipate when you walked up the ladder like it does in some places in the Confusion Gate

Oh, excuse me, the mulana talisman, that's different than the talisman you swapped with the diary

Posting the beginner's guide too because its great

Yeah I tried equipping all my shit, climbing the ladder, using my shit on the ladder, hitting the block above from both below and trying to hit the wall next to it like I did to open the part below, none of it did anything so it's probably something else. Then I went back to hunting for whatever the pochete key activated and couldn't find shit, then I went back to tower of ruin and tried to figure out shit there and didn't make any meaningful progress and now I'll probably just shelf the game for another week or two and repeat the process later.

Honestly, as frustrating as Viy is, I think he's one of the best designed bosses

Compared to say, Palenque. I never realized he was a subweapon boss and just melee'd him with the Katana. Jesus christ, that was awful.

No you have to leave the fucking area and jump over the pit, and then break the wall from offscreen

Tried that, didn't do anything.

A little bit like real life, but with the purpose, reward and satisfaction parts more frequent or even present in the first place.

Finally beat the cunt. Absolutely slaughtered the eye stalk with the axe first chance of doing it, then dumped a metric shit tonne of caltrops on the motherfucker, then just took it slow and steady and waited till I could reach with the axe again, but when in doubt just throwing shurikens at the cunt.

There's a funny way to kill him in speedrunning
You get a software for increased damage, an item for attack speed, and just jump into his main body and hammer him with the axe until he's dead. Takes one cycle.

Brutal, I love it. I wasn't quite that hardcore but I died to him like 10 times so it was satisfying basically 'getting' the fight and pushing that fuckers shit in.

I've tried to pick up La-Mulana a few times, never really getting farther than Temple of the Sun. It's not because I dislike it, but because the game requires such an active participation that something ALWAYS inevitably happens that drags me away from the game, and breaks my tempo with the game.

I hope to get to it eventually, especially since I've got a lot of free time recently, but I've got a question. I've got the Steam/DRM-free PC release, and I got the Vita port. Which version should I play? Also, LRG release of La-Mulana EX WHEN? I'd buy that shit literally in a heart-beat.

I would recommend the PC version just because you can take screenshots of tablet hints and places of interest, lets you circumvent equipping that shitty text record software entirely.

Vita supports screenshots too.

Really rustles my jimjams.

>being able to remap every single control except the movement keys is really that big of a deal
Sounds like it's your problem, fam

You can't pretend that the remake isn't a good game too.

Remake still doesn't have PR3. Checkmate faggots.

Original doesn't have adequate gamepad support and the remake doesn't have compatibility issues with modern OS, your move

They could just update it to work properly like they said they would

The remake has an official, DRM-free Linux version.

Checkmate.

Wow when did that become a thing? That's pretty damn progressive for a Japanese doujin developer. They're usually cucked by Windows hard. Now if they would just fix the fucking controls.

It got ported for a humble bundle. Even though the site is pozzed as shit, occasionally they do something right for a change. La-Mulana was available on a numbered bundle (the ones that still adhere to the DRM-free, cross-platform, pay what you want shit) about 2 years ago, I'd say?

Ayy have a bump

What's wrong with them?

One last bump

Don't forget to grab the uncensored texture pack for statue titties when you get to the Tower of the Goddess

Literally nothing

Garbage support for keyboard input remapping, even though the original did it well.

Know what else required you to move with the arrow keys? :^)

Nothing at all. Who is the retard sperging about the the remake? It's still a really fun game.

And it was shit then too. The Western PC scene progressed beyondthat crap in the mid-'90s. La-Mulana was a standout game in the doujin scene because most of its peers are utterly oblivious to the concept of customization or better default controls. It's tragic that they fucked that up in the remake. And this was in spite of repeated requests by fans to add proper remapping in too.

Another way to think about the problem is that La-Mulana was a PC game and it understood it. La-Mulana Remake started focused on a console audience (Wii) and failed to provide expected features when bringing back to PC. On a PC I don't want to play with a controller for 2D gaming unless it needs an analog stick.

Right, THAT'S why, not because of a finely tuned understanding of challenge or a staggering amount of intricate content, or being one of the only games which successfully and accurately captured the retro style. It was because you could move with WASD.

Normally I abhor crowdfunding, but this is one of the few games I feel really good about funding. I only have 2 games I've ever kickstarted, and this is one of them.

The other is what could turn out to be another good metroidvania game, Timespinner.

I didn't say that was the only reason.

But you've made such a big deal out of it (and for years, I'll add) that you may as well have. They probably don't prioritize customized directional movement because these are adult men who grew up playing MSX and that's the controls they're used to, since you can customize literally everything about the controls on both keyboard and gamepad besides the movement. To say you're making a mountain out of a molehill would be putting it lightly

Still getting butthurt whenever someone mentions that they like Iji, too?

