Battleye

Insurgency and apparently a few other shooters have this now.
What's the consensus on this? Shit looks shady as fuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

newworldinteractive.com/introducing-battleye-anti-cheat/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it's shit

Wouldn't be surprised if its spyware

The fuck is this?

Anti cheat software is pretty much spyware by definition. The best measures against cheaters are still votekick and active mods.

user, going from kids games to pedo games is not the right path to take.

battleye is the one used in arma, and it just werks

Doesn't Planetside 2 use this? I remember hearing grumblings from that community a few months ago regarding a new anti-cheat measure.

Hmm, no.

Pissed that the Insurgency devs added it. They give you the option of installing it or not, but if you want to actually play the game you'll find that most servers have it on and you'll be endlessly kicked for not having it installed. I've played hundreds of hours of it and I have never encountered a cheater.

R6 Siege uses it but it doesn't actually install it as far as I know. Not sure how that works.

It was because it apparently got quite a few "false positives" with some of the "top" players in the community.

It's a ploy to get more players to buy nuInsurgency Sandniggerstorm when it comes out. Or at least don't make it look like a disaster when people compare the playerbases of the two games side to side. Instead of making a GOOD game, we are going to kill our previous game.
Yes I mad.

Noticed this recently too since I hadn't played Insurgency in a while. There's next to no information out there as to whether it works or not, since it seems like a relatively new service, so no consensus yet. I'm not even really sure what it does. My assumption? It's a next-generation Punkbuster, so it probably works just as well as that did (hint: badly).

All of these anti-cheat systems (and anti-anything systems, really) are pretty much an exercise in delaying the inevitable. They're just there to stave off cheaters for as long as people still care about the game, then the new shiny thing comes out and everybody drops the old one.

I really, really don't like the idea of these systems without even knowing how they work. I don't think I've ever encountered cheaters in Insurgency or R6 Siege.

or quickening, as is the case here. """""Sequel""""" announced and a week later they put in a piece of spyware to solve a nonexistent problem. Which will only drive away their current playerbase, 90% of which will buy the sequel regardless because people have the memory of a fucking goldfish. Pure coincidence goyim.
The only people you see complaining about hackers are the usual suspects that blindingly support anything the devs do because they can do no wrong. That, and/or they are probably so shit at the game they feel anyone better than them must be hacking.

I don't know about that, chances are they're going to use the same anti-cheat in the sequel as well. My thinking is more that FPS titles who want the veneer of legitimacy for the sake of fostering some sort of competitive eSports community put this sort of anti-cheat stuff in. But in practice there's always going to be cheaters who slip through the cracks.

I think that if companies want these sorts of anti-cheat systems in their games, they need to at least be transparent about what they are installing on their customers' computers.

This is the best answer.

The best anticheat is having an active community to curb it.
It's a bit more work than letting some spyware "protect" your server for you, but it's much more controllable and much more accurate than having an anti cheat spying on what you're doing such as what Easy Anti-Cheat does.

BATTLEYE EULA

** End-User License Agreement **

This License Agreement ("Agreement") is made between you (the "Licensee") and BattlEye Innovations e.K. (the "Licensor"). The terms of this Agreement apply to all current and future versions and updates of BattlEye anti-cheat software ("BattlEye").

By installing, enabling or using BattlEye, Licensee agrees with all the terms of this Agreement. Licensor reserves all rights not specifically granted and transferred to Licensee.

Licensee understands, acknowledges and agrees with the following:

- Licensor grants Licensee a non-exclusive and non-transferable license to use BattlEye for non-commercial purposes only. Licensee therefore does not own BattlEye, Licensor remains the owner of BattlEye.

- Licensor provides BattlEye on an "as is" basis without warranty of any kind. Licensor neither guarantees the correct, error-free functioning of BattlEye nor is Licensor responsible for any damage caused by the use of BattlEye.

- Licensee may not decompile, disassemble, reverse-engineer, modify or redistribute BattlEye in any way.

- BattlEye will automatically, without notice to Licensee, download and install updates from time to time.

- BattlEye may scan Licensee's entire random access memory (RAM), and any game-related and system-related files and folders on Licensee's system using cheat-program-identifying algorithms, report results of such algorithms to other connected computers and/or to Licensor and store such information for the sole purpose of preventing and detecting the use of cheat programs. BattlEye only scans and/or reports data which absolutely needs to be scanned and/or reported to meet this purpose.

- BattlEye may further report and store Licensee's Internet Protocol address, game account name and identifier, in-game nickname, and system-related and hardware-related information including, but not limited to, device identifiers and hardware serial numbers.

- Licensor values Licensee's privacy and does its utmost to protect it at all times. BattlEye does not report any personally identifiable information or personal data except for any information/data specifically mentioned herein.

- Licensor stores all information collected by BattlEye on servers located in Europe and/or the US. Licensor may share the information with its partners and/or affiliates.

- Licensee acknowledges that the invasive nature of BattlEye is necessary to meet its purpose and goal of preventing and detecting cheat programs.

- Licensor is allowed to terminate the license at any time for any reason and without notice to Licensee.

This License Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between Licensor and Licensee and supersedes any prior statements.

This is NWI's statement on the introduction of Battleye into Insurgency:

newworldinteractive.com/introducing-battleye-anti-cheat/

That's bullshit but I believe it.

Some people in the Steam announcement thread were complaining that the company that manages Battleye is known to sell the information it gathers but I can't find a source verifying that claim.

Is this a fucking joke? How in the fuck could a bunch of retards voting on whether or not someone is cheating be more accurate than monitoring your whole system?

this

Yeah, and all the "top" VS players "mysteriously" disappeared once it was implemented

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw they were dropping development for Shitstorm.
It's a real shame, but I doubt I'll be playing the game anymore.

I think this is what Rainbow Six: Siege uses too. It gave me some errors with MacType, an alternative font rendering engine.
Like all anti-cheat solutions it's basically spyware, but it's better than some of the other bullshit out there.

While we're on the topic of anti-cheat, EAC can be easily worked around I just saw a guy streaming Dirty Bomb and, despite already being banned from the game, he was still playing and actively hacking.

Here's how you do an easy community run anti-cheat system:

I think you're forgetting that those humans in step three aren't bots and will cost money as well as probably be incompetent fucks.