Is is a big deal though, and I'm tired of seeing games crippled by it. The reason that most doujin developer don't prioritize customized keyboard remapping is because in Japan almost everyone just uses a controller. One reason the original La-Mulana might have been an exception is precisely because the MSX used a keyboard and they realized how inconsiderate it was to make everyone play on that default layout.

Regardless, I'm tired of settling for this low standard when we've had a much higher one in the Western PC scene for decades. Lack of customization in controls is always a perfectly valid criticism and especially so in PC games.

At least La-Mulana Remake has controller detection as an alternative. Iji doesn't even have that, and thus its control options are just about as embarrassingly incompetent as they could possibly be.

Here's the thing that you don't seem to understand. Yes, it sucks when a PC game doesn't allow you to rebind controls. Yes, it should be standard. But, while that is one of the most important and highest priority features in your mind, almost no one else sees it the same way. You see, our minds aren't so broken that we get so hung up on it that we can't enjoy the rest of the game. We are able to adapt to the controls, put up with a slight amount of discomfort of learning something new, because we aren't autists who think having options in how you control the game is more important than the game itself.

I might agree if there were anything wrong with the original's (and remake's) default control scheme, but I have never remotely felt compelled to rebind the keyboard controls. It controls like an MSX game.

You see, this autist apparently abhors using the arrow keys for movement. Apparently, since he's a weirdo who absolutely refuses to even occasionally use a control scheme that's been standard for over two decades, any game that he can't change it without using an external program is automatically bad and no one should like it.

You have upset me by reminding me of this fact.

I have no idea what version GOG has and thee other one. But I got two copies from pirating. I will see what this game is all about. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well I'm glad it's not an issue for you. I understand that perfectly well. But just because you tolerate it does not in any way make it a bad or invalid criticism.

Control is the single most important part of any game for me. Any time I critique a game I start with control and then move on to other aspects. And in light of the fact that I am really tired of the doujin scene not progressing their customizations standards to a level the rest of the world figured out decades ago, I make sure to bring it up at everyone opportunity I can now to keep it in people's minds. I would really, really like La-Mulana 2 to get things right this time.

Standard for whom exactly? People used arrows for games in the '80s and early '90s but eventually some time around the mid-'90s with Quake and others there was a general realization that arrows keys were designed for basic document navigation but don't necessarily work well for video games where movement inputs are pressed with a very different level of frequency and engagement, and a shift to WASD happened. WASD, not arrows, has been the standard for over two decades now. The problem is the Japanese doujin scene, largely isolated from the rest of the world's PC game development culture, stayed frozen in time.

Of course that argument is always a distraction because the real problem isn't default control schemes. The problem is lack of customization. Any idiot can shit out a horrible default setup and still have it corrected by the player's preference if they simply provide proper customization support

WASD has only been the standard for games that also use the mouse. 2D games, especially platformers, have 99% had the default movement keys be the arrows, with either z or shift being the main action key.

And the fact remains is that you always have to bring up your personal criticism whenever someone mentions the game in a favorable light, not just to share your opinion, but to criticize the person who praised the game. You act like it's a crime to like these games. Just look at your post here , implying that it's wrong to prefer the remake to the original purely on the basis that you can't rebind the movement keys. You're being, and have been, an obnoxious twat over an issue that no one is nearly as concerned about and getting butthurt over the fact that no one is nearly as concerned about it.

Yeah there's no way that will be a fucking disaster

Naramura, duplex, and Samieru, probably

Yeah right, unless making me sad is a disaster, which it's a travesty.

herp

I have never once explicitly acted like that, and the post you highlighted was more about the fact that it's really irritating to discuss La-Mulana when other people are discussing La-Mulana Remake, because they happen to have quite a significant amount of game design differences. Be explicit faggots; they are in fact different games.

Given that they feature an overwhelming majority of the same content, I would broadly say about 90-95% of the same content, I don't really feel compelled to draw a distinction between them. This isn't like the need to distinguish between RE1 and REmake. You do remember one of the major reasons that they said they're making La-Mulana 2 was because there was barely anything different about the remake, right?

I'll call it La-Mulana Classic or Old La-Mulana now so that there's no confusion, thanks for pointing it out

Thanks.

The Binding of Isaac meets four of those five criteria. What were you trying to prove?

oh boy i cant wait for weapons randomly getting nerfed to shit because someone misread what to nerf, broken achievements, bugs FEATURES and constant updates and new content*
*: just a texture pack related to the